• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014's Game of the Year? Youkai Watch 2

Impotaku

Shinuchi is fast approaching so i thought this great thread should be brought back to life. Currently getting my teams ready for transfer into the shinuchi version while attempting to unlock all the legend youkai in ganso/honke slowly getting there but some are elusive as ever. Managed to finally get all the gotouchi youkai from the ukiukipedia arcade cards, their evolved forms look fantastic and i love how they integrated what each areas speciality is into the youkai designs like the tachi nebuta lantern festival, also a clever wordplay joke as the youkai for the tachi nebuta is a sleeping pig.

Finally got the gold egg in front of the train station to spit out it's secret and praying daily at the shrine has also paid off. Still cant get more than a few floors down in the infinite hell dungeon though, i wonder if i'll ever make it to dondoro let alone battle him.

Between the 3 versions i have so far i must have easily put in several hundred hours and yet i still haven't seen everything in thsese games.

Caramello

Oh man, first time reading the OP and was just feeling sad that I'd never get to play it.

Then scrolling when I realized it had been recently bumped and BOOM!!! Instant happiness!!!

Impotaku

YAY i managed to win the youkai watch medaland lottery campaign, for those uninitiated in the delights of the youkai watch website you can register the medal QR codes online to add the medals to your online encyclopedia along with that you can use the medals you registered to play the fortune shrine to win points to use in the lottery, also the act of registering a new medal will give you ponts.

Every month or so they have a campaign to win a rare legend medal these are usually exclusive to the site and cant be obtained any other way than entering the lottery and hoping you win.

This is the 5th campaign they have done & this time it was to win the unchikuma (lol) medal
campaign%205.jpg

Usually the gods of luck don't shine on me but tonight they did as instead of seeing Wisper who is the face of faliaure i got to see Jibanyan proclaiming i had won. I doubt it will ever happen again so i took screen grabs :lol:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/importaku/WINNER.jpg
And there it is, just need to add an address to claim it.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/importaku/winner 2.jpg

Sorry Japanese kids there is only 49,999 now left to try and win lol.

I've been intrigued by Youkai Watch since last year but never got around to it (too busy IRL). But I'm curious since it's super popular in Japan and may very well topple Pokemon. I'm pretty sure Japanese kids are more about Jibanyan now than Pikachu.

I read the first post and got Shin Megami Tensei vibes (giving food and inviting demons...err...Yokai, fusing!?) Is this for real? I'm a diehard fan of the fusion system in SMT/Persona games. In fact I got bored of playing Pokemon Y because I was yearning to fuse Pokemon. How does this game compare to the SMT fusion system?

Also, which game should I play? I only have time for one game, and preferably I would like to play the version which is more streamlined. I read Japanese and have a Japanese 3DS so language is not a problem...usually.

Impotaku

I've been intrigued by Youkai Watch since last year but never got around to it (too busy IRL). But I'm curious since it's super popular in Japan and may very well topple Pokemon. I'm pretty sure Japanese kids are more about Jibanyan now than Pikachu.

I read the first post and got Shin Megami Tensei vibes (giving food and inviting demons...err...Yokai, fusing!?) Is this for real? I'm a diehard fan of the fusion system in SMT/Persona games. In fact I got bored of playing Pokemon Y because I was yearning to fuse Pokemon. How does this game compare to the SMT fusion system?

Also, which game should I play? I only have time for one game, and preferably I would like to play the version which is more streamlined. I read Japanese and have a Japanese 3DS so language is not a problem...usually.

Probably the second game would be best either ganso or honke or maybe even the nearly released shinuchi version, they have a lot of content compared to first game so if you are looking for max content they would be the best starting point, yup you can indeed fuse youkai.

Either merging 2 together to make a new one or by fusing a youkai with an item to make it evolve, there are also ones that evolve at a set level. You can't just fuse anything though only certain ones can be fused but if they are able to and you have the required pair of youkai an item they will be higlighted in the menu when you goto the guy at the shrine to fuse. You can also fuse items too for making equippable items.

Any unwanted youkai that you have can be reduced to a soul, you can then feed these souls to each other to make them level up. You can then equip these souls to your youkai for added stat boosts. If you manage to get a certain combination and fuse them together they can turn into a rare soul with some pretty cool effects when equipped.

Impotaku

Is Youkai Watch 1 worth playing? This topic makes me tempted to import.

Yeah all of them are worth playing each has it's unique points plus the games reward you for having all of the versions as they all link together in some way to unlock extra content. It would make more sense to start at the very beginning, however the 2nd games has a lot more content so that's a good point to start as well however you'd miss out on all the story about how Keita first discovered the youkai world.

I have played and completed all 3 so far and enjoyed them all a lot.

I started play the first one, having furigana is really helpfull so I can look on dictionary for words I don't know, L5 always do this, I also bought Fantasy Life but I didn't like the characters, seemed too childish.

Hope I can go through the game so I can play someday the sequel, I just have to get used to the combact system, having Youkai fighting by themself makes me feel strange, I mean, I feel I don't have the situation under my control, but whatever.

I don't know if YW2 is GOTY 2014 but if you mean Japan GOTY 2014, YW2 wins by hands down.

Unicorn

Shit. This reminded me that the remake of the original DQM's from GB that got remade for 3DS never got localized. What a travesty!

I need some DQM in my life!

Dragon Warrior Monsters was my favorite game after Pokemon Blue, but before Pokemon Silver. It did so many things unique and awesome that even pokemon games now don't do (Breeding to get new monsters - truly customizable move lists for monsters through breeding).

Probably the second game would be best either ganso or honke or maybe even the nearly released shinuchi version, they have a lot of content compared to first game so if you are looking for max content they would be the best starting point, yup you can indeed fuse youkai.

Either merging 2 together to make a new one or by fusing a youkai with an item to make it evolve, there are also ones that evolve at a set level. You can't just fuse anything though only certain ones can be fused but if they are able to and you have the required pair of youkai an item they will be higlighted in the menu when you goto the guy at the shrine to fuse. You can also fuse items too for making equippable items.

Any unwanted youkai that you have can be reduced to a soul, you can then feed these souls to each other to make them level up. You can then equip these souls to your youkai for added stat boosts. If you manage to get a certain combination and fuse them together they can turn into a rare soul with some pretty cool effects when equipped.

Thanks so much! I may look into getting the newest game depending on the cost.

Muzy72

Banned
Crossing my fingers for a June 2015 release in the west~

Does the first one still hold up pretty well? I've heard YW2 is better in every aspect.

Also, hopefully if we ever get YW2 we just get the expanded re-release, kinda like what happened with MonHun 4 and Bravely Default.

Top Bottom