• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

Articalys

Thanks, a few follow-up questions:
- What's the major difference between the i5-6300HQ and i7-6700HQ? Is the latter better for stuff like emulation?
- Similarly, how much of a difference does 2GB vs 4GB make on the GTX 960M?
- I'm guessing my insistence on Win10 Pro is eliminating a lot of options from other manufacturers? Do you think Dell is a "bad" brand nowadays or just not up to par with the ones you listed earlier?
- And just because I'm curious, do you personally think a built-in CD/DVD drive is important?

Marche90

- What's the major difference between the i5-6300HQ and i7-6700HQ? Is the latter better for stuff like emulation?
- I'm guessing my insistence on Win10 Pro is eliminating a lot of options from other manufacturers? Do you think Dell is a "bad" brand nowadays or just not up to par with the ones you listed earlier?
- And just because I'm curious, do you personally think a built-in CD/DVD drive is important?

Let's see.

-The major differences are the clock speed , both in base and turbo configurations (2.3 vs 2.5 GHz and 3.2 vs 3.5 GHz) and the number of threads available, since th i7 supports hyper-threading, while the i5 does not. If you want emulation, the latter one is better simply due to being slightly higher-clocked
-As long as you keep some settings down (graphical quality and textures, mainly), not that much. If you want to crank textures to the max, for example, then you'll quickly hit a performance ceiling.
-That Dell you got linked to is currently considered one of the best budget gaming notebooks, and Dell is not a bad brand at all.
-Only if you use physical media or want to watch dvd's/blu-rays on the go. If not, it doesn't really matter. For example, my laptop came with an external blu-ray writer, but I haven't used it even once.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

Sorry I didn't mean to link the Dell, this Sager is what I was recommending you configure. Even has Win 10 Pro as an option. I think it's a better option than the Dell.

GTX 960M is a GTX 750 Ti, 4GB probably doesn't matter.

Built in optical drive only matters if reasons to have one immediately pop into your head. Most people never realize that they've never used theirs.

I really looking to get into pc gaming

Budget is around $1100 or so

main interest: Modding (fallout 4/skyrim) + maybe Gta 5 .. but yeah mods

would this be a good laptop to run these games with many mods on high/ultra settings + stable good fps (35+ *console player*)

ASUS ROG G751JT-WH71 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232863

I also plan on playing using my TV as a display

Amazing price, buy immediately, they'll be gone soon.

UraMallas

I am thinking of upgrading my laptop to play games that are coming out this year. Mainly, I want to play Civ VI on very high settings.

I'm thinking of getting the 17" Acer Predator with the 970m. $1500.00 is a little above what I'd like to spend but I think it might be worth it. What do you guys think of this laptop? I would also like to be able to hook it up to my TV via HDMI and play on my TV. Is there any comparable laptops for less?

You think the current ones will drop more? That Asus ROG G751JT is pretty tempting at $1100.00, now that I'm looking at it.

I'm not the best to answer that, someone here more experienced in tracking pricedrops can answer that, but it'd make sense for new 1080m/1070m laptops to come out and lower the price of laptops with older graphics cards

K.Jack

I am thinking of upgrading my laptop to play games that are coming out this year. Mainly, I want to play Civ VI on very high settings.

I'm thinking of getting the 17" Acer Predator with the 970m. $1500.00 is a little above what I'd like to spend but I think it might be worth it. What do you guys think of this laptop? I would also like to be able to hook it up to my TV via HDMI and play on my TV. Is there any comparable laptops for less?

That's grossly overpriced. You could get this Sager with a G-Sync panel for around $1,400 shipped.

You think the current ones will drop more? That Asus ROG G751JT is pretty tempting at $1100.00, now that I'm looking at it.

Drop more, no. They'll just disappear.

UraMallas

That's grossly overpriced. You could get this Sager with a G-Sync panel for around $1,400 shipped.

Drop more, no. They'll just disappear.

Well, then I don't see a point in waiting. Also, G-Sync is necessary, do you think? I don't really know what it does. I'll be playing it a lot on my TV, just FYI.

jetsetrez

Are the 10 series laptops really coming so soon? I feel like a bunch of laptops were only recently announced and still had old 960Ms. :(

Also, if they do hit soon, should the expectations be they will be priced similarly to the current lineup? Like, I've been eyeing that Dell i7559 for a long time, as it seems like an excellent value and not too gaudy, with 960M for $799. Is it reasonable to expect an updated model with 1060M for around that price soon?

And with the new cards being more powerful despite being more power efficient, does that mean they should run cooler/be more reliable? The 10 series sounds like something I really want to wait for, but I'd love to upgrade soon.

