• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS December Update Detailed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mik2121

The rest of the stuff on the touch screen is great, and the whole concept is awesome. I just find that having to press that d-pad to move the camera while also pressing other buttons just doesn't work. For one, it's slow. Also, it's about as easy to use as those virtual d-pads on iOS/Android games.

But that was for me, anyway. And they're releasing that extra analog stick attachment for a reason (that reason being that the virtual d-pad is just bad).

Yep.

Not from the home screen or Menu -> Add Funds, but when trying to make a purchase with an insufficent amount in your wallet and going Add Funds from there. There's an option in the bottom right called "Required Amount Only".

Nintendo just won me over with the system now. This was my only real personal gripe, and so now that it's been handled, its off to the e-shop for me. Right on time for Mighty Switch Force too :^)

Insaniac

The rest of the stuff on the touch screen is great, and the whole concept is awesome. I just find that having to press that d-pad to move the camera while also pressing other buttons just doesn't work. For one, it's slow. Also, it's about as easy to use as those virtual d-pads on iOS/Android games.

But that was for me, anyway. And they're releasing that extra analog stick attachment for a reason (that reason being that the virtual d-pad is just bad).

the over all touchscreen hud is gonna be fully customizable anyway when mh3g comes out. I became quite used to using the dpad as camera controls while playing mh3 so I am assuming I am gonna be quite used to using the touch screen controls

Mik2121

the over all touchscreen hud is gonna be fully customizable anyway when mh3g comes out. I became quite used to using the dpad as camera controls while playing mh3 so I am assuming I am gonna be quite used to using the touch screen controls

Oh no, you can even use the actual d-pad on the 3DS as camera (though you obviously won't, because it's right below the analog stick), and I know you can customize the touch screen, but the virtual d-pad is, well.. virtual. If you've played any touch-screen games that feature d-pads you probably can get an idea. Now make it even worse, given the fact that you're constantly pressing buttons somewhere else and you need to go back to the touch screen and press the virtual d-pad to move the camera around for a second, then go back to the action.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Did I just count around 50+ hats waiting to be unlocked? I expected some new ones, but not this many. I am not worthy!
I can't wait for the Valve-Nintendo merger so we can transfer hats back and forth. Hats!

Unless 3DS becomes an unprecedented smash hit and people bother to use StreetPass in my town, I'll have to go to another Zelda concert for the hats and puzzles ;//

M3d10n

Oh no, you can even use the actual d-pad on the 3DS as camera (though you obviously won't, because it's right below the analog stick), and I know you can customize the touch screen, but the virtual d-pad is, well.. virtual. If you've played any touch-screen games that feature d-pads you probably can get an idea. Now make it even worse, given the fact that you're constantly pressing buttons somewhere else and you need to go back to the touch screen and press the virtual d-pad to move the camera around for a second, then go back to the action.

The bolded part also applies to a second analog stick.

Unless 3DS becomes an unprecedented smash hit and people bother to use StreetPass in my town, I'll have to go to another Zelda concert for the hats and puzzles ;//
Just do what I do and take that sucker with you everywhere, whether or not you play it. Got 200 play coins saved up that have suddenly become useful again with this update.

Mik2121

The bolded part also applies to a second analog stick.

An analog stick is 'physical', you don't need to be able to tell where it is, and it's easy to move around, which is important when you only got a couple seconds to move the camera around. A virtual d-pad isn't. You don't know if you're pressing left or down or what, unless you look at it or move your finger around for a bit until you can tell what's going on.

Jasconius

Sad that they didn't have these "accomplishments" in for Mii Plaza this year. Would have a whole bunch more than 25, but I guess I'll have to wait until the next convention I go to! I'm actually kind of surprised that I only have people from 25 states so far, too. I'm a sucker for anything with maps so now it will be even more fun playing with this at conventions. ;p

besiktas1

I'm going to give it a week by then I hope someone finds the best way (good quality minimum file size) to convert videos. My dream of 3D avatar on the go is almost a reality...

Mafro

Dunno why they can't let you use Mii's from Mario Kart 7 in Find Mii. I've only ever had two StreetPasses since launch day and I got fed up of saving up and wasting coins on Miis that just flee battle. Same goes for wasting coins on duplicate puzzle pieces.

Yep.

Not from the home screen or Menu -> Add Funds, but when trying to make a purchase with an insufficent amount in your wallet and going Add Funds from there. There's an option in the bottom right called "Required Amount Only".

YYYYEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally!

This update is all around awesome!

