• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$26 video-card that supports HD.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121526

^^^

That says the video card supports a max resolution of 2048x1536. That's beyond HD, right? So what's all this bullshit from Perrin Kaplan about HD being too pricey to implement into Revolution? That video-card is only $26 bucks! A $26 video card is more powerful than Nintendo's new console??!!

Ruzbeh

Banned
Gahiggidy said:
So what's all this bullshit from Perrin Kaplan about HD being too pricey to implement into Revolution?
Perrin Kaplan never said it was too expensive to implement.

jedimike

It's not the video card in Revolution that can't do HDTV. I'm sure ATI made a really good chipset for Nintendo. It's just that they would have to add an extra port on the console... that's like an extra 25 cents per console. If they sell a million of them buggers, then the Big N is out 250 grand.

Remember, Nintendo needs to maintain 20% profitability. AMIRITE It's all about the money... screw the consumer, they'll always buy Mario.

Ruzbeh

Banned
jedimike said:
If they sell a million of them buggers, then the Big N is out 250 grand.
Uuuh.. Since when is 250,000 dollars a lot of money for big shot companies like Nintendo? Or Sony or Microsoft for that matter.

Firest0rm

Ruzbeh said:
Uuuh.. Since when is 250,000 dollars a lot of money for big shot companies like Nintendo? Or Sony or Microsoft for that matter.

Since Nintendo took out the digital component this gen, it shows that their willing to do it for a little bit of money.

Gahiggidy said:

^^^

That says the video card supports a max resolution of 2048x1536. That's beyond HD, right? So what's all this bullshit from Perrin Kaplan about HD being too pricey to implement into Revolution? That video-card is only $26 bucks! A $26 video card is more powerful than Nintendo's new console??!!
i dont think that video card could run snes starfox at 30fps at HD res, much less a current or next gen game...

Gahiggidy said:

^^^

That card uses Radeon 7000 chipset. It manages whopping 12fps on Unreal 2 @ 1024x768. Whether it manage 2048x1536 2D output is irrelevant to Revolution games supporting HD resolutions, ya? Ya.

Also, GC probably supports 1920x1080 output for 2D, like the other current gen consoles (although never confirmed).

gohepcat

Banned
Hahaha.
I'm sorry but I think you don't quite understand what "supporting 2048x1536" means.

I've got a Gforce 4 that supports that high of a resolution but you can't actually play any games like that.

It means that it can support a 2D desktop at 2048x1536, and even that would probably be sluggish when you drag a window around.

Top Bottom