• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need Advice on What TV to Buy

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I want to buy my mother a new television and my budget is $1000 (before tax is applied). I want the television to be 55" and to have 4K resolution with HDR. The TV that I'm considering getting her is one of the TVs that I have: The TCL R617 (AKA TCL R615), which is a 55" 4K TV that supports both HDR 10 and Dolby Vision. The reason that I'm considering this TV is that it has the best contrast ratios (native and with local dimming) and HDR levels of brightness among all TVs that I've considered that fit my budget (not including the TCL 8 Series, which I'll address later). Just take a look at the following values determined by Rtings:

TCL R615 | R617:

9IfNizg.jpg

An alternative TV that I'm considering is the Sony X950H. However, it has lower contrast ratios and lower levels of brightness in HDR (and SDR).

Sony X950H (The values on the left are those of the TCL R615 | 617 and those on the right are those of the Sony X950H):

RET5dCk.png

However, I'm torn between the two TVs because while the TCL has better contrast ratios and better levels of brightness, it doesn't have the best quality control; hence, there is a chance that any unit that my mother receives could have severe vertical banding or severe dirty screen effect. I was lucky in regard to my TCL R617, because it doesn't have vertical banding and has minimal dirty screen effect (my unit); however, based on what I've read and seen on YouTube, a lot of units of this model have these two issues. I'm thinking of just taking the chance with the TCL; if a good unit isn't delivered to my mother, then I'll just return it and get the Sony.

I've also considered the TCL 8 Series, which is a QLED (Quantum Dot Light Emitting Diodes) TV, even though it's 65" rather than 55"; its quantum dots enable it to produce a significantly brighter picture, more saturated colors, and better contrast ratios than both the TCL 615 | 617 and the Sony X950H, as you can see below.

pUzOTrO.png

However, I have read and seen YouTube videos that indicate that it crushes blacks, meaning that when it displays things that are black (e.g. shadows, hair, black clothing, etc), it renders them as pure black and therefore doesn't display any details within them. Here's a rant that I found about it on YouTube.

Rbk_3

The LG 55B9 can be had for a couple hundred more than that if you're talking USD. It blows those TVs away.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
The LG 55B9 can be had for a couple hundred more than that if you're talking USD. It blows those TVs away.
That TV is $2000 on Amazon; I just checked. Also, it's an OLED, which means that it can suffer from burn-in.

EDIT:

I just found it on Best Buy for $1329, but that's still out of my budget and it's still an OLED.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Wow, it's as if you disregarded my budget. Also, I don't care about OLED's Infinite contrast ratio and color accuracy relative to its low brightness and tendency to suffer burn-in.
You deserve better than a mediocre TV my guy. Break the bank and disregard the budget. Newer LG's are nowhere near as susceptible to burn in and have anti-burn in measures built in also.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
You deserve better than a mediocre TV my guy. Break the bank and disregard the budget. Newer LG's are nowhere near as susceptible to burn in and have anti-burn in measures built in also.
My mother's not tech savvy; she'll be blown away by one of the TVs mentioned in the OP.

Reactions: MrS

Rbk_3

My mother's not tech savvy; she'll be blown away by one of the TVs mentioned in the OP.

The real play here is to sell your TV to your mother and get the Oled for yourself. You also say low brightness, but it is almost the same as the TCL you posted and produces much better HDR. Infact the 2% window is higher and 10% is on par. Those are the 2% that matter most for HDR highlights.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
The TCL 8 series has been increased from $1000 to $1299 on Best Buy. It's now out of my budget.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
The real play here is to sell your TV to your mother and get the Oled for yourself. You also say low brightness, but it is almost the same as the TCL you posted and produces much better HDR.
I'm not selling my mother anything; I'm gifting her a TV.

Also, the OLED is objectively darker than the TCL.

TCL 6 Series is on the left and the B9 is on the right.

Rbk_3

I'm not selling my mother anything; I'm gifting her a TV.

Also, the OLED is objectively darker than the TCL.

TCL 6 Series is on the left and the B9 is on the right.

The HDR on the OLED is still far superior despite a lower peak brightness on <25% windows. FALD cannot complete with the ability to turn a pixel complete off.

I also have a KS8000 that can do 1600 nits and HDR on the OLED is vastly superior despite half the peak brightness.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
The HDR on the OLED is still far superior despite a lower peak brightness on <25% windows. FALD cannot complete with the ability to turn a pixel complete off.

