• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

28-minute long Assassin's Creed: Origins alpha gameplay

The combat looks horrible, but that partly might be the guy playing.

All seems to be mostly business as usual but with an Egyptian skin.

This is what I'd feared. The setting looks beautiful and I do love how diverse Ubi often try to be with their locations and characters, but I've got no desire at all to play another AC game unless many things have changed significantly. I've played 4 games in the series to completion and I feel like that's enough for quite a few years.

Edit - will wait fir more news & gameplay over the coming week anyway. Not sold on the idea of XP and levelling in an AC game but we'll see.

I was intrigued by the original trailer. I haven't played an AC since Black Flag so I'd possibly get this... World looks cool and the E3 trailer didn't show the same typical Ubi open world crap from previous games.

They specifically gave this game an RPG focus right down to straight up name dropping the sphere grid from FFX as the inspiration for the skill tree in this game. Stats are much more important than ever, like not being able to instant kill if your hidden blade stat isn't strong enough.

Name drop or not, you are blind if you think that Skill Tree is in any way reminiscent of FFX's sphere grid...

The only thing that even connects it to FFX's sphere grid is the interconnectivity between tiers. It is otherwise the same system.

Stiler

World looks amazing, Combat is really something, would take Witcher rolls over AC monotomy

Rolling makes zero since over the quick side-stepping that they have in AC.

If you actually tried to roll not only will it take you longer then simply stepping back, it will disorient you and leave your back exposed for an attack with no way to block it or make a correction to dodge it.

Rolling makes zero since over the quick side-stepping that they have in AC.

If you actually tried to roll not only will it take you longer then simply stepping back, it will disorient you and leave your back exposed for an attack with no way to block it or make a correction to dodge it.
that pivot is not sidestepping, it's anchored to the focused opponent not to your position and covers so much distance it might as well be a jump.

They are clearly going for a more skill intensive combat over the press a for awesome in prior entries but it comes at the cost of the over the top realism it had before.

Älg

This player is terrible lol.

Gifs:

How is it that Ubisoft, out of all developers, still haven't figured out a way to not have weapons clip terribly through bodies during combat? They have excellent animations throughout, but this one small thing has been an issue since day one.

Same Ass Creed with a new texture pack. Yawn

These were my exact thoughts. I've always found it so odd that entries in a series can vary so wildly in quality. Assassin's Creed needs to go back to the drawing board and revamp the series. Even my sister said it looked like the previous entries and the last one she played was Unity lol.
Under the hood are alot of changes. Combat is different, control scheme and the game leans way more towards a real rpg now.

I saw a couple of new gameplay elements and the leveling system, but it still looks and plays the same from what I've seen.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Videos all down now, but having just finished AC Syndicate and its DLC, I was really hoping for more of a shakeup than how it looked at the MS conference.

Intrigued by setting and scenario, but the game looked tired and rundown.

These were my exact thoughts. I've always found it so odd that entries in a series can vary so wildly in quality. Assassin's Creed needs to go back to the drawing board and revamp the series. Even my sister said it looked like the previous entries and the last one she played was Unity lol.

Isn't that what they did though?

http://www.gamesradar.com/ive-playe...re-8-reasons-youll-be-going-to-ancient-egypt/

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/873973196919250945

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Name drop or not, you are blind if you think that Skill Tree is in any way reminiscent of FFX's sphere grid...

The only thing that even connects it to FFX's sphere grid is the interconnectivity between tiers. It is otherwise the same system.
Again like I said they called it an inspiration, in the same way that the Witcher 3 inspired many of the gameplay and RPG mechanics. Inspiration doesn't mean "exact copy."

Stiler

that pivot is not sidestepping, it's anchored to the focused opponent not to your position and covers so much distance it might as well be a jump.

They are clearly going for a more skill intensive combat over the press a for awesome in prior entries but it comes at the cost of the over the top realism it had before.

It might cover a bit much distance (more like a lunge) but it's still better then your usual dark-souls style rolls that are really ridiculous in any combat setting.

Why they gotta have a drone in Far Cry Primal, Watch Dogs 2, Ghost Recon: Wildlands and now this? We are gonna get to a point where people start complaining about Ubisoft games being the same just like when towers were in everything. Stop copy pasting Ubisoft, it doesn't even make any sense to use a bird as a drone.

And I don't like having to level up the hidden blade to assassinate people. That straight up gates a lot of the content away and makes this open-world not feel so open. I want to have the tension of sneaking around and taking out enemies that could destroy me if they discovered me.

Top Bottom