• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2018 TVs to get. Sony 900F is another winner.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
If anyone is looking for a new TV to get for 2018 that is excellent for gaming the Sony 900F can’t be recommended enough with its excellent image quality, local dimming and reasonably low input lag.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900f

I plan to pick up this TV on Black Friday this year as I hope it will drop to $999 by then as it’s being sold at full MSRP at the moment.

If you’re looking a TV right now the 900E is still an excellent choice and is being phased out at most retailers for $999

Other TVs to keep an eye on:
TCL 6-series
Vizio P or M series.

I haven’t paid much attention to Samsung given their lackluster 2017 lineup and lack of Dolby Vision.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Waiting for rtings review on tcl 6 series but the Vizio p and p quantum series look nice.
Yeah, the TCL p-series (now known as the 6-series) from 2017 is one the best TVs ever in terms of value. On paper the 6-series could be even better.

Vizio on the otherhand, the 2018 P-series seems worse than the 2017 in that they have cut the number of local dimming zones in half.

The Vizio Quantum series could end up being outstanding, but I will have to see what prices it ends up going for in the actual stores, because $2200 is out of the question. At that point, I spend a little more and get an OLED.

It looks like Vizio is changing their tv tiers. The upcoming P Series Quantum will be the new P Series, and the P Series is now more closely in line with the previous M Series. As far as budget 65" tv's, I'm impatiently waiting on the TCL 6 series, and I hope it competes with the Sony 900F.

MDSLKTR

Is there a point getting a brand new tv now when HDMI 2.1 is around the corner? I figure VRR by itself is enough future proofing with the upcoming next gen

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Was looking at these but i saw this review and it says input lag is poor for gaming. I assume its the same tv.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/sony-kd-55xf9005
They're the same TV. According to rtings, the input lag is fine, but not the best and Rtings uses a much more accurate measurement system.

But I am the last person to worry about input lag since it has never come remotely close to bothering me. I don't recall ever using game mode on a TV since the image quality loss was never worth it for me.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Is there a point getting a brand new tv now when HDMI 2.1 is around the corner? I figure VRR by itself is enough future proofing with the upcoming next gen
HDMI 2.1 content is so ridiculously far off, that I see it as being a non-factor.
4K hasn't even become the gaming norm and it will be much longer until 8K becomes and even remote consideration.

If you’re playing competitively on a mainstream HDTV you’ll rarely find anything with less than 20ms input lag and virtually never lower than 10ms. Monitors are the only option if you want to minimize input lag rocks relative inapplicability.

TBH, I’m not looking at anything other than OLED for TVs, primarily because the BFGDs look to be doing most of what current 2018 TVs are doing while incorporating the best aspects of monitor technology. Now to sell off one of my kidneys to afford one...

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Yeah, the TCL p-series (now known as the 6-series) from 2017 is one the best TVs ever in terms of value. On paper the 6-series could be even better.

Vizio on the otherhand, the 2018 P-series seems worse than the 2017 in that they have cut the number of local dimming zones in half.

The Vizio Quantum series could end up being outstanding, but I will have to see what prices it ends up going for in the actual stores, because $2200 is out of the question. At that point, I spend a little more and get an OLED.

I agree with you about the quantum already being overly priced right out the gate.

Top Bottom