• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Motorsport Thread 2009 (Formula 1, MotoGP, WSBK, WRC, Nascar, IRL Etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

h3ro

That Renault looks like Schumi's last Bennetton before he left for Ferrari. Renault's wing is really interesting, especially in how long the mounting area to the nose is, a real contrast to Ferrari and Toyota's thin mounting pillars. It might be a way of creating the air organizing effects of the now missing barge boards...

I'm trying to find more pics of Fernando's new helmet livery, this is all I found so far...

xbjs0n.jpg

Also, it seems like the F60's exhaust may be illegal. Apparently the other teams complained that Ferrari was using the extended outlets as an aero device or some such. This is perhaps another reason Ferrari pulled out of the Portugal test so they could test closer to Maranello (easier transfer of new parts to the team from the factory)...

Ferrari Exhaust May Be Illegal

Leonsito

h3ro said:
That Renault looks like Schumi's last Bennetton before he left for Ferrari. Renault's wing is really interesting, especially in how long the mounting area to the nose is, a real contrast to Ferrari and Toyota's thin mounting pillars.

I'm trying to find more pics of Fernando's new helmet livery, this is all I found so far...

xbjs0n.jpg

Also, it seems like the F60's exhaust may be illegal. Apparently the other teams complained that Ferrari was using the extended outlets as an aero device or some such. This is perhaps another reason Ferrari pulled out of the Portugal test so they could test closer to Maranello (easier transfer of new parts to the team from the factory)...

Ferrari Exhaust May Be Illegal

1232365722_extras_albumes_0.jpg

h3ro said:
That Renault looks like Schumi's last Bennetton before he left for Ferrari. Renault's wing is really interesting, especially in how long the mounting area to the nose is, a real contrast to Ferrari and Toyota's thin mounting pillars. It might be a way of creating the air organizing effects of the now missing barge boards...

Good spot

4970.jpg

zgkj6zsk3.jpg

Teams continue testing

McLaren

diapo_162.jpg

diapo_150.jpg

diapo_136.jpg

Williams

diapo_114.jpg

Testing times so far at Portimao

1. S. Buemi Toro Rosso STR3 1:41.528 29 pit
2. K. Kobayashi Toyota TF109 1:52.748 +11.220 16 pit
3. P. de la Rosa McLaren MP4-24 1:53.740 +12.212 9 pit
4. N. Hülkenberg Williams FW31 1:57.502 +15.974 5 pit
5. N. Piquet Jr. Renault R29 1:58.436 +16.908 5 pit

* Hülkenberg the first crasher of the day

zzj2vlet12.jpg

I'm liking the simple looks of the Williams. It reminds me a bit of one of my favorites of the narrow body cars - the all black Salo/Diniz Arrows. '98 I believe it was.

Credit Suisse end BMW Sauber deal

The BMW Sauber Formula One team will no longer be sponsored by Swiss bank Credit Suisse, which announced its decision to quit the sport on Monday.

The bank, listed as an official partner of BMW Sauber, has decided not to renew an agreement that expired last year.

Credit Suisse, Switzerland's second-biggest bank, had sponsored the team since 2001.

It said it was concentrating on sponsoring regional events and institutions, not international ones.

BMW Sauber won their first race last year at the Canadian Grand Prix, with Robert Kubica crossing the line ahead of teammate Nick Heidfeld.

The team had a successful 2008 season, finishing third behind Ferrari and McLaren, and a full 55 points clear of Renault in fourth.

BMW Sauber are due to unveil their 2009 car on Tuesday, after a winter in which F1 has been forced to face harsh economic realities.

The sport's bosses have repeatedly called for teams to implement cost-cutting measures, and new regulations for the 2009 season include limits on testing and other rules to curb spending.

Honda pulled out of F1 in December, but the sport's remaining teams have all voiced their commitment to shaping a more cost-effective future for the sport.

Link

avaya

Jesus the Renault is a piece of shit.

I guess 2009, the beauty is on the inside...except it isn't cos everything is extra shitty on the inside too.

Hideous.

EDIT: The Williams is easily the nicest looking of everything shown so far but only due to the paintjob which makes it difficult to discern the proportions of the chassis.

cilonen

h3ro said:
Thanks! Looks like he's channeling his inner Senna and Schumi this year... :D

Just gearing up for the psychological war with Hammy. Throw in Kimi (having got rid of his evil twin) and it should be a belter this year, may the best man win.

Loving the Williams - will be great if their flywheel KERS systemis more effective than everyone else's battery based systems and we get to see them towards the front again.

dalin80

Banned
avaya said:
Jesus the Renault is a piece of shit.

