• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Tomodachi Collection (Friend Collection) coming to the West! (Wallstreet Journal)

D-e-f-

Banned
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/01/29/nintendo-walks-fine-line-between-change-and-identity/

The company is now working to decide what can be kept and what needs to be scrapped for its overseas launch of “Tomodachi Collection” — or “Friend Collection” — a 3DS life simulation game in which Miis from consoles can interact with one another and develop via mundane activities, such as exchanging food and clothing.

“It’s all about balance,” Iwata said.

This seems to be a stealth confirmation if the thing they mentioned last year where they suggested they were evaluating if it made sense to bring this over. I'm really curious how this will turn out.

Cut my salary if old.

edit: This seems to come from last week when they announced the forecast thing. I wish the author would provide more direct quotes. I don't want this to turn out as another case of #gamesjournalism lol

Kouriozan

No Iwata GIF yet?

tumblr_m9p6zbNGsb1r4yzs3o4_r2_250.gif

Koppai

No gay couples with one having a baby lol :(

Exciting news, atleast Nintendo supports 3DS unlike poor Wii U :(

Are we going to get Band Bros. P?

Oh my God! Animal Crossing, Disney Magical Castle, and Tomodachi Collection!? 3DS is the best system ever! I need to beef up my Mii collection.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Wait a second, this article is from before the Investor Briefing (posted on January 29th).

How no one noticed this.

Nintendo also faces a global audience that is becoming increasingly divergent in tastes. The widening divide between West and East in game preferences is forcing game publishers into tie-ups with local partners, and Nintendo is not an exception.

Little by little, Nintendo has been softening.

“We need to work even more closely with the U.S. team,” to make sure preferences in the U.S. are reflected at the development stage, Iwata said. The U.S. historically has comprised 40% to 50% of Nintendo’s sales, he noted.

The company is now working on the right balance of localizing Japan-oriented games just enough so that foreign audiences can enjoy them. Even the most “Japanese” games can translate abroad without losing their identity, Iwata said, pointing to “Animal Crossing,” a 3DS game in which players interact with creatures like Gulliver the seagull while focusing on finding insects and planting trees.

The company is now working to decide what can be kept and what needs to be scrapped for its overseas launch of “Tomodachi Collection” — or “Friend Collection” — a 3DS life simulation game in which Miis from consoles can interact with one another and develop via mundane activities, such as exchanging food and clothing.

“It’s all about balance,” Iwata said.

There are other interesting tidbits, not just Tomodachi.

RoyalFool

Banned
The games get old really fast, it feels more like something that should be built into the OS (aka the street pass games) rather than a full price release.

D-e-f-

Banned

I know. But that was "considering" and now this bit implies that they are figuring out how to do it, meaning it's past "considering" and in the "doing" phase. Unless, of course, the author just referred back to the Reggie quote without mentioning it and applied it to what Iwata said last week. That's the part I meant with "I hope this isn't another case of #gamesjournalism" ....

Interesting. I suppose they'll remove the pregnancy thing from it. After all, that was where the glitches that were removed from the Japanese version originated. (Male Miis could randomly have children in the presence of Miis that were imported from the Wii and this would cause save data corruption, destroying your game save data. Kotaku and a bunch of people spun it as an LGBTQ issue and not a save file issue.)

Although they could just have characters "adopt" a new Mii. That would leave the whole pregnancy scenario out and it could be easily be stretched to accommodate same sex couples inside of the game. Although you really don't have much control over how the Mii's act in Tomodachi.

Meier

They have to get Inazuma Eleven out here too. The fact they've had 2 games in the series localized in English for Europe and not put them out here is the dumbest decision Nintendo has made in ages.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
They have to get Inazuma Eleven out here too. The fact they've had 2 games in the series localized in English for Europe and not put them out here is the dumbest decision Nintendo has made in ages.
I'm pretty sure it showed up on a release list for this quarter in the US.

I'd rather have Calicobit. Isn't that also going to the UK? C'mon NOA...

Alfredo

:O

The one reason why I want a region free 3DS?!

Please be true! I need more details!

Edit: I hope they don't localize too much. Like, if they take out karaoke or the text-to-speech stuff because they can't get it to work well in English, that'd be a huge bummer.

On my list of things I did not expect today... this.

Super happy though. I'm in the camp that saw it, fell in love with the silliness, and then never thought I'd see it here.

L~A

I hope it's true, I've always been intrigued by this game, and the sales potential is definitely there (Animal Crossing's popularity, and games like The Sims are also pretty huge).

Guess we should have a coupe of nice surprises at the nice Direct :)

Top Bottom