• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2024 is the 35th anniversary of the best movie summer ever: The summer of Batman

ManaByte

Gold Member
d62zjbo-f04b9396-2f1f-4598-b5b2-e3fd4dfa64ec.jpg

Tim Burton's Batman turns 35 in 2024.

There have been huge summer blockbusters since, and massive marketing campaigns (like The Phantom Menace ten years later), but nothing comes close to how Batman took over everything for the first half of 1989. The bat symbol was EVERYWHERE you looked. On buildings, clothes, people's heads. You couldn't look outside without seeing it.
F-SjUNcXsAAk4T-.jpg

It all started after they released a teaser trailer 35 years ago this month to calm people down over the casting of Michael Keaton. This teaser kicked off Batman hype that lasted for half of 1989:

Prince's Batman album stayed #1 for six weeks. Batdance was his first #1 hit since Kiss.

Pretty good documentary from the 30th anniversary BD release:

Lunarorbit

Oh shit I'll have to watch that documentary later.

I can't believe I was only 7 when it came out... I remember it well into the 90s. It seems like movies had longer marketing tails back then. Got a batman sticker book (at the same time they sold Desert Storm sticker books!) and bought packs for years after the movie came out.

Nes batman is a great game too! Usually movie tie in games sucked balls (LGN) but it was dark and you got good gadgets.

I wonder who's had a better cast in all their media batman or Spiderman

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I was a 7yo with a passion for Disney comics, and I didn’t give a rat’s ass for Bats. The character was virtually unknown to me. I didn’t give the movie’s ads a second look, and I briefly saw some sticker from the movie’s sticker album going around at school. That was it. I vaguely remember my parents renting the VHS, probably around late 1990 or even later, and for years the only scene I remembered from the movie was the Joker’s poison balloon.

It wasn’t until 2008 that I finally watched the whole movie and… nah, it’s weird. Returns is much better in hindsight.

Also… it was ten years between Batman and The Phantom Menace. Jesus, it felt like a lifetime. The time between The Phantom Menace and today, in comparison, feels like a blink.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Such an overrated movie. Didn't like both of Burton's Batman movies. Too goofy. Jack Nicholson was completely unbelievable as the Joker and the Prince soundtrack was an abomination. It was also weird to have a Batman movie that was stylistically more in tune with the Batman TV series from the 1960ies than the Batman from mid 1990ies comics. Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns" had come out a year earlier and changed the perception of Batman forever. And then you had Burton's Batman that felt like it had been made by someone who never read the comics and whose only reference point was Adam West's portrayal.

The only good thing to come out of those two movies was this song by Siouxsie and the Banshees which I still love.

Last edited:

Doom85

And then you had Burton's Batman that felt like it had been made by someone who never read the comics

Burton either never read any of the comics or barely any IIRC. It’s why the movie had terrible decisions such as making Joker the Wayne’s’ killer (way to make Batman a generic “main villain kills hero’s parents” cliche) or the fact the movie gives an unambiguous origin story to the Joker in the first place (even the 2019 film implies at the end the story might be untrue, and even if it is true, some things are still left ambiguous such as who his father truly was, if his laughing condition is real or not, did he kill his neighbor or not, etc.).

Also, while I do like Nicholson’s performance, the makeup job fails at preventing me from just seeing Nicholson, whereas Ledger and Phoenix become visually unidentifiable in the makeup allowing them to truly feel like Joker.

Keaton and some of the other cast are great, the (original) music is great, the costume is great if flawed, but that’s about it. It’s a great film by itself, but not a great Batman film in my book. The Nolan films and the 2022 film (and 2019 Joker) are superior Batman films IMHO.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

I was 15 and was ALL IN on the hype. Saw it like 3 times in the theater, bought posters and merch, it just felt so fresh and cool back then. Last I saw it was like 7 yrs ago and it is still a fun as hell movie.

In '89 I was in the fourth/fifth grade and while I did not see the movie until it's home VHS release it was everywhere and EVERYONE was rocking a Batman symbol. Either bought or making their own. We had some competitions in class on who could draw it the best. Those parts at the bottom/tail always gave me fits! :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Funniest thing though was a year or so later while in junior high we got to watch this movie after finals/before break and where trying to play down any intimate/suggestive scenes out loud to the teacher like "No, no Mr Soly he was just protecting her by laying over her" and hearing a "Yeah, uh huh" from the back in response.

Soodanim

Gold Member
In 89 I was 1. Didn't stop me having a purple Batman lunchbox when I was old enough to go to school, though.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I was alive in 1989, however I think it's common knowledge that 1993 was the best movie summer ever due to a little film called Jurassic Park.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
The first two Tim Burton movies are the best Batman movies.

Only if you’re not really that much of a Batman fan. They’re great Tim Burton films, but pretty poor Batman movies.

Though at the time, Batman did a great job of changing how the general public regarded the character.

Nolan’s first two movies surpass Burton’s in every single measure when it comes to a depiction of Batman. Arguably, so does Reeves’s film.

Batman, Indy 3 and lethal weapon 2. All in the space of about a month over here that summer. Plus countless other releases (uhf, etc …)

Truly summer 1989 was a great time for the movies 😎

Love that movie, but I remember getting really sick of it because I ended up up seeing it like 12 times in the theater. Nearly every one of my friends celebrated their birthday by going to see it. I was 8. Still though, great movie, 2nd one was even better imo. Best casting, Tim Burton nailed it. Never really enjoyed any Batman that came after, including the more modern ones.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I was alive in 1989, however I think it's common knowledge that 1993 was the best movie summer ever due to a little film called Jurassic Park.
Jurassic Park didn't completely take over pop culture the way Batman did in 89 though. That's the whole point. Batman was the start of the modern blockbuster with how they were marketed and saturated the public prior to release. Nothing really has come close to it with the exception maybe The Phantom Menace in 1999. But as time has gone on and every movie is a "tentpole", you'll never see what happened with Batman in 89 again. It was really a once in a lifetime experience.

I wasn't born when this movie came out, but that 89 Batman logo is definitely my favorite version. I don't know what it is, but something about the wide reflective, almost gold background, really makes it stand out more and feel more iconic compared to his other logos over the years. I guess maybe it feels more like a logo you could see on the front or back of a car compared to the others ones which either feel cheesy, cartoony, too comic-y, or too edgy.

49cadde2b2d3af824d91d800c6e4405b.jpg

Last edited:
Had to wait for it on VHS but blew my little mind. That was a hell of a summer for movies..
Batman, Last Crusade, Honey I shrunk the kids, The Abyss, Road House!!

IDKFA

Jurassic Park didn't completely take over pop culture the way Batman did in 89 though. That's the whole point. Batman was the start of the modern blockbuster with how they were marketed and saturated the public prior to release. Nothing really has come close to it with the exception maybe The Phantom Menace in 1999. But as time has gone on and every movie is a "tentpole", you'll never see what happened with Batman in 89 again. It was really a once in a lifetime experience.

It absolutely did. Whether it did it more or less than Batman 89 is open for debate, but the world was Dinosaur mad in 1993.

Everything was Jurassic park related. Trading cards (these were so popular that a recent 30th anniversary book for the trading cards was released), the collectable McDonald's mugs, comics, tie in games and of course the toys, which I remember being on every kids wishlist that Christmas. Everything Batman 89 did, Jurassic park did the same and then more.

Going to watch it at the cinema was an event. Every kid was talking about it. I even remember the Cinema doors were decked out to look like the Jurassic park gates.

I'm not even sure what Batman 89 did was so unique either. This is before my time, but surly Star Wars started the summer blockbuster trend? I don't the original had the same marketing buzz, but Empire and Jedi must have really pushed the boat out in terms of marketing?

Soltype

Such an overrated movie. Didn't like both of Burton's Batman movies. Too goofy. Jack Nicholson was completely unbelievable as the Joker and the Prince soundtrack was an abomination. It was also weird to have a Batman movie that was stylistically more in tune with the Batman TV series from the 1960ies than the Batman from mid 1990ies comics. Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns" had come out a year earlier and changed the perception of Batman forever. And then you had Burton's Batman that felt like it had been made by someone who never read the comics and whose only reference point was Adam West's portrayal.

