• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS : hackers found a way to get rid of region-locking

Crayolan

I happen to have an not-updated 3DS lying around, so this'll be useful when I go to Japan. The Wii U will still be a problem though. :/

Koppai

Hopefully they figure out how to get around the new update soon. I really wanna play EX Troopers.

I'm assuming you don't have a PS3 already, or you just want to play on 3DS only. I've thought about importing the game but I don't know Japanese so I think it would interfere with my ability to enjoy the game. <_>;

I loved that the Wii was hacked I imported Disaster, Another Code R, Taiko, Captain Rainbow, TatsuCap (when it first came out back in 2008), Let's Tap, Fatal Frame 4 (played with a translation patch!). I still need to get Fatal Frame 2 from Europe.

What are people trying to play that they can't in their own region?

SMT4 and I'm guessing Persona when it is released (or not released for PAL....)

But it isn't just about playing games, it is more about having the choice of where to buy them.

Unfortunately I'm well past that firmware version so I'll continue to save my money for another day.

SOLD. Culdcept 3ds has a european release thats supposed to be coming once the DLC stops coming in. As soon as this happens I'm on this and buying a cart. I dont have the money to throw at a second Euro console.

WHAAAT?

Nice that it'll be playable in English. Holy shit I wasn't expecting that at all.
Pity I have a NA system with up to date FW :(

Anth0ny

I just remembered I still have a Zelda 3DS (the OOT one) still in it's box. That might be 4.5 or below.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Nintendo should just get rid of this bs Region Lock already
LLShC.gif

I'm not sure why anyone would think that this would make Nintendo's region lock stance stronger. If anything they may realize it's not worth the risk of hackers continuing to try find ways around it which may lead to piracy.

I'm not saying that stuff like this will make them drop it but it definitely won't make them dig their heels in deeper. IIRC the whole reason for region lock in the first place was to give them the ability to have different digital stores for each region. I'm not sure if that's a security issue or some other technical issue but I'm sure there are better ways to deal with it than region locks.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
I'd like Puyo Puyo Tetris on a handheld and buying a Vita or second 3DS is out of the question, so I hope that they get this working on current firmware sooner than later.

n64coder

I dunno what the situation with 3DS's is (but if they have a copyright of 2012 or earlier on the box its probably okay).
You can't go by copyright date. You have to look at serial numbers. There's a page over at gbatemp that gives tips on how to find older systems. In the US, this means looking for a blue/red/pink system with serial number beginning with SW12 or something like that.

I'm not sure why anyone would think that this would make Nintendo's region lock stance stronger. If anything they may realize it's not worth the risk of hackers continuing to try find ways around it which may lead to piracy.

I'm not saying that stuff like this will make them drop it but it definitely won't make them dig their heels in deeper. IIRC the whole reason for region lock in the first place was to give them the ability to have different digital stores for each region. I'm not sure if that's a security issue or some other technical issue but I'm sure there are better ways to deal with it than region locks.
Nintendo could have different region eShop locks without making the cartridges region locked. It's pathetic, especially as they more or less pioneered handheld region free in the first place with Gameboy due to the whole portable nature of the device. They just got too fucking greedy.

Mr. RPG

I came in here thinking I could finally play Dragon Quest VII on my 3DS, then was dissapointed. I just updated to the latest version.

I'm so sad. I just want to play Dragon Quest VII on my 3DS. Why is that so hard for Square-Enix and Nintendo? Just release the GAME OR GET RID OF REGION LOCKING.

Edit: Is there no way to downgrade and then upgrade again?

I do not know where else to ask this question, so I apologize if this question is a bit off-topic:

After this whole NNID integration onto the 3DS, is it not possible for me to change my "State" on the 3DS to evade NY state taxes when buying things from the eShop?

t26

I came in here thinking I could finally play Dragon Quest VII on my 3DS, then was dissapointed. I just updated to the latest version.

I'm so sad. I just want to play Dragon Quest VII on my 3DS. Why is that so hard for Square-Enix and Nintendo? Just release the GAME OR GET RID OF REGION LOCKING.

Edit: Is there no way to downgrade and then upgrade again?

If you just updated then no.

I do not know where else to ask this question, so I apologize if this question is a bit off-topic:

After this whole NNID integration onto the 3DS, is it not possible for me to change my "State" on the 3DS to evade NY state taxes when buying things from the eShop?
Have you gone into the 3DS settings? I don't see why this would be locked given that people can move states a lot more easily than switching countries (I assume).

it still is. just go to settings in the eshop then change the zip code to a tax free state

i did it with senran kagura burst even though my debit cards billing zip code was different

Zornica

Banned
If only Nintendo would actually drop region locking. I mean if Sony doesn't seem to have a problem with it on both their consoles then I don't see why Nintendo can't do the same.