K.Jack

LMAO everything about the 1080M had to be pulled offline. The Nvidia ninjas are real. PC-Konsulten put up their preorder page for the new GT72 way too early.

I have the screenshot of the specs saved though

Well, then I don't see a point in waiting. Also, G-Sync is necessary, do you think? I don't really know what it does. I'll be playing it a lot on my TV, just FYI.

The reason to wait would be to get a 1070M laptop for around the same price the 970M ones go for right now, which is $1300 to $1500. The performance leap will be massive, so those who can wait absolutely should. Even the $1200 budgeted gamer should probably wait for the GTX 1065M.

On the real I certainly can't blame anyone who jumps on that Asus, as the real mobile Pascal release date is currently a mystery. The PC-Konsulten preorder page (taken down quickly) said late July. which is the first solid date we've seen thus far, but that means nothing until Nvidia publicly announces the GPUs so preorders can officially go up.

Are the 10 series laptops really coming so soon? I feel like a bunch of laptops were only recently announced and still had old 960Ms. :(

Also, if they do hit soon, should the expectations be they will be priced similarly to the current lineup? Like, I've been eyeing that Dell i7559 for a long time, as it seems like an excellent value and not too gaudy, with 960M for $799. Is it reasonable to expect an updated model with 1060M for around that price soon?

And with the new cards being more powerful despite being more power efficient, does that mean they should run cooler/be more reliable? The 10 series sounds like something I really want to wait for, but I'd love to upgrade soon.

My thought has always been that people should be prepared to wait into August or September.

As far as price, the laptops with new GPUs always launch at the same prices of the previous generation, which means, machines with 1060M = ~$1k, 1065M = ~$1.2k, 1070M = ~$1.4, 1080m = ~$1.9k, give or take $100 USD at each level.

Articalys

Sorry I didn't mean to link the Dell, this Sager is what I was recommending you configure. Even has Win 10 Pro as an option. I think it's a better option than the Dell.

GTX 960M is a GTX 750 Ti, 4GB probably doesn't matter.

Built in optical drive only matters if reasons to have one immediately pop into your head. Most people never realize that they've never used theirs.
Just curious why Sager is a better brand in your opinion? Is it a build quality or support thing, or do they use better parts for memory/storage or something? Not to drag on your recommendation or anything, but after pricing them both out it seems like the Dell can offer the same performance for about $150 less (minus the optical drive and some ports I probably wouldn't use), so unless it's going to fall apart on me in the first year, I'm leaning towards that.

K.Jack

Just curious why Sager is a better brand in your opinion? Is it a build quality or support thing, or do they use better parts for memory/storage or something? Not to drag on your recommendation or anything, but after pricing them both out it seems like the Dell can offer the same performance for about $150 less (minus the optical drive and some ports I probably wouldn't use), so unless it's going to fall apart on me in the first year, I'm leaning towards that.
Going with the Sager just depends on if you want the flexibility of configuration or not.

The only knock against the Dell is that most professional and consumer reviewers say it comes with a really low quality IPS. Good viewing angles, bad dull color reproduction.

Buying the Dell and adding an HDD in the empty slot is a solid move, if you're okay with the above.

UraMallas

LThe reason to wait would be to get a 1070M laptop for around the same price the 970M ones go for right now, which is $1300 to $1500. The performance leap will be massive, so those who can wait absolutely should. Even the $1200 budgeted gamer should probably wait for the GTX 1065M.

On the real I certainly can't blame anyone who jumps on that Asus, as the real mobile Pascal release date is currently a mystery. The PC-Konsulten preorder page (taken down quickly) said late July. which is the first solid date we've seen thus far, but that means nothing until Nvidia publicly announces the GPUs so preorders can officially go up.

My thought has always been that people should be prepared to wait into August or September.

As far as price, the laptops with new GPUs always launch at the same prices of the previous generation, which means, machines with 1060M = ~$1k, 1065M = ~$1.2k, 1070M = ~$1.4, 1080m = ~$1.9k, give or take $100 USD at each level.

This is incredibly helpful. I'll wait, then, because I'm really only buying it for Civ VI and if it will be the same price for a much higher performance no point in getting one now. My current laptop runs Civ V and Cities just fine. Actually, it does have problems with Cities but whatevs.

Thanks!

LMAO everything about the 1080M had to be pulled offline. The Nvidia ninjas are real. PC-Konsulten put up their preorder page for the new GT72 way too early.

I have the screenshot of the specs saved though

The reason to wait would be to get a 1070M laptop for around the same price the 970M ones go for right now, which is $1300 to $1500. The performance leap will be massive, so those who can wait absolutely should. Even the $1200 budgeted gamer should probably wait for the GTX 1065M.

