• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Hey guys! I am interested in getting a laptop, since I am becoming a student of engineering, dealing with programs like AutoCad and solidworks on the move.

My country however, is Uruguay, while I study in Argentina, it is too expensive.

mercadolibre.com.uy (can give you a good impression of the problem I am dealing with)

I do light gaming, play strategy games and the usual dark souls run, I am however, kinda disconnected from gaming as of late, kinda sad since it is something I love... but well, such is life.

Size isnt important but portability and battery life is VITAL.

Can you find anything affordable, with an i5-7300HQ and GTX 1050?

Or, if your gaming is really that light, the lowest GPU you want to seek is the 940MX GDDR5.

Lusankya

What do you think of the MSI i posted above?

The specs are insane, versus the XPS.

The specs are really good, it just looks too much like a gaming laptop. ;)

Also I'd prefer a laptop with only an SSD and then I need a capacity of at least 512GB. So I will probably just buy the XPS and use a docking station for the ethernet port.

llien

Is there a consensus on HP OMEN? Given similar specs, would you go for refurbished Alienware or new HP OMEN?

I ended up buying an Acer Aspire V Nitro a couple of weeks ago (15", i5-7300HQ and GTX1060). Had a small LAN party with friends and it handled anything I threw at it well enough, as I'd expect with that setup.

The laptop feels nice, though the trackpad is a bit of a disappointment in that the customization options aren't great - my 5-year-old Vaio was better in that regard. The IPS display is great and looks massive after using a 13-incher for so long. It's not super sturdy but doesn't feel like I need to worry about it breaking either.

I think I'll need to adjust some of the fan settings, when idling/in very low use it does a weird cycle of having the fan off for a while and then turning it on for half a second and slowly winding down from that. I prefer the more consistent noise when the laptop is under a bit of load.

Overall I think it's reasonable and about what I'd expect for the price I paid for it (1400€ but I get 200€ back from a campaign). Not the best laptop in the world but I'll manage.

Izuna

Banned
Is there a consensus on HP OMEN? Given similar specs, would you go for refurbished Alienware or new HP OMEN?

I would go for the Alienware if the prices were equal.

15" and much better I/O is worth it over Gsync imho (and later AWs have Gsync)

The HP Omen is good enough if you want something that can let you lug those sorts of specs around.

I'm taking mine in a case today along with the cooling stand and even this big laptop case is at its limit...

Plus, the keyboard on the Omen is either red outline or red lit... :(

Disxo

Just skimmed through the prices
... Welp, I guess I'm getting a simple chromebook and building a PC for home, It seems like the right idea given these prices.

So, after a few days of digging, it doesnt seem like DELL likes europe a lot, because I find it really hard to find any of the Inspiron or XPS laptops without its price being super jacked up.

Heres some alternatives, let me know what you guys think :

https://www.coolmatica.pt/loja/port...ps-win10-gl553vd-77b05pb1--4712900652321.html

http://www.fnac.pt/Portatil-Lenovo-...-Computador-Portatil-Portatil-Gaming/a1041653

What else do you guys recommend, my worries is, Im a color grader, so screen acuracy is important to me, so idk what laptop to get..

Edit: Also, found the Dell on amazon, ends up being 1240€, wich is quite above my budget, but has i7-7700HQ and 1050Ti + SSD and storage, which are all great, however, it will have the UK keyboard layout, and I live in Portugal, this is quite a big issue :/ What to do?

fr0st

Banned
first post in the thread

are there any good ones that can last a while (like 2 years specs wise)

and its around $700

or should I wait for sales

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Teach me how to undervolt.

Also, have you overclocked your CPU yet? I have mine running at 4.1Ghz.
NotebookCheck posted a really nice ThrottleStop guide recently.
If you'd rather go the easy route, there is intel's XTU. Steps for that are:
  1. Go into Advanced Tuning
  2. With Adaptive selected, move the Clock Voltage Offset slider to the left until it says -50mV.
  3. Run Prime95 and whatever else you believe to be a good benchmarking/stress program and let it run for a couple of hours. If no crashes or BSODs or anything, you know it's stable.
  4. Move the slider another -15mV to the left.
  5. Repeat 3 and 4 until you are comfortable with the best stable result.
I got to -100mV in my 7700HQ, could likely go lower but haven't got the time to test further. Temps dropped massively, hasn't gone above 70"C while gaming.
An overclocked 7820HK takes more power, so I guess -100mV or so is probably the best you can get without it complaining.