I guess 2009, the beauty is on the inside...except it isn't cos everything is extra shitty on the inside too.

Hideous.
new renault overalls for 09

RonaldMcDonald.jpg

avaya

^ :lol

To be honest the Williams Walrus looked like professional designed it in a wind tunnel, it did look like it belonged there. This OTOH.....

The Renault bears a striking resemblence to the Lola from 1997 as pointed out by the guys in the Renault thread at Atlas...that team never qualified for the opening round in Melbourne.

Fonds

It's as if renault could only find lego bricks to build their nose with...

It's everything but subtle... ugliest front wing and nose I've ever seen. The overall feel of the renault is blunt to me anyways.
It just looks slower than the rest we've seen released thus far.

4.jpg
20090119elpepudep_26.jpg

*edit*

Looking at the Renault a bit longer just makes it worse. There's absolutely no curves besides the angle towards the wing. The rest is just 90 degree angles all the way up to the cockpit.

Zhuk

Banned
I got a soft spot for the Renault, but the BMW is easily the best looking of them all! the team did a great job on it :D

Burai

shitonmychest57
The F1 launches so far put paid to the suggestion that the new rules would turn F1 into a spec series where all the cars look the same.

In the nose alone you've got dramatically different approaches with BMW and Williams trying a flat "platypus" look, Renault making their nose as wide as possible to bring it close to the middle element of the front wing whilst still staying high. Then you've got McLaren who've got a low nose with curved sculpting on the top, Ferrari with a long, slim nose and Toyota with a high, short nose.

These are probably the most diverse and interesting cars since 95/96 when the teams were trying to make the most of planks, headrests, larger cockpits and lower rear wings.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Results from Algarve, day two. Today poor weather with strong winds and thunder/hailstorms

1. S. Buemi Toro Rosso STR3 1:34.429 48
2. P. de la Rosa McLaren MP4-24 1:37.512 +3.083 62
3. J. Trulli i Toyota TF109 1:42.399 +7.970 30
4. N. Piquet Jr. Renault R29 1:45.860 +11.431 9 (car failure)
5. N. Rosberg Williams FW31 1:51.580 +17.151 31

EDIT: Day three testing

First engine explosion from Toyota. Renault and Mclaren with some technical problems (both parked on track)

BMW test report

Test in Valencia.
January 21st – 24th 2009
Day two – Thursday
Weather conditions: cloudy all day with strong winds in the afternoon.
Air temperature: 7 – 12 °C, track temperature: 9 – 13 °C
Number of drivers participating: 1 (exclusive BMW Sauber F1 Team test)
Circuit length: 4.005 km
Robert Kubica
Chassis / engine: BMW Sauber F1.09-02 / BMW 86/9
Test kilometres today: 465 km (116 laps)

Programme:
The team today continued its evaluation programme for the BMW Sauber F1.09. In the
morning Robert Kubica tried different set-up solutions and once more carried out a number
of race start simulations. Due to strong winds in the afternoon, the engineers switched their
focus to overall reliability. Several long runs helped amass further basic data for the all-new
car.
“While the morning was good, unfortunately the wind made testing quite difficult in the
afternoon,” Kubica commented after completing 116 laps. “But we still got some interesting
results which will help us understand the new BMW Sauber F1.09 better.”
What comes next:
After two days with Robert Kubica at the wheel, tomorrow sees the BMW Sauber F1.09 in
the hands of Nick Heidfeld for the first of two more days of testing.
diapo_103-1.jpg

Testing in Bahrain
BMW Sauber will join Toyota and Ferrari at the Bahrain International Circuit in Sakhir in February as part of their pre-season testing programme, Manipe F1 has learned. Two back-to-back four-day tests are scheduled for Bahrain on the second and third weeks of February, with other teams testing in Jerez and Barcelona.

McLaren test report

PORTIMAO TEST - WED 21st JANUARY 2009
Date: Wednesday January 21 2009
Drivers: Lewis Hamilton
Track Length: 4.687km
Weather: Damp in the morning but dry and sunny in the afternoon
Track temperature: Maximum 30°C;
Air temperature: Maximum 13°C
Laps run today: 81
Laps run in total at test: 171 (28/62/81)
Kilometres covered today: 380
Kilometres covered in total at test: 801 (131/290/380)
Best lap time today: 1m30.242 at 17:15
Best lap time of the test: 1m30.242