I also have a KS8000 that can do 1600 nits and HDR on the OLED is vastly superior despite half the peak brightness.
What are you talking about? The B9 is hundreds of nits less bright than the TCL 6 Series in every category, not just windows that are less than 25% screen size. OLEDs are unfit for use when there is a lot of sunlight/ ambient light coming into a room during the day; my mom's living room is filled with lots of ambient light during the day, so the OLED simply would not be bright enough. I understand that OLEDs have the best contrast ratios and subsequently the best HDR in terms of the difference between its darkest blacks and whitest whites (as well as between different colors and different shades of the same color), but in terms of absolute values, their brightness levels are just not good; their whitest whites can't compare to those of an LCD. Also, as I said, the B9 is out of my budget.

I want to buy my mother a new television and my budget is $1000 (before tax is applied). I want the television to be 55" and to have 4K resolution with HDR. The TV that I'm considering getting her is one of the TVs that I have: The TCL R617 (AKA TCL R615), which is a 55" 4K TV that supports both HDR 10 and Dolby Vision. The reason that I'm considering this TV is that it has the best contrast ratios (native and with local dimming) and HDR levels of brightness among all TVs that I've considered that fit my budget (not including the TCL 8 Series, which I'll address later). Just take a look at the following values determined by Rtings:

TCL R615 | R617:

9IfNizg.jpg

An alternative TV that I'm considering is the Sony X950H. However, it has lower contrast ratios and lower levels of brightness in HDR (and SDR).

Sony X950H (The values on the left are those of the TCL R615 | 617 and those on the right are those of the Sony X950H):

RET5dCk.png

However, I'm torn between the two TVs because while the TCL has better contrast ratios and better levels of brightness, it doesn't have the best quality control; hence, there is a chance that any unit that my mother receives could have severe vertical banding or severe dirty screen effect. I was lucky in regard to my TCL R617, because it doesn't have vertical banding and has minimal dirty screen effect (my unit); however, based on what I've read and seen on YouTube, a lot of units of this model have these two issues. I'm thinking of just taking the chance with the TCL; if a good unit isn't delivered to my mother, then I'll just return it and get the Sony.

I've also considered the TCL 8 Series, which is a QLED (Quantum Dot Light Emitting Diodes) TV, even though it's 65" rather than 55"; its quantum dots enable it to produce a significantly brighter picture, more saturated colors, and better contrast ratios than both the TCL 615 | 617 and the Sony X950H, as you can see below.

pUzOTrO.png

However, I have read and seen YouTube videos that indicate that it crushes blacks, meaning that when it displays things that are black (e.g. shadows, hair, black clothing, etc), it renders them as pure black and therefore doesn't display any details within them. Here's a rant that I found about it on YouTube.

Of those two get the Sony. TCL quality control is atrocious. Banding and dse being the worst offenders of that tv.

Alternative would be Sony 900f which would actually be cheaper than the H because it is a 2018 model. But there is a reason Sony is still producing them two years late, legendary TV.

natjjohn

I’ve never owned one but TCLs seem to have a high lottery factor. You may get a long lasting TV or one that dies right after warranty expires. With that, I’d go the Sony.

OLED is great, but as you wisely noted, if mainly watching in a bright room, there will be annoyances.

I have a feeling that your mom won't really be able to tell the difference of the graphics of better models. just get her whatever model that's decent with a good price tag. hell, get her a 65" one instead of a 55". the bigger screen will probably benefit her and impress her more if she's anything like the moms I know.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I’ve never owned one but TCLs seem to have a high lottery factor. You may get a long lasting TV or one that dies right after warranty expires. With that, I’d go the Sony.

OLED is great, but as you wisely noted, if mainly watching in a bright room, there will be annoyances.
I guess that I hit the lottery with my TCL; I've had it since June of 2018.

Oddly enough I have two LG OLEDs and two TCLs. My wife plays xbox on our TCL in the bedroom and I play on my OLED in my game room. There’s a massive difference in quality between the two sets. Now mind you, I’m not saying the TCL is junk because considering what we paid for it it’s a pretty sweet TV. Also, I’ve had my first OLED for nearly three years And have yet to notice any burn in. Fingers crossed obviously. I don’t think you can go wrong with either TV dude.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Oddly enough I have two LG OLEDs and two TCLs. My wife plays xbox on our TCL in the bedroom and I play on my OLED in my game room. There’s a massive difference in quality between the two sets. Now mind you, I’m not saying the TCL is junk because considering what we paid for it it’s a pretty sweet TV. Also, I’ve had my first OLED for nearly three years And have yet to notice any burn in. Fingers crossed obviously. I don’t think you can go wrong with either TV dude.

How do the brightness levels compare between the TCLs and the OLEDs? Also, in what specific ways are the OLEDs superior?

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I just checked out the 950G. It has great contrast and brightness levels in both SDR and HDR. However, though it's $1000 at Best Buy, it's not available at Best Buy in my area either in person or via shipping; and on Amazon it's only available at prices higher than $1000 and from third part sellers.