Streetpass Plaza update is amazing BTW! Soooo happy that they added an option to listen to the soundtrack, always was sad that I couldn't hear the old music after getting more people! Street Pass Quest 2 is already epic! The gameplay is quite different from the last one (very cool that you can recruit past encounters. I have 330 odd Miis ready and raring to go!) The achievement accomplishment for seeing 100 Miis in a single day is just nuts though, I'm never gonna be that lucky! There's a metric ton of new content and neat little touches (like the seasons changing as your character walks on the Puzzle Swap screen :D

Video recording quality is surprisingly good too. Seems better than the quality for pictures! We need a 3D video depository for viewing on the 3DS! (at least, until Youtube 3D inevitably arrives)

Also, the sleep mode downloads are VERY much appreciated! It's basically a background downloading queue (and yes it works even when playing a 3DS game) where it downloads a game while in sleep mode and pauses whenever you open it (you can see the download progress on the gift icon itself) It doesn't work when you're playing a game online though (so you can't be playing online in Mario Kart, put it in sleep mode and have it download in the background). It also doesn't work while playing an original DS/DSi game (Well DUUUHHH!!!)

BTW: I'm shocked that I've already met people from 20 different countries and I've filled in every region in the UK except for Wales and Northern Ireland! - didn't realise that I got so far already! :D

Other little things I've noticed.

You can now do face merging on the 3DS menu, instead of having to load up the camera app. The QR code reader is there too (speaking of which, it doesn't recognise game specific QR codes. Just web sites and presumably eShop ones. Pretty stupid, it should prompt you to open up the game that the QR code is specific to)

There's a new section in the Data Management menu (3DS Settings) for Add on Content (so it's not counted as Extra Data)

3DS loads up apps/games faster now (no little weird Wii style pauses any more!)

eShop loads up faster (and those weird little sound crackles that you'd sometimes get on the ratings screens are gone now :D )

The eShop game icons now display how many reviews a game has been given, alongside the star rating.

The game pages on the eShop have been redesigned slightly (everything is arranged in a line now and the screen scrolls left and right (probably because of the extra "demo" icon that will eventually appear there)

The "Available in Shops" text has been replaced with "Not available in Nintendo eShop"

You can now set a filter for the New Software arrivals screen (so you can just look at new DSiWare games, or just new VC games etc)

That's no different from a stick though. You still have to reposition your thumb to move the camera around anyway. Maybe you just need to spend a bit of time adjusting the size of the D-pad, to find your preferred size/shape?

Any demos on the European 3DS eShop?

Not as far as I can see :(

Chopper

I just spent 300 coins on Streetpass Quest II, and FUCK
the penultimate room full of flames.

1. Enter flaming room on my 5th character.
2. None are blue. All remaining characters flee.
3. Assume water will put out fires.
4. Spend 3 coins on reusing a blue Streetpass to put out fire, and another 18 to fill my team.
5. Enter room, be told that one person's power is not enough to extinguish fires.
6. Watch all ten of my party retreat. 21 coins completely wasted.
7. Spend another 6 coins on TWO blue Streetpasses.
8. Find out you can't use magic without spending more coins.

I did it, and am now on the last boss (presumably) at about half HP. But it sucked.

Hats I got:

Yoshi
Epona (LOL!)
Donkey Kong
Arwing
Cheeseburger
Pirate

Doesn't seem like it, no. :(
I didn't get it either, and someone else here from Italy also said the same thing. Perhaps in the future...

Well I've never gotten it by walking into any store (which the yanks can do), so I guess Nintendo Zone just isn't available in Europe yet :(

Didn't it take them a while to launch the DS Download kiosks in the EU before, back in the day? Probably will be the same with the 3DS...

AgBpJv4CAAEzm5y.jpg

LOL! I just cracked up when I saw the multiple (and female!) versions of my Mii. Starting it out nice and awkward. Very nice
KuGsj.gif

BTW: Why would I choose any potion other than the Potion of Valour? That thing is busted beyond belief! (Bring back all of the LV 7 characters who ran away?! WHO WOULDN'T?!)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
BTW: Why would I choose any potion other than the Potion of Valour? That thing is busted beyond belief! (Bring back all of the LV 7 characters who ran away?! WHO WOULDN'T?!)

I have no Level 7 heroes since I've never streetpassed someone more than once.

Chopper

You will find, as I did, that the later levels of Quest II are next to impossible without the gas dispersion potions. And they don't work 60% of the time. :(

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
You will find, as I did, that the later levels of Quest II are next to impossible without the gas dispersion potions. And they don't work 60% of the time. :(

What color disperses poison? My entire team ran away from one room that was filled with it. ;_;

Alright, dug the my Red 3DS out of my trunk this morning after it's been in there nearly a month.

Might break the seal on it tonight...though I might just wait until I can find a crystal case for it first.

I just tried to beat StreetPass Quest I again because I hadn't gotten all the hats yet (therefore I can't start StreetPass Quest 2)...

I'm on the dark room and have wasted over 100 coins trying to get a White dog. Ridiculous!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom