• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

Izuna

Banned
I dont know if this was a very good deal or a price error from Amazon, but i bought this thing yesterday from Amazon for 1590€:

hLgoIoA.png

5 minutes after the purchase the price went to 2237€:

iNmoHj3.png

The reviews seem very solid. 120Hz IPS with G-Sync sounds awesome. The only downside is that it seems to have problems with backlight bleeding.

Anyone of you guys got a G752VS and can tell me if they got problems with backlight-bleed?

And do you guys think this was a price-error from amazon or just a temporary price drop?

Check what the seller is also selling. It could be a scam.

I had the same issue a while back. They log into a seller account, put all these BS listings then disappear.

Tripon

I finally got the Acer Aspire VX 15 laptop through work. I ordered the i5 7300HQ GTX1050 version, but I got the i7 7700HQ GTX 1050Ti version instead somehow.
wtzgU.gif

Looking at the Acer website, it's a $150 difference.

It's only been a day, so take these impressions for what it's worth. The keyboard feels a bit mushy, but fine to type on, the red back lighting and red keys scream 'gamerish' to me. The screen is okay, but the bezels are way larger than I thought it would be based on stock photos. However, it's really cool on idle, and is surprisingly light for what it is.

So many good laptops out right now. Not sure if I should wait for the asus zenbook pro ux550 or go for the new zephyrus gx501 or MSI stealth pro 1070 refresh. I need something powerful than can handle 4k 60fps streaming, capture and editing.

dawgparty

Bleh, the Amazon Basics stand is too small for my laptop. It tilts back. Anything like this that would hold a larger laptop? I can't seem to find anything similar which sucks, build quality of the stand is great.

Really thinking of going with the MSI stealth pro 1070 refresh but the build issues I've been reading about have me worried.

Any MSI laptop owners in here?

When are we expecting new 1060/1070 laptops to be released?

I have £2000 set aside to spend on a laptop and was wondering if it's worth taking plunge on a laptop in the next month or so or holding off until the next set of thinner quieter gaming laptops are released.

Izuna

Banned
Bleh, the Amazon Basics stand is too small for my laptop. It tilts back. Anything like this that would hold a larger laptop? I can't seem to find anything similar which sucks, build quality of the stand is great.

Huh? I have an HP Omen 17 and it's perfect for it. What laptop do you have?

This is how it looks with mine: http://imgur.com/a/jm8Zo

The stand can go super high up allowing me to use the laptop as if it's a monitor.

Hyphen

Guys, the Nvidia website states that all GTX 10-SERIES laptop cards hold the following display supports - DP1.4, HDMI 2.0b, DL-DVI.

So would I be correct in assuming that with any laptop which hosts a GTX 1050-1080, the HDMI port on it would be that from the card, and so would host the above connections? I'm hoping to connect my laptop to an HDR capable monitor in the future (for videos, not gaming), but I gather I would need HDMI 2.0b for that!?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Really thinking of going with the MSI stealth pro 1070 refresh but the build issues I've been reading about have me worried.

Any MSI laptop owners in here?

I own one, but it's the GT73VR flagship. The build quality is incredible, but I can't vouch for the lower tier models.

p.s. - the 1070 Max-Q will run more like a GTX 1060, I'm in the camp who believes you shouldn't pay such a premium for a gimped card.

When are we expecting new 1060/1070 laptops to be released?

I have £2000 set aside to spend on a laptop and was wondering if it's worth taking plunge on a laptop in the next month or so or holding off until the next set of thinner quieter gaming laptops are released.

I don't expect many more to be released, once these Max-Q ones drop.

Guys, the Nvidia website states that all GTX 10-SERIES laptop cards hold the following display supports - DP1.4, HDMI 2.0b, DL-DVI.

So would I be correct in assuming that with any laptop which hosts a GTX 1050-1080, the HDMI port on it would be that from the card, and so would host the above connections? I'm hoping to connect my laptop to an HDR capable monitor in the future (for videos, not gaming), but I gather I would need HDMI 2.0b for that!?

If the laptop has Optimus (auto-switching), you have to find out which GPU the ports are wired through. If they are running through the iGPU, which is most common, you will not be able to do things like custom resolutions, use external G-Sync, etc. According to my Google searching, the Kaby Lake iGPU supports HDR, so you should be fine there, unless something has changed.

On your last question, I have no idea what is needed for HDR.

Tripon

I own one, but it's the GT73VR flagship. The build quality is incredible, but I can't vouch for the lower tier models.

p.s. - the 1070 Max-Q will run more like a GTX 1060, I'm in the camp who believes you shouldn't pay such a premium for a gimped card.

I don't expect many more to be released, once these Max-Q ones drop.

Eventually, there's going to be a class action lawsuit about how the 1060 qmax laptops can't do VR. Lol.

BibiMaghoo

So after much deliberation, I think I'm going with the Alienware 15 R3. It has everything I wanted spec wise with exception of the 17'' screen. No Num pad is also disappointing but not the end of the world.

Does anyone have any experience with one? Reviews seem mostly positive.

K.Jack

Eventually, there's going to be a class action lawsuit about how the 1060 qmax laptops can't do VR. Lol.

I'm eager to see how the 1060MQ performs. It'll be really shameful if it is anywhere near the 1050 Ti.

So after much deliberation, I think I'm going with the Alienware 15 R3. It has everything I wanted spec wise with exception of the 17'' screen. No Num pad is also disappointing but not the end of the world.

What spec did you choose?

I have also decided to go with Alienware but the 13 R3, got the one with the OLED screen, 16GB RAM and 256 SSD.

I have ordered myself the Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 SSD which with the 256 already in laptop should cover me space wise.

Brought it for gaming and some game development(Unity/UE4).

Laptop and new SSD has come to £1853 which is a lot but should last me s good 4 years no problems.

BibiMaghoo

What spec did you choose?

Video Card NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ (Quad-Core, 6MB Cache, up to 3.8GHz w/ Turbo Boost)
LCD 15.6 inch FHD (1920 x 1080) 120Hz TN+WVA Anti-Glare 400-nits NVIDIA G-SYNC Enabled
Memory 8GB DDR4 at 2400MHz (1x8GB)
Hard Drive 256GB PCIe SSD (Boot) + 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)
Wireless Killer 1435 802.11ac 2x2 WiFi and Bluetooth 4.1

Comes out at £1,673.10 with the 10% discount offer they currently have. £1,859.00 without. Their memory seems pretty expensive so that is the only place I saved really, and I can purchase that whenever. The price for the M.2 drive didn't seem worth it either.

USA
$1300-1400
15'' or smaller. (I commute with my laptop for college).
1080p Gaming, programming, Adobe suites, networking.

Hello, everyone. I come to the experts at GAF for some help with picking up a new laptop.
I currently have a Lenovo Y50 with a 860M that's having some problems and I want to have an idea of what I should be getting to replace it. I'm looking for a light device with decent battery life and some High/Max 1080p gaming capabilities for when I'm at home plugged in. (No gaming during commute).
Also, I would like for the device to have multiple display ports, such as mini/microDisplayPort and HDMI since I have a two-monitor setup at home.

I've heard really good things about the Alienware 13, but I didn't want to make a decision before consulting in this thread. Thank you for you help.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
When is the best time to buy a Gaming laptop? I really want to get one, but nothing on the market currently looks particularly appealing. I would be getting this as an entrypoint to PC gaming.

Mendrox

When is the best time to buy a Gaming laptop? I really want to get one, but nothing on the market currently looks particularly appealing. I would be getting this as an entrypoint to PC gaming.

Now is a perfect time with 1060 - 1080 being avaiable in notebooks.

I am using one for over two months now and the only issue I have had was the CPU heating up to near 100 degrees when I first got it. I have last years processor model though so don't know if you will have similar issues with the newer one. I managed to solve my issue with undervolting of the CPU and this reduced temps by 20 degrees.

The laptop is really great so far, if you have any questions let me know, battery life when not gaming has been good too for such a huge laptop. I think the 15" Alienware sits right on the edge of being portable, it just makes it for me but the after owning this I don't think i'd ever buy a 17" one.

BibiMaghoo

I am using one for over two months now and the only issue I have had was the CPU heating up to near 100 degrees when I first got it. I have last years processor model though so don't know if you will have similar issues with the newer one. I managed to solve my issue with undervolting of the CPU and this reduced temps by 20 degrees.

This is quite concerning to be honest. The main reason I need to replace my current machine is the thermal throttling. When under load instead of using the turbo boost, my CPU cuts to about 800mhz on all cores to stay below 90c. Tried everything to fix it, cleaned everything, new compound and reseat of cooling.

The laptop is really great so far, if you have any questions let me know, battery life when not gaming has been good too for such a huge laptop. I think the 15" Alienware sits right on the edge of being portable, it just makes it for me but the after owning this I don't think i'd ever buy a 17" one.

This is good though. I will rarely be using it without a power supply, but need the portability to take it to work and back, but in a car anyway. Bulky is ok so long as it's comfortable to use.

Couple of things.

Is the escape key not being the last on the top left really as annoying as it seems it may be?
Some grumblings about W10 problems have been read, have you had any?
Was there much junk pre-installed?
Did undervolting the CPU effect performance? It comes with 1 year on site support, so I'm guessing if this does happen they will just come out and fix it, perhaps in this manner if it doesn't cause problems.

KillLaCam

Banned

I have one with the gsync screen . It's really good. My only complaints are no Num pad and the fan can get pretty loud.

Tripon

I'm a Prime member, but even $1100 is really cheap for a 1060 laptop.
I have the Acer VX 15. If they are using the same IPS screen, it's not great, but it's serviceable. But all reviews I seen of the Helios seem that it's a good machine. It's just your typical gaming laptop on a really good sale right now.

blanco21

o75qMnF.png

is 1070 w/ 8gb worth it for $300 more? i'm pretty new to the PC gaming world. i'd like to run stuff like dolphin, dark souls. i'm not sure how these cards compare to console output

o75qMnF.png

is 1070 w/ 8gb worth it for $300 more? i'm pretty new to the PC gaming world. i'd like to run stuff like dolphin, dark souls. i'm not sure how these cards compare to console output

The GTX 1070 is about 35%40% faster than the GTX 1060. But the GTX 1060 is a very capable card(equivalent to GTX 980) that can run pretty much any game at 1080p and even 1440p if you lower some settings. The GTX 1070 is faster and will handle higher resolutions better than the GTX 1060, but you only care about Dark soul series all the card listed will crush them.

K.Jack

So what's the catch here? Seems way too cheap for a 1060 laptop.

Google this: "Acer Predator Helios 300 overheating"

There will be your answer.

o75qMnF.png

Look up some 1060 vs 1070 videos on YT, and decide whether the added longevity is worth the money.

It really depends on how long you plan to keep the laptop. The longer you do so, the more it makes sense to go with the 1070.

Here's one Digital Foundry put out.

Umar96

Neo Member
What are you going to do with that GPU horsepower on a 1080p screen? I guess you can use nvidia DSR if it would work properly.

Or just set up a custom resolution, which has worked even better in my experience and has a lesser performance cut.

Still, 120fps at resolutions higher than 1080p in modern games is quite something.

Yes this is overkill for 1080p 60 ultra at the moment but it's at a price of a single good GTX 1070 laptop. Would highly recommend it to anyone whose looking for a desktop replacement laptop.

So Im kind of new to gaming laptops, but mine is locking to 30fps when undocked? Im mostly using this for fighters when I game, so I need that 60fps. I find myself worried about using up my batteries overall life very fast too. How quickly and easy have you guys had to replace the battery in your laptops?

MilkBeard

So Im kind of new to gaming laptops, but mine is locking to 30fps when undocked? Im mostly using this for fighters when I game, so I need that 60fps. I find myself worried about using up my batteries overall life very fast too. How quickly and easy have you guys had to replace the battery in your laptops?

I've never ever had to replace a laptop battery, but I almost always keep it plugged in, so that might be why. My 6 year old laptop's battery I started to rely on more, and it shrank, but it can still hold battery for a while, and it's original.

If you are gaming, better to not be on battery, unless it's some old game or something.

I've never ever had to replace a laptop battery, but I almost always keep it plugged in, so that might be why. My 6 year old laptop's battery I started to rely on more, and it shrank, but it can still hold battery for a while, and it's original.

If you are gaming, better to not be on battery, unless it's some old game or something.

Great, makes me worry less. The one I got handles 1080p very nicely, and my Ableton Live seems to run great. Very satisified after using desktops exclusively for a decade.

K.Jack

All gaming laptops downclock on battery, because the battery can't handle the draw of a full GPU and CPU load.

You can go in Geforce Experience and change the FPS target while on battery. Change it to 60fps and see what happens.

Does this item look like a misprint in specs?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/...rd_Pro-034_156_Gaming_Laptop_Computer_-_Black

It says it comes packed with a GTX 1070... but I can't find a similar model anywhere else on the internet -- even the MSI website doesn't have the configuration option for a 1070.
There are no 1060 equipped GP62MVRX that costs $1699.

I think it's legit, might be one of the new 1070 Max-Q machines.

Top Bottom