I just checked out the 950G. It has great contrast and brightness levels in both SDR and HDR. However, though it's $1000 at Best Buy, it's not available at Best Buy in my area either in person or via shipping; and on Amazon it's only available at prices higher than $1000 and from third part sellers.

Did you check for any 900f's. The one I picked up was manufactured May 2020 so there has to be some around id imagine.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just make sure to get the TV at Costco.

Best warranties in the business. Buy the extended deal for $100 and get 5 years total of warranty coverage, including in home pick up and drop off.

BluRayHiDef

Banned

Just make sure to get the TV at Costco.

Best warranties in the business. Buy the extended deal for $100 and get 5 years total of warranty coverage, including in home pick up and drop off.
Now I've got another issue. I've found it at only a 3rd part seller on Amazon and I don't trust 3rd party sellers. I can't find it at Costco or at Best Buy (the 55").

EDIT:

Here's the seller: Link

They're all the way in Arizona; I and my mother live in NYC. I'd get it if it were at least fulfilled by Amazon but still sold by the seller, but that's not the case.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Now I've got another issue. I've found it at only a 3rd part seller on Amazon and I don't trust 3rd party sellers. I can't find it at Costco or at Best Buy (the 55").

EDIT:

Here's the seller: Link

They're all the way in Arizona; I and my mother live in NYC. I'd get it if it were at least fulfilled by Amazon but still sold by the seller, but that's not the case.
Costco rarely has the exact same model number, but there should be a model pretty close to it. Then again, Costco doesn't sell everything, so maybe the TVs you are scoping out doesn't have a a model even close to it.

The TV I got there years ago was the exact same model as other stores were selling right down to the product number. So for some things like TVs, it looks like manufacturers can't always adjust it for a Costco version.

For big ticket items like this I would never buy off a random reseller. Most of the time, they are probably legit, but I don't think I've ever bought from an Amazon reseller or a Craiglists guy either. I only buy from legit stores. I've sold things though.

You got to be a real trusting person to buy off random no-name people. I don't have the trust. Nor do I want to spend time hassling with a no-name place. I'm guessing Amazon has policies in place to protect you from third party marketplace people scamming you but still, I wouldn't bother.

lachesis

If it's for your mom, then I think either option would be well. I would go with X950h if that fits in your bill.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Costco rarely has the exact same model number, but there should be a model pretty close to it. Then again, Costco doesn't sell everything, so maybe the TVs you are scoping out doesn't have a a model even close to it.

The TV I got there years ago was the exact same model as other stores were selling right down to the product number. So for some things like TVs, it looks like manufacturers can't always adjust it for a Costco version.

For big ticket items like this I would never buy off a random reseller. Most of the time, they are probably legit, but I don't think I've ever bought from an Amazon reseller or a Craiglists guy either. I only buy from legit stores. I've sold things though.

You got to be a real trusting person to buy off random no-name people. I don't have the trust. Nor do I want to spend time hassling with a no-name place. I'm guessing Amazon has policies in place to protect you from third party marketplace people scamming you but still, I wouldn't bother.

I've narrowed my choices to the following:

1. TCL 8 Series (65")

2. Sony X900F

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I've narrowed my choices to the following:

1. TCL 8 Series (65")

2. Sony X900F
Read up on Sony TVs. I have the 900E and a 2019 Oreo OS update killed eArc port so HDMI cables don't work. Read up on forums and see if other Sony models got hit. I had to get an optical cable so it works with my home theatre system.

Someone else the past month said the same thing and I think he had a more recent model than me.

Here's what some of us got hit with.

Well look at that, it might have been solved. I'll give it a try. Thanks for bringing up this thread, would have never bothered checking.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Read up on Sony TVs. I have the 900E and a 2019 Oreo OS update killed eArc port so HDMI cables don't work. Read up on forums and see if other Sony models got hit. I had to get an optical cable so it works with my home theatre system.

Someone else the past month said the same thing and I think he had a more recent model than me.

Here's what some of us got hit with.

All HDMI ports don't work...at all or just for audio-only input?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
All HDMI ports don't work...at all or just for audio-only input?
I updated my post, so there might have been a solve.

The port for eArc (which I think is HDMI 1 I forget), which is used for connecting to a home theatre for sound. My home theatre isn't a 4k model. And I have no 4k receiver.

Other HDMI ports work. So if you connect a game system or 4k cable box direct to the TV it works.

One potential issue I ran into when I hooked up my year old 4k cable box was green pixelation every minute. I also have my Xbox X there too and all my cables are amassed together in a tight spot. I tried HDMI cables that came with the cable box and XBox. Still got interference. I'm assuming the cables that come with the cable box and Xbox are 4k compatible. Maybe not. Or maybe they are just shit quality.