I just want an announcement of laptops, I can wait until August/September. I just want to know what to expect.

Articalys

Going with the Sager just depends on if you want the flexibility of configuration or not.

The only knock against the Dell is that most professional and consumer reviewers say it comes with a really low quality IPS. Good viewing angles, bad dull color reproduction.

Buying the Dell and adding an HDD in the empty slot is a solid move, if you're okay with the above.
Do you know how the Sager is with heat dissipation? That's the only other real criticism I've seen for the Dell (aside from general griping about the slower 5600rpm HDD), and I've tried looking up reviews for the former but can't find much. If the video card GB cache really doesn't make much of a difference if not on ultra settings, and the Sager has a faster HDD, better display, and stays cooler, that might be enough to sway me back.

(sorry to keep peppering you with questions but I do appreciate the advice)

Fusebox

Banned
If Alienware has a 13" OLED model available this summer with a 1065M, and that 1065M is truly about 50% more powerful than the current 965M... well, then, yeah... it's a definite buy from me. Period. I'm salivating at the thought.

Why the love for Alienware? Imo they make the worst looking, heaviest and thickest gaming laptops.

Maximum budget: 1k
Max size: 15" Screen
Planned usage: Video Processing and Editing (Transferring footage and working with it in a non linear editing software (Final Cut, Adobe, etc)
Ideally: I've been looking at this Dell:
https://www.amazon.com Link
It has 15" screen, an independent graphics card, easily accessible ram/hdd upgrades, plenty of usb ports, and an IPS screen.
Relevant: Want to hook it up to an external display (ideally 4k, will start with 1080) for reviewing footage

Planned usage: Video Processing and Editing (Transferring footage and working with it in a non linear editing software (Final Cut, Adobe, etc)
It has 15" screen, an independent graphics card, easily accessible ram/hdd upgrades, plenty of usb ports, and an IPS screen.
Relevant: Want to hook it up to an external display (ideally 4k, will start with 1080) for reviewing footage

I'm looking very seriously at this model as well. The only major drawback I've seen mentioned so far is that the WiFi in it can be unreliable. Hopefully someone who already owns one can elaborate on it.

Hey! Entered the world of Laptop PC gaming.

31 years old and my mum buys me an Asus GL552V (reason being was mY old Mac broke and we bumped into each other at PC world and she bought it as "your my son)

8gb DDR4 Ram and a 2GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M graphics card.

I dont expect to run the latest games at ultra and 60fps but it will be mainly for RTS games and my steam collection.

Need to ask though, I have all the command and conquer games, what other series are worth my time?

Also I would love to play the elder scrolls games again, and fallout 3 and NV. Anyone know a good place to look at how to install mods etc on PC?

And last question, how do I stream games from Xbox one to my laptop?

K.Jack

Do you know how the Sager is with heat dissipation? That's the only other real criticism I've seen for the Dell (aside from general griping about the slower 5600rpm HDD), and I've tried looking up reviews for the former but can't find much. If the video card GB cache really doesn't make much of a difference if not on ultra settings, and the Sager has a faster HDD, better display, and stays cooler, that might be enough to sway me back.

(sorry to keep peppering you with questions but I do appreciate the advice)

Clevo/Sager machines always have top of the line heat management. The best really.

Here's a review of the previous year's model. They seem to be pretty similar.

The Dell may be a bad fit for your needs, as its IPS has reviewed as being of really poor quality. The times when you're away from an external monitor won't be fun.

I want to recommend this Sager laptop to you as well.

Hey! Entered the world of Laptop PC gaming.

31 years old and my mum buys me an Asus GL552V (reason being was mY old Mac broke and we bumped into each other at PC world and she bought it as "your my son)

8gb DDR4 Ram and a 2GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M graphics card.

I dont expect to run the latest games at ultra and 60fps but it will be mainly for RTS games and my steam collection.

Need to ask though, I have all the command and conquer games, what other series are worth my time?

Also I would love to play the elder scrolls games again, and fallout 3 and NV. Anyone know a good place to look at how to install mods etc on PC?

And last question, how do I stream games from Xbox one to my laptop?

1. Great mom

2. GTX 960M is literally a GTX 750 Ti, at lower memory clocks.

3. Now, with the Steam Summer Sale on, this is a GREAT time to pick of the Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War series.

