• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343’s Kiki Wolfkill: We’ve Had Growing Pains over the Years as a Studio, Now We’re Excited for What’s Coming to the Halo IP

EDMIX

Microsoft have made a huge investment in new IP with all the studios they have aquired. But if there is still an audience for Halo products, why shouldn't they continue to cater to that audience? The arguments in this thread seem to be of the form "I didn't like Halo 5, therefore it can't have generated profit for Microsoft, and therefore any future games won't be able to generate profit for Microsoft".

But we have no idea what revenue Halo 5 generated, or what the development costs were. We also have no idea what Halo Infinite is, and the only figure for the development cost is a rumour that even if correct gives no indication of what the money was spent on. And who is to say 343 can't learn from their mistakes and produce a decent single player experience? How many people thought Doom 2016 would be a worthy successor to the original after Doom 3, Rage, and then an aborted first attempt that looked like CoD with monsters?

"why shouldn't they continue to cater to that audience?" ??? Ummm never said that. Not even remotely.

"Nothing wrong with Halo in terms of a few entries for the fans" So....nothing wrong with Halo releases. I'm not sure how to make that more clear lol

and

"You don't see Sony spending Horizon Zero Dawn money on Ratchet remake" As in...you can have a new IP, simply stop putting all the eggs in 1 basket with some IP. Those days are done....move on and return when needed and with a respectable budget that actually supports the real install base of those fans vs this bloated budget ignoring such a demand just no longer exist for Halo. "But we have no idea what revenue Halo 5 generated" We know it didn't out sell Call Of Duty and is no longer moving the same units as past generations. That is the point, I'm not arguing on what it made, I'm making a clear point that its NOT OUTSELLING ITS PAST TITLES ie those days are done.

Stop arguing this narrative of saying "Shouldn't" when nowhere am I saying to actually STOP ALL HALO games.

I mean buddy, I'm even literally telling you nothing is wrong with Halo 5 or Gears 4. Did you even read my post or just rage post?

"MS with a smarter release could have had, new IP this gen instead of Halo 5, have this next title be.....Halo 5. Instead Of Gears 4, new IP, then instead of gears 5 this year, Gears 4."

So that doesn't sound like I'm suggesting no halo games bud, simply less of them. If Sony can do a Killzone this gen and Horizon and have that move 10 million units ON TOP of having a Ratchet remake and Spiderman new IP.....then yes, MS very much can have their cake and eat it too.

Read the post vs rage post and assumptions.

Last edited:

John117

Well this actually gives me confidence, it says that Kiki was the Executive Producer on Halo 4 which was actually a pretty solid Halo single player experience. Given their knowledge with multiplayer now that they fixed in 5 over 4, and her being the studio head now this could actually be something really positive for Infinite.
I'm agree. Halo 4 story is a solid and emotional

FireFly

"why shouldn't they continue to cater to that audience?" ??? Ummm never said that. Not even remotely.

Stop arguing this narrative of saying "Shouldn't" when nowhere am I saying to actually STOP ALL HALO games.
I read your post and I get that. I am talking about 343 continuing to make Halo games vs. taking a break and doing something else. If there still a demand for Halo games why should they cut back on them, when we are already talking about 3+ years between each game, and when they are making a massive investment in new IP with their new studios? To me having your cake and eating it means a new Halo game every 3 years plus a ton of other IP in between from all the other studios Microsoft has acquired.

If your point is that there might not be enough demand for Halo to justify a 500 million development budget, then I can agree to that, with the caveat that the 500 million figure is a rumour at this point, and even if true we don't know over what timescale the money is being spent.

Hopefully that makes a bit more sense now :)

EDMIX

I read your post and I get that. I am talking about 343 continuing to make Halo games vs. taking a break and doing something else. If there still a demand for Halo games why should they cut back on them, when we are already talking about 3+ years between each game, and when they are making a massive investment in new IP with their new studios? To me having your cake and eating it means a new Halo game every 3 years plus a ton of other IP in between from all the other studios Microsoft has acquired.

If your point is that there might not be enough demand for Halo to justify a 500 million development budget, then I can agree to that, with the caveat that the 500 million figure is a rumour at this point, and even if true we don't know over what timescale the money is being spent.

Hopefully that makes a bit more sense now :)

" If there still a demand for Halo games " But the sales of Halo games is not what it was generations ago. Let them move on to other IP and only return when they need to.

If GG can do Killzone and Horizon in 1 gen, 343 can do Halo and a new IP in 1 gen.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Glad to hear studio making game is excited about it. I can sleep easy now.

DanielsM

Banned
Stinkles said it's not true. He works at 343.

They are a subsidiary so Microsoft doesn't write them a check as a external publisher would have to do, and on a schedule. If they have a 10 year planned game, they better have closer to a billion dollars lined up (earmarked as potential development costs) if its going to be a Destiny type game over 10 years. So, technically he is probably right but that's not the complete context.... $500m would probably be on the low end, very low end see Destiny contract. Also, much of this isn't going to be even in the calculation because you'll have other groups within Microsoft helping with the development including back-end services.

Last edited:
Top Bottom