• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Battery Life Fully Detailed By Nintendo

Luigiv

Damn, I was sure 3-5 hours would have been variance in just the highest setting. :S

I don't even know how it's possible for the system to be performing that low, given what the specs most likely are.

antonz

3rd Parties will have batteries out in no time that are better capacity. Maybe another 500mAH or so to fit within the casing but like the DSi they will make much larger capacity batteries too and release a custom bottom plate for those who opt for such

Medalion

Banned
Despite my teasing... I know I will still get one cuz I am glutton for punishment

I've never played a portable system for more than an hour straight anyways

Foffy said:
Wasn't the major bonus for the DSL that it actually showcased the real colors of the games? The original model showed off faded colors due to the backlight.

Pretty much this made me realize the big difference (along with brighter backlights). Which made me pretty much crave for a DS lite, I just hope the difference won't be this big for the 3ds. I will be an early adopter as i was with the original (those batteries didnt last me more than 5 hours I will say).

Brightness and battery life has always appealed me the most with portable devices. It is a bit ironic that despite the 3ds being worse in terms of battery life I am still interested. I don't game as much as I used to and when I do its usually in short bursts when attending University. Playing games for 5 hours on a flight is tiring anyways, so I will be fine without it. The main concern is how it always has to be plugged in whenever I play regularly.

Yoboman

AzureJericho said:
How did we go from Game Boy's "OMG too long" battery times on goddamned AA batteries (in comparison) to two portable consoles that could wind up with 5 - 6 hours tops? *Sigh*

Cheeky I know, but seriously. :|
Technology advances, batteries haven't (much).

neoanarch

Kard8p3 said:
I don't understand the battery complaints. It's not like nintendo can just magically make a better battery appear. Two backlit LCD's plus one that's 3D get's you a fairly low battery life.

Overheating is probably a concern but there is definitely a bigger battery out there that could go into the 3ds.

miksar

Nintendo DSi: The lowest brightness (9-14h) - highest brightness (3-4h)
Nintendo 3DS (3D enabled): The lowest brightness (5h) - highest brightness (3h)
Nintendo 3DS (3D disabled): The lowest brightness (6h15m) - highest brightness (3h45m)

Judging by this the lowest setting on 3DS is not low enough or I'm missing something.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
miksar said:
Nintendo 3DS (3D disabled): The lowest brightness (6h15m) - highest brightness (3h45m)

Judging by this the lowest setting on 3DS is not low enough or I'm missing something.
You are missing the battery saving mode. But yes, the 3DS has a significant bigger battery than the DSi.

Medalion

Banned
miksar said:

The WIFI on constantly would bring it down too

antonz

brings up an interesting question. Since we know 3-5 is accurate the 5-8 for DS games is too. Whats causing such a massive hit in DS gameplay. Perhaps the system doesnt enter a DS mode like the Wii does Gamecube and we still get OS operation etc.

miksar

Lonely1 said:
You are missing the battery saving mode. But yes, the 3DS has a significant bigger battery than the DSi.
On the highest the difference with power save mode turned off and on is about half an hour, on the lowest it is several minutes. Not a big deal.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well my commutes are 30-40 minutes long so I will be able to make a day without needing to charge, but I will probably carry a charger with me just in case.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm still a little bit confused.

When I measured it by playing several Nintendo games, with the backlight set to the brightest level and the power save mode turned off, battery duration was about three hours.
I'm assuming that this is an estimation with 3D on, right?

Umezu: Right. What's more, with the backlight set as high as it will go, battery life changes about 25% according to whether you're playing in 2D or 3D.
And this means that if we turn off 3D we'd get a %25 boost at those settings, right? so roughly 3.75 hours.

And if you set the backlight to the darkest setting, the battery lasts five hours, but the power save mode makes less of a difference then.
Again, I'm assuming the 3D is on, and we'll get a boost when it's turned off, right? but the "%25" statement is phrased in a way that suggests that we may not get the same boost under different settings. Is it gonna be a lower boost, or higher?

Has anyone confirmed that we'll be able to squeeze out "8 hours (6.5 hours with WiFi on constantly)" or are we still guessing?

Yeesh.

snesfreak

Banned
Battery life is not really a problem for me, since I don't take my DS many places now as it is.
I did take it on a Greyhound bus down to Florida once (that fucking sucked btw), but just used it to listen to music.
When I'm playing games it'll be plugged in 90% of the time. I can see that it's battery life is not great, but I'm still getting a 3DS day one (or 2 or 3 or whenever Amazon gets it to me.)

antonz

Jinfash said:

And this means that if we turn off 3D we'd get a %25 boost at those settings, right? so roughly 3.75 hours.

Again, I'm assuming the 3D is on, and will have get a boost when it's turned off, right? but that statement is phrased in a way that suggests it won't get the same %25 boost. Is it gonna be a lower boost, or higher?

Has anyone confirmed that we'll be able to squeeze out "8 hours (6.5 hours with WiFi on constantly)" or are we still guessing?

Yeesh.
What they are saying is if you turn down the brightness to the lowest the dynamic brightness adjusting system is pretty much useless so it wont save energy like it would on max brightness. you get the extra battery life turning off 3D whatever level of brightness you use

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
The 3DS being an IMR and the NGP being a TBDR already addressed the battery life issue.

It'll also address the price issue, so don't act surprised when the difference does not follow the prevailing ignorance around here.

Amir0x

Banned
oh so that initial estimate was totally true and nobody was kneejerking at all by correctly assuming Nintendo listed the correct battery life on their own page?

Fascinating. A dosing of double crow is a rarity.

SmokeMaxX

Lazy8s said:
The 3DS being an IMR and the NGP being a TBDR already addressed the battery life issue.

It'll also address the price issue, so don't act surprised when the difference does not follow the prevailing ignorance around here.
Uh... English?

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Amir0x said:
oh so that initial estimate was totally true and nobody was kneejerking at all by correctly assuming Nintendo listed the correct battery life on their own page?

Fascinating. A dosing of double crow is a rarity.

Love it. Company being honest, and people kick back (a) at their estimate and (b) at their being honest. EDIT: oh, and (c) at the battery life!

Really this doesn't worry me much, if at all. I very rarely play even 2 hours continuously on a handheld, and even if I'm out of the house I don't think I've ever played that long continously and away from a power socket.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i'm sure we had this argument in 2004, but i still don't know how people are managing to play their handhelds for more than a few hours between charging opportunities -- i thought the whole fuss over psp's battery life was console politics, but apparently not. surely it's not just the inconvenience of having to charge your machine every day or two -- and if you've got a smartphone, you're used to this by now.

given that battery life is a tradeoff with insignificant factors like, i don't know, processing power and screen brightness, i think 3-5 hours is exactly where hardware designers should be shooting

Mojojo said:
Pokemon 3DS : "Gotta Catch' Em All before the battery runs out"

Majora's Mask 3DS: Now with twice the time obstacles! Can Link save the world in three days? Or will he succumb to shithouse battery life? Only $39.99!

Jinfash said:

Again, I'm assuming the 3D is on, and we'll get a boost when it's turned off, right? but that statement is phrased in a way that suggests it won't get the same %25 boost. Is it gonna be a lower boost, or higher?

Yeesh.

That was my guess based on the "25% boost" and David Yarnton's previous comments where he said that the console lasts about 8 hours without 3D.

I'm also assuming lowest brightness (since we don't know exactly how much extra is saved on highest brightness)

KamenSenshi

Actually would prefer a larger size with better battery life. Thought I would wait for a revision but hearing that it way be a while before that happens is pushing me closer to just reserving one today now that its been confirmed what the battery life is like. Just gotta find out what the size is like compared to a Lite since thats about the smallest I'm willing to go. Anyone here hold one at an event that could comment, especially if SSF4 was played as that would be my first purchase.

The battery life is a little disappointing but not a deal braker, its unlikely I'd use 3d when on the bus far too bumpy and most trains I go on usually have a plug socket

I'm used to not charging my DS for stupidly long periods of time. 4-5 hours is definitely putting me off this. I travel on trains for about 3 hours a day.

Don't think I'm going to be an early adopter of the 3DS. I was all up for it, but it's not looking so good at the minute.

SmokeMaxX said:
Uh... English?

TBDR = tile-based deferred rendering (aka PowerVR in the PSP2)
IMR = not sure, but almost certainly referring to the GPU in the 3DS

I think the point he's making is that the difference in GPU solutions accounts for the difference in battery and likely cost (with the insinuation that the PSP2 price will be lower than expected?)

VOOK said:
eneloop_stick_booster_1.jpg

Buy one of these and be done with it.

These things are the future if battery tech doesn't catch up with everything else real quick.

Where can I buy this eneloop stick? Amazon hasn't heard of it.

I can't recall if I complained about this back in the original thread, but hey, even if I did there's no reason not to do so again:

3-5 hours of battery is an awful, awful figure. It sucked on the PSP, it will suck on the 3DS and if the PSP2 numbers are right, it will suck on the PSP2. Battery life should always take priority in handheld design.

Nice going Nintendo. You've screwed up almost everything I care about in the hardware of the 3DS. Anything else?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
_Alkaline_ said:
Nintendo: Yeah, we fucked up.

which would you rather, 3D or a long battery life?

given that it sounds like this is very much the case.

catfish said:
which would you rather, 3D or a long battery life?

given that it sounds like this is very much the case.

Cosmetic bullshit vs. actual functionality?

I'll be taking the functionality, thanks.

LM4sure

Banned
So the 3ds and psp2 are dead on arrival. No one will buy either handheld with battery lives like these!! Guess we'll have to wait for the 3dslite and psp2 go.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Pureauthor said:
Cosmetic bullshit vs. actual functionality?

I'll be taking the functionality, thanks.

Oh, OK, 3d with no glasses is cosmetic bullshit? Well then you can just switch 3d completely off right?
Not that i'm impressed with the battery life at all. But as handhelds get more powerful and battery tech refuses to improve, Nintendo and Sony aren't magic. Don't expect the PSP2 to be any better in this regard unless they put a mini nuclear reactor in there.

catfish said:
Oh, OK, 3d with no glasses is cosmetic bullshit? Well then you can just switch 3d completely off right?

Actually, that you can switch it off is exactly why this is going to be cosmetic bullshit - no game can take full advantage of it from a gameplay standpoint. Or at least not for long.

Not that i'm impressed with the battery life at all. But as handhelds get more powerful and battery tech refuses to improve, Nintendo and Sony aren't magic. Don't expect the PSP2 to be any better in this regard unless they put a mini nuclear reactor in there.

Then stop making the handhelds more powerful. Tada.

LM4sure

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Then stop making the handhelds more powerful. Tada.

Then what's the point of coming out with a new handheld then? The ds is the most successful handheld ever. Why not just keep releasing games on that and be done with it? I still play my ds almost daily, and there are still great games coming out several years after it launched.

they should just release a longer lasting battery as an official accessory. So for those that want it, they just unscrew the old for the new. I assume everything is done to keep the RRP within a certain budget. I applaud that. Accessibility for Nintendo consoles has always held a certain amount of importance post N64.

LM4sure said:
Then what's the point of coming out with a new handheld then? The ds is the most successful handheld ever. Why not just keep releasing games on that and be done with it? I still play my ds almost daily, and there are still great games coming out several years after it launched.

Technology can improve without having to go overboard. Nintendo clearly did not pay enough attention to ensuring a healthy battery life in this console.

As for Sony, their strategy is just fucked. Yes Sony, keep making ridiculously powerful machines at ridiculously expensive prices because that's exactly what made the PSP/PS3 such a success.

Rich!

That eneloop stick would be perfect for my HTC phone (battery life is shocking).

Where can I buy one in the UK? My google searches do nothing.

edit - JP only so far? Found it on amazon.co.jp. Works out under £20 with shipping...pretty good.

BitchTits

5 hours on darkest screen setting? lol

The original DS was fugly just like 3DS. This just sets the stage for 3DS Lite, they know it, we know it.

Top Bottom