• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016: Year of the Monster-Raising RPG?

ash_ag

You know the drill. Catch them, train them, put them in battle. Starting with Pokémon’s release in 1996, the monster collect/raise/battle RPG sub-genre began booming with games based on both new franchises and side-series of ones. Some of them succeeded, while others… not so much. Nevertheless, the category remains robust today, and is especially prominent for its preservation of turn-based systems.

I feel 2016 is a particularly strong year for the genre, which prompted me to open this thread. Unfortunately, many of them are currently only scheduled for Japan, but more and more start to appear in the west. Perhaps raising the excitement could lead to more localizations! So, without further ado...

IDAHkAc.png
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth [PSV/PS4] (February 2nd / NA, February 5th / EU)
A long-awaited localization for one of the most state-of-the-art games for PS Vita. It’s based on the as of late incredibly prolific Digimon franchise, and introduces many interesting new elements to it. Cyber Sleuth has a special focus on story, and unlike previous games of the series, seems to have an older target audience. The western release not only improves upon the Japanese original, but also introduces a PS4 version.

zTnXGeA.png

Digimon World: Next Order [PSV] (March 17th / JP)
Unlike Cyber Sleuth, Next Order is an entry to the Digimon World sub-series and follows its own mechanics. Even more visually competent than its predecessor, it focuses on the premise of integrating the traditional Digimon v-pet systems on an RPG. It introduces a new mechanic called ExE-volution, and seems to have a story connection to the first Digimon World game from 1999.

G4XMPrX.png

Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 3 [3DS] (March 24th / JP)
Joker 3 is the second Dragon Quest release (following Builders) of an inevitably big year for the franchise. While the last Joker game released in 2010, DQMJ3 is the third Monsters game on 3DS, after the remakes of the two original games. Unfortunately, those haven’t been localized -- but with the revitalized interest in bringing Dragon Quest to the west following Heroes, who knows?

L7Ob8kU.png

Yo-Kai Watch [3DS] (2016 / EU)
While it has already released in North America and Australia, the first game of the popular Yo-Kai Watch series arrives in 2016 in Europe, along with the many media based on it. Meanwhile, while it didn’t have a strong start in North America, it remains to be seen if it will eventually catch on with younger players in the west -- it’s common for such series to not be immediately popular by their debut, after all. 2016 is definitely a big year for Yo-Kai Watch.

M35fq3V.png

Yo-Kai Watch 3 [3DS] (Summer / JP)
After three incredibly successful entries (including a third version) in Japan, Yo-Kai Watch continues with its third “generation”, so to speak. Details are yet to come, but this time the game takes place in USA and utilizes such concepts, including new Yo-Kai based on American themes. Also scheduled for 2016 is Yo-Kai Sangokushi, a spin-off crossover with Koei Tecmo’s series.

XSgDFCj.png

World of Final Fantasy [PSV / PS4] (2016 / WW)
Pretty crazy that it took so long for Final Fantasy to do something with the sub-genre. World of Final Fantasy brings FF monsters and classic FF heroes together in a system reminiscent of early Final Fantasy games. ATB returns, and features the twist of, uh, stacking iconic heroes with famous monsters from the series to fight enemies. Set in a world called Grimoire, the game features charming art and beautiful graphics. Time to catch Cloud Strife and evolve Ifrit to his final form!

BHnv1bs.png

Monster Hunter Stories [3DS] (2016 / JP)
In spite of being announced earlier than Monster Hunter X, Stories is actually a 2016 game. It’s the first Monster Hunter RPG, and also the first game in the series to have a focus on story. Instead of being a Hunter, the player assumes the role of a Rider, who is, well, the universe’s equivalent of Pokémon Otomon Trainers. Riders raise friendly monsters, “Otomon”, that hatch from eggs -- and they often fight other monsters along with them, including iconic ones from the series. This probably won’t come as a surprise, but Monster Hunter Stories will also have a tie-in anime.

wE3hI1T.png
Scalebound [XBO] (2016 / WW)
Developed by PlatinumGames, direct by Hideki Kamiya! While Scalebound doesn't feature the traditional collection aspect of the genre, it gives a new dynamic to the tamer / partner monster relationship as it focuses on Drew, controlled by the player, and Thuban, a dragon that accompanies him. Its combat is action-based, and there's a strong design focus on Thuban's AI.

RXq5mMB.png

Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom [PS4] (?)
The original Ni no Kuni games introduced one of the most innovative systems of recent years for the genre. As the sequel was very recently announced in PSX, we still know very little about it or its systems. However, it seems reasonable to expect Familiars will return, and a system that follows the originals’ steps will be adopted. It should be mentioned that Ni no Kuni II is not confirmed to release in 2016. In fact, it could take a while.

e5vwX2i.png

Pokémon (?)
Last but not least, 2016 is the 20th Anniversary of the franchise that helped the sub-genre become as big as it is today. So, what’s up with Pokémon in 2016? That’s a good question. For starters, a Virtual Console re-release of Red, Green, Blue and Yellow is scheduled for February 27th worldwide -- Japan even gets a “physical” edition of the game, which comes with an eShop code and reproductions of extras included with the originals! Pokémon GO, an AR game for mobile platforms is also planned for next year.

As for new core series entries by Game Freak -- could “Z”, or a different Gen 6 game be coming? Maybe Gen 7 will debut? We currently have no idea -- but as it stands, it seems more likely than not that a major release is due for 2016.

More?
I may have forgotten about a few releases, and there may be even more yet to be announced, come 2016. Other games that are worth a mention would include Medarot 9, which is essentially the “robot” equivalent of the genre, Shin Megami Tensei 4: FINAL, which includes certain familiar elements as part of its battle system, as well as perhaps even Persona 5. Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance HD, part of II.8 Final Chapter Prologue also includes some similar concepts in Dream Eaters.

----------------------------------------------

The following don't necessarily focus on collecting and raising monsters, but feature demons and other monster-like creatures. They include many familiar elements and might be a good choice for fans of the genre!

ZSo2Y6Q.png
]
Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final [3DS] (February 10th / JP)
Acting as a sequel to the 2013 game, Final returns to the post-apocalyptic world of SMTIV. The protagonist is called to become a "God Killer" after being contracted by the demon Daguza. Players can recruit a big number of Demons to use them in battle, while fusing them further raises their power.

blt9nng.png
Nights of Azure [PS3 / PSV / PS4] (March 29th / NA, April 1st / EU)

ftH6gAC.png
Trillion: God of Destruction (Spring, NA & EU)

0vdIjCu.png
Persona 5 [PS3 / PS4] (2016 / WW)

Feel free to point out any game I may have missed!​

So, what are your hopes and expectations from the category next year? What are you planning to pick up, and which localizations are you rooting for?

Easily my favorite subgenre of RPG. Glad to see so many upcoming releases, particularly Digimon. Very excited to be getting a localized modern Digimon game. <3

Digimon World -Next Order- and Shin Megami Tensei IV Final are my two most anticipated titles for next year, so I'd say yes. It should be a great year for monster raising.

Next Order looks like it could be the definitive monster raising game when it comes to the Digimon World style of focusing on actually raising your monsters and forming bonds with them (as opposed to more battle oriented stuff like Pokemon, Digimon Story, Shin Megami Tensei, etc).

True Fire

All that's missing is Monster Rancher. Damn do I miss that franchise.

Thinking about Monster Rancher makes me so sad. For however badly Digimon is treated, it still gets new series every 3 years, amazing merchandise, and the occasional localization.

There's no hope left for Monster Rancher.

bigjig

How does the western release of Cyber sleuth improve on the Japanese one? Still thinking about which version to get.

Persona doesn't have monster raising.

It does in the rudimentary sense, considering the leveling up and fusing of personas

ash_ag

All right, I added SMTIV Final. I wasn't sure if it quite fits the bill, which is why I only had a note at the end. Should I also add Persona 5, or would that one be a stretch?

Wouldn't Scalebound count?
I know it was originally envisioned to be Monster vs. Monster, but has this element survived beyond Thuban? It would be incredibly interesting if an extensive game of the genre tried an Action-RPG combat similar to Scalebound's, where you can participate in the battle while giving commands to your monster.

How does the western release of Cyber sleuth improve on the Japanese one? Still thinking about which version to get.
There are balance tweaks here and there based on feedback from the Japanese version, as well as an added New Game+ option. There's also cross-save between the4 PS4 and Vita versions.

TreIII

The only games in the OP that I have little or no interest are Ni no Kuni and Yokai Watch.

Otherwise, bring 'em all on. Especially Monster Hunter Stories.

Wasn't there a kickstarter that looked ok (to me) pretty recently with a monster raising feature?

I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: Turns out there are a bunch but I couldn't find the one I was thinking of.

Kssio_Aug

I wasn't aware of Shin Megami Tensei IV: Final; which are AMAZING news, since I'm recently playing SMT IV and loving it!

Completely hyped for Cyber Sleuth. Been wanting a true Digimon RPG on consoles for a bit now. Thinking about grabbing Yo-Kai Watch to hold me down till Cyber Sleuth comes out. A Joker 3 localization would be nice also.

ash_ag

Wouldn't Scalebound count?

Scalebound kinda counts

u forgot the best one; scalebound

I'm hesitant about Scalebound because it mostly focuses on Drew and Thuban, which is to say it doesn't feature the "collection" aspect of the genre, as far as I know. However, considering the game seems to check out on the majority of the genre's criteria even if they don't necessarily focus on all of them, I guess there's no harm in stretching the definition a bit. Added!

I do hope more C/R/B RPGs take a page out of Scalebound in the future in terms of partner monster AI. I love turn-based combat, but the dynamics of Scalebound are something else. I was recently thinking about how the first Digimon World allowed the Tamer to move freely in the overworld, while still giving commands to their Digimon. There wasn't much of an AI in that case, but it was a nice alternative to the traditional approach. I'm excited to see Scalebound achieving an actually immersive result.

smtiv final and nights of azure/ Yoru no Nai Kuni for monster/demon collecting too

Along with SMTIV: FINAL, shouldn't this also include Persona 5?

It's a bit more unorthodox, but Trillion: God of Destruction is a demon
waifu
raising RPG. Coming Spring 2016.

Since there's a growing number of Demon-raising RPGs, I think it would be better to have a distinct category for those. Even in SMT's case, Pokémon or Yo-Kai Watch don't immediately comes to mind when you think about similar games.

In fact, Shin Megami Tensei used to have its own offer for C/R/B RPGs in Devil Children / DemiKids! It's a much more extensive series than most would imagine, but it never got past the GBA era, unfortunately. Except for a mobile game in 2011, that is.

ZBDPUTw.png
BlzqPd2.png

WolvenOne

Definitely interested in World of Final Fantasy.

Cyber Sleuth I'm undecided on, but I guess I'm leaning towards a yes there.

Other then that I guess I'm interested in the Yokai Watch games and Ni No Kuni 2.

ash_ag

these kind of games gets released in japan every year, nothing new here :p

When you go a few years back, Yo-Kai Watch wasn't a thing, Digimon was barely holding on, Ni no Kuni II was a pipe dream, Final Fantasy and Monster Hunter didn't have their own offering for the genre, and so on and so forth. :p

While you're right on that those games aren't entirely uncommon, 2016 is a beast. All signature franchises ( Monster Rancher aside :( ) have a new release, and there are quite a few newcomers too.

Top Bottom