Hey guys! I am interested in getting a laptop, since I am becoming a student of engineering, dealing with programs like AutoCad and solidworks on the move.

My country however, is Uruguay, while I study in Argentina, it is too expensive.

mercadolibre.com.uy (can give you a good impression of the problem I am dealing with)

I do light gaming, play strategy games and the usual dark souls run, I am however, kinda disconnected from gaming as of late, kinda sad since it is something I love... but well, such is life.

Size isnt important but portability and battery life is VITAL.
I feel for you, you have to find someone who's travelling to the US otherwise you are pretty much screwed :(
Do you have a budget?

K.Jack

So, after a few days of digging, it doesnt seem like DELL likes europe a lot, because I find it really hard to find any of the Inspiron or XPS laptops without its price being super jacked up.

Heres some alternatives, let me know what you guys think :

https://www.coolmatica.pt/loja/port...ps-win10-gl553vd-77b05pb1--4712900652321.html

http://www.fnac.pt/Portatil-Lenovo-...-Computador-Portatil-Portatil-Gaming/a1041653

What else do you guys recommend, my worries is, Im a color grader, so screen acuracy is important to me, so idk what laptop to get..

Edit: Also, found the Dell on amazon, ends up being 1240€, wich is quite above my budget, but has i7-7700HQ and 1050Ti + SSD and storage, which are all great, however, it will have the UK keyboard layout, and I live in Portugal, this is quite a big issue :/ What to do?

This review covers the Lenovo display, in depth.

This review covers the ASUS laptop's display.

first post in the thread

are there any good ones that can last a while (like 2 years specs wise)

and its around $700

or should I wait for sales

This HP fits the budget.

You definitely don't want any GPU weaker than the 1050.

NotebookCheck posted a really nice ThrottleStop guide recently.
If you'd rather go the easy route, there is intel's XTU. Steps for that are:
  1. Go into Advanced Tuning
  2. With Adaptive selected, move the Clock Voltage Offset slider to the left until it says -50mV.
  3. Run Prime95 and whatever else you believe to be a good benchmarking/stress program and let it run for a couple of hours. If no crashes or BSODs or anything, you know it's stable.
  4. Move the slider another -15mV to the left.
  5. Repeat 3 and 4 until you are comfortable with the best stable result.
I got to -100mV in my 7700HQ, could likely go lower but haven't got the time to test further. Temps dropped massively, hasn't gone above 70"C while gaming.
An overclocked 7820HK takes more power, so I guess -100mV or so is probably the best you can get without it complaining.

Thanks for the tips

I started experimenting with Intel XTU. I tried -100mV off the bat, and it causes my computer to hard lock. Fy1, I have a 6820HK clocked to 4.0Ghz. Tried -90mV, same thing.

So I decided to start from the bottom, currently sitting at -50mV. Going to test that for a few days, then advance to -60mV if that checks out.

ty_hot

Went to try some laptops at fnac today and I have to say that HP jumped from my least wanted computer maker to possibly the most. Tried the Spectre 360, that computer is great, the keyboard feels so good! I definetely crossed those ultra slim laptops from my wishlist as their keyboards are very unpleasant to use. I didn't like Apple's keyboards either (wouldnt get a mac anyway, just wanted to try the typing experience). Wish there was a XPS 13 there to try =/.

After walking all day with my old lenovo i3 3rd gen in the bag (2kg? Probably more, plus the charger) I started to value more the weight of the laptops. I wont play much on my laptop (i have a ps4 with enough backlog for the next 2 years lol) so I dont really need an i7 with 4 cores, 2 are enough (and make it lighter as a bonus, less fans), probably enough for a light indie game now and then.

Is there any other computer/brand that has great keyboards? I dont want any plastic keyboard (or at least one that doesnt feel like it). I care more about typing than playing.

Edit. Is there any preview of the new surface laptop? I checked many hands on but couldnt learn much about the keyboard.

Izuna

Banned
18422938_10155029176562819_1063080508748054503_o.jpg

On a 6 hour coach ride and I got an AC...

Special thanks to:

Bluetooth Xbone controller
Amazon Basics Cooling Stand

I cant believe how powerful this baby is :|

K.Jack

Went to try some laptops at fnac today and I have to say that HP jumped from my least wanted computer maker to possibly the most. Tried the Spectre 360, that computer is great, the keyboard feels so good! I definetely crossed those ultra slim laptops from my wishlist as their keyboards are very unpleasant to use. I didn't like Apple's keyboards either (wouldnt get a mac anyway, just wanted to try the typing experience). Wish there was a XPS 13 there to try =/.