Programme: Lewis returned to the cockpit for his first taste of the 2009 regulations and the team’s new MP4-24 car. While the weather was markedly improved over the previous two days, the morning remained damp, requiring the continued use of an ’08-spec rear wing and intermediate tyres. The team was briefly hampered at lunchtime by a precautionary engine systems shutdown, which was quickly rectified without the need to change the unit. In the afternoon, conditions sufficiently improved to allow an ’09-spec rear wing and several sets of slicks to be bolted to the car, resulting in Lewis’s best time of 1m30.242. Lewis said: "It was good to be back working with the team - it felt like I’d hardly been away because it was easy to slip back into the routine. It’s amazing to think that, while I’ve been to Woking throughout the winter, I haven’t properly driven a Formula 1 car since the Brazilian Grand Prix two months ago, but everything very quickly felt normal today. "This first test was all about just getting used to the new car and the new regulations and about giving my feedback to the engineers; it wasn’t about setting a fast time. I’m pleased to report that the car feels good, we’ve made lots of progress over the winter and I’m looking forward to developing the car ahead of the Australian Grand Prix. "It’s going to be an extremely busy winter. I’ve only been in the car for one day and our usual joblist for the weeks ahead is already enormous. With the limitations on testing during the season, and the few sessions we have over the next two months, this is going to be an intense time and absolutely critical for every team."
Drivers for tomorrow: Heikki Kovalainen
Duration of test: Four days (Jan 19-22)
Next Test: Jerez (Feb 10-13)
esqtdwpekqngdaxqjti.jpg
jtfyekzjnibtmshqjpi.jpg

umxrkqjcvojciouebqw.jpg
xzhahaczohagqwpvchr.jpg

Ferrari test report

Final testing day at Mugello circuit
Circuit: Autodromo Internazionale del Mugello - 5.245 km
Driver: Felipe Massa
Car: Ferrari F60
Weather: air temperature 8/11 °C, track temperature 7/11 °C. Overcast in the morning, then cloudy.

Fourth and final day of testing this week for Scuderia Ferrari Marlboro, working again today at the Mugello International Circuit.

Finally, the weather was not too bad today, which meant that, as from late morning, slick tyres could be used. Felipe Massa was thus able to run on a dry track, accumulating a large amount of data which will be analysed over the next few days.

Felipe completed a total of 103 laps, the quickest in a time of 1.23.981. The day's programme ended slightly ahead of schedule, a few minutes before the track was closed, because of a problem linked to the hydraulics.

"I am pleased with the way these past days have gone," commented the Brazilian at the end of the day. "Finally today, we were able to test the car in the dry continuously. First impressions are positive, even if it is obviously too early to say what level we are at, partly because we had no competitors here to compare ourselves with. However, if I was asked to give a verdict on this test, I would score it a strong eight for reliability, given that we have covered over 1500 kilometres. It's true a lot of that was in the wet, but given the conditions experienced in Portimao, I think the decision to come to Mugello was the right one."

Raikkonen happy with KERS
Kimi Raikkonen says he is quite happy with Ferrari's Kinetic Energy Recovery System after his first tests in the new Ferrari F60 at Mugello.

Ferrari said last week that they are unsure whether to use KERS from the start of 2009, having previously admitted that they were behind schedule with the device.

But Raikkonen, who drove the F60 for the first two days of this week, said he felt the system was functioning well.

"Both days the use of KERS had positive results," he told Gazzetta dello Sport. "The system works well like every other new component."

The former world champion isn't sure that it will have a huge effect on the racing, though.

"You have more power but for such a short time that I think it won't change things much," said Raikkonen. "Maybe it's an interesting invention, but I don't think it's decisive."

Ferrari decided to test at Mugello rather than joining their main rivals at Portimao because they expected better weather in Italy, but in the event both locations have been hit by rain this week.

However Raikkonen stood by the team's decision.

"I think it's raining over there too," he said. "At least here we're close to home and it's easier to send people back and forth when needed."
likjmhgdfsd.jpg

uytegrhgjhm.jpg
uyjndfv.jpg

re221yk0x20090121ex9.jpg

Distance driven so far this year (in km) :

1. Ferrari 1.678
2. BMW Sauber F1 Team 1.153
3. Scuderia Toro Rosso 1.131
4. Williams 948
5. McLaren-Mercedes 887
6. Toyota 690
7. Renault 596

Testing Videos

Link

Link

Link

Indian Grand Prix Confirmed for 2011

India will definitely host a Grand Prix in Delhi in 2011, Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone has told the BBC Asian Network.

Ecclestone insists he and Indian company Jaiprakash Associates Ltd are "fully committed" to the project.

"Of course we will deliver... otherwise we wouldn't have entered into an agreement," said Ecclestone.

Work on a new circuit on the outskirts of Delhi was meant to begin in October 2008 but was postponed.