Because their situations are completely different. First of all, Europe is Sony land. Second, the 3ds is the successor to one of the most pirated systems ever in Europe. Publishers were dropping localisation efforts left an right because they couldn't make their money back. This isn't confirmed or anything but I wouldn't be surprised if this is an effort from Nintendo to reassure those publishers. I am sure NoE isn't big enough to localize everything.

Anything to get SMT IV Nintendo, anything. (except buying another system, if I buy another 3DS, Nintendo wins).

how about having some patients than? We went over this a million times already: If they had released the game last year in europe, it would've been crushed by Zelda and Bravely default. There were also 3 similar games released in the same time frame: Etrian 4, Soul Hackers and Project X Zone. Releasing SMT4 in that environment would've just killed it's momentum and sales.

There is NO WAY they would pass on something as big as smt4 but release minor stuff like Soul Hackers. If it isn't announced/released by Summer 2014, then all the whining would be justifiable. Until than.. please don't. After the past several years, you'd think people would've more faith in NoE.

Pretty cool, too bad my firmware is up to date.

It's about time Nintendo just remove the region lock though TBH.

I wonder when these companies will realise that having stuff like region lock is what causes hacking to take place in the first place.

Yeah, I am sure that was the whole reason they hacked the ds...
by now we should all know that being able to play your legally bought games was never the final goal. It's always about piracy.

L Thammy

Perhaps I should try educating Miiverse about this. I'd get banned, surely, but I wonder if people would be more interested if they learn that its technically possible.

gngf123

Yeah, I am sure that was the whole reason they hacked the ds...
by now we should all know that being able to play your legally bought games was never the final goal. It's always about piracy.

People will always hack. The people who do it like taking things apart and often have different motives. In the DS's case, region locking wasn't a problem. People still wanted homebrew and the ability to play backups.

Giving those people extra motives only pushes the hacking scene further.

I'm assuming you don't have a PS3 already, or you just want to play on 3DS only. I've thought about importing the game but I don't know Japanese so I think it would interfere with my ability to enjoy the game. <_>;

I played E.X. Troopers before I knew Japanese. It's a really solid game and you don't need to know Japanese to play the main storyline though multiplayer/extra missions may be annoying.

rpmurphy

Question: If you have an old enough firmware and run this exploit, is it safe to update the firmware afterwards and transfer everything to it from another 3DS and still have the region-lock broken and nothing else would be messed up? Or is it better safe to just use this region-lock-broken 3DS on its own?

Question: If you have an old enough firmware and run this exploit, is it safe to update the firmware afterwards and transfer everything to it from another 3DS and still have the region-lock broken and nothing else would be messed up? Or is it better safe to just use this region-lock-broken 3DS on its own?

It looks to me like you need to use the EmuNAND function of the Gateway card to be able to update. I dunno if that allows system transfers to work but if you poke around the usual place for Nintendo hack information you should be able to find out.

t26

You lose the exploit once you update. Can't transfer with EmuNAND, but should work if you know how to solder. Still hard to solder on regular 3DS, easier on XL.

Shoyz

I'd like Puyo Puyo Tetris on a handheld and buying a Vita or second 3DS is out of the question, so I hope that they get this working on current firmware sooner than later.

Getting it to work on 5.1 to 6.3 is one thing, but on current firmware? Not without an entirely new exploit. And you wouldn't want your main 3DS stuck on old firmware anyways.
(I suggest getting the Vita)

Very happy to finally be able to run my copy of MapleStory 3DS (the only Korean exclusive, and it boots!)

t26

Getting it to work on 5.1 to 6.3 is one thing, but on current firmware? Not without an entirely new exploit. And you wouldn't want your main 3DS stuck on old firmware anyways.
(I suggest getting the Vita)

Very happy to finally be able to run my copy of MapleStory 3DS (the only Korean exclusive, and it boots!)

If you have 4.5 you can use EmuNAND to get all the features of updates, but still keep the exploit.

rpmurphy

You lose the exploit once you update. Can't transfer with EmuNAND, but should work if you know how to solder. Still hard to solder on regular 3DS, easier on XL.

It looks to me like you need to use the EmuNAND function of the Gateway card to be able to update. I dunno if that allows system transfers to work but if you poke around the usual place for Nintendo hack information you should be able to find out.
Ah I see. It seems to be more trouble than it's worth this way. :(

I don't understand what the point of this is if it isn't gonna be impervious to firmware updates.

They need to either keep up with Nintendo or find some other way. It's not realistic to expect owners to never update their hardware.

rpmurphy

It helps enforce price discrimination between regions, by preventing people from importing the cheaper foreign copies.
Japan really should not be part of the region restrictions. The major blocking factor of importing cheap game software into Japan is language, by far, and not price. Japan usually has ridiculous prices anyway.

gngf123

I don't understand what the point of this is if it isn't gonna be impervious to firmware updates.

They need to either keep up with Nintendo or find some other way. It's not realistic to expect owners to never update their console.

It's incredibly hard to keep up, because any exploit they find can then be patched in the next firmware update and there is no guarantee they will find another exploit any time soon.

Japan really should not be part of the region restrictions. The major blocking factor of importing cheap game software into Japan is language, by far, and not price. Japan usually has ridiculous prices anyway.

While Japan is a pretty big one, that's far from the only region with price discrimination. US 3DS games regularly sell for $20 less than the equivalent game in Europe. No language barrier for us UK folk either.

The current going price for MK7 for example is $60.

I'd kind of like to see the #NintendoRegionFree thing start up again, since this solution is still far from ideal.

t26

They need to either keep up with Nintendo or find some other way. It's not realistic to expect owners to never update their hardware.

We got EmuNAND, which allows you to keep your system at 4.5 and keep the exploit while using the features of new firmware. It takes some time to get the new launcher but so far they don't have any problem.

rpmurphy

While Japan is a pretty big one, that's far from the only region with price discrimination. US 3DS games regularly sell for $20 less than the equivalent game in Europe. No language barrier for us UK folk either.

The current going price for MK7 for example is $60.

I'd kind of like to see the #NintendoRegionFree thing start up again, since this solution is still far from ideal.
Yeah, NA and EU is a trickier situation, especially the business of localization and distribution being complicated as it is. If it weren't an all-or-nothing situation, it would be more ideal.

The current design of region designation is a super outdated hackery that hurts content creators. It really needs to be overhauled.

Zhao_Yun

Because their situations are completely different. First of all, Europe is Sony land. Second, the 3ds is the successor to one of the most pirated systems ever in Europe. Publishers were dropping localisation efforts left an right because they couldn't make their money back. This isn't confirmed or anything but I wouldn't be surprised if this is an effort from Nintendo to reassure those publishers. I am sure NoE isn't big enough to localize everything.

And the PSP wasn't a widely pirated system as well?

how about having some patients than? We went over this a million times already: If they had released the game last year in europe, it would've been crushed by Zelda and Bravely default. There were also 3 similar games released in the same time frame: Etrian 4, Soul Hackers and Project X Zone. Releasing SMT4 in that environment would've just killed it's momentum and sales.

There is NO WAY they would pass on something as big as smt4 but release minor stuff like Soul Hackers. If it isn't announced/released by Summer 2014, then all the whining would be justifiable. Until than.. please don't. After the past several years, you'd think people would've more faith in NoE.

I think you overestimate the impact of SMTIV. I consider the game more as a niche title than a mainstream one and thus cannot understand why NoE would have to hold back such a "big" title (hell they released Pokemon and Zelda within 5 weeks and those are what one would call big titles). The US gets Bravely Default in February after having Zelda, Etrian Untold, Project X Zone, Rune Factory 4 and Pokemon in the similar time frame as the one you mentioned for Europe. Why can't SMT IV get a February Release as well then? In fact Nintendo hasn't even mentioned SMTIV since the localization announcement in April 2013.
I mean, until when do they want to hold back the game? It's not like the 3DS will suddenly have a drought of high quality or similar titles in Europe. In the meanwhile NISA already announced Etrian Untold for Europe and Rune Factory 4 and Conception II will come as well.
If SMTIV should finally come in Summer 2014 it would be 1 year after the US release which is nothing to be grateful for and would just show why region-locks should cease to exist. Just give us the fu**ing choice to enjoy the games whenever we want even if it requires importing from the US!

Zhao_Yun

You do have a choice to import. What you don't want to do is to also import the hardware.

That's obvious isn't it? Why should I want to import a 3DS from another region although my own one is theoretically able to play US games as well if Nintendo would allow it? By doing that I would even seem to reward Nintendo for the lock.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What are people trying to play that they can't in their own region?
Well, the problem for me is that I've moved to a different region. I've had to resort to importing in order to play new 3ds games. Same deal with WiiU. It does actually deter me from supporting Nintendo sometimes actually. This would solve that problem for me if I hadn't updated.

You do have a choice to import. What you don't want to do is to also import the hardware.
Again, if you move you're SOL.

Top Bottom