• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D Blu Ray movies - Let your voice be heard when comparing them to 3D cinema movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojan X

Banned
The first 3D cinema movie that I watched was BEOWULF and I couldn't believe just how amazing the quality was. Right from the title screen first appeared in the movie with the water appearing so close to me, to the rain of arrows fell from the sky. From watching that movie, it definitely shows that 3D movies are definitely the way to go if done right! I still got the 3D glasses that I got for free from the cinema - none of that red and blue 1980's stuff here, just good old seemless clear glass appearance to do the job.

Then I hear that 3D movies are coming on Blu-Ray; some of these movies have a pair of 3D glasses bundled in. So my question is this... I believe many of you have already seen 3D movies like BEOWULF in the cinemas and probably was awestruck like I was. My question is, how does the 3D Blu-Ray movies compared to what's done in the cinema? Is the exactly the same quality but on a smaller screen? I got a 46'' TV so will I be awestruck once again or do I have to leave the 3D treat to the cinemas only?

The only experience I have with a 3D Blu-ray was when I had to review the Hannah Montana concert Blu-ray. It came with the red/blue glasses, which turned everything 3D and various shades of purple. Probably not the best of measuring sticks... so it'll probably depend on what sort of glasses come with the movie.

I'm nearsighted and have problems with depth perception, so I have to wear these over contacts or my regular glasses. Needless to say, I usually end up with a headache and don't really enjoy the whole 3-D thing.

Still, Nightmare Before Christmas in 3-D was pretty cool, but all I remember being especially impressive were the jack in the box at the beginning and the snowflakes at the end.

jett

D-Member
JzeroT1437 said:
I'm nearsighted and have problems with depth perception, so I have to wear these over contacts or my regular glasses. Needless to say, I usually end up with a headache and don't really enjoy the whole 3-D thing.

This. People like us will NEVER be able to enjoy 3D movies, or watch them as they were meant to...which is why I hope it never catches on. :p 2D fo life.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
The 3d BRD movies do not use the same technology as 3d theaters AT ALL. sorry, but the studios came out with the 3d movie theaters as an incentive to get people to go to the theater to watch movies.

Also, I think the technology makes it pretty prohibitive to a home theater.

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
I guess this topic pretty directly applies to me, as I saw Journey to the Center of the Earth in 3D at the cinema and picked up the 3D BD of this movie.

Lets just say, having to watch the movie in green and blue (for the BD version) blows goats.

On the otherhand, when I watched at the theatre, which wasn't terribly bright to begin with, although things were in color, I was getting nauseous from just how dark everything was.

3D effect is considerably better at the theatre, but not earth shatteringly so. The BD version is extremely distracting, having the red and green flashing between each other, especially in whiter areas.

In conclusion, while they haven't developed the 3D Blu-ray spec that uses polarised lenses, or somehow gives a normal color viewing in 3D, the only 3D movies you'll find are the old school colored lenses, which makes it only good for a gimmick and trying out 3D cinema, but you wouldn't want to watch an entire film like that.

NR1

I don't know if it was just the movie theater I was in or what, but I saw Beowulf in 3D, and it royally blew. It was awful. It was like the image wanted to jump off the screen, but utterly failed at it. The image was doubled and the image only barely came out of the screen. Imagine a pop-up book, except the images only pop up half way, blur it, and double image that. Ugh... To make matters worse, the film was completely unwatachable without the glasses.

I wasn't the only one that felt this way either. I listened to the reactions of the audience in the theater for the "gasps" and "wows" when certain scenes came up that were clearly designed with "wow factor effect" for the 3D shots, and I heard no such reactions. It must have been the theater set up...

I have no idea... if anyone here as seen the Terminator 3D attraction at Universal Studios, then you know that "THAT" is what 3D film should look like. It has been years since I have seen that, and I am still just blown away by what I saw.

jett

D-Member
NR1 said:
I don't know if it was just the movie theater I was in or what, but I saw Beowulf in 3D, and it royally blew. It was awful. It was like the image wanted to jump off the screen, but utterly failed at it. The image was doubled and the image only barely came out of the screen. Imagine a pop-up book, except the images only pop up half way, blur it, and double image that. Ugh... To make matters worse, the film was completely unwatachable without the glasses.

My exact impressions from watching Journey to the Center of the Earth in 3D. Do you wear glasses btw?

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
JzeroT1437 said:

Is your depth perception issue related to your myopia? I'm myopic and astigmatic and Beowulf 3D IMAX caused no problems whatsoever.

Trojan X

Banned
NR1 said:
I have no idea... if anyone here as seen the Terminator 3D attraction at Universal Studios, then you know that "THAT" is what 3D film should look like. It has been years since I have seen that, and I am still just blown away by what I saw.

Oh yes, I forgotten about that one. It was incredible and, again, it used glasses that was seemed quite clear. Granted that BEOWULF technically wasn't earth shattering like Terminator, but I won't denounce to an impression of a movie that should never be watched. It was definitely still very cool.

NR1

jett said:
My exact impressions from watching Journey to the Center of the Earth in 3D. Do you wear glasses btw?

I used to wear glasses. I got Lasik Eye surgery a few years ago (maybe 4 or 5 years now...?). I can't imagine that being the problem. Like I said, I have seen 3D films before, like the Terminator attraction at Universal Studios. Now at that time, I was wearing glasses and I didn't have a problem.

I have also seen "Bugs! A Rainforest Adventure" in IMAX 3D back in 2003. I recall that being very impressive too, and again, I was wearing glasses at that time.

The only major difference between Terminator/ Bugs! and Beowulf was the screen size. Beowulf was on a standard theater screen, while the other two were IMAX.

onesvenus

Well, I'd like to be proven wrong but when I heard for the first time that there were gonna be 3d blu-rays I thought it was a stupid idea.
Even if the polarised projection could be replicated on a tv (I can't think how...) there's always gonna be the problem about the size of the screen. It works on the cinema because you practically have all your field of view viewing 3D, I can't even think which sensation would you have when viewing 3D on a 46 inch screen, of course the depth perception would be greatly reduced.

The first 3D movie I saw was "Journey... 3D" and I thought it was nice but it felt like little more than a gimmick to me. I don't see myself adopting that system as a standard as even though the 3D effect is decent it's not believable or immersive at all. It may be new technology but the googles thing feels quite archaic, it's just an evolution of the old blue/red glasses solution.

Phobophile said:
Is your depth perception issue related to your myopia? I'm myopic and astigmatic and Beowulf 3D IMAX caused no problems whatsoever.

Nope--just normal near-sightedness. Had whatever that test is that photographs the back of your eyeball a few months ago and everything's normal aside from a generalized impaired vision--probably a result of staring at the sun and crap like that when I was a kid. I wouldn't have done it if my mom hadn't told me I couldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom