• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got a Switch and I am surprised

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
At how poor the build quality is of everything in here (apart from the OLED screen). Every single thing (controllers, dock, sensors) feels made of cheap plastic. Compared to PS5 I was really taken aback when I opened the box and held these things.

I dont mind it much though, just surprised. I bought it mainly for portable games as I will be away from home for a couple of months or so. Got both Zeldas for now so pretty excited about playing those. Will go through exclusives and sell it again, or thats the plan.

Also, on a big TV Breath of the wild looks really bad (kinda expected though). I am not planning on playing it on TV much so thats not a big issue for me. Even in handheld mode on that small screen there is aliasing.

Still plenty excited. This thing will be my companion when I am away from home. Never thought I would own a Nintendo console but here we are!

amigastar

At how poor the build quality is of everything in here (apart from the OLED screen). Every single thing (controllers, dock, sensors) feels made of cheap plastic. Compared to PS5 I was really taken aback when I opened the box and held these things.

I dont mind it much though, just surprised. I bought it mainly for portable games as I will be away from home for a couple of months or so. Got both Zeldas for now so pretty excited about playing those. Will go through exclusives and sell it again, or thats the plan.

Also, on a big TV Breath of the wild looks really bad (kinda expected though). I am not planning on playing it on TV much so thats not a big issue for me. Even in handheld mode on that small screen there is aliasing.

Still plenty excited. This thing will be my companion when I am away from home. Never thought I would own a Nintendo console but here we are!
I've owned the SNES, N64 and Gamecube and DS, 3DS at some point. Probably gonna jump on the Switch 2 when it comes out, skipped the Wii, Wii U and Switch console. That being said i really like the design of the Switch. It looks really nice.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
My OLED Switch is pretty solid compared to the original Switch. Joycons have been flimsy since they launched but the system itself is solid. The dock doesn't feel any worse to me than the PS5's plastic parts. The PS5 system has some pretty meh plastic for the chassis, prone to garish scratching when you remove the faceplates. But the controller is definitely solid.

Switch definitely has a solid library, though. Nintendo is notoriously opposed to anti-aliasing for some reason. Get a pro controller if you're using it in docked mode.

Last edited:
Have to say I have no idea what you mean - PS5 is made with recycled crisp packet plastic and comes in a flimsy box tied up in elastic bands. The Oled is a premium device all over.
Yea PS5 actually came in the eco-friendly box, but when it came to making up an award for being green, of course it went to no games Phil

I don't think I can touch different plastics and know which is quality unless I can bend them.

tmlDan

everything ive ever gotten from nintendo is like a cheap childs toy, why is this surprising. That being said, OLED is nice.

acm2000

I didnt think the switch felt particularly cheap the few times ive used one although ive only used the normal and lite not the oled, ps5 plastics are waaaaaay worse and the series consoles way better although since they are just a white box or a black chimney its pretty easy to use nice material.

Topher

Gold Member

When I think of "cheap plastic" then I think of some knock-off product from Amazon. The Switch is not "cheap plastic". Switch feels like a solid piece of hardware so just can't agree with your description.

amigastar

When I think of "cheap plastic" then I think of some knock-off product from Amazon. The Switch is not "cheap plastic". Switch feels like a solid piece of hardware so just can't agree with your description.
I agree, i don't have a Switch but i tried the Switch of my nephew for a short time and it didn't feel cheap. Fragile? Maybe.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
can’t say I ever thought the build quality of Switch was poor. It feels very premium.

Those cheap Chinese handhelds on the other hand definitely feel low quality.
The plastic ones definitely do. I have an Anbernic RG351M that is exceedingly well-built, though. The Aluminum chassis feels so good that I want all of my Chinese handhelds to be metal.

Last edited:

JimboJones

OP's "Switch"
BzO1IDU.jpeg

fart town usa

Gold Member
My only issue with the Switch are the joy cons. IMO they are the worst controller ever made. I know there are pro controllers but no, I'm not buying a second controller because the default one is trash and made for baby hands.

Thus, the Switch sits and collects dust. Granted, it's my wife's but all the same, have zero desire to play it. At some point I'll get Astral Chain though, game looks dope.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Joy cons are $100 CDN and the biggest POS game controllers ever. I got my nephew an niece a Switch, games an extra joy con etc.... for Xmas years back. Stick drift after a year or two.

Years later, my bro bought the fam that grey Gamepad Pro (like a traditional gamepad). It's rock solid as was cheaper than a joy con.

But hey, good business strategy by Nintendo. Sell systems cheap, but high priced games and shitty overpriced Wii or Switch accessories.

What? For real? I am on my second third switch (Original model -> traded in for the 2nd revision for the 1 hour plus battery life - > traded in for OLED) and the oled feals and looks great. It is light and responsive.
Feels more premium than my steam deck, although I love both.

The joycon sticks are bad. I dropped them once and the sticks are so flimsy that the l3 button broke. You could still push it in but it didn't click anymore. The sticks also eventaully drift, although i had that issue with ps4 too 2x (thanks dying light hold down and push up for run button)

I really don't have an issue with the screen, except on a few games. Zelda looks fine docked. It could be because I have a 1080p tv. If you have a 4k tv, then sure it will look like ass.

Outside of 1st party nintendo , there is a ton of good indies on switch. Third party games are hit and miss, some are great , monster hunter rise, some are ass due to dynamic resolution- sonic frontiers.

Also check out some great ports of older titles. Gothic 1 classic just dropped and has been stellar. All the baldurs gate (outside of 3) games are on this. Assassins creed 2,3,4 and rogue. Borderlands 1-2/ps, Red dead redemption is also a great port, All the old doom and quake games run amazing. Ninja Gaiden collection, Portal 1 and 2, Red faction guriella, Kingdoms of amaular, Dragons Dogma, Saints row 3, Civ6, SMT 3 and 5, sniper elite v2, Kotor 1 and 2, jedi knight games, star ocean 1 and 2, skyrim, torchlight 2, valkyria chronicles 1 and 4, katamari, ys 8, ys origin, resident evil 4, dragon quest 1-3 and 11, ff 1 through 12.

Indies too much to list but there are great ones.

Wii , n64 and game cube all felt cheap. switch did not to me.

Last edited:

Rykan

Hardware wise, The Switch is terrible.

You have to be super careful placing the Switch back into the dock because there's no protection to keep the screen from scratches, and it can only be set up right. Oh, your TV takes up your entire TV stand? Too bad: Get a new piece of furniture, because the dock can't be placed horizontally. Well, it technically can, but it's not recommended.

The joy cons are terrible: The buttons are too small, the sticks are too small and there's no grip to hold onto, so using the Switch for long periods in handheld mode becomes uncomfortable. Changing from the Joy cons to any other modern controller feels like taking off your work shoes and getting into your comfortable slippers.

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Have to say I have no idea what you mean - PS5 is made with recycled crisp packet plastic and comes in a flimsy box tied up in elastic bands. The Oled is a premium device all over.

I guess heftiness or thickness? Like the controllers and dock seem very brittle and thin. One small hit and they will break.
But on the other hand I can see that Nintendo probably wanted to keep it as lite as possible.

Tams

The only 'cheap plastic' is the dock, and the cartridge slot flap (and the kickstand on the non-OLED versions, but at least that is designed to easily come off and not break). The JoyCon stick contacts are shit too, but they are neither plastic or something you feel.

You're too used to pointless shit on phones like metal and glass backs.

Go back to your shitty titanium iPhone. Just don't sit on it! 🤣

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
The switch will be my last Nintendo hardware untill they choose to comeback to the premium space since they charge exactly that PREMIUM .. its a pos hardware with ugly as fuck games (with good art direction) that survives on drooling nintendo fans that will defend this shit to the death and at the same time wet their paints with passion everytime a ludicrous rumor about top of the line hardware comes around for the Switch 2 showing all their hypocrisy.

I can live without playing their 5 to 6 exclusive new games they will launch for switch 2. But will not give them money for something outdated since the getgo.

I know your nints are going to be very angry with this.. but it is MHO so dont @me.

Chastten

Banned
Honestly, I feel the PS5 looks and feels more like a toy than the Switch ever will. As much as Sony nailed the design of the PS4, they completely fucked up with the fisherprice design of the PS5.

That being said, the Wii U actually was pretty flimsy, but I got no issues with the Switch. Other than the joycon drift, I've had no issues with the build quality or design of either the dock or the tablet.

Graphics-wise... yeah, coming from the PS5 I'd imagine going back to Switch graphics can take some adjusting :p

The HORI split pad pro was a game changer for me in portable play. Can't use the joycons for more than 10 minutes before my hands start cramping up.

hori-nintendo-switch-split-pad-pro-daemon-x-machina-edition.jpeg
If you're a handheld user then definitely pick up a hori split pad pro or any other good quality grip, it helps tons!

That said, I'm super curious of the new Nitro Deck. Reviews seem to be glowing and it comes with hall effect sensors for the sticks. I'm really tempted to get one once it gets available in my region.

Tams

The switch will be my last Nintendo hardware untill they choose to comeback to the premium space since they charge exactly that PREMIUM .. its a pos hardware with ugly as fuck games (with good art direction) that survives on drooling nintendo fans that will defend this shit to the death and at the same time wet their paints with passion everytime a ludicrous rumor about top of the line hardware comes around for the Switch 2 showing all their hypocrisy.

I can live without playing their 5 to 6 exclusive new games they will launch for switch 2. But will not give them money for something outdated since the getgo.

I know your nints are going to be very angry with this.. but it is MHO so dont @me.

Bruh, it's cheaper than all of those 'premium' consoles.

And Nintendo are the only ones reliably developing premium games.

Enjoy your @.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
One of my biggest issues with Switch is how uncomfortable it is to hold.

I’d bitch about joycon drift but they use the same sticks as Sony and Microsoft. They all suck.

Fbh

I don't know my Switch (og black one) doesn't feel that bad and has held up well during these 6 years.
But yeah never expect premium materials or build quality from Nintendo, they have long been very profit focused with their hardware. It's insane that joycons are still $80. The pro controller still costs $70 and it's one of the worst controllers I've owned, it costs the same as a dualsense and is way worse in almost every way (except battery life).

I've a Switch lite and the only thing that feels bad are those tiny ass joycons. No amount of playing let's me get used to those things. Everything else is fine.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
IDK, I feel same about PS5 controller I bought. Instant drift plus many other long time problems. Switch OLED is just excellent (my particular).

blacktout

On a more serious note, mine feels fine. My only issue is the ticking time bomb called drift-cons.

Yeah, I've had my Switch since June 2017 and the only build-quality problem I've had with it is joycon drift. Everything else has held up well to hundreds and hundreds of hours of use, both docked and undocked.

That said, stick drift is a fucking nightmare. I have two pairs of joycons and have sent both back for repair. It's a must-fix issue for the next Nintendo system.

Top Bottom