After walking all day with my old lenovo i3 3rd gen in the bag (2kg? Probably more, plus the charger) I started to value more the weight of the laptops. I wont play much on my laptop (i have a ps4 with enough backlog for the next 2 years lol) so I dont really need an i7 with 4 cores, 2 are enough (and make it lighter as a bonus, less fans), probably enough for a light indie game now and then.

Is there any other computer/brand that has great keyboards? I dont want any plastic keyboard (or at least one that doesnt feel like it). I care more about typing than playing.

Edit. Is there any preview of the new surface laptop? I checked many hands on but couldnt learn much about the keyboard.

I've always thought that the HP Spectre is a great laptop.

The new Surface Book doesn't have any info out there, yet.
Feel sad that you can't afford the $9000 Acer Predator 21X?

Maybe, the Asus GX 800 is more up your alley. Just a cool $6000.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWg0ZoJcD0A

Jeez, why that over a Sager NP9876.

What does the hq mean in that HP laptop for the cpu?

HQ = Full voltage mobile CPU
HK = Unlocked mobile CPU
U/ULV = Ultra-Low Voltage CPU
Y = Trash mobile CPU

The Razer Blade 14 (late 2016 aka NOT Kaby Lake, all HD sizes) can be had for a considerable discount via Amazon Warehouse Deals.

Ex. 512GB for $1550.23 - 20% (~$1240) Like New

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZTCMPA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Damn good deal.

Hi laptop gaf! I'm looking to pick up my first gaming laptop. I am unfortunately very dumb when it comes to understanding the performance difference of components when it comes to PC vs Laptop.

My budget is $2,000, and while I know that would get a beast of a PC, I'm just not sure how that translates to Laptop power.

I'm looking for something that will be great for playing games for years to come, and is also good for Adobe creative cloud and daily usage.

Please help this poor layman make an informed purchasing decision!

Izuna

Banned
UK peeps, this https://www.gumtree.com/p/laptops/f...2xssd-32gb-ddr4-2400mhz-i7-7820hk-/1239130531 for £1200 looks really good.

Hi laptop gaf! I'm looking to pick up my first gaming laptop. I am unfortunately very dumb when it comes to understanding the performance difference of components when it comes to PC vs Laptop.

My budget is $2,000, and while I know that would get a beast of a PC, I'm just not sure how that translates to Laptop power.

I'm looking for something that will be great for playing games for years to come, and is also good for Adobe creative cloud and daily usage.

Look into laptops with a GTX1070 in it.

K.Jack

I'd look at this for 17.3"

I'd look at this for 15.6"

Let me know if I can answer any specific questions.

Damn that's insane. Even seeking a quick sale, the dude is cheating himself.

Ive definitely have been looking at the Sager ones from the referral at the top of the page and bumped my budget to $2500. I was directed to XoticPC, where I came up with this:

http://www.xoticpc.com/checkout/cart/configure/id/7269069/

7th Generation Intel® Kaby Lake™ i7-7700K (4.2GHz - 4.5GHz, 8MB Intel® Smart Cache)

Graphics Video Card 1 x NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070

Thermal Cooling 1 x IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU

Display 1 x 17.3" FHD 16:9 IPS LED-Backlit Display with Matte Finish w/ G-SYNC Technology (1920x1080)

Operating System 1 x Windows® 10 Home 64-Bit Edition Preinstalled

Sager 2 Year Parts & LIFETIME Ltd Labor Warranty w/ Lifetime DOMESTIC Customer Support

Windows® 10 64-Bit Edition USB Recovery Media $25.00 Display Options 1 x 1 Year "No Dead/Partially Lit Pixel" Guarantee (XPC Service) $89.00 Processor 1 x

16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2400MHz

250GB Western Digital Blue M.2 SSD - Default $0.00 Raid 1 x HDD Raid Settings - OFF $0.00 2.5" Bay 1 1 x

1TB 7200RPM [SATA II - 3GB/s] - Default - Bay 1 $0.00

Wireless Networking / Bluetooth 1 x Intel® Dual Band AC 8265 802.11 A/AC/B/G/N 2.4/5.0GHz + Bluetooth™ 4.0

Total: $2,511 after tax

Anything you think may be unneeded, or that I should add?

Izuna

Banned
I mean, for $2500 you can get a 1080 17.3" ;/

Is that laptop a custom one? (your link won't work) I don't think a full desktop CPU is a great idea if you ever want this to be portable.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834154325

I would say, if you want to spend more than $2000 or around $2500, then the above is a great deal (CPU is great). Otherwise go lower and get a 1070 laptop that doesn't cost and arm and a leg merely because of PCIe NVMe drives that you can't utilise.

Truthfully, I'm less concerned about portability than overall performance and longevity. My office is being turned into a bedroom, so I am looking for something that can essentially replace my desktop PC.

As far as the 1080, that bumps the price up into a less comfortable range, lol.

Izuna

Banned
Truthfully, I'm less concerned about portability than overall performance and longevity. My office is being turned into a bedroom, so I am looking for something that can essentially replace my desktop PC.

As far as the 1080, that bumps the price up into a less comfortable range, lol.

Not really, like the post I made above (I edited), GTX1080 laptops start at around $2300.

The reason why that laptop you built on that site is expensive is because you're buying something that is built to order and has a full desktop CPU which you probably can't cool properly.

I am definitely ignorant of some of these things, so excuse me if this is a dumb question:

The laptop you linked does look great, but how well does that CPU hold up? it seems much slower than that 7700, or does that not make too much of a difference here?

K.Jack

I actually have a GT73VR, so I'd like to chime in here.

It's an amazing, top tier machine, best keyboard, speakers, cooling, I/O, features in the game.

The i7-6820HK easily does a 4Ghz overclock while undervolted, and can get up to 4.3Ghz if you play with the voltage.

There's like, zero reason to not buy that over the Sager, when you're getting a GTX 1080 over a GTX 1070. I had no idea that the Skylake model was on that kind of a discount. Mine with the 1070 was going for $2,199 at launch, though I got mine for $900.

There are 3x M.2 SSD slots, 2 of them being NVMe, and one 2.5" bay. You could spend the $200 that's left over on another 500GB-ish SSD if you want.

Oh and the 120Hz G-Sync panel is the highlight of the whole machine.

I actually have a GT73VR, so I'd like to chime in here.

It's an amazing, top tier machine, best keyboard, speakers, cooling, I/O, features in the game.

The i7-6820HK easily does a 4Ghz overclock while undervolted, and can get up to 4.3Ghz if you play with the voltage.

There's like, zero reason to not buy that over the Sager, when you're getting a GTX 1080 over a GTX 1070. I had no idea that the Skylake model was on that kind of a discount. Mine with the 1070 was going for $2,199 at launch, though I got mine for $900.

There are 3x M.2 SSD slots, 2 of them being NVMe, and one 2.5" bay. You could spend the $200 that's left over on another 500GB-ish SSD if you want.

Oh and the 120Hz G-Sync panel is the highlight of the whole machine.

Well they have 4 left in stock, this seems to hit what Im looking for, though I dont know what undervolting is,lol.

Is this something I should pull the trigger on before it gets sold out?

What do you mean, exactly?
In terms of overclocking and what that would permit me to do gaming wise without melting my laptop. Could i push it past 3.8ghz, could i get it to 7TFlops rather than 6.5, etc.
I know very little about all this, but im wondering if i can squeeze a bit more out of it to get 4k gaming to run a bit better.

Yes you should buy that now.

I mean, for $2500 you can get a 1080 17.3" ;/

Is that laptop a custom one? (your link won't work) I don't think a full desktop CPU is a great idea if you ever want this to be portable.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16834154325

I would say, if you want to spend more than $2000 or around $2500, then the above is a great deal (CPU is great). Otherwise go lower and get a 1070 laptop that doesn't cost and arm and a leg merely because of PCIe NVMe drives that you can't utilise.

Whew, ordered! Thanks for the help, and link Izuna!

Izuna

Banned
In terms of overclocking and what that would permit me to do gaming wise without melting my laptop. Could i push it past 3.8ghz, could i get it to 7TFlops rather than 6.5, etc.
I know very little about all this, but im wondering if i can squeeze a bit more out of it to get 4k gaming to run a bit better.

Can you link to which HP Omen?

If it is HQ, you can't overclock (you can with the HK).

1070 is really for 1440p, especially for recent games, but Imo it's enough for that. Mine has a 6700HQ and it got about 9k Physics score in Firestrike test in 3DMark (2.5Ghz), which is above average.

Can you link to which HP Omen?

If it is HQ, you can't overclock (you can with the HK).

1070 is really for 1440p, especially for recent games, but Imo it's enough for that. Mine has a 6700HQ and it got about 9k Physics score in Firestrike test in 3DMark (2.5Ghz), which is above average.

