• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3ds update is going to block switching between country and delete currency

Acccent

European eShops are all identical except for the language and subtitles (and currency for the UK). All* software sold are identical, language choice depends on the OS setup, not the eShop: your games are in French because your 3DS is setup with the French language. Put it in English and all your games will be in English. You're better off buying your stuff in Euros anyway, Pounds are expensive nowadays.

* The only exception to this rule is Link's Awakening, because old rom limitations and Shitty Nintendo DD management. There may be more exceptions with downloadable videos and subtitles missing or being hardcoded but I think if there was such problem, we would have heard about it. Only Green Lantern trailer had this problem AFAIK.

Ok, perfect. My OS is actually in English already, but the shop itself still displays everything in French, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't locking myself into getting stuff dubbed in French. Thanks a lot!

NotLiquid

I didn't even know switching eShop countries was something that existed.

So if I understand this correctly you're able to continue doing that as long as you're not signed into your NNID?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Thats why PSN/XBL werent going to delete my currency, Nintendo's digital platform is a mess, restrictions upon restrictions.

At least you can still choose not to download the update and continue using your balance as you wish. For 360, they are going to delete my money (don't know when anymore) without any way for me to stop them from doing that. Not because of a technical reason or because of me changing regions (or doing anything, really), but just because they are thiefes.

m0t0k1

I didn't even know switching eShop countries was something that existed.

So if I understand this correctly you're able to continue doing that as long as you're not signed into your NNID?

Yes you understand correctly. Only nintendo is saying that you cant switch country once you logged into NNID. So that probably means not creating an NNID for all people who dislikes this.

Khaz

So what happens if you move to another country?

Do you have to show proof of residency along with your police report now?

You can't move. You are supposed to use your portable console at home exclusively, not travel with it and buy games from visited foreign countries. Nintendo.

Mael

That's kind of insane that it wouldn't be converted to the currency of the country your NNID is in.

To be fair the logistic for this is infeasible.
Which currency date do you use on which market?
multicurrency management is really not a simple problem that you can flip a switch on.
Thank god for the Euro because I can tell you this was a fucking mess to deal with, way worse than that BS 2000 bug.

Khaz

To be fair the logistic for this is infeasible.
Which currency date do you use on which market?
multicurrency management is really not a simple problem that you can flip a switch on.
Thank god for the Euro because I can tell you this was a fucking mess to deal with, way worse than that BS 2000 bug.

I agree with this, asking to empty your account before making the switch is perfectly reasonable. The same thing happened when converting from a fake money to a real currency shop.
I believe it also happened with Xbox or Playstation but I'm less familiar with those systems.

CDX

So what happens if you move to another country?

Do you have to show proof of residency along with your police report now?

NNID's can't change the country associated with them

If you think you're going to be moving a lot or just in general like to change your 3DS eshop store a lot

• either don't use a NNID on your 3DS and everything stays the same as it is now for purchases on the 3DS eShops. Switch countries and purchase whatever you want, from wherever you want. The update doesn't force you to use a NNID on your 3DS. So if you don't like being locked to 1 country don't use a NNID with your 3DS.
  • or continue using your old NNID from your previous country, use your old credit card if you still have access to it, or buy points card.
  • or start over with a brand new NNID for your new country

What really sucks is that you currently can't have multiple NNIDs on the same 3DS console.

For example on the Wii U you can have both US & Canadian NNIDs on the same console, and every NNID on the Wii U console can access any game purchased by another NNID on that same console, no matter if they were purchased in Canada or US.

*sigh* maybe if we bug Nintendo enough they'll let us have multiple NNIDs on the 3DS, they probably consider a 3DS a personal device and a Wii U a family device or something stupid.

Khaz

[*]either don't use a NNID on your 3DS and everything stays the same as it is now for purchases on the 3DS eShops. Switch countries and purchase whatever you want, from wherever you want. The update doesn't force you to use a NNID on your 3DS. So if you don't like being locked to 1 country don't use a NNID with your 3DS.

It kind of does, without NNID no demos nor Miiverse for you.

I will register a NNID with my current country then bitch about it on forums and on their hotline when I'll move again.

This reminds me of my Indian friend. Freshly expatriated in London, she wants her Mii to say "Uttar Pradesh" when streetpassing. But there's no Indian eShop, so she has to change her country in the settings every time she wants to use the british eShop. Quite annoying. She is also quite skilled with a pencil and was excited for Miiverse to come. Now I'll have to tell her to choose between expressing her roots and drawing doodles.

Limiting a handheld to a single country shop for digital download is the stupidest idea ever. If it was an IP limitation I could understand (I'd still disagree mind you) but this is just an artificial limitation so easily bypassed by people in the know. Every South-American will now reside in Canada. Every country deemed not important enough to have a digital shop will suddenly become UK.

demidar

Re: Nintendo not allowing you to change money into different currencies.

I may just be pulling this out of my ass, but the ability to change money into different currencies falls under the jurisdiction of banks. If Nintendo allows changing currencies, then they would also be legally considered a bank, and all that entails.

Again, might just be speaking out of my ass.

D-e-f-

Banned
It kind of does, without NNID no demos nor Miiverse for you.

I will register a NNID with my current country then bitch about it on forums and on their hotline when I'll move again.

This reminds me of my Indian friend. Freshly expatriated in London, she wants her Mii to say "Uttar Pradesh" when streetpassing. But there's no Indian eShop, so she has to change her country in the settings every time she wants to use the british eShop. Quite annoying. She is also quite skilled with a pencil and was excited for Miiverse to come. Now I'll have to tell her to choose between expressing her roots and drawing doodles.

Limiting a handheld to a single country shop for digital download is the stupidest idea ever. If it was an IP limitation I could understand (I'd still disagree mind you) but this is just an artificial limitation so easily bypassed by people in the know. Every South-American will now reside in Canada. Every country deemed not important enough to have a digital shop will suddenly become UK.

Why can't your friend just write "Uttar Pradesh" in her custom greeting message?! How is this an issue?

Khaz

Why can't your friend just write "Uttar Pradesh" in her custom greeting message?! How is this an issue?

Because part of the fun of streetpassing people is discovering where they come from on the map, with music and fireworks when a new region is discovered, etc. And part of the fun is giving other people new regions. The problem is this toy is not working as advertised on the box and fun can't be had for some people.

Would you have the same reaction if the Miis were only male and a girl was complaining, would you tell her to just write "I'm a girl" in the description?

D-e-f-

Banned
Would you have the same reaction if the Miis were only male and a girl was complaining, would you tell her to just write "I'm a girl" in the description?
Your scenario is very different from the problem at hand. Choosing where you're from if you moved is a personal preference and doesn't have to be accurate.

Mael

Because part of the fun of streetpassing people is discovering where they come from on the map, with music and fireworks when a new region is discovered, etc. And part of the fun is giving other people new regions. The problem is this toy is not working as advertised on the box and fun can't be had for some people.

Makes me think that I still haven't changed the region I'm in....
Guess it'll be the region from where my 3DS is.

Re: Nintendo not allowing you to change money into different currencies.

I may just be pulling this out of my ass, but the ability to change money into different currencies falls under the jurisdiction of banks. If Nintendo allows changing currencies, then they would also be legally considered a bank, and all that entails.

Again, might just be speaking out of my ass.

Considering the number of restrictions banks just got hammered with (the Bale III stuffs?) and how it needs to be implemented, if they need to do this they'd be wasting a fortune in allowing people to change currency....

All this wouldn't be a problem if they managed accounts like on WiiU with multiple accounts...
I guess it wouldn't mesh well