Ecclestone said that this was because he has issues with the global calendar of sporting events and "certain contracts elsewhere to fulfil".

BBC Sport understands that work on India's track will now begin this summer, with completion expected at the end of 2010.

Top Indian driver Narain Karthikeyan cast doubt over the project last month, saying he didn't believe "anyone would want to invest in motorsport" during the current global economic crisis.

But Karthikeyan, who raced for Jordan and tested for Williams in F1, knows how popular the sport could be in his country.

"It will be very big for the whole of Asia because everyone will benefit," he said.

"It will also be much better for fans in India to get closer to the sport."

Ecclestone is keen to bring F1 to a country with a population of over one billion and one of the world's fastest-growing economies - even in the current global downturn.

"It's a large, large country with a big population and it's good for the sponsors, car manufacturers and everyone involved in Formula One," he said.

The Force India team's participation in F1 has also raised the sport's profile in India, although it has a long way to go before it challenges cricket's popularity.

Ecclestone admitted he is not expecting Lewis Hamilton to rival the likes of India cricket superstars Mahendra Dhoni and Sachin Tendulkar any time soon.

"I doubt in India anything will be a rival to cricket, but let's see," he said.

BBC Sport

Flo_Evans

Subzero you rock man! I was going to do a dakar wrap up but I am too lazy...

Quick review: VW rocked the pants off Mitsubishi. KTM dominated the bikes, and the russian crazy trucks beat whatever else was in that class.

The full results can be seen here.

Flo_Evans said:
Subzero you rock man! I was going to do a dakar wrap up but I am too lazy...

Quick review: VW rocked the pants off Mitsubishi. KTM dominated the bikes, and the russian crazy trucks beat whatever else was in that class.

The full results can be seen here.

Thanks, I'll keep this thread as up to date as possible for you guys :)

Superbikes launch 2009

The 2009 HANNspree FIM Superbike World Championship, the 22nd edition of which gets underway on March 1st with the opening round at Phillip Island in Australia, received its season launch today at the Autodromo Internacional do Algarve in Portimao, southern Portugal.

This year's edition of the world's leading production-based racing championship was presented by Paolo Flammini, CEO of Infront Motor Sports, the series organisers, together with Guglielmo Fiocchi, Managing Director Business Unit Moto of Pirelli, the one-make tyre supplier for the FIM Superbike World Championship, the FIM Supersport World Championship, the Superstock 1000 FIM Cup and the European 600 Superstock Championship, and Melanie Oborski, spokesperson for HANNspree.

During the press conference the 2009 racing programmes of the 7 manufacturer teams present in WSBK, an unprecedented number in world motor sport, were illustrated by their respective manufacturer representatives: Giampiero Sacchi (Director of Racing Activities Piaggio Group), Berti Hauser (BMW Motorrad General Manager Motorsport Motorcycle), Davide Tardozzi (Ducati Corse Superbike Director), Ronald Ten Kate (Hannspree Ten Kate Honda team manager), Steve Guttridge (Kawasaki Europe Race Planning Manager), Yann Ladouche (Suzuki Alstare Team Coordinator) and Massimo Meregalli (Yamaha WSB Team Manager).

This year's calendar can count on 14 rounds in five continents, including a return to South Africa for the first time since 2002, at the Kyalami circuit. The championship kicks off in Australia at the start of March and concludes on October 25th here at the Portimao track.

The main changes in Superbike this year include a switch to 'flag-to-flag' (a change of bike is allowed in case of rain during the race) and the new elimination Superpole format for the top 20 riders in qualifying.
b__Portimao_SeasonLaunch.jpg

Source

Superbikes testing

Shane Byrne (Sterilgarda Ducati) led the time sheets for much of the first day of testing at Portimao, both in the morning session when it was wet in many places then in the afternoon as track conditions dried almost completely. His impressive pace took him to a day one overall best of 1'44.265, less than one second from the absolute track best, set by outgoing champion Troy Bayliss last year.

Byrne had to put in an effort later in the session, as first Michel Fabrizio and then Ben Spies passed him, but after his 47 laps, Byrne held the upper hand on his private 1098R.

Max Neukirchner pushed the new Suzuki to fourth fastest time, still inside the 1'44 bracket, as was the following Noriyuki Haga, getting used to his factory Ducati at a quick pace.

Every one of the 27 riders on show went quicker in the afternoon sessions, leaving Jakub Smrz (Guandalini Ducati) sixth fastest as he put in a strong challenge throughout.

The top Honda was the privateer Stiggy Motorsports machine of Leon Haslam, leading a three rider running flush of CBR machinery ahead of team-mates Jonathan Rea and Carlos Checa.

