• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

343 Needs To Cut the Master Chief Sago Loose and Explore Other Stories in the Universe

NullZ3r0

Banned
I would love an ID engine or Unreal Engine 5-powered linear story-driven FPS in the Halo universe that tells the story of Sarah Palmer. An 8-10 hour game with a cinematic artstyle would be refreshing. The Halo universe has become bigger than the Chief and I feel like 343 has become paralyzed and limited by trying to focus on placating Halo fans. There's a lot of stories to be told outside of the Human-Covenant war. What about the civil war on the colonies? What about darker storylines that the books delve in.

I want to see them push the graphical envelope. It doesn't even need to have multiplayer. Just play Halo Infinite for that.

I tried to play the Halo Wars games but I couldn't get into Halo Wars 2 and couldn't help but think how much better the game would have been as a linear FPS. 343 needs to treat the Halo Universe like Disney treats the MCU. It's bigger than one character.

I didn't care about Team Osiris in Halo 5 because we didn't get any time to bond with them. They deserve their own game where we learn about each of the characters personally.

No one at Mavel is sick of making MCU movies because every movie is different and creators get to tell stories in their own way. I think its time for 343 to spread its wings. If someone wants to do an RPG in the Halo universe, why not? A grunt farming simulator? If people want it.

Time to kill the Chief or send him off into retirement where him and Cortana can make synthetic babies or whatever.

Last edited:

jhjfss

MxpuPny.jpg

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

I would love an ID engine or Unreal Engine 5-powered linear story-driven FPS in the Halo universe that tells the story of Sarah Palmer. An 8-10 hour game with a cinematic artstyle would be refreshing. The Halo universe has become bigger than the Chief and I feel like 343 has become paralyzed and limited by trying to focus on placating Halo fans. There's a lot of stories to be told outside of the Human-Covenant war. What about the civil war on the colonies? What about darker storylines that the books delve in.

I want to see them push the graphical envelope. It doesn't even need to have multiplayer. Just play Halo Infinite for that.

I tried to play the Halo Wars games but I couldn't get into Halo Wars 2 and couldn't help but think how much better the game would have been as a linear FPS. 343 needs to treat the Halo Universe like Disney treats the MCU. It's bigger than one character.

I didn't care about Team Osiris in Halo 5 because we didn't get any time to bond with them. They deserve their own game where we learn about each of the characters personally.

No one at Mavel is sick of making MCU movies because every movie is different and creators get to tell stories in their own way. I think its time for 343 to spread its wings. If someone wants to do an RPG in the Halo universe, why not? A grunt farming simulator? If people want it.

Time to kill the Chief or send him off into retirement where him and Cortana can make synthetic babies or whatever.
Just ... no

I wouldn't mind a spin-off game like Reach but a Sarah Palmer game...out of all the side characters like Arbiter or characters that actually need to be fleshed out more like Osrais team, Sarah Palmer would be at the bottom of my list.

That being said they can't go long without Chief, you can get away with some side games, but if you write Chief off forever watch the series decline.

darthpaxton

Neo Member
Why not do both? Have a mainline Halo series with Master Chief and then do a spin off series with whatever where they can be more creative with.
I actually think this is probably the end goal for Infinite to some degree. They've said they want Infinite to be an ongoing game for years to come and doing smaller story "chapters" after the campaign is over should allow them to explore the universe much, much more than they've been able to in the main-line games. I think you will still play as Chief, but it will be more about telling other stories in the world than it will be about continuing Chief's journey.

Sejan

I really wish more studios would explore their game universes apart from those that involve the main character. There are tons of worlds that I’d love to explore further with a completely different story, but it’s a very rare thing indeed.

V4skunk

Banned
'm open to new spin offs but 343i need to satisfy us long term Halo fans first.
Halo Infinite is looking good so far though.

Codes 208

We got 3/4 of a whole game playing as those third-rate posers. And Buck.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
The problem seems to be that every time they try to move away from Master Chief, the fans lose interest. The games most revered by the player base are the ones where Master Chief is front and center. They've already moved away from him in the form of Halo: Reach and both Halo Wars titles. Plus those two arcade shooters. There was nothing wrong with Reach or Wars, per se. Quite frankly I enjoyed them. But Master Chief is an icon. Just like having God of War without Kratos just wouldn't hit the same or Metroid without Samus. The problem isn't Master Chief, really. It's that Microsoft and 343 haven't been able to find the formula that makes Halo feel as good today as it did 15 to 20 years ago. With or without Master Chief.

Dr. Suchong

Probably very off topic but I'd like to play just the single player Campaigns of all Halo games.
I don't have the time or data limits to update the mess that is the Master chief collection.
With that in mind, would it be better to play the original series via Backwards compatibility on my XBone?
If I had the 360 physical copies? Thanks :)

Iced Arcade

Naw.

I would like some other spin offs! Give me a 3rd person game of arbiter when he returned back to his home planet of Sanghelios after the Elite split from the Covenant in a civil war.

Killing of chief is like Nintendo killing Mario. He's literally the mascot of Xbox

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
Nah. That’s like getting rid of Samus, link etc. Chief is the man. You can do spin-offs like ODST but Chief still has a few more games left at least

Why not do both? Have a mainline Halo series with Master Chief and then do a spin off series with whatever where they can be more creative with.
Exactly. Give an external studio, or form another inhouse studio/internal dedicated team, to deliver a totally different experience in the same universe.

Batiman

Banned
Probably very off topic but I'd like to play just the single player Campaigns of all Halo games.
I don't have the time or data limits to update the mess that is the Master chief collection.
With that in mind, would it be better to play the original series via Backwards compatibility on my XBone?
If I had the 360 physical copies? Thanks :)
I’d recommend MCC. They give you the option to install whichever ones you want by themselves. I’m not sure how the originals work via BC. I’m pretty sure they won’t run with updated visuals or FR. I could be wrong though. Hopefully someone’s got a better answer for you.

Last edited:
I 100% agree. ODST was awesome and so were the Halo wars games. 343 and MS would be fools to not explore the universe more.

I hold the reverse notion. Halo is Master Chief; there's room for some side exploration, but the franchise should primarily be based around the Chief character. Rather than the infinitely dredging the Halo universe, I'd rather see Microsoft put Halo to sleep for a while and let their developers make some other sci-fi game, even if it's another FPS. Explore ideas in new franchises, instead of cramming concepts and whatever is currently trendy into Halo. In general, and while I understand why it's not seen as financially attractive, I'd rather see developers take a shot at creating new titles, instead of trying to turn popular games into the all-franchise.

Last edited:

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
I think that's what Halo 4, 5 and "6" were supposed to be. The Reclaimer Trilogy, which, I thought would be the end of the Master Chief/Cortana story.

Derktron

Banned
No, what a stupid thing to say, I mean where the fuck do people come up with these ideas? That's like Nintendo killing off their main character (Mario) just to explore other stories in their universe. You do realize that 343i can focus on Master Chief and still go on other universes in that realm right OP?

ZehDon

Gold Member
Halo 5 was 343i's shot at proving they had what it takes to make something really original. How'd that go? Well, they're currently in year six of developing a franchise reboot to try and salvage the brand after the fallout. And that reboot? Yeah, it's basically being rebooted itself after its disastrous reveal.

343i won't be getting the opportunity to do something wholly original again for a very long time. I'd expect that after Infinite is done, Microsoft will start looking for other developers to contribute to the franchise.

PooBone

This conversation would make a lot a more sense to have about a year from now. But I wanted to add that 343 has and continues to explore SO MANY freaking stories outside of MasterChief. From the books and animated shorts and web series, and even the Halo Wars games, which are two of the four non-remasters they’ve put out. They’re doing fine with their percentage of non-MC focused content output.

VAVA Mk2

They likely do this through campaign DLCs with Halo Infinite and there is already a HUGE amount of characters and lore in the expanded universe in comics and novels.

CuNi

I wouldn't mind playing other characters as long as Master Chief does not appear as a NPC or switching between them. At this point Master Chief is the player so seeing him to stuff outside of what I play him as just feels wrong. I would love to explore some marine stories like ODST or play as different covenant members on like a civil war time. Honestly, I wouldn't even mind playing as forerunners fighting against the flood back when they still existed and end it with the rings inevitably firing. There's so much story to tell like OP said, but I think the issue always was that 343 tried to shove in master chief in there somehow because he's the lead figure and generates hype.

Dr. Suchong

I’d recommend MCC. They give you the option to install whichever ones you want by themselves. I’m not sure how the originals work via BC. I’m pretty sure they won’t run with updated visuals or FR. I could be wrong though. Hopefully someone’s got a better answer for you.
Individual installs for each game sounds good. Wasn't aware of that.
I must confess it's been quite some time since I tried to play my copy of MCC on Bone.
I'm assuming more QOL features have been added like the individual installs?
Last I checked (some years ago) there was an update of almost 90gb for it and I noped out completely.
I'll check again, thanks for the response :)

FritzJ92

So cut the main actor out of the film and still title the film after the main actor?... seems like a bad idea. Also, why do people want these single player narrative driven, linear games so much. Give me a freaking sandbox a bunch of guns and an objective and let me do what I want.

This is why I loved Ghost Recon Wildlands so much.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
Individual installs for each game sounds good. Wasn't aware of that.
I must confess it's been quite some time since I tried to play my copy of MCC on Bone.
I'm assuming more QOL features have been added like the individual installs?
Last I checked (some years ago) there was an update of almost 90gb for it and I noped out completely.
I'll check again, thanks for the response :)
I haven’t played it myself in a while either, but they’ve put plenty of work into it over the years.

Top Bottom