• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2K to develop the next FIFA game

Dazraell

Gold Member
I don't think the leaker is reliable and is probably guessing, but in all fairness, 2K taking FIFA licence is the very safe bet that has a high chance of actually happening

Calverz

Gold Member
Wondering when someone would make a thread on this. Not sure if true but I’m excited that ea fc will have more competition. The graphics etc in their basketball games look good. I wonder if the presentation in this game will have more of an American focus.

T-0800

let them fight fighting GIF

Ozriel

M$FT
Title should be ‘Rumor: 2K to make the next FIFA game’.
Pet peeve of mine, but it should be clear from the start that this isn’t official or confirmed.

This is clearly fake anyway. No way they’d have a full fledged game ready this soon

And all those teams are also licensed under FIFA.

Most player names come with a FIFPro license. They won’t come just by being given a license by FIFA.

Last edited:
Best thing that could happen to soccer games and sports games in general. Could be a wake up call to the many leagues around the world.

The money they'll put into this with an all new engine will force EA to respond with a better budget game perhaps even rebuilt from the ground up.

If we see success as a result of the competition, we may see exclusivity wane in sports games ushering in a new era of sports games like we used to have. The advent of online play makes it so hard to have competition, but we absolutely need it as sports games have become stagnant without it.

Robb

Gold Member
Would make sense. Doubt it’d be able to bring much competition though. Doesn’t seem like the FIFA branding was very important at all to the games. And a large part of the budget would be going straight to paying the insane FIFA license and creating a new engine from scratch..

cormack12

Gold Member
Title should be ‘Rumor: 2K to make the next FIFA game’.
Pet peeve of mine, but it should be clear from the start that this isn’t official or confirmed.

This is clearly fake anyway. No way they’d have a full fledged game ready this soon

Most player names come with a FIFPro license. They won’t come just by being given a license by FIFA.
I use tags because I am a chad

Last edited:
Do people that play FIFA think it’s great or has the game turned into the regular EA roster update and would like someone else to develop new gameplay mechanics?

Urban

They don't have exclusive rights to using them in video games.

Sega has licenses for football manager and PES licenses a few specific teams, so shouldn't it be possible for 2k to have licensed teams as well as EA?

EA has the rights for nearly all the leagues, player names and teams. If a team is selfpublishing(like Bayern for example), than they can be in other games.

SkylineRKR

Well, scummy practices aside I wonder if 2K can do a better job with the actual gameplay than EA does. It could also force EA into competition again.

Soodanim

I'm guessing it will take a few iterations to get going, and EA have had a bit of a head start with it. It's not like 2K will give it a long time to cook if they've committed to the license.

MrRibeye

I wonder what effect this would have on Konami's eFootball in terms of its popularity, pricing model, and future competitiveness technologically. 👀

SHA

Football is just too big for 2k to make what EA did, it's even EA's biggest game, gambling is the norm on EU when it comes to football, I don't think we'll get something equivalent to what EA did unless they seriously like this sport.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

Sega has licenses for football manager and PES licenses a few specific teams, so shouldn't it be possible for 2k to have licensed teams as well as EA?

I think EA has a lot of licenses locked down.

It's a real shame because ideally you want this new FIFA, as well as Football Manager as well, to have all official teams, kits, stadiums etc. EA shouldn't have have exclusive access.

EA aren't the only ones either. Konami have a lot of Italian teams locked as exclusive that EA doesn't have access to.

They're sure going to compete who's got more predatory monetization scheme.
Fifa by ea was nothing when it comes to 2k NBA when it comes to shitty monetizations
They would charge u for stats, haircuts, kits , shoes battlepasses.
2k is probably the most scummy company when it comes to micro transactions

Hrk69

Do people that play FIFA think it’s great or has the game turned into the regular EA roster update and would like someone else to develop new gameplay mechanics?
EA focuses all their power on Ultimate Team.

They made a few advancement in gameplay/modes over the last years but it's pretty much the same game.

This year has been extremely terrible though

Sleepwalker

I think EA has a lot of licenses locked down.

It's a real shame because ideally you want this new FIFA, as well as Football Manager as well, to have all official teams, kits, stadiums etc. EA shouldn't have have exclusive access.

EA aren't the only ones either. Konami have a lot of Italian teams locked as exclusive that EA doesn't have access to.

I think they won't bother too much about not having the leagues. As long as they can secure player names and likeness they will be able to focus on their own Ultimate team/myteam/mycareer.

NeonDelta

for the premier league ea has full license,other games can only have a max of 2 teams. This has been the way for years.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I think they won't bother too much about not having the leagues. As long as they can secure player names and likeness they will be able to focus on their own Ultimate team/myteam/mycareer.

For me that's more like a football themed gambling machine than a football sim. Really no different to what EA are offering.

Monkfish877

Thank God, stopped playing Fifa back in 2017, the games are so trash. PES always had the superior gameplay. Hoping we get top notch graphics as well.

RAIDEN1

Question is, is there a single football game this generation that could be recommended for fans of the genre? Nothing comes to mind for me, and the lack of Konami being in the game makes it all the more worse....

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
This deal will last 3-4 years and FIFA will revert back to EA

Top Bottom