I bought a pack of Costco 4k cables (two pack) and used them. One from 4k cable box to TV, the other Xbox X to tv. Perfect. No green pixels.

Someone said to me it probably has to do with these cables having better shielding so it doesn't get borked with all the other cables and gear near them. Just something to keep in mind if your mom's media set up has tons of gear squished in the same spot.

would have never guessed because I just assumed a 4k HDMI cable is a 4k HDMI cable and everyone on the net seems to say just find the cheapest one you can get as they are basically the same. Not for my situation. The Costco ones were better.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I updated my post, so there might have been a solve.

The port for eArc (which I think is HDMI 1 I forget), which is used for connecting to a home theatre for sound. My home theatre isn't a 4k model. And I have no 4k receiver.

Other HDMI ports work. So if you connect a game system or 4k cable box direct to the TV it works.

One potential issue I ran into when I hooked up my year old 4k cable box was green pixelation every minute. I also have my Xbox X there too and all my cables are amassed together in a tight spot. I tried HDMI cables that came with the cable box and XBox. Still got interference. I'm assuming the cables that come with the cable box and Xbox are 4k compatible. Maybe not. Or maybe they are just shit quality.

I bought a pack of Costco 4k cables (two pack) and used them. One from 4k cable box to TV, the other Xbox X to tv. Perfect. No green pixels.

Someone said to me it probably has to do with these cables having better shielding so it doesn't get borked with all the other cables and gear near them. Just something to keep in mind if your mom's media set up has tons of gear squished in the same spot.

would have never guessed because I just assumed a 4k HDMI cable is a 4k HDMI cable and everyone on the net seems to say just find the cheapest one you can get as they are basically the same. Not for my situation. The Costco ones were better.
Well, I think I'll take the risk, depending on what my mother says about the choice between the X900F and TCL 8 Series.

Anki

Banned
If its for your mum then just get the biggest TV you can afford from sony, samsung, lg, philips....
I doubt she cares about 120hz, hdmi 2.1 and other things.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
My mother dissuaded me from buying her a new TV. She said that she didn't want me to spend so much money for a TV, namely the Sony X900F, and that the TCL R615 | 617 was too prone to quality control issues after reading the comment section of a YouTube-video review of it.

So, when this year's TCL 6 Series, which will have mini LEDs and hundreds of local-dimming zones, is released, I'll buy one for myself since the series will support HDMI 2.1 and then I'll give her my TCL R617.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Debatable that it's far superior to high end QLEDs, if you're in a dark room then yes, otherwise the difference is not so noticeable. Also, HDR benefits greatly from more brightness and color volume that LCDs can bring compared to OLEDs, it's a trade off and a preference.

Also FLAD has improved in 2019/2020 models compared to 2016 models.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Debatable that it's far superior to high end QLEDs, if you're in a dark room then yes, otherwise the difference is not so noticeable. Also, HDR benefits greatly from more brightness and color volume that LCDs can bring compared to OLEDs, it's a trade off and a preference.

Also FLAD has improved in 2019/2020 models compared to 2016 models.
Speaking of QLEDs, what do you think of TCL's 8 Series, which features up to 25,000 mini LEDs?

Ulysses 31

Speaking of QLEDs, what do you think of TCL's 8 Series, which features up to 25,000 mini LEDs?
I'm not that familiar with TCL but I've read that the miniLED is passive matrix which isn't that good and it'd be better to wait for a miniLED with active matrix backlighting.

Ulysses 31

Explain the difference, please.
The simplicity of the passive-matrix system is beautiful, but it has significant drawbacks, notably slow response time and imprecise voltage control. Response time refers to the LCD's ability to refresh the image displayed. The easiest way to observe slow response time in a passive-matrix LCD is to move the mouse pointer quickly from one side of the screen to the other. You will notice a series of "ghosts" following the pointer. Imprecise voltage control hinders the passive matrix's ability to influence only one pixel at a time. When voltage is applied to untwist one pixel, the pixels around it also partially untwist, which makes images appear fuzzy and lacking in contrast.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
What models from other brands have active matrix backlighting?

Ulysses 31

What models from other brands have active matrix backlighting?
No idea, I just happened to know about the TCL one because Stop the FOMO mentioned it in one of his videos. Since I pretty much only buy high end Samsungs I know those have active matrices for QLED to be the quality that they are. :lollipop_grinning:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
<Paul Bettany's voice>
What's the best 55" TV a person could buy? Here, May ninth, in the year of our Lord?
</voice>

Last edited:
Top Bottom