4. Find the GAF threads on Skyrim and Fallout modding.

The Fallout 3/NV mod thread and the Fallout 4 mod thread were in my subscriptions.

illusionary

If you're a fan of classic RTS, you might take a look at Age of Empires II HD, or take the theme further with any/all of the other games in the Microsoft RTS Collection.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/221380/
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/91439/

As K.Jack says, with the Steam sale on for the next month, now's a great time to pick them up.

Oh yes, and following K Jack's suggestion, check your PMs for a Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War II key. :)

Hot damn, a summer release by the looks of it!

Very excited now although that $2900 USD price tag is steep on that Swedish site. US prices should be notably less I imagine

K.Jack

Hot damn, a summer release by the looks of it!

Very excited now although that $2900 USD price tag is steep on that Swedish site. US prices should be notably less I imagine

Guy from there told me it's translates to about $2,099, not sure how the site came to $2,900 that's nuts.

Guy from there told me it's translates to about $2,099, not sure how the site came to $2,900 that's nuts.

Yeah I googled the exchange rate after that post as it seemed absurdly high even for Europe/Sweden and it came out to $2,465 USD. Still seems high but some of that might be to the whole UK Brexit/EU Referendum messing with world currencies.

Still exciting times.

I think I may focus on getting something lighter with a 1070m some point this year as that's still a lot of power.

ViciousDS

Banned
I was looking at a few this morning since I sold my desktop and mostly am on the move. I'm guessing it's better to wait due to how much better the 1000 series is vs the 900. I'm guessing were going to see a decent jump correct? Was looking at a bunch and right now to many have low VRAM unless you want to spend more than $1500.

Not going to lie though Razer seems to at least be aware that docking GPUs are the future of mobility for laptops. They can keep upfront costs low.....well Razer won't lol (looks at the stealth that's a grand for an onboard GPU) but other companies could also pack more power for less as well. I think we could see $1000 setups including a dock with GPU giving a hell of a deal. Use the mobility when doing standard work/minor editing and plugin when you need that real power.

I sadly was looking at the new Razer but I just can't justify 2 grand on a laptop.....especially by a company that overcharges for their products.

Currently running a modified GT70 from xotic with a GTX675m and I love the design of MSI on these things. Xotic is usually my go to for laptop buying......have yet to have a failure from them. Those origin laptops look sick.....but holy shit at the price.

I don't use the laptop monitor btw....I have an amazing 27inch IPS panel that I use....so obviously if I can get power for a smaller screen I don't care as it would just save money.

masterkajo

Hi all.

I am mostly playing on PC which will have to be upgraded soon (still rocking a gtx680). But I got a nice offer from work today where I will get 100€ for a Laptop if I buy in the next two weeks (still budget left it seems). I am a teacher and could use a laptop for work mainly for office (word and power point etc) as well as occasional videos via HDMI in class. So since I want to upgrade my PC soon I am hardly looking for a gaming laptop. But I wouldn't say no if it could run at least some small games on very low (we have a end of the year portal speed run thing going... Also fell in love with overwatch recently).

Any good deals for a cheap capable (no need for full HD and games only on very very low) small and light (13"-14"screen) laptop at max 400 to 500€?

I was looking on amazon and I mostly find really crappy CPU ones (Intel Carleton n2840 etc - hardly any game playable) but small and light weighing for about 200€ or big and heavy ones with i3 and Intel HD 4000 graphics (which should work on very low) for about 400 to 500€.

So I guess I am looking for a small and light weighing ones with at least an i3 with Intel graphics HD 4000 for max 500€.

Thanks for Tipps and help.

Country - Ireland (or UK, I don't mind shipping it)

Maximum budget - €800-1000

Max size - 14-15 inches

Planned usage - light gaming, daily productivity

Other info - 1080p screen, intel CPU i5 or better, must have a backlit keyboard, must have a proper ethernet port.

Help me GAF!! I've been back and forth on the idea of a dedicated GPU or intel graphics and have decided that longer battery life has to come first, so its a no to amd and nvidia.

I just want a good laptop, with a good cpu that can handle the lower end of steam gaming. And it needs a backlit keyboard, mostly because I just really want one and so far its been really hard to find a laptop that fits the bill.

So any help would be hugely appreciated. ;)

Anion

Damn I just want to sell my almost 2 year old MSI with the 970M...lol

I neeeeeeeed that 1070 LOL

Also, for people wondering about MSI - build quality is great and the GS60 is a dream. So light and so powerful. My 970M gpu temps hasn't gone over 84*C ever. And apparently the newer generations have improved cooling systems.

