• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS launching March 27 at $250 in the US!

I will not be buying a 3DS at launch and probably not at the launch price if I can remotely get away with it (I tremendously doubt Nintendo will be able to maintain a $250 price indefinitely) but out of the two price points we were looking at today this is the vaguely-almost-reasonable one rather than the outlandishly-unacceptable one. I don't think the system will underperform significantly as a result of this price.

theBishop

Banned
dankir said:
I can't wait to see how much the PSP2 costs. If it really does have PS3 level of power, it should be interesting.

It would have to be alien technology to get more than $300 from me.

It's probably an unpopular opinion in this thread, but the top goal for PSP2 needs to be Modern Warfare online. That's the killer app which could make a high-spec handheld successful in the US. Anything less, and people will stick with Angry Birds.

«þ»

$249 US is the price I expected. With the Aussie dollar at near parity levels, I would love to see it come in at $249 AU. Its wishful thinking most likely, I expect it to be $299 and would not be surprised at $349 Aussie dollars.

The current revision of the DS has a higher RRP than when it launched six years ago (in Australia anyway). People waiting for a price drop are going to be waiting a long time IMO, theres every chance the first 3DS revision will come in higher than $249 US.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
The launch line-up and the price are disappointing to me. I will be waiting. This may be the most paltry launch line-up for a Nintendo system ever. At least the Nintendo 64 had Mario 64.

apana

theBishop said:
It would have to be alien technology to get more than $300 from me.

It's probably an unpopular opinion in this thread, but the top goal for PSP2 needs to be Modern Warfare online. That's the killer app which could make a high-spec handheld successful in the US. Anything less, and people will stick with Angry Birds.

I don't think so.

DeMatador

Neo Member
2r2aqvb.png

Seriously though, I'm okay with this.

WillyFive

charlequin said:
I will not be buying a 3DS at launch and probably not at the launch price if I can remotely get away with it (I tremendously doubt Nintendo will be able to maintain a $250 price indefinitely)

Remember the DS actually increased in price over time.

theBishop

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
The launch line-up and the price are disappointing to me. I will be waiting. This may be the most paltry launch line-up for a Nintendo system ever. At least the Nintendo 64 had Mario 64.

At least? Mario 64 was a revelation. Gamecube and the original DS launches were worse.

Dennis

Banned
I wish there was a handy crow-eating list of all the posters who insisted a few months ago that anything over $199 was impossible.

Launch window lineup is pretty disappointing. Thought they would be able to get two of Kid Icarus, Paper Mario, OoT, MGS3, and SF64 out within the first three months instead of none.

apana

DennisK4 said:
I wish there was a handy crow-eating list of all the posters who insisted a few months ago that anything over $199 was impossible.

Haven't we known for a long time that it would be over 200 dollars? Pachter called it first, infact I think Nintendo may have been a little bit influenced by him.

Codeblue

Pre-ordered mine. I really thought it was going to be $300.

I'm wondering how much profit Nintendo is getting out of each unit sold in NA, because if this isn't sold at a loss, then they are going to make a ton of money off of each unit in Japan.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
fuck... right before my trip to coachella, tattoo work & expected tablet purchase

this is gonna be interesting. might have to ease off the drinking & smoking for a bit and save some monies.

Deku

Banned
charlequin said:
I will not be buying a 3DS at launch and probably not at the launch price if I can remotely get away with it (I tremendously doubt Nintendo will be able to maintain a $250 price indefinitely) but out of the two price points we were looking at today this is the vaguely-almost-reasonable one rather than the outlandishly-unacceptable one. I don't think the system will underperform significantly as a result of this price.

I think you massively underestimate the price ceiling people have with portable devices.

Buying any console at launch and at Launch price is almost always not value driven, as you have a tiny library and somewhat inflated launch pricing.

But I suspect we'll have iterations of 3DS' at $250 for years, possible for the entire generation. $250 today isn't what it used to be, even just 5 years ago. As I noted, the subsidy on the system is already $50 just for them to sell it in the NA market.

ghostmind

So a thread-bare game lineup, no online shop, no web browser, no DSi to 3DS transfer and no 3D movie support at launch?

Yeah - I'll be waiting a bit to spend my $250.

FlashbladeGAF said:
and it wouldnt be 3d
True

Sometimes I get so optimistic when it comes to the 3DS!

:p
AmericanNinja said:
$250 is waaay too much. It will fail miserably.
Yeah okay...
DennisK4 said:
I'm under the impression that most of those guys revised their opinions upwards to $249.