The top ten was rounded out by Yukio Kagayama's Suzuki, with Broc Parkes the leading Kawasaki runner in 14th. The all-new BMW and Aprilia machines were out in full force at this test, with Troy Corser 15th on the S1000RR and Max Biaggi 16th on the vee-four Aprilia.

In the Supersport class, the new combination of Joan Lascorz and his Kawasaki ZX-6R proved to be the quickest overall, albeit on a slightly wetter track than the Superbike riders finally got to ride on.

Second was class rookie Cal Crutchlow, on a Yamaha, with Honda rider Kenan Sofuoglu third, Suzuki man Barry Veneman fourth, making for four different types of machine inside the top four.

Two more days of testing remain.
ByrneSterligarda08.jpg

Source

Testing Times

1. Shane Byrne GBR Sterilgarda Ducati 1098R 1min 44.265secs
2. Michel Fabrizio ITA Ducati Xerox 1098R 1min 44.468secs
3. Ben Spies USA Yamaha Italia YZF R1 1min 44.652secs
4. Max Neukirchner GER Alstare Suzuki GSX-R 1000K9 1min 44.931secs
5. Noriyuki Haga JPN Ducati Xerox 1098R 1min 44.976secs
6. Jakub Smrz CZE Guandalini Racing Ducati 1098R 1min 45.266secs
7. Leon Haslam GBR Stiggy Motorsport Honda CBR1000RR 1min 45.323secs
8. Jonathan Rea GBR HANNspree Ten Kate Honda CBR10000RR 1min 45.329secs
9. Carlos Checa ESP HANNspree Ten Kate Honda CBR10000RR 1min 45.373secs
10. Yukio Kagayama JPN Alstare Suzuki GSX-R 1000K9 1min 45.448secs
11. Tom Sykes GBR Yamaha Italia YZF R1 1min 45.558secs
12. Regis Laconi FRA DFX Corse Ducati 1098R 1min 45.914secs
13. Alessandro Polita ITA Sterilgarda Ducati 1098R 1min 46.110secs
14. Broc Parkes AUS Kawasaki SRT ZX-0R 1min 46.121secs
15. Troy Corser AUS BMW Motorrad S1000RR 1min 46.261secs
16. Max Biaggi ITA Aprilia Racing RSV-4 1min 46.440secs
17. Ryuichi Kiyonari JPN Ten Kate Honda CBR1000RR 1min 46.586secs
18. Gregorio Lavilla ESP Pro Ride Honda CBR10000RR 1min 46.948secs
19. Makoto Tamada JPN Kawasaki SRT ZX-10R 1min 46.957secs
20. Ruben Xaus ESP BMW Motorrad S1000RR 1min 47.340secs
21. Tommy Hill GBR HANNspree Althea Honda CBR1000RR 1min 47.639secs
22. Brendan Roberts AUS Guandalini Racing Ducati 1098R 1min 47.699secs
23. Shinya Nakano JPN Aprilia Racing RSV-4 1min 48.274secs
24. David Salom ESP Team Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1min 48.800secs
25. Luca Scassa ITA Team Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1min 49.800secs
26. Vittorio Iannuzzo ITA Squadra Corse Italia Honda CBR1000RR 1mins 50.187secs
27. Roberto Rolfo ITA Stiggy Motorsport Honda CBR1000RR 1min 53.550secs

==========================================================

MotoGP News

More bad news for John Hopkins and Marco Melandri

Since the official announcement that Kawasaki has decided to pull out of MotoGP, a number of people - most notably, Dorna CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta - have been working furiously on finding a way of keeping the bikes on the grid. The phone lines between Kawasaki's Akashi base, Dorna's Barcelona headquarters, the Kawasaki MotoGP team's base in Heerlen in the Netherlands, and Jorge Martinez in Spain have been positively humming.

For a long time, Jorge Martinez and the Aspar team looked like the most promising prospect for a continuation of Kawasaki's MotoGP efforts, but as negotiations dragged on, and disagreements started to emerge over the conditions under which Aspar would acquire the bikes, hopes began to fade. On Wednesday, Motorcycle News reported that Ezpeleta believed that Aspar would not take on the project, and today, confirmation comes from Jorge Martinez, boss of the Aspar team, himself.

Martinez confirmed to the Spanish magazine Motociclismo that he will not be running the Kawasakis in MotoGP this year. As expected, the deal fell through over the conditions imposed by Kawasaki: Martinez needed at least one Spanish rider if his sponsors were to be able to justify their investment in the project, a demand that Kawasaki could not agree to. In addition, Kawasaki would only provide the bikes for the 2009 season - a consequence of the deal offered to them by Dorna.

Kawasaki had committed themselves to compete in MotoGP through 2011, in a contract signed by the MSMA with Dorna. Dorna had offered to waive any fines or further litigation against Kawasaki if the Japanese factory was willing to provide bikes for the 2009 season. But Jorge Martinez and the Aspar team are keen to enter MotoGP on a long-term basis, and a one-year deal would be more likely to hinder their long-term plans than help them. Faced with these problems, Martinez decided to pull out of further attempts to negotiate a deal with Kawasaki.

This leaves only current Kawasaki team boss Michael Bartholemy in the running to try and keep the bikes on the grid. The Belgian is currently in Japan talking with Kawasaki's corporate bosses, trying to iron out a deal to race in 2009. Originally, there was talk of a French company providing technical assistance in bike maintenance and development, but recently, former MotoGP entry Ilmor have expressed an interest in taking up this role. In an email to MotoGPMatters.com, Steve Miller of Ilmor said "we have expressed a keen interest in assisting Kawasaki to run their engine on in MotoGP this season."

Though the British engineering firm have undoubted expertise in running, developing and building engines, the problem with the Kawasaki lies elsewhere. The 2008 ZX-RR Ninja made plenty of power - the bike regularly posted among the highest top speeds at a number of races - the problem was getting that power down onto the ground. Both John Hopkins and Ant West complained of a lack of rear wheel traction, as well as a lack of front-end feel, making it impossible to take advantage of the Kawasaki's potent engine. Unless Bartholemy can find someone to help him work on that, then any attempt at reviving the project may be doomed before it even gets off the ground.
Source

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
arena08 said:
Whats with the Mclaren's crazy wheel covers?

djm0921ja05.jpg

I saw those two, not sure they are going to get away with those little arrow bits on the front of them.

Funny considering they were bitching when Ferrari unveiled them 2 years ago.

jey_16

Banned
they used those wheel covers during testing last year as well....i think it gives them additional information about the tyre, they wont use it during the season as it would be classified as an aerodynamic device

pootle

I work for the company that makes Johnny Walker Whisky so when McLaren visited Shieldhall bottling hall in Glasgow people from all over central Scotland got to go. I was one of them, lucky me!
http://video.stv.tv/bc/news-090122-diageo/
Hope the video works, I was 10 feet to the left of the car when it stopped. You can't see it from the video, but at the risk of telling you all something you already know, Hamilton can drive like fuck! It was freezing and had been raining but his control was just unbelievable. Humbling.

After that there was a Q&A session with Lewis. He seems like a very personable young man. Not exactly wide in his interests if you know what I mean. As he said himself, all he has wanted to do from the age of 6 is drive, first karts then cars. That's it. No distractions. I'm not sure he knows what to do with a Pussycat Doll to be honest!

I don't mean that harshly, just that he seemed completely focused. I can believe that he spends his nights in playing video games with his brother (not that there's anything wrong with that!) and his days either training or driving. He probably doesn't want to do anything else.

And then the highlight of the day for me. The car he was driving was last year's winner from the British GP, so a bit scuffed and worn. Pure car porn! Apologies for the shitty pics.
PICT0016.jpg

PICT0018.jpg

PICT0019.jpg

PICT0022.jpg

PICT0023.jpg

PICT0025.jpg

PICT0024.jpg

And my favourite bit of the car: this is the most amazing piece of design I have ever seen-
PICT0021.jpg

The mechanics were BRILLIANT. I was all over the car fondling it as were all the car buffs, but there were some folk there who had never taken an interest in cars before the day. No matter what question you asked the mechanics took as much time with you as you wanted. A guy asked what the buttons on the wheel did, so it got whipped out and given to him while they were all explained.

An amazing day. If McLaren win this year I will be quite happy. I might even be starting to turn into a wee bit of a McLaren fan. :D

Actually I just remembered the real best bit of the day: the look on Lewis' face when he was going to get his pictures taken with the Shieldhall workers! Every fiftysomething woman in the place wanted to either shag him or mother him, poor man!:lol

Britprog

pootle said:
I work for the company that makes Johnny Walker Whisky so when McLaren visited Shieldhall bottling hall in Glasgow people from all over central Scotland got to go. I was one of them, lucky me!
http://video.stv.tv/bc/news-090122-diageo/
Hope the video works, I was 10 feet to the left of the car when it stopped. You can't see it from the video, but at the risk of telling you all something you already know, Hamilton can drive like fuck! It was freezing and had been raining but his control was just unbelievable. Humbling.

