• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016+ Gaming Laptop Thread: Embracing Pascal's Wafer (Please Read OP)

Terra

My laptop with a 560m has suddenly hit a brick wall. It's simply not up to the task of playing this "new-gen" of games that is arriving.

Looking towards the 980m and hoping that the price-tag is not to high. What can we expect? When will it be announced?

What's the best laptop I can get from best buy?

Budget: $800-$1000

Needs: Just want to play the newest games at the best possible quality. Don't care about screen size, battery life, etc

antonz

Needs: Just want to play the newest games at the best possible quality. Don't care about screen size, battery life, etc

Honestly Best Buy has a shitty selection if you are wanting moderate gaming capabilities. Looking at least $1100 just to get one with an 850M or 860M. everything else is like a 730M or 745M or Intel HD

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
[
USA
Civ, League, CS:GO
No fan noise, decent screen, num pad pls

This. You won't get what you want from a 13".

Well someone stole my laptop so now I need another.

When will we see the 900's available?

My laptop with a 560m has suddenly hit a brick wall. It's simply not up to the task of playing this "new-gen" of games that is arriving.

Looking towards the 980m and hoping that the price-tag is not to high. What can we expect? When will it be announced?

I'm hearing next week everywhere, but it's strange that Nvidia keeps delaying the announcement.

Buy a Lenovo Y50.

Is this a decent set up?

Lenovo 17

And I don't understand Lenovo's website. It supports Nvidia, but I can't figure out how to configure with it.

You can't configure GPUs on Lenovos.

I didnt know where to post this but it is gaming laptop related.

For the past five years I've had a Gateway FX series laptop (the 7805u) and it has served me incredibly well.

Its age is definitely showing, but thats okay. This isnt an upgrade inquiry as so much a maintenance inquiry. I can tell that the laptop is definitely running a lot hotter than it used to and I can only chalk that up to 5 years of dust buildup.

I'm semi terrified to completely disassemble it and dust it out myself out of worry I might permanently damage it (not in a financial position to buy a replacement laptop/desktop)

Does anyone know of a place that would clean out laptops?

Would Fry's do it? (I'm in the LA area)

shockdude

I didnt know where to post this but it is gaming laptop related.

For the past five years I've had a Gateway FX series laptop (the 7805u) and it has served me incredibly well.

Its age is definitely showing, but thats okay. This isnt an upgrade inquiry as so much a maintenance inquiry. I can tell that the laptop is definitely running a lot hotter than it used to and I can only chalk that up to 5 years of dust buildup.

I'm semi terrified to completely disassemble it and dust it out myself out of worry I might permanently damage it (not in a financial position to buy a replacement laptop/desktop)

Does anyone know of a place that would clean out laptops?

Would Fry's do it? (I'm in the LA area)

Do you have the P-7805u? I found a disassembly guide for it here.
Imo you only need to do step 4A (remove the back cover with a screwdriver). From there you have access to the fan and heat sinks; use some compressed air and you're done.

mkenyon

Banned
Best thinish/light gaming laptop under $2k, with an eye more towards battery life than resolution and power?

Basically, transportable 13-15" power laptop geared towards productivity that can push frames above 60FPS (turning down settings is fine) in most games. Power hungry outliers aren't a part of that equation (Witcher/Crysis/Metro/etc).

K.Jack

*I* can't? - Who can?
Because there are some, like the model I posted that have Geforce.
And the site even says they support them.

A laptop having an Nvidia GPU has nothing to do with whether it can upgrade to better GPUs.

It comes with a GT 840M and that's all you get.

Dawg

I'll post my question here again:

I'm looking for a laptop under €1000. I'd like something real powerful and which will last me quite a while. Battery doesn't have to be insane, as I use the power cable most of the time anyway.

I don't need to play Crysis 3 @1080p/60fps on it, but I would like something that can run Photoshop just fine. Smooth playback of movies and tv shows too. I would like it to run most flash games as well. When I'm on my laptop, I usually visit sites such as kongregate.com etc. Games there can be CPU intensive though. If the laptop can run World of Warcraft at good settings as well, that would be great.

I currently have a laptop with the following specs: Intel B960 processor, Intel HD graphics, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD and a 17,3" screen. The thing is slow as fuck. Like... really slow. Photoshop barely runs on it and I feel like the HDD is dying. I feel like the CPU and GPU are really weak as well, but I'm no laptop expert. Anything would be better than this, but best case scenario I'd love something a lot more powerful for my money. Screen can be 15", don't need 17,3" again.

I'll post my question here again:

I'm looking for a laptop under €1000. I'd like something real powerful and which will last me quite a while. Battery doesn't have to be insane, as I use the power cable most of the time anyway.

I don't need to play Crysis 3 @1080p/60fps on it, but I would like something that can run Photoshop just fine. Smooth playback of movies and tv shows too. I would like it to run most flash games as well. When I'm on my laptop, I usually visit sites such as kongregate.com etc. Games there can be CPU intensive though. If the laptop can run World of Warcraft at good settings as well, that would be great.

I currently have a laptop with the following specs: Intel B960 processor, Intel HD graphics, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD and a 17,3" screen. The thing is slow as fuck. Like... really slow. Photoshop barely runs on it and I feel like the HDD is dying. I feel like the CPU and GPU are really weak as well, but I'm no laptop expert. Anything would be better than this, but best case scenario I'd love something a lot more powerful for my money. Screen can be 15", don't need 17,3" again.

What country are you purchasing your laptop in?

Are you using Photoshop as a hobbyist or professionally? What recent games or upcoming games would you like to play and what settings would you like to play them on?

Define "quite a while."

Edit: What does the Lenovo Y50 series cost in your country?

Anion

So, I had to return my MSI GS60 that I had for a month. I had numerous BSOD issues and did pretty much everything (no joke...like bios to even clear windows reinstallation). The laptop was a boss besides the random BSOD issues. I'm now just waiting for the 970M version now. My only gripe with the 870M version was that the GPU temps got up to 93˚C even with IC Diamond paste. I am hoping that the 970M has much lower temps...

I would be insanely happy even with 80˚C tbh...

Dawg

What country are you purchasing your laptop in?

Are you using Photoshop as a hobbyist or professionally? What recent games or upcoming games would you like to play and what settings would you like to play them on?

Define "quite a while."

Edit: What does the Lenovo Y50 series cost in your country?

Photostop as a hobbyist. Do some design work, edit stuff here and there, create NeoGAF OTs etc,..

I'd like to play the new World of Warcraft expansion, most flash games and some low-end stuff like DOTA2 maybe.

Quite a while? About 1,5-2 year would be nice.

The Lenovo Y50? This one? http://shop.lenovo.com/be/nl/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y50/ €999.

Photostop as a hobbyist. Do some design work, edit stuff here and there, create NeoGAF OTs etc,..

I'd like to play the new World of Warcraft expansion, most flash games and some low-end stuff like DOTA2 maybe.

Quite a while? About 1,5-2 year would be nice.

The Lenovo Y50? This one? http://shop.lenovo.com/be/nl/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y50/ €999.

Can you order from Amazon France?

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00LA4CDKA/

This is the "lowest" model Y50 on Lenovo's US website. There's roughly a $300 premium for Europe, but that's the Europe penalty.

It should last for two to three years. You could probably save 100-300€ by compromising specs, but this is a strong performer and a good value for the price. If you scrounged around or waited for a holiday, you might find a good deal.

How soon do you need it? The 900 series Nvidia GPUs should be hitting relatively soon.

Dawg

Can you order from Amazon France?

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00LA4CDKA/

This is the "lowest" model Y50 on Lenovo's US website. There's roughly a $300 premium for Europe, but that's the Europe penalty.

It should last for two to three years. You could probably save 100-300€ by compromising specs, but this is a strong performer and a good value for the price. If you scrounged around or waited for a holiday, you might find a good deal.

How soon do you need it? The 900 series Nvidia GPUs should be hitting relatively soon.

Something tells me this is a better deal: http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00KH6PAT8/

Seems like this is a stronger Lenovo for the price of the lowest model.

K.Jack

Dawg what country are you in again? I want to find you a Clevo reseller to compare versus the Y50.

Dawg

I'm from Belgium :) If needed, I can order from The Netherlands. It's where I usually order my desktop parts too.

K.Jack

Everything Clevo has that's of comparable power ends up over €1000. Like this. Or this. Scroll down to configure.

Thee screen on the Y50 is really bad though, and it's not the machine I'd recommend to a Photoshop user. The 13" I linked has a great 1080p IPS display.

Dawg

Everything Clevo has that's of comparable power ends up over €1000. Like this. Or this. Scroll down to configure.

Thee screen on the Y50 is really bad though, and it's not the machine I'd recommend to a Photoshop user. The 13" I linked has a great 1080p IPS display.

13" is a bit small for me, but the 15" looks really great... especially with the i7 processor and SSD. I noticed it didn't have an HDD though. 120GB storage will probably not be enough for me.

I don't need this laptop asap though, but I do want it in the next couple of months. Should I wait for the Nvidia 9xx models to appear?

[

This.

I'm hearing next week everywhere, but it's strange that Nvidia keeps delaying the announcement.

I decided to hold off until the 900's since I heard the performance disparity is so large, I figured it may be worth spending a bit more now and waiting a month, than being stuck with regret for years.

Anxiously waiting for the laptops with the new GPUs to go on sale.

Majeh

Hi guys, wanted your input.

My brother wants to buy a laptop for work

U.K.
£600-800
12-13.3"
Light gaming, mostly documentation, portability is important (light with good battery life) and something fairly stylish without breaking the bank.

Thanks.

Needed pretty urgently so somewhere he could expedite delivery or pick up locally in store.

Anion

Im reading alot of stuff on the Notebook Review forums and it sounds like tomorrow might be the day...

All I want is a GS60 with a 970M and a 1080p screen. Im hoping MSI doesnt release the 3K version first

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
is there other laptops similar in thickness (and specs) to the y50?

I wonder the same thing myself. Its pretty much the best budget gaming laptop out there but that screen is so shitty, a dealbreaker for me. So I'm just waiting a bit because every gaming laptop right now has one flaw or another or is outside of what I'm willing to spend. Hopefully new cards shakes some things up along with better sales closer to the holiday season.

I wonder the same thing myself. Its pretty much the best budget gaming laptop out there but that screen is so shitty, a dealbreaker for me. So I'm just waiting a bit because every gaming laptop right now has one flaw or another or is outside of what I'm willing to spend. Hopefully new cards shakes some things up along with better sales closer to the holiday season.

yup, i want to find one similar y50's specs (and dimensions) and not mind paying a bit more for a better screen

Any recommendation for a youngster's laptop? They want to play Minecraft and Terraria and other games like that. My only real requirement is that it have a good display - I really dislike laptops with poor screens.

Seems I need to provide more info:

USA
$500 - $700
15+ ? (not picky)
Minecraft, Terraria, etc.
Great screen, other features like minimal noise and heat are a bonus but not required

If you will mostly be gaming at home you can always hook it up to an external monitor?

shockdude

I hear the screen is easily replaceable and aren't too expensive; iirc no more than $100. You'll have to do some googling though

K.Jack

yup, i want to find one similar y50's specs (and dimensions) and not mind paying a bit more for a better screen

The upcoming Clevo P650SE is what you guys want!

Specs:

CPU:
Intel Core i7-4702HQ, 4710HQ, 4770HQ, 4870HQ, 4980HQ (options)

GPU:
nVidia GTX 970M 3GB DDR5 (P65xSE)
nVidia GTX 980M 4GB DDR5 (P65xSG)

Screen:
15.6 "1920x1080 (FHD)
* 2880x1620 screen (WQHD+ option)
* 3840x2160 screen (QFHD option)

RAM:
4 x SODIMM (up to 32GB)

Storage:
2 x 2.5" 7mm 2.5" SDD / HDD (or a single 9mm)
2 x M.2 Slots with SATA interface

Dimension:
385x271x25 mm
2.6kg including battery

Others:

- Backlit Keyboard
- 4-cell battery ( 60WH)
- Onkyo Speakers
- Fingerprint Reader
- HDMI (1 HDMI port and two MiniDisplay Port)
- Camara FullHD
- 3G/4G option
Pics:

hKhKIsF.jpg

DPFbYV2.png

TeSQ6aS.jpg

dwLlIa2.png

Will have more news for you guys soon.

Any recommendation for a youngster's laptop? They want to play Minecraft and Terraria and other games like that. My only real requirement is that it have a good display - I really dislike laptops with poor screens.

Seems I need to provide more info:

USA
$500 - $700
15+ ? (not picky)
Minecraft, Terraria, etc.
Great screen, other features like minimal noise and heat are a bonus but not required

This.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Im reading alot of stuff on the Notebook Review forums and it sounds like tomorrow might be the day...

All I want is a GS60 with a 970M and a 1080p screen. Im hoping MSI doesnt release the 3K version first

You want the GS60 Ghost Pro-044 (9S7-16H512-044), GS60 Ghost Pro-064 (9S7-16H512-064), or GS60 Ghost Pro-066 (9S7-16H512-066).

Now to wait for some reviews for the 900 models.

Definitely itching to buy that laptop now. Hopefully the prices will stabilize since some of the models with the new GPUs are crazy.

Top Bottom