The really crazy folks actually expected(or maybe wanted) the price to be $300.

Carlisle

Hmmm... about expected... But $250 only a month before the estimated iPad 2 launch? That'll hurt. I'll go undecided for the time being.

apana

SolarPowered said:
True

Sometimes I get so optimistic when it comes to the 3DS!

:p

Yeah okay...

I'm under the impression that most of those guys revised their opinions upwards to $249.

The really crazy folks actually expected(or maybe wanted) the price to be $300.

That's unfair ,the price is up to $300 in other territories. If this sells like crazy, then $300 may have actually been the right launch price.

apana

Gillian Seed said:
OOT is a launch title right?

Yeah this is actually more important than the price for me. Honestly it they had a Wind Waker remake and Mario Galaxy 3 at launch, I would have paid upto $350 for this thing.

People need to remember that the original DS had a fucking terrible launch lineup. There was a remixed, updated port of Mario 64 that you controlled with a D-Pad or touchscreen... and that was kinda it.

These were the games you got for the first month of the DS's life in North America:

* Asphalt Urban GT (Gameloft)
* Feel the Magic: XY/XX (Sega)
* Madden NFL 2005 (Electronic Arts)
* Mr. Driller: Drill Spirits (Namco)
* Ping Pals (THQ)
* Ridge Racer DS (Namco)
* Spider-Man 2 (Activision)
* Sprung (Ubisoft)
* Super Mario 64 DS (Nintendo)
* The Urbz: Sims in the City (Electronic Arts)
* Tiger Woods PGA Tour (Electronic Arts)

Yeah. Fucking Ping Pals and Sprung.

The 3DS launch lineup is... well, a launch lineup, but the stuff slated for the first three months is better than what the DS got by a good country mile.

MoogPaul

Being able to transfer items from one 3ds to another has sold me. Will buy day one and trade in for revision on day one.

apana said:
That's unfair ,the price is up to $300 in other territories. If this sells like crazy, then $300 may have actually been the right launch price.
$300 in the US was out of line no matter how anyone could try to rationalize it. It runs completely counter to just about everything Nintendo has tried to do with the Nintendo brand since the Wii and DS came about.

It'd be insane to argue that the price could be justified by Nintendo in it's current form. It's be predictable if this were Sony or Microsoft, but those guys are light years away from Nintendo in terms of strategy and design. Oh, and don't take the "crazy people" comment to heart either, I was just being a bit hyperbolic. If you went back and checked you would see that most of the people who expected that price also seemed like the ones who wanted an excuse not to buy it though.

I'm just generalizing a bit of course...
apana said:
Yeah this is actually more important than the price for me. Honestly it they had a Wind Waker remake and Mario Galaxy 3 at launch, I would have paid upto $350 for this thing.
This would seal the deal for me as well. It's definitely one of my favorite GC games and one of my top five favorite games of all time.

WillyFive

Gillian Seed said:
OOT is a launch title right?

Doubt it. Nintendo is not really that excited about that game. They hid it at E3, it's only because of fan interest that they showed some brief clips and screens of it later.

Luigi87

OoT I think is launch window, so it should be out before E3.
...Hopefully.

I also hope Canada doesn't get charged more than $249.99
Microsoft and Sony don't charge more, yet Nintendo seems to always.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
EmCeeGramr said:
People need to remember that the original DS had a fucking terrible launch lineup. There was a remixed, updated port of Mario 64 that you controlled with a D-Pad or touchscreen... and that was kinda it.

These were the games you got for the first month of the DS's life in North America:

hahaha hating on Feel the Magic? you're straight chumpin'!

WillyFive

Hieberrr said:
Sorry, I'm a little out of the mix since I woke up really late, but did they announce the launch lineup by any chance?

Just the release date and price for the system. We only know launch window games for the US.

Owzers

EmCeeGramr said:

The 3DS launch lineup is... well, a launch lineup, but the stuff slated for the first three months is better than what the DS got by a good country mile.

You're reminding me how stupid i was for buying a DS at launch.

Hieberrr

Willy105 said:
Just the release date and price for the system. We only know launch window games for the US.

Ahh, great thanks!

Luigi87 said:
OoT I think is launch window, so it should be out before E3.
...Hopefully.

I also hope Canada doesn't get charged more than $249.99
Microsoft and Sony don't charge more, yet Nintendo seems to always.

Me too, but I'm expecting 269.99 :(

Top Bottom