• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just bought a switch oled! Holy Shit I am impressed

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Up until recently, I have been gaming on the ps5,pc, and my switch lite. I have been eyeing an OLED switch for awhile now but kept worrying about the Switch 2. I do not think it's coming out until atleast late next year and may be much different than just a switch 2. I decided to finally start looking for a swith oled deal. The price also was throwing me off. The price With Tax in my area for a switch oled is about $370. I was able to secure a like new switch oled with the box and everything on ebay for $240. All I got to say is damn....

I HAVE BEEN MISSING OUT!

When I first took it out of the box, I was not impressed. Going into the settings, I realized that piece of shit auto brightness box was checked. Once I unchecked that, the screen came to life. Super bright with deep blacks.

I got this new sweet baby girl yesterday (white one with white dock) and the screen is blowing me away. Coming from a much smaller much dimmer switch lite it is a big upgrade. Games like Rogue Legacy 2 where I struggled to see the text I can see it clear as day. The colors are so rich if looks like High end HDR. Games like Metroid Droid the colors pop, while dark areas are inky black. There is no hint at light bleed due to each pixel being lit independently. Games just look better and makes me want to play games more in handheld mode. I have an Amoled smart phone and the switch looks better than my Galaxy in some ways.

People also told me that switch games look like shit on the tv through the dock. I can say that is 100% untrue. I have a high end 4k quantum dot television. with 1400 nit peak brightness and all the bells and whistles. Games through dock mode look colorful and crisp.

Sushi_Combo

I unfortunately have it but have not played it as much as I would have liked. The OLED screen is definitely a nice upgrade from the base model. I see some switch games actually on sale so might pick some up to play during the holiday season.

Little Mac

Gold Member
I have a Switch OLED but it's always docked because I'm cursed with what some of you may call "adult sized hands" and joy-cons are terrible to hold if you are older than 12, not a woman, or call yourself Donald Trump. I use the pro controller but the graphics docked are meh on a 4K TV and I feel like I wasted money on an OLED screen I don't use. That and the fact there hasn't been a Punch Out game in decades and I just feel like Nintendo is just fucking with me at this point.

Last edited:
OP, welcome to the Switch OLED family!

you-bought-a-sw-itch.gif

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
But will it have an OLED screen, though? Or do we have to wait for the next iteration for that? :/
It’s Nintendo so you can bet they’ll go the cheap route for the first iteration, i.e. no OLED..

I’d love to be proven wrong though.

Sojiro

I’ve heard good things. I’ll hold out until “Switch 2” at this point though.
My thoughts too. I already have an OG switch and can't justify buying another when the one I have works perfectly fine just for an upgrade in screen quality. Holding off for the next switch as well. Fingers crossed for an OLED model but I am not getting my hopes up.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I own three of them. They're glorious, agreed.

Comandr

It’s Nintendo so you can bet they’ll go the cheap route for the first iteration, i.e. no OLED..

I’d love to be proven wrong though.
I think it’s less about being cheap and more about making consumers buy the same product twice.

2024. Switch 2 LCD. $399.
2027. Switch 2 OLED. $449. Slightly larger screen and perhaps bigger battery.

The first primary target customer buys the OG because ofc it’s the new Nintendo thing. Then they wait a bit for things to cool down and bam. Just when people might be getting bored of the old thing you nail them with the NEW new thing that’s even more expensive because it’s more premium.

Now you’ve sold two consoles to someone that would probably only buy one if you started with the OLED model.

Robb

Gold Member
I think it’s less about being cheap and more about making consumers buy the same product twice.
Sure, and I would’ve jumped on the OLED day one if they actually improved the hardware inside somewhat as well.

I hope they do things slightly differently next-gen. OLED is nice, but upgrading just for an improved screen alone is difficult to justify for me.

Celcius

°Temp. member
It’s my second favorite Nintendo console of all time, only behind the SNES. I didn’t buy a switch until the oled model came out and I’ve never hooked it up to a TV - the screen is that good. Tons of great games on the system that you can’t get anywhere else.

The first time I saw the OLED Switch I had to trade up. Boxed up the old poor excuse for a Switch and got the OLED. It's all white dock and controllers.

Gamer79

I have a Switch OLED but it's always docked because I'm cursed with what some of you may call "adult sized hands" and joy-cons are terrible to hold if you are older than 12, not a woman, or call yourself Donald Trump. I use the pro controller but the graphics docked are meh on a 4K TV and I feel like I wasted money on an OLED screen I don't use. That and the fact there hasn't been a Punch Out game in decades and I just feel like Nintendo is just fucking with me at this point.
Why not get the hori split pad pro for handheld?

Banjo64

cumsessed
Why not get the hori split pad pro for handheld?
Skull & Co. NeoGrip for Nintendo Switch OLED and Regular Model: An Ergonomic Grip Hard Shell with Replaceable Grips [to fit All Hands Sizes] [No Carrying Case] - OLED White

Best £15 you will ever spend.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
i have a launch and an OLED, and I have to say, the difference for me is kinda small. I mean it's nice, but I have not been blown away.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
i have a launch and an OLED, and I have to say, the difference for me is kinda small. I mean it's nice, but I have not been blown away.