After that there was a Q&A session with Lewis. He seems like a very personable young man. Not exactly wide in his interests if you know what I mean. As he said himself, all he has wanted to do from the age of 6 is drive, first karts then cars. That's it. No distractions. I'm not sure he knows what to do with a Pussycat Doll to be honest!

I don't mean that harshly, just that he seemed completely focused. I can believe that he spends his nights in playing video games with his brother (not that there's anything wrong with that!) and his days either training or driving. He probably doesn't want to do anything else.

And then the highlight of the day for me. The car he was driving was last year's winner from the British GP, so a bit scuffed and worn. Pure car porn! Apologies for the shitty pics.

The mechanics were BRILLIANT. I was all over the car fondling it as were all the car buffs, but there were some folk there who had never taken an interest in cars before the day. No matter what question you asked the mechanics took as much time with you as you wanted. A guy asked what the buttons on the wheel did, so it got whipped out and given to him while they were all explained.

An amazing day. If McLaren win this year I will be quite happy. I might even be starting to turn into a wee bit of a McLaren fan. :D

Actually I just remembered the real best bit of the day: the look on Lewis' face when he was going to get his pictures taken with the Shieldhall workers! Every fiftysomething woman in the place wanted to either shag him or mother him, poor man!:lol

Good post mate, good to see some crazy driving skills of Hamilton.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
subzero9285 said:
Desmosedici GP9

236544_preview_big.jpg

Damn, that looks good.

Flo_Evans said:
SBK fans, has anyone been following Motoczysz? They had a special on discovery channel about him called "Birth of a Racer"

Really cool. Looks like they are starting their initial (pre?)production run of 50 bikes.

vegas10.jpg

It's a complete from scratch bike with some pretty neat ideas. The biggest one being a dual crankshaft inline V engine with conter-rotating shafts that is said to be perfectly balanced and a revelation to ride.

Any links to more info or videos of this bike?

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Manp said:
that should be in nautic miles considering the weather :p

:)

Massa needs it, maybe this year if it rains he won't pitch the car off the track after a rabbit.

MrSardonic said:
Damn, that looks good.

Articles

Many of the same principles for making cars go fast work the same when applied to motorcycles. However, there are fundamental differences which need to be taken into account when the highest performance is required. Take chassis design, for instance. With an automotive chassis, race cars generally want to be as stiff as possible. This is not always the case when there are only two contact patches on the ground. This is because lateral flex allows some "give" when the bike is leaned over. Some also believe that some extra steering input is given by the rear tire when the chassis flexes, allowing the motorcycle to handle better when leaned over. Another area where motorcycles differ from cars is aerodynamics. Because of the basic rider\bike relationship, width is crucial when it comes to motorcycle racing aerodynamics. The height is almost preset by the rider; you can only crouch so much! But, the width of the bike allows designers the ability to shorten the bike by shortening the distance between the riders knees. Motoczysz has taken this idea and run with it. They believe that by halving the engine width by arranging the four cylinders in a staggered "V" pattern that they can make up the lower output they will achieve by adding a coupling set of gears on the crankshaft with the increase in aerodynamic efficiency that the design will allow. They are also building in adjustable lateral suspension movement in their innovative front fork arrangement.

Motoczysz is not the only would-be manufacturer that plans on pushing the boundaries of motorcycle design. Ecosse Spirit has taken standard motorcycle design and thrown it in the garbage with much of the design of their new ES1 bike. Their bike design does not have a conventional chassis at all. The arrangement allows them to place the rider lower on the bike and keep his knees close together. This design forced them to move the pivot of the swingarm up from its normal placement.

One constant between the two radical bike designs is extensive use of carbon fiber for the bodywork and chassis components. After all, the lighter you can make the bike, the less power you require to stay competitive. Chassis design for bikes is a bit of a black art and might allow the most room to grow from where the industry is at now. Innovative designs like these could allow them to vault to the front of the podium, or, fall flat on their faces.

Link

The term ‘American Motorcycle’ is synonymous with large, 45 degree V-Twins made for cruising the highways. When talks about American, they mean Harley-Davidson or Indian. Recently there are a number of small, independent companies that are attempting to take back the performance motorcycle category which all this American iron founded at the beginning of the last century.

Everyone knows the story of Buell. Great ideas and interesting bikes but that Harley powerplant is the Achille’s heel. Having finally admitted that fact, they will soon be moving over to Rotax engines which KTM also relies on. There are, however, some that you probably have never heard of. Fischer Motor Company, for example, produces the Hyosung powered MRX (designed by Glynn Kerr, I believe). The company offers an interesting a la carte approach to building your new bike that I find appealing. You can pick up the base model for about $8k and build up from there. Order it equipped with Ohlins suspension and carbon fiber bodywork if you like, which is unheard of in dealerships for any other company. Unfortunately, I think they may missed class the day they taught “win on Sunday, sell on Monday” since their 650cc v-twin can’t compete in any national series. Due to this it must be considered a dedicated street or trackday bike. Don’t take this as being too critical as I have never even seen one of these in person, but it appears as though the Japanese sportbike monolith could crush them if it even glanced in their direction.

