• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

360 version of Unreal Tournament may have fewer maps

segarr

RubberJohnny said:
With all this bad news for the 360 version - no mods, no KB+mouse support and less maps, I doubt it will sell particularly well.

Honestly though, the average person won't even know this. This won't affect sales.....I know a bunch of casuals who play the heck out of shooters, and they wouldn't even consider a m/kb (Heck, I wouldn't consider a m/kb). And the mods/maps thing is the kind of stuff that simply doesn't get out to most people....it's not like their gonna put on the cover "No mods, less maps", and they can't advertise the Sony version of being better for having these things because that could hurt the sales of the game on that platform by letting people know it's coming to 360.

I personally don't think it will sell well on 360 because it's going to be coming out after Christmas...after Halo, around the same time as GTA4, and that 360 owners simply aren't going to care too much about it.

PS : Lets not forget that the mods/maps thing are still both "mights"....

Xater

Agent Icebeezy said:
That is exactly how it will work. How do you think games like Blue Dragon was done and others will be accomplished?

Uncompressed, Blue Dragon is over 30GB and it fits on 3 DVDs and that is with a ton of FMV and sharing assets. It can be done.

But UT seems to use the same maps AND I don't think the singleplayer part will be so fleshed out that there will be alot of special SP content. But who knows we can only speculate.

Steroyd

Agent Icebeezy said:
That is exactly how it will work. How do you think games like Blue Dragon was done and others will be accomplished?

Uncompressed, Blue Dragon is over 30GB and it fits on 3 DVDs and that is with a ton of FMV and sharing assets. It can be done.

This is Unreal Tournament we're talking about, the previous games took a hella lot of space for it's time AND THE GAME WAS JUST MAPS WITH BOTS.

It can be done, but I doubt it can be done with Unreal Tournament.

Ah, some of these responses were so, so satisfying. It's amazing how people's attitudes can flip back and forth like this without them blowing a fuse.

womfalcs3

Banned
This is not just about now. It's about the future. I mean Blue Dragon was first, now this?

Scot Rubin on his show said when he sat down with the Bioshock devs, they told him they were extremely close to running out of room on the DVD9. What about 2 years from now?

We're still early in this generation.

saelz8

Piper Az said:
What about the PC version? Are they going to release that in Blu-ray too? Sounds like a stupid Sony PR talk from Epic.
Don't need to, we'll be playing it from our HDD's.

2K4 was 5 CD's

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Piper Az said:
What about the PC version? Are they going to release that in Blu-ray too? Sounds like a stupid Sony PR talk from Epic.

We've discussed this before, but multiple discs on PC aren't an issue at all since you install once to the HDD and that is that. Further, they can more aggressively compress data onto a PC DVD and not have to do any replication aid seek times, unlike a console version which will run off a disc, and thus will have less accomodating demands from a space POV on decompression time and seek times. It's quite possible a PC version of a game might ship on one disc, all-the-while that not being possible on a console (although in this case the PC version may well be multi-DVD, I guess we'll see).

Gattsu25

Banned
reilo said:
How can ONE OF THE PRODUCERS OF THE FUCKING GAME provide FUCKED UP DISINFORMATION about his OWN WORK?!?!

FUD is spread by the competition, not by the creator.
:lol
FUD is Fear Uncertainty and Doubt

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Heh, do they really even want to sell the 360 version? Mark Rein seems to be pretty down on the 360 as of late. It almost makes it seem as if their experience with Gears of War on 360 was negative (the dealings with Microsoft). I mean, in addition to all of the negative UT3 bits, there are also things like the exclusive single player content for GoW PC.

All of their statements seem valid enough, but they feel quite negative in tone. Microsoft had to have pissed them off somehow...at least it seems that way.

dark10x said:
Heh, do they really even want to sell the 360 version? Mark Rein seems to be pretty down on the 360 as of late. It almost makes it seem as if their experience with Gears of War on 360 was negative (the dealings with Microsoft). I mean, in addition to all of the negative UT3 bits, there are also things like the exclusive single player content for GoW PC.

All of their statements seem valid enough, but they feel quite negative in tone. Microsoft had to have pissed them off somehow...at least it seems that way.

ill tell you why, Silicon Knights is second party to Microsoft, they do what MS says

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
RubberJohnny said:
With all this bad news for the 360 version - no mods, no KB+mouse support and less maps, I doubt it will sell particularly well.

How did the previous franchise entries do on Xbox?

Aleman

FightyF said:
I doubt it's gonna sell well due to the competition on the platform as well.
[\QUOTE]

It will still sell well. Unreal Championship was pretty popular on Live and that game didn't have mods/KB&M, etc. It will probably hit at just the right time too, when the competitive types are getting bored with Halo/CoD4.

FFChris

dark10x said:

No mod support, not allowing free content. They probably are a bit pissed off.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Hey here's an idea. Lets announce a gimped version of UT3 for 360 that'll come out later than the definitive (console) version. We'll make MILLIONS and laugh all the way to the bank!!!! :lol

Wollan

Anyone else think Midway are doing a bad job marketing this game? While there are technical topics like this one popping up from time to time I think there's lack of hype going. If a platform holder was publishing this exclusively it would be on everyones lips.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
FFChris said:
No mod support, not allowing free content. They probably are a bit pissed off.

About a year ago they were going around gloating about how they "cost Microsoft a billion dollars." More recently, Rein was stating Gears couldn't be done on the PC. Now, it seems he's turned his attention favorably toward the PS3. Some of what he says has merit. Just as much is rich, peanut filled, marketing shitspeak.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
onegoodlogan said:
Did I miss the "360 version will NOT have mods" announcement or is everyone playing that hip, new jump-to-conclusions game?

There's been no such announcement. Last word was they wanted to include them but haven't figured out the practicalities yet. The 360 release was put back until next year in order to sort that out, so I'm sure they'll come up with something.

RavenFox

Banned
McDragon said:
Don't worry guys, the Xbox 360 ultimate will feature multi disc switcher, no more changing discs manually!

4mb7cw5.jpg

lol
:lol

Philthy

nategc said:
it will sell more then the ps3 version thats for sure....i'm all up for keyboard and mouse support and more maps, but i'm not blind.

After Epic screwing the GoW 360 buyers by not giving the PC extra content, I'm not so sure 360 owners are looking forward to another Epic game on their system. Epic is at the bottom of developers right now as far as I'm concerned. What a rip.

I still can't believe I spent $60 for something that amounted to nothing more than a five hour tech demo.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
PhatSaqs said:
Hey here's an idea. Lets announce a gimped version of UT3 for 360 that'll come out later than the definitive (console) version. We'll make MILLIONS and laugh all the way to the bank!!!! :lol
Not like there's any better choice in the matter.

Ashhong

You know, why don't consoles use disk changers? That would be pretty cool if we could store multiple disks in the system at a time. Obviously size is a huge issue though, so no go...

RavenFox

Banned
Ashhong said:
You know, why don't consoles use disk changers? That would be pretty cool if we could store multiple disks in the system at a time. Obviously size is a huge issue though, so no go...
You mean a disc based scuzzy server machine?

theBishop

Banned
gamerecks said:
My brother is boycotting Epic because to him, "Epic betrayed Microsoft by signing an exclusivity deal with Sony".

Looks like no Gears 2 for him.

Your brother needs to get a life.

Avalon

Philthy said:
After Epic screwing the GoW 360 buyers by not giving the PC extra content, I'm not so sure 360 owners are looking forward to another Epic game on their system. Epic is at the bottom of developers right now as far as I'm concerned. What a rip.

I still can't believe I spent $60 for something that amounted to nothing more than a five hour tech demo.

Would the average Xbox 360 owner even know about it?

Philthy

Avalon said:
Would the average Xbox 360 owner even know about it?

Who knows, everyone has the internet and news spreads around easily enough. It's not like gaming news with Mark and Cliffy spouting off is some elite secret that only Gaffers know about. When Mark opens his mouth pretty much everyone cringes.

Rezbit

UT3 better scale well or I'll be pissed off. I'm not playing this on a console. UT belongs on PC, the Unreal ports and Unreal Championship games have all been wank.

Mojovonio said:
They may as well just make this a PS3 exclusive at this point.
What's the point?

Have any of you folks thought that the maps that they're going to can for the 360 might be shit maps?

I'm not trying to play total damage control here and it does suck that the content is reduced, but seriously, everyone is playing this like Epic is a two tiered software company. One for PC and Xbox 360 (ala Gears) and one for PC and PS3 (ala UT3).

Mark Rein is most likely stating all of this to get fanboys on both sides of the isle up in arms. I mean hell, look at what happened with the release of the Bioshock demo for JUST the 360? Also, this is gaf.....

Cheeto

Rezbit said:
UT3 better scale well or I'll be pissed off. I'm not playing this on a console. UT belongs on PC, the Unreal ports and Unreal Championship games have all been wank.
It should, it always has. All comic-con demos were running on 7800GTX cards, so I think that says something.

FFChris

Mojovonio said:
They may as well just make this a PS3 exclusive at this point.

Yup, that's what was originally intended anyway. But the can't afford not to tap into the 360 owners willingness to buy loads of games, they know it will do well on the 360.

Mojovonio

Banned
VictimOfGrief said:
What's the point?

Have any of you folks thought that the maps that they're going to can for the 360 might be shit maps?

I'm not trying to play total damage control here and it does suck that the content is reduced, but seriously, everyone is playing this like Epic is a two tiered software company. One for PC and Xbox 360 (ala Gears) and one for PC and PS3 (ala UT3).

Mark Rein is most likely stating all of this to get fanboys on both sides of the isle up in arms. I mean hell, look at what happened with the release of the Bioshock demo for JUST the 360? Also, this is gaf.....

Yeah, Mark Rein publicly stated something on the record just to piss GAF off.

My problem is that Rein keeps bitching about the 360 and how MS is screwing them over, yet he depends on MS for Gears of War 2, which really, will be their best selling game ever.

Once Gears 2 gets announced, Rein will start praising MS again.

Top Bottom