• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

25 Years of PlayStation - PS Vita

Vawn

Banned
Oh, the misunderstood PlayStation Vita PlayStation Vita . What an amazing device, that sadly never reached its full heights.

What was made to be the most powerful handheld console available at the time, turned into a mostly portable indie and backwards compatibility device. Until the Switch, the Vita was the best place for many AA and indie games, as well as the perfect place to play PS1 and PSP games.

Remote Play also turned our PS4s into locally portable devices, which I still use to this day.

But, the Vita also had a good amount of great exclusives in its library.

Assassin's Creed Liberation
8018815653_abd038a389_b.jpg

Danganronpa
ss_3111fac0ca3749fd394ac7b4a6b1fd2fbeb1f0a3.600x338-800x500.jpg

Danganronpa 2
BCC23FEFFF5D8D7E0E1AF721F56E24FDF917C88F

Dragon's Crown
dragonscrownpro_ps4_01.jpg

Freedom Wars
dims

Gravity Rush
psv-gravity-ss6

Killzone Mercenary
kzm_screenshots_01292013_02.0.jpg

LittleBigPlanet PS Vita
large.jpg

Lumines: Electronic Symphony
Lumines-screen-petit-02-1.jpg

MLB The Show
71HxdpV1o%2BL.jpg

ModNation Racers Roadtrip
modnation-racers-road-trip.jpg

Muramasa Rebirth
muramasarebirth4.jpg

Persona 4 Golden
8489614765_d85f8d9d0b.jpg

Ragnarok Odyssey / Ragnarok Odyssey Ace
ROA-New-Elements.jpg

Resistance: Burning Skies
dims

Ridge Racer (2011)
psv-ridge-racer-ss7

Severed
severed-art_2578.0.0.jpg

Soul Sacrifice, Soul Sacrifice Delta
2038259-668738_20130502_010.jpg

Super Stardust Delta
psv-super-stardust-ss10

Tearaway
psvita-game-6467-ss21

Uncharted: Golden Abyss
uncharted-psvita-screenshot6.jpg

Unit 13
unit13_review.jpg

Wipeout 2048
psv-wipeout-2048-ss12

Speak up fellow PS Vita fans. We might be small, but we are proud.

PlayStation 3 PlayStation 3

PlayStation 4 PlayStation 4

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
I actually bought it after the panic set in, because Shahid Kamahl was tweeting about all the insane indie games he was bringing over to the system. The system was amazing and at times the optimal system for those games, especially when you had auto sync for titles like Velocity 2X and Rogie Legacy. But some of the AAA-lite games they featured also turned out really well. I honestly enjoyed the Vita entries of my favorite PlayStation franchises like Uncharted, LBP, and Killzone more than I did the console entries that were releasing around the same time.

I don't know if I put it above the PSP because I just really love the form factor of the Go, but the software selection is unbeatable, especially with how many PSOne Classics have been on the PlayStation Network.

sensor

I picked up the original OLED model on a whim in late 2012 with an import of Persona 4 Golden (as it hadn't launched in the UK yet), and I never looked back.

Thousands of gaming hours later, I still adore my Vita and I've not had any issues with it at all. I will never stop being an evangelist for the wonderful but misunderstood handheld that could. In addition to the games that OP mentioned, thanks to trying Steins;Gate a few years after picking the system up, I was hooked on the visual novel genre and the Vita became a rather lovely home for them. I love the system so much that I'm looking to buy a few more of them soon, particularly the P4D and neon orange versions.

Last edited:
Bought my Vita at launch so i could play Broken Sword 5. It only released on Vita and Steam.

Played all of the PSN+ free games that came with it and used it as my diablo 3 machine when I was levelling up characters; I could play it in bed while the GF read. Remote play was and is an amazing idea. The arguments that would have saved when I was a kid :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

After it died it collected dust for about 2 years. Then I found out about Henkaku and Ever drive and now I have every game, from every console and handheld for every gen, up to and including the PSx and N64.

Playing Zelda on a Sony handheld is funny, playing shining force Is cool and dropping a quick C&C:Red Alert match while waiting for dinner to cook is pure bliss :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Fushitsusha

Banned
Bought at release and has been used sporadically over the years, not as much as I would have liked. Then bought a slim but the triggers being bad at reacting made me play it even less, as it's like playing with a broken controller.

Anyone else having issues with the slim's triggers?

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Bought Vita for many reasons 2 months ago for first time... i never have the chance to buy it early.

Thank you Playstation Vita for Bring Gravity rush and let me know the game of my life.

gravity-rush-1.jpg

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I used to make fun of it then bought it on a Christmas sale package on Christmas 2014 for myself... Bruh. I skipped out on a shit ton of 3DS games in the future in exchange for me dedicating the next 5 years to the Vita full time. Do not regret it. Amazing handheld that people misunderstood.

The vita had a god tier dpad. It needed ports of sf4 and tekken 6. The dpad wasnt ass and you could actually do console combos on it.

cireza

By far the best handheld device out there. Have owned one since 2013, and still use it regularly. I was playing some Blazblue this week, I read House in Fata Morgana this year. Sadly, it is one the last release for the console. I hope I can envoy Catherine Full Body in English one of these days...

I simply wished more games had come to the console overall. Otherwise there is nothing to change about it, the size, buttons, OLED screen etc... everything is pretty much perfect.

The Switch, as a handheld, does not make for a good replacement as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:

H4ze

One of the greates handhelds ever made, will never get rid of mine, even if it should brake

Naibel

Fantastic and underrated machine ! It's like the Saturn of handhelds, it got western AAA releases at first but when Sony knew the console would tank miserably, it became the ultimate weeb machine, full of niche stuff.

Bought it second-hand in 2017 because of P4G (I just finished P5 at the time and was hooked on the franchise) and for a while, was a great "Persona machine". P2, P3P, P4D: I spent countless hours on this thing.

I thought I would put it away once that phase was over, but I became enamored with this cute little console and bought many many games for it : Uncharted, AC3 Liberation, Gravity Rush, Tearaway, Virtua Tennis 4, Wipeout 2048, YS VIII, Killzone, FFX, Danganronpa V3, many PSX games like Castlevania SOTN or Silent Hill...

Hell, I love that system so much that I bought both revisions, the latter one being very light and using a standard micro USB cable for charging, far more reliable than the original cable.

With the Switch Lite I suppose, the PSVita is my favorite handheld hands down. And I have yet to discover everything on it !

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I really enjoyed mine. Not even just as a Vita, but I originally bought it to make playing PSP games like Monster Hunter more comfortable with the 2nd joystick.

I'm still pissed that they put a $0.38 wifi chip in it, though. They sold this dream of remote play knowing that the Vita had the most bottlenecked wifi adapter of all time.

Top Bottom