Just the trackpad is kinda dumb. I feel like its software though, so I downloaded a different driver from the notebook forum and it is much much better. Still could use some work though

Articalys

If I was to order the Sager laptop, is there any particular reason to use that Xotic PC site instead of directly from Sager's own site?
And I still can't decide between Windows 7 and 10... I don't particularly care about the Windows Store for PC gaming, and I'm still not sure how much privacy stuff is unchangeable.

RoKKeR

Popping in for a quick question. I've been doing a bit of researching over the past day and have become very interested in the Razer Blade setup, especially with the versatility that the Razer Core offers alongside it. I love the look of the Blade because it reminds my of my current MacBook Pro: slim, seemingly well designed, and a premium/discreet look. (minus the gaudy logo... would definitely get a wrap) Is there another laptop on the market comparable to the Blade right now? I've done a bit of looking and can't seem to find anything.

Regardless, it looks/sounds like now is the time to *wait* on anything related to gaming laptops as Pascal is seemingly right around the corner. Could I expect next year's Razer Blade refresh to include a Pascal GPU but maintain it's form factor? The PC Gamer article about there being no 1070/1080M (and instead having the full desktop GPU) had me wondering about this.

Why the love for Alienware? Imo they make the worst looking, heaviest and thickest gaming laptops.

Their pricing isn't too bad, plus they are moving into pure OLED screens in the future.

Also they are thick but that is due to large batteries inside, most Alienware laptops now have 10 hours plus WiFi battery life only Apple has had that claim before with its laptops

K.Jack

If I was to order the Sager laptop, is there any particular reason to use that Xotic PC site instead of directly from Sager's own site?
And I still can't decide between Windows 7 and 10... I don't particularly care about the Windows Store for PC gaming, and I'm still not sure how much privacy stuff is unchangeable.

Sager's site used to be a mess, but they improved it a hundred fold.

The one thing the reseller sites have is the 3% discount if you pay cash.

This one has my attention for a while now. What do you guys think?

http://www.laptopshop.nl/product/703500/msi-gt72s-6qf-084nl.html#product_specifications

GREAT machine but hold out for the new GPU release. The 1080M will be faster and cheaper.

Could I expect next year's Razer Blade refresh to include a Pascal GPU but maintain it's form factor?
Yes.

Their pricing isn't too bad, plus they are moving into pure OLED screens in the future.

Man I hope OLED becomes a trend.I can see MSI and Asus jumping on board.

Need a new laptop by about August 10th (a week before move-in, absolute latest) or so for school.

Are new models definitely looking to be out by then? Cause it'd feel really crappy to buy one with a 970m or worse and have it be blown out of the water by huge performance gains had I been able to wait a little longer.

Budget would be roughly $1500 give or take $100-$200. (US)

Articalys

So, uh, while I was still waffling between the Dell and Sager, it looks like Sager quietly both updated the model and dropped the price for a summer sale:

http://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP7256.html

Looks like the main things they changed were upgrading the RAM quality (8GB DDR3L at 1600MHz to 8GB DDR4 at 2133MHz; what difference does that make?) and swapped out one of the normal USB ports for a type-C port.

Also, what's the practical difference between a 7200RPM HDD and a 5400RPM HDD w/8GB SSD cache?

Still wish the video card in this was 4GB instead of 2GB, but if it really doesn't matter unless I want to run things on ultra settings...

Okay, so...assuming I couldn't wait for new models with the 1070/1080Ms...

Right now I'm looking at this MSI GS60 Ghost Pro.

For $1500 on Amazon it seems pretty hard to beat. Need a 15" laptop that's fairly lightweight as I'll be taking it to classes and the like (this one is 4.2 lbs I believe).

Probably won't be buying until the start of August, so I've got some time. Any thoughts on this model? Or is there something similar/better out there?

Benedict

My current laptop from 2010 is a Acer Aspire TimelineX 3820TG with an i5-450M processor and ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 GPU.
it's now overheating and shutting itself of. Temperatures reach over 80C with a cooling fan pad under the computer.

I'm thinking of replacing it with this computer: Lenovo Y700 80NV00JXMX
It's currently on sale this weekend.
I might use that to replace also my stationary computer which was bought in 2009 and have a Core2duo processor and a 460GTX GPU.

How well will that computer work with todays games such as Civ 6 and Xcom 2 and Elite Dangerous? as well as similar games released this year?

US link from Lenovo about the Y700 series.
Is it better to get a stationary and a lighter laptop as a compliment instead?
Will also use the laptop for GIS, photo editing and my wifes studies.

The Y700 has:
Intel Core i5-6300HQ CPU
Nvidia GTX 960M, 2 GB (might be 4gb. the store page mentions both 2 gb and 4 gb at the same page.
15.6" Full HD IPS
256GB SSD

Top Bottom