Wasn't really blown away either. Returned the OLED and kept the V2 instead. For me personally, it just wasn't worth it in the end. Too much money, and I mostly play docked anyway. But I am tempted to get the red Mario one, love the look of it. Fuck these unnecessary cravings. Switch 2 it is!

Gamer79

Wasn't really blown away either. Returned the OLED and kept the V2 instead. For me personally, it just wasn't worth it in the end. Too much money, and I mostly play docked anyway. But I am tempted to get the red Mario one, love the look of it. Fuck these unnecessary cravings. Switch 2 it is!
About a year away I bet. If they were just showing prototypes recently, maybe longer.

Lupin3

About a year away I bet. If they were just showing prototypes recently, maybe longer.

It probably is. It could be spring/early summer, but I wonder if they would release an at least sort of hyped first party title (peach showtime) that close to a new machine? Not before April, that much we know for sure.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
for me the joycons were terrible. Still drift and worse, the rubber completly gone in half a year.

I really hope that if Nintendo charges more for Switch 2 they will invest in better plastics.

Housh

I still have my launch switch which I exclusively play docked so I'm gonna wait for switch 2. However, I jumped on the steam deck revision cause I never got one at launch.

Lupin3

for me the joycons were terrible. Still drift and worse, the rubber completly gone in half a year.

I really hope that if Nintendo charges more for Switch 2 they will invest in better plastics.

I hope not. The Switch is already ridiculously expensive where I live. But yeah, the joy-cons are shit. Not so much quality for me (all my five pairs have held up, without drift or wear), but rather the ergonomics.

OH FFS Now I wish I didn't see this thread.

My girlfriend has recently become obsessed with Super Mario games after having watched the Super Mario movie on Netflix. Now she hogs my PC all the time playing Mario games.

Getting her a switch will get her off my PC so I can continue playing my stuff.

OP you're pushing me ever closer to getting a Switch. I hate you

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Yeah I finally decided to get a Switch but then actually held off for several months when I heard about the OLED coming. Totally worth it. Since my TV and Phone are OLED I think I would have been pretty disappointed with a lesser screen on Switch. If the rumors are true that Switch 2 won't have OLED at the start, I'll wait.

Dice

I thought OLED displays were bad for 30 fps content or is that just on some brands?
OLED has very crisp image change so on OLED the choppiness of 30fps is more strongly perceived by some. However, for other persons such as myself, screens with shittier pixel transition or motion processing have exactly the same amount of choppiness, just also ghosting and artifacts added on top of it. They don't look any smoother to me at all. I prefer OLED because then at least I can make out the details better to make the most of the limited information that you get from less frames.

Last edited:

Deerock71

bart simpson GIF

Edit: there's a lot of dumbasses in here trying to bag on the gorgeous screen. Tossers. 😆

Last edited:

Dice

Get Tears Of The Kingdom and lose yourself in a hundred plus hours of some of the best feel-good gameplay you'll ever find.
My advice for a new Switch owner who wants to buy digital games: Black Friday is almost here. There will be 20% off eShop gift cards. Costco does them as well as a few other places. Load up on those then get the Nintendo Game vouchers in the eShop, those are 2 for $100 credit (that you spent $80 for). Now that's $40 you spent per game.

Saved me a lot of money catching up on Switch my collection.

Ah yes 540p OLED at 20fps with no HDR in 2023
What game are you talking about? Switch OLED panel is 720p 60hz.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I'm glad you're enjoying OLED but this:

People also told me that switch games look like shit on the tv through the dock. I can say that is 100% untrue. I have a high end 4k quantum dot television. with 1400 nit peak brightness and all the bells and whistles. Games through dock mode look colorful and crisp.

Come the fuck on lol. Playing 720p games with no anti-aliasing on a 4K TV is objectively not "crisp".

Dice

Come the fuck on lol. Playing 720p games with no anti-aliasing on a 4K TV is objectively not "crisp".
Most Switch games play 1080p in docked mode. My TV (Sony XBR-48A9S) has nice upscaling features to make it look much better. Combining that with custom brightness/contrast/color settings on the display channel my Switch uses to make up for some of the washed out nature of an upscaled image, it comes out looking pretty good. Yes, it's not 4k with 4:4:4 color and HDR like my Series X, but it is nowhere near distracting. Only certain games, like Xenoblade Chronicles 3, look blurry.

Last edited:

gamer82

yes the oled looks nice, i just picked one up for my xmas with some games the jump from switch lite to this is amazing. i'm looking foward to playing mario wonder, links awkening, tears of the kingdom, pikmin 4, luigis mansion 3 and metorid prime.

christmas day is a quite affair but a busy day lol More games on the backlog .... i will never learn :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I chose not to get one because I use it mostly docked. But yeah, it's pretty neat ❤️

Top Bottom