• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS demo station @ Best Buy

Went to best buy today and tried it out. I couldn't for the life of me see any 3D, I tried at different distances and different levels of 3D unfortunately after a while I just dropped it to 2D. My desire to own one was diminished after today, but once MGS3D drops i'll be there.

Amir0x

Banned
poweld said:
You're right, I realize I'm a part of the problem. Let me make amends:

My system is being delivered to my office on Tuesday, and I'm already worried about the anxiousness I'm going to be feeling for the second half of the day while I eyeball fuck that little brown box on the corner of my desk.

I got a chance to get a hands-on at PAX, but I'm not going to head to BB to play with it any more. I'll just be waiting 'til Tuesday. Really looking forward to the OT thread explosion starting Saturday night :)

I mainly just worried about that report Skiesofwonder handed down about Gamestop not having enough to fulfill pre-orders. I was the first 3DS pre-order and it's paid in full. I think I would literally flip over a magazine rack if they didn't have one for me.

TheFuryMGS3 said:
but once MGS3D drops i'll be there.

TheFuryMGS3, you're a fan of MGS3? If I didn't know any better, TheFuryMGS3, I'd say that liking MGS3 was a part of your very soul ;)

Nabs

TheFuryMGS3 said:
Went to best buy today and tried it out. I couldn't for the life of me see any 3D, I tried at different distances and different levels of 3D unfortunately after a while I just dropped it to 2D. My desire to own one was diminished after today, but once MGS3D drops i'll be there.
that really sucks

Belfast

marc^o^ said:
Watch how 3D can make you a better gamer:
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/03/watch-how-3d-on-nintendos-3ds-can-make-you-a-better-gamer/

This video shows irrefutably how 3D allows to see more of the playing field.

Sounds like bullshit. I mean, not the result, but more that it "makes you a better gamer" and the fact that this effect couldn't be achieved through other means (i.e. panning the camera out).

Any supposed gameplay benefit seems so tiny that it may as well not even be considered.

Gravijah

TheFuryMGS3 said:

so sad :(

Amir0x said:
I mainly just worried about that report Skiesofwonder handed down about Gamestop not having enough to fulfill pre-orders. I was the first 3DS pre-order and it's paid in full. I think I would literally flip over a magazine rack if they didn't have one for me.

TheFuryMGS3, you're a fan of MGS3? If I didn't know any better, TheFuryMGS3, I'd say that liking MGS3 was a part of your very soul ;)

Play through it twice a year, It is kind of my trip to Mecca. I am bummed about 3D but MGS3 on the go will be epic

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Belfast said:
Sounds like bullshit. I mean, not the result, but more that it "makes you a better gamer" and the fact that this effect couldn't be achieved through other means (i.e. panning the camera out).

Any supposed gameplay benefit seems so tiny that it may as well not even be considered.

Well, a bigger viewing angle without the need of a bigger screen? I wouldnt call that "bullshit" though. I mean its not that huge but still, it keeps the 3D above a merely cosmetical thing.
And zooming out isnt the same. You still can zoom out AND have the wider viewing angle through 3D. Its like saying the transition from 4:3 to 16:9 on TV/PC screens was unimportant ,because movies/games could have just zoomed further out.

Amir0x

Banned
TheFuryMGS3 said:
Play through it twice a year, It is kind of my trip to Mecca. I am bummed about 3D but MGS3 on the go will be epic

Yeah, MGS3 is my favorite MGS. I'm not quite sure if I'll get it, but if they add enough I may

Amir0x said:
Yeah, MGS3 is my favorite MGS. I'm not quite sure if I'll get it, but if they add enough I may

I am personally worried that we will get a slimmed down version that is built for pick up and play, the reason I love the MGS games is the options in gameplay

TheFuryMGS3 said:
I am personally worried that we will get a slimmed down version that is built for pick up and play, the reason I love the MGS games is the options in gameplay
I doubt it will be too slimmed down. The concern I have is we'll probably get the vanilla version than Subsistence, but this does not bother me too much, since I liked the vanilla version just fine.

God, the first time I played that game. I remember sitting in my room at night, fighting the Fury, and sniper rifling his head with my back against the wall as he slowly stomped forward to kill me.

Gravijah

Shame time: I played through MGS3 on Easy. I'm not even sure why, I don't think I could deal with the camera or the infinitely spawning enemies.

Amir0x

Banned
i wouldn't mind the vanilla version if they added some other type of new stuff not found in Subsistence AND they kept the new camera in place :p

Gravijah said:
Shame time: I played through MGS3 on Easy. I'm not even sure why, I don't think I could deal with the camera or the infinitely spawning enemies.

Camera on vanilla was a pain, but the best gameplay moments came from having to think fast and deal with low amounts of ammo and equipment.

Gravijah said:
They're not infinitely spawning!

I know this because I went on a "kill every single guard" run once.

At a certain point, they just run out. This made the "battle" against The Sorrow hilarious.

B.K.

I don't know if I could ever play Metal Gear Solid 3 again. The fight with The End almost made me give up on the game the first time I played it.

Boney

Banned
Gravijah said:
I must rectify it. Gonna play MGS3 3DS on a higher difficulty and reclaim my honor!
Or you know.. go play in European Extreme right now...

speaking of trying out this damn thing, I was thinking going on friday because tomorow is such a busy day, but now my mates are planning to throw like a bbq party so now i'm gonna be all oh shit why am i here i'm supposed to be playing 3ds so i can tell gaf

this sucks

B.K. said:
I don't know if I could ever play Metal Gear Solid 3 again. The fight with The End almost made me give up on the game the first time I played it.
There is a way to cheese that fight.

Some people even do it unintentionally.

Aeana

I just blow him up on the pier and continue on merrily, because I can't beat him when you're supposed to, either. The first time I played, I did the PS2 clock trick.

hayejin

Finally played the demo at Best Buy.

I thought the 3D effect was pretty neat and found it to be great. I just wish the 3D screen was a little bigger.

Boney

Banned
Sooooo I went to play this thing today. Sadly, there were no games to display, so I only had the chance to try the AR games and the camara, so that was a bummer.

Well first things first, the nub is amazing, buttons are good, d-pad is a little low for my liking and start and select button suck balls.

Blue is pretty neat, it's just an unusual color for an electronic, that's why I like it, black is just black, looks ok.

Touch screen is kinda small since I'm used to my lite, but it looks good.

Now the 3d screen was weird for me. It was turned to full blast when I went towards it, and looked blurry and stuff, and then the girl wouldn't hand me the thing so it looked all fuzzy from the side as she was telling me the stuff. After a bit, she gave it to me and started messing around. The Dragon game was already on, it was fun, played well. I had a bit of trouble adjusting to the 3d screen at first, so I had to lower it almost inmediatly. Around the middle, it looked good. The added depth was really something to behold, but moving it around was hard to see, and it kinda strained my eyes. Not to mention the damn cable was kinda short and it got stuck a few times. So I liked the effect, but I had some trouble looking at it. Gonna have to test it well to make a good veredict though. Colors were definately a bit dimmer in 3d, at least in power saving mode.

I went with a friend who had absolutely no trouble seeing it and loved it though.

hayejin said:
I just wish the 3D screen was a little bigger.

I'm sure you can compensate by having it closer to your face, which you can comfortably do when you have your own unit.

I demoed a 3D TV in a store today (LG FullHD LCD with glasses), it was playing some NASA footage of astronauts messing around in Zero G inside and outside the space station. I really liked the effect! The depth was great, didn't feel like layers as I experienced in Avatar at the theater, and the colors/brightness was also very good. I thought "If 3DS gives me the same effect I'll be happy, but I wonder if the small screen will diminish the effect."

One thing that really surprised me was how well the "pop up" worked. The people were throwing things towards the camera (floating in zero gravity) and the objects kept getting closer until they appeared to literally hit the glasses I was wearing. I think that's one area 3DS probably can't match.

Another strange thing I noticed was a perspective shift in the scene when I moved my head sideways. I'm sure it wasn't doing proper parallax scrolling but I was almost fooled that it was. Is this standard in all glasses 3D tech? I thought it was neat.

I got to try it today. I'm unsure of what I think. The 3D worked well enough, but I'm worried about how easy it will be to hold the system at a certain angle for the duration of playing. I don't know. I'll probably end up getting on anyway for MML3.

I got to try it out today and unfortunately the only thing I could play on it was pilot wings resort. I could see the 3D for about a minute or two, but after a while I felt like I was suffering from double vision where I was guiding doubled planes into doubled rings.

At that point, I slid the slider to turn off the effect. I had to have my head closer to the unit than was comfortable to get the 3D effect since the unit was fixed to a display. Overall, the 3D effect was a huge strain on my eyes, which is a little disappointing.

The analog nub was pretty comfortable.

I guess I can wait for the lite version that I hope has much improved battery life/recharge times.

Top Bottom