I turned my attention to racing in the last paragraph since motorsports drives the market offerings that are available to the public in the area of high performance vehicles. Fischer is dabbling at the entry level in a fiercely competitive market. On the other side of the continuum stands a man named Michael Czysz. He is taking aim at the pinnacle of motorcycle racing and is possibly the best hope for putting an American bike at the top of the rankings. The MotoCzysz C1 990 obviously turns the Japanese formula on an inline-4 sportbike on it’s head. The company has patents on counter rotating “Z-line” engines which makes for a perfectly balance powerplant. The Flex forks allow wheel movement in a third axis to provide better handling when the bike is leaned over. The list goes on and on. . .

Obviously, this bike wouldn’t be legal in Superbike or any kind of stock series. That leaves only MotoGP, where pretty much the only technical limitation is displacement. MotoCzysz hasn’t been raced, but don’t throw it onto the motorcycle racing compost heap of history yet. Their C1 990 production model was the focus of some parade laps at the 2007 USGP at Laguna Seca proving to hundreds of thousands of people that there really is a working bike behind all the hype!

Link

Here's a PDF of a magazine article from 2006.

http://www.pdfdownload.org/pdf2html...ww.motoczysz.com/pdfs/rrw_9_06.pdf&images=yes

Official specs

MotoCzysz C1 Technical Specifications
Engine

Configuration Twin Crank/ Triple OHC/Wet Deep Sump
Type Z-Line 4
Displacement 990cc
Bore 82mm
Stroke 46.85mm
Included Valve angle 22 degrees
Fuel Injection Single overhead/10bar pressure
Exhaust FMF Titanium 45mm 4-2-4
Cooling Multi-stage with twin front and rear ducted under tail radiators
Cam Drive Gear with compliant element
Intake Valve Titanium 33.5mm diameter with 4.5mm stem
Exhaust Valve Titanium 28.0mm diameter with 4.5mm stem

Transmission

Gearbox 6 Speed, Quick change, Close ratio
Clutch Dry pack with Hydro electro slipper control
(replica: ramp and ball slipper control)

A video of the bike in testing

Testing

Other Videos

Video
Video 2

Promo Images

side_transparent07c1.jpg

c1_07_highback.jpg

c1_07_rear3qwh.jpg

Other Images

bothbikes.jpg

reartop.jpg

springarm.jpg

motoczysz.jpg

pootle said:

Excellent post Pootle, thank you.

Kimi Raikkonen and Mika Hakkinen competing in the Arctic Rally

Pics

16646.jpg

16649.jpg

16651.jpg

16653.jpg

Videos

Video 1

Video 2

Video 3

Video 4

Final results:

1. Juha Salo Mitsub. 2.01.14,1
2. Kosti Katajamäki Mitsub. +15,2
3. Jari Ketomaa Subaru +33,2
4. Jussi Välimäki Mitsub. +1.24,5
5. Jukka Ketomäki Mitsub. +2.08,0
6. Janne Tuohino Mitsub. +2.21,3
9. Jyrki Järvilehto Mitsub. +5.36,1
13. Kimi Räikkönen Fiat +6.34,0
19. Mika Häkkinen Mitsub. +13.44,4

Very impressive from Kimi, seems like he has a career in rallying after he retires from F1.

Burai said:
That's where the coal goes for the Trulli train.

Hah, I thought only our local commentators used that phrase. Being a die-hard Trulli fan, I'm offended by such comments, yet proud at the same time, that he has a special nickname, whatever the background of the nickname is :lol.

Goldrusher

^ It's more a name for the phenomenon that happens when Trulli once again manages to get in front of faster cars / drivers and defends his position. And that's awesome. He's not slow, he's really fast and clever. Great qualifying, great start, and bam, there's Trulli, in p3 or p4 leading a "train" of faster cars who just can't seem to get past him.

MrSardonic said:
whecs1.jpg

Dave Long

Banned
Eh... there are things NASCAR could do immediately that would be pretty simple and "green friendly". Even just getting off of unleaded gasoline would be an improvement. Methanol, ethanol... doesn't really matter which, but either would be preferable to their continued usage of gasoline as a racing fuel.

Let's not forget that until just a year ago, NASCAR was still running LEADED fuel!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom