• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2K Australia Closes

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2015/04/2k-australia-in-canberra-closes-its-doors/
It was confirmed the entire studio is closing, and all staff members will lose their jobs. “All hands are gone,” said our source.

Seems the cost of making games in Australia is to blame. They recently did a majority of the work on Borderlands The Pre-Sequel and did a lot of work with Bioshock 1/2/Infinite, and XCOM The Bureau

:(

Edit: 2K's statement to Kotaku

We can confirm we have taken steps to begin the studio closure process for 2K Australia in order to better manage ongoing development costs while improving the working proximity of our creative teams. We are very grateful for the team’s valuable contributions to numerous 2K projects, and are working with affected staff to explore reassignment opportunities where possible.

Mr. Tibbs

Damn, that's sad to hear. I remember reading a fantastic profile in PCPP way back when they were developing Freedom Force as part of Irrational. No more AAA developers in Aus.

dugdug

Banned
Shit, best of luck to those people losing their jobs.

Pre-Sequel wasn't all that bad. Definitely some decent talent there.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
How many prominent game studios are there in Australia? Never heard much about game studios there.

Guri

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2015/04/2k-australia-in-canberra-closes-its-doors/

Seems the cost of making games in Australia is to blame. They recently did a majority of the work on Borderlands The Pre-Sequel and did a lot of work with Bioshock 2/Infinite.

:(

BioShock 1 and XCOM: The Bureau too.

How many prominent game studios are there in Australia? Never heard much about game studios there.

If I'm not mistaken, it was the last AAA studio.

Expected. I started playing the Pre-sequel recently and was wondering if/ when they were going to close down.

Sucks that the industry is nearly non-existent here or I would have pursued it as a career years ago. :(

Axiom

That really sucks.

It just isn't getting any better for local devs, and I hope the independent devs we have left find success or see continued success.

Looks like 2K has confirmed it now, per Kotaku,

"We can confirm we have taken steps to begin the studio closure process for 2K Australia in order to better manage ongoing development costs while improving the working proximity of our creative teams. We are very grateful for the team’s valuable contributions to numerous 2K projects, and are working with affected staff to explore reassignment opportunities where possible."

Really sad to hear. I bought Pre-Sequel specifically to support my fellow Aussies.

On a more selfish note however, I am so glad I didn't follow my initial plan on going to game design school all those years ago.

Major bummer. I've been playing the pre-sequel recently on ps4 and that game is fantastic and sooooo Australian. Probably the most Aussie game ever made.

SerTapTap

Damn this sucks. I liked Pre Sequel a lot. IT's no Borderlands 3 but it was well worth the excuse to play more borderlands. Seems like game dev is rough as hell down there.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Didnt care for the pre-sequel or writing too much characters were great though, but it is never a good thing to see a whole studio close down and wish all of those effected good luck with finding new positions in the industry.

Rlan

Halfbrick's here, but even we're still small compared to when Krome and Pandemic were stupid big.

Krome is still around doing stuff, but very small projects.
The Fire Monkeys are probably bigger than any other studio? They're down in Melbourne, making Real Racing and Sims on mobile.
Gameloft recently made a studio in Brisbane and are expanding quite quickly.
Defiant Developments just released Hand of Fate
Witch Beam are working hard on finishing Assault Android Cactus.
Even though it's two or three people, Crossy Road was made by Hipster Whale.
Lots of other little indies around that have sprouted out of other studios, like Featherweight Studios, Protostar, etc etc.

This really sucks, especially since I assumed they had got through the hard times of the high Australian dollar.

Now our dollar is back in the toilet compared to the US and they get shut down? What a kick to the gut. 2K mustn't have had anything lined up for them after Pre-Sequel.

RIP 2K AU :(

Hopefully some of the original XCOM shooter work leaks out. Sounds like they had a pretty interesting spin on it before the shift to what became The Bureau.

Kritz

Banned
Still indies and smaller studios doing things like iOS ofc.

Pretty much. I think Crossy Road was Australian. Then you have Witch Beam (Assault Andriod Cactus), Halfbrick (Fruit Ninja, Jetpack Joyride), I'm going to pretend that Frogshark are Australian despite being from NZ (Swordy)... uh. The Crawl guys.

In terms of big boy personality indies, Ben Foddy (QWOP / Super Poleriders) has something to do with Australia, be it he was born here or he occasionally lives here. Then there's... Alexander Bruce (Antichamber) who's probably the biggest name we have.

Do we still have that Sega studio in QLD? They put out one of the London 2012 olympics games but I'm not sure what they've done since.

That cricket game from two years ago that won Giantbomb.com's Best Apology award was from a melbourne based studio. I remember those guys had job postings for unity multiplayer programmers three months before that game "shipped" before being the first game I've ever seen be cancelled after it had come out.

Tasmania has Secret Lab, of course, but those guys seem to stick to their government edutainment games. They're working on some weird gnome murdering thing at the moment? Or they're just going to write more Cocos2d books. Who knows!

I think there's a good 30 or so small indie studios in Melbourne alone, all doing their own thing. So there's certainly a scene still going, but it's a scene we're going to have to maintain ourselves. There's enough fresh faces being pumped out of schools with degrees specifically in making games, and I think the reality is that either you make a name for yourself, or you get a regular ass job like normal programmers and make webpages for a living.

Halfbrick's here, but even we're still small compared to when Krome and Pandemic were stupid big.

my impression is that you guys are still expanding, though. Every few months I see a programmer / designer / manager role pop up from halfbrick. So it's nice to know iOS is working out for some teams. :p

Jintor

There dies the last dream of Aussie mid-tier or larger studios. I think the smaller app scene is relatively thriving judging by the IDGA stuff I keep seeing, but damn, end of an era.

@MUWANdo

Banned
This really sucks, especially since I assumed they had got through the hard times of the high Australian dollar.

Now our dollar is back in the toilet compared to the US and they get shut down?

Honestly, it just doesn't make sense for big international publishers to decentralise to countries like AU when most of the local talent is ready and willing to move overseas in order to work on big, prestigious projects.

Bye, 2K Australia.

The most surprising this is they lasted as long as they have. I mean, they were the only people still doing major console games in Australia, even when the aussie dollar was worth US$1.05. Now it's back to US75cents, 2k shuts them down. Is Take Two about to announce shitty results soon?

Best of luck for those affected. It's not like Canberra's a huge tech hub (It's basically government workers) so many will be moving away. I know a few who went there after other studios in other cities closed down.

I'm guessing EA's mobile operation in Melbourne is the last developer owned by a major publisher operating in the country.

Bye, 2K Australia.

The most surprising this is they lasted as long as they have. I mean, they were the only people still doing major console games in Australia, even when the aussie dollar was worth US$1.05. Now it's back to US75cents, 2k shuts them down. Is Take Two about to announce shitty results soon?

Best of luck for those affected. It's not like Canberra's a huge tech hub (It's basically government workers) so many will be moving away. I know a few who went there after other studios in other cities closed down.

I'm guessing EA's mobile operation in Melbourne is the last developer owned by a major publisher operating in the country.

Damn, maybe TPS just didn't perform anywhere near sales expectations? I mean they were dealt a pretty shitty hand to develop a prequel few asked for that initially came out on last gen consoles.

edit: Do we even know how TPS sold? I don't see it listed in any of the NPD threads.

edit: Nvm, seems the article links the closure to people leaving as a main contributor :/

Dryk

If you're not in finance, mining or property speculation you're not really welcome here.

Then there's... Alexander Bruce (Antichamber) who's probably the biggest name we have.
I did not know this. Screencheat is Australian too, I first saw it at AVCon last year. There's are reasonably healthy indie and jam communities in the major cities but that's all we can realistically support.

Rlan

Do we still have that Sega studio in QLD? They put out one of the London 2012 olympics games but I'm not sure what they've done since.

Nah, they got shut down a few years ago. The last thing they did was the Castle of Illusion Remake. They were pitching for more XBLA stuff though, like Golden Axe.

That cricket game from two years ago that won Giantbomb.com's Best Apology award was from a melbourne based studio. I remember those guys had job postings for unity multiplayer programmers three months before that game "shipped" before being the first game I've ever seen be cancelled after it had come out.

At the same time, Big Ant Studios, who are ANOTHER Mebourne Studio, made the Don Bradman Cricket game which was considered super awesome, or so I've heard.

my impression is that you guys are still expanding, though. Every few months I see a programmer / designer / manager role pop up from halfbrick. So it's nice to know iOS is working out for some teams. :p

We're still hiring a lot in general, but we've also had some guys (like Prettygreat, Featherweight) move onto something more independant as well. Our team sizes are still only 7-8 per core team, but we have a lot of backend stuff as well now :)

Top Bottom