• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$250,000 SFV Invitational to air on TBS

jbug617

Banned
Turner and IMG’s ELeague has announced it is branching into fighting games with the ELeague Street Fighter V Invitational. The event will debut with 32 of the world’s best SFV players, who will compete at the G Fuel ELeague Arena in Atlanta for a share of the $250,000 prize pool.

The event’s season will start on March 27 and run until the playoffs, which begin May 26. The 32 competitors will include 16 of the top competitors from the 2016 Capcom Pro Tour, and an additional 16 players will receive invitations from Capcom.

Preliminary rounds will bring the group of 32 players down to 24. From there, live competitions will be held April 7, April 21, May 5, and May 12 with live coverage available on TBS and Twitch at 10:00 PM. Each week will feature six players facing off in the competition, and the grand final will run the weekend of May 27.
https://esports.yahoo.com/250000-pr...ational-to-be-broadcast-on-tbs-170041615.html

BadWolf

The 32 competitors will include 16 of the top competitors from the 2016 Capcom Pro Tour, and an additional 16 players will receive invitations from Capcom.

They must really want Daigo there.

GodofWine

Fighting games work so much better on TV than LoL/Dota, especially if looking for a more casual viewer, so this is a goods idea.

FPS/RTS/MOBA are just not good to watch other's play.

Rocket League needs some TV time, its a e-sport, that looks like an actual sport, and I think people would actually enjoy watching it.

Neoxon

Hopefully Mika gets to wear her default outfit.
This please.
Going off of the ESPN airings of SFV, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Speaking of, unless Capcom intends on nerfing Laura to the ground in the Season 2.5 balance patch, they may want to consider giving Laura a more conservative alternate costume that'll keep the likes of ESPN & TBS happy.

JayEH

Going off of the ESPN airings of SFV, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Speaking of, unless Capcom intends on nerfing Laura to the ground in the Season 2.5 balance patch, they may want to consider giving Laura a more conservative alternate costume that'll keep the likes of ESPN & TBS happy.

Her default is fine. TV just hates ass apparently but tits are ok.

FinKL

We made it boys!

Street Fighter consistently on TV!

I just need them to do what they do with Olympic Athletes, get a back story/background going for everyone. Maybe talk about life/location. Just make us care for certain players/characters!

It will be hella boring to the casuals if all we saw are matches, matches, and more matches.

Makki

Hopefully Mika gets to wear her default outfit.

Capcom to release ESPORTS outfit DLC with jumpsuits for all the female cast. These skin tight garnments covering everything but the hands and feet (no definition of body features allowed!!!) will feature sponsor/advertisement logos and look super professional!!! Find codes for this new DLC pack in Doritos COOL RANCH packs.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
isn't combo breaker a cpt event this year? who thought it was a good idea to set all this up?

It's near the end of Feb and they still haven't announced details about CPT this year. What level of coordination and planning and competence have you been expecting so far? :D

It's near the end of Feb and they still haven't announced details about CPT this year. What level of coordination and planning and competence have you been expecting so far? :D

I think some of you guys underestimate how difficult this stuff really is.

Planning an international, year long tournament series isn't light work. You have to work with all sorts of moving parts, across all sorts of language/cultural barriers...you have to make sure you have stream crews, Capcom officials, crew, equipment, etc. all squared away months in advance. There's a reason no other fighting game company does anything with the sheer scope of CPT.

We take it for granted, but the fact that they've done this 3 years straight without any major problems is straight up miraculous. I'd say their "coordination and competence" has been great.

Plus, they've already stated that Monday is when all the details for CPT will be revealed.

Aesthet1c

We made it boys!

Street Fighter consistently on TV!

I just need them to do what they do with Olympic Athletes, get a back story/background going for everyone. Maybe talk about life/location. Just make us care for certain players/characters!

It will be hella boring to the casuals if all we saw are matches, matches, and more matches.

I'm hoping that since it's a weekly show where 6 of the competitors compete, that we will get backstory and interviews for everyone. Guess we'll see. Pretty stoked though!

Gren

Cool. Cable TV is mandatory where I live, so I'll at least use it watch these in better visual fidelity than the streams.

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
On May 27th there is:

E-League Finals
Combo Breaker
Red Bull Kumite

so people will miss out at points for combo breaker, but $$$ for tbs, and red bull is also $$ but no points. a bit weird piece of timing, huh? Do we think all top 16 will agree to it?

Hope capcom invites li joe

Sheroking

Rick might be cool with it, but I'm salty. Combo Breaker is one of the best and most fun tournaments of the year and not having the very best is kinda of a bummer.

I know that others may be upset but I'm going to see all these events on the same weekend as a positive. Having more events with more money is great. The very best will be in Atlanta because they're going after a 6 figure pay check. But you still have 5 figure paychecks to win in France or Illinois for those who are really good but have never stood among the very best.

I really like Rick's attitude and I hope more people feel the same way as time goes on. We'll have plenty of other weekends where we can all focus on one event where everybody will be at. But for this particular weekend I love how everybody has to make hard decisions on where to go. Believe in yourself that you're really the best or go to even where you think it would be the easiest to win a big pay check?

I'm also moving to a town near Atlanta next week. I might try to make the trip there for the finals. I'm glad I'll be living near a city where cool stuff actually happens.

"Rick might be cool with it, but I'm salty. Combo Breaker is one of the best and most fun tournaments of the year and not having the very best is kinda of a bummer."

TBH, my favorite part of Combo Breaker isn't even the main games. Mystery Game and Auction tournaments are the best.

Game launched in 2016 and they can't even mention what they have planned in the works or a more specific ETA. What a joke

NRS took a year to improve their MKX netcode, and they did it after being completely silent for months.

It took them a year and a half to fix the PC version, and they did it after being completely silent about it for a year.

There were no "specific ETAs" until the update was almost ready.

"What a joke."

How quickly you all forget.

Top Bottom