The only good thing to come out of those two movies was this song by Siouxsie and the Banshees which I still love.

I'll give the movies not feeling like the comics at the time, but they never felt like the 60s show. The best feature about the Burton films is how grounded the characters felt despite the over the top nature of everything. Joker in '89 felt like a crazy person, joker in dark knight felt like a crazy character. I don't know if it's casting, writing or direction, but everyone felt believable in their alter egos. Closest thing to the 60s show is Batman and Robin.

It absolutely did. Whether it did it more or less than Batman 89 is open for debate, but the world was Dinosaur mad in 1993.

Everything was Jurassic park related. Trading cards (these were so popular that a recent 30th anniversary book for the trading cards was released), the collectable McDonald's mugs, comics, tie in games and of course the toys, which I remember being on every kids wishlist that Christmas. Everything Batman 89 did, Jurassic park did the same and then more.

Going to watch it at the cinema was an event. Every kid was talking about it. I even remember the Cinema doors were decked out to look like the Jurassic park gates.

I'm not even sure what Batman 89 did was so unique either. This is before my time, but surly Star Wars started the summer blockbuster trend? I don't the original had the same marketing buzz, but Empire and Jedi must have really pushed the boat out in terms of marketing?

Yeah it was crazy, you had to look for the JP symbol for official merch, then the gift shop scene in the movie made if feel almost real.
JURASSK_PARK_DISC1-446.jpg

The only movie that beats it is Phantom Menace, I still have Amidala bar soap from that movie.

Last edited:

nush

I'm not even sure what Batman 89 did was so unique either.

It created a hype train before the movies release, whereas previously advertising got people in the theater and word of mouth made the movie a hit.

IDKFA

It created a hype train before the movies release, whereas previously advertising got people in the theater and word of mouth made the movie a hit.

Didn't Empire and Jedi do that as well in 80 and 83?

IDKFA

Sequels, built in audience.

Batman wasn't a new IP. Batman was already hugely popular. It sold itself.

Jurassic Park on the other hand was an adaptation of a sci-fi book, one that many people hadn't heard of until Steven Spielberg decided to turn into the biggest film of the 90s.

Jurassic Park wins.

I rest my case.

BlackTron

I honestly have still never seen this. I just caught some scenes and images on the TV when my dad watched it on tape when I was maybe 5.

Maybe I will watch it today. Don't worry, I'm walking in expecting an 80s movie

nush

Batman wasn't a new IP. Batman was already hugely popular. It sold itself.

Jurassic Park on the other hand was an adaptation of a sci-fi book, one that many people hadn't heard of until Steven Spielberg decided to turn into the biggest film of the 90s.

Jurassic Park wins.

I rest my case.
I'm not even sure what Batman 89 did was so unique either. This is before my time,

You weren't there. I answered your question based on that.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I did want to go see this in the theater and I remember it was on VHS at a record rate. It is a fun movie though.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Love this one and Returns. I kinda can't stand Batman as a character but these movies are great. Much more watchable than the overly serious Nolan films.

tygertrip

d62zjbo-f04b9396-2f1f-4598-b5b2-e3fd4dfa64ec.jpg

Tim Burton's Batman turns 35 in 2024.

There have been huge summer blockbusters since, and massive marketing campaigns (like The Phantom Menace ten years later), but nothing comes close to how Batman took over everything for the first half of 1989. The bat symbol was EVERYWHERE you looked. On buildings, clothes, people's heads. You couldn't look outside without seeing it.
F-SjUNcXsAAk4T-.jpg

It all started after they released a teaser trailer 35 years ago this month to calm people down over the casting of Michael Keaton. This teaser kicked off Batman hype that lasted for half of 1989:

Prince's Batman album stayed #1 for six weeks. Batdance was his first #1 hit since Kiss.

Pretty good documentary from the 30th anniversary BD release:

I remember at Disney World that summer it was just a vast sea of people in Batman shirts. Every day. In every park. It was EVERYWHERE. Young millennials and the zoomers will never see anything like it.

Top Bottom