Its an HQ so i guess there would be no OCing, but it does say turbo boost to 3.8Ghz
http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-omen---17-w273nr
I don't know how different the performance would be between a desktop 1070 and a 6700k Vs a Laptop 1070 and a 7700HQ. But I've seen some with the former specs able to run games at 4k30fps from Digital foundry, which I think is pretty good. Even saw someone hit 4k60 with RE7 so I figured it would be worth a try considering I'm getting a 4k screen with it anyway.

Izuna

Banned
Its an HQ so i guess there would be no OCing, but it does say turbo boost to 3.8Ghz
http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-omen---17-w273nr
I don't know how different the performance would be between a desktop 1070 and a 6700k Vs a Laptop 1070 and a 7700HQ. But I've seen some with the former specs able to run games at 4k30fps from Digital foundry, which I think is pretty good. Even saw someone hit 4k60 with RE7 so I figured it would be worth a try considering I'm getting a 4k screen with it anyway.

Well, from what I know, 6700HQ and 7700HQ have a negligible difference, so you're looking at performance only a bit better than an i5 5600k.

I can do Forza Horizon 3 at 4k60 with minimal drops on this device, FWIW. Although I prefer locked fps so instead I go with 1440p.

Why HP Omen, might I ask? Is it because there's a deal on? I personally dislike the IO options.

If you're looking at buying it for $1800 there are better deals out there.

--

Well, from what I know, 6700HQ and 7700HQ have a negligible difference, so you're looking at performance only a bit better than an i5 5600k.

I can do Forza Horizon 3 at 4k60 with minimal drops on this device, FWIW. Although I prefer locked fps so instead I go with 1440p.

Why HP Omen, might I ask? Is it because there's a deal on? I personally dislike the IO options.

If you're looking at buying it for $1800 there's better deals out there.
Well, I wanted an MSI but they wont make me the laptop i want with the specs i want and a 4k screen at 17.3inches at a reasonable price. so as far as i know the Omen is the only thing i have available that's the same specs i want, though im not a fan of the build, Lighting or I/O either.

But its got a 4k screen, a 1070 and is 17.3 inches so it works. Though in my currency im paying $2300 for it, so its still pretty expensive.

Izuna

Banned
Well, I wanted an MSI but they wont make me the laptop i want with the specs i want and a 4k screen at 17.3inches at a reasonable price. so as far as i know the Omen is the only thing i have available that's the same specs i want, though im not a fan of the build, Lighting or I/O either.

But its got a 4k screen, a 1070 and is 17.3 inches so it works. Though in my currency im paying $2300 for it, so its still pretty expensive.

Is a 4k screen a must? If you want to swap it for a 120Hz 1080p Gsync you got:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAAPK5AZ8222

RadicalR

Neo Member
I'm a somewhat new user in the US looking for a laptop (15 or 17 inches), $1,000 (can go over a bit). I'm happy with 1920 x 1080 performance (not a big 4k fan). I would use it for pretty heavy gaming. Any good deals out there?

Izuna

Banned
Yeah, im interested in doing photography work so my options are either, get a laptop with a 4k screen or get an external 4k screen. Theres a similar MSI model is actually what i wanted and they do make them with 4k screens. MSI NA just wont give me one.

Imo, if you're gunna go photography, you want to make sure the screen itself can be calibrated. I think there's a BenQ 4k monitor at like sub $200 -- in that case you can pick up a cheaper 1070 laptop and hook it up to that.

I'm a somewhat new user in the US looking for a laptop (15 or 17 inches), $1,000 (can go over a bit). I'm happy with 1920 x 1080 performance (not a big 4k fan). I would use it for pretty heavy gaming. Any good deals out there?

Go on newegg.com and look for the cheapest 1060 laptop you can find :)

tho you're probably better off looking for a refurb on eBay else you end up with a 3GB 1060

Imo, if you're gunna go photography, you want to make sure the screen itself can be calibrated. I think there's a BenQ 4k monitor at like sub $200 -- in that case you can pick up a cheaper 1070 laptop and hook it up to that.
Thats a good point as well, i guess ill look into it! Though i hear the 4k screens on Omen's are pretty good and the guys over at Tested use them for their editing work so i doubt itll be too bad either way.

RadicalR

Neo Member

Go on newegg.com and look for the cheapest 1060 laptop you can find :)

tho you're probably better off looking for a refurb on eBay else you end up with a 3GB 1060

Any different in the chip? I keep hearing there is a hell of a boost in this generation as opposed to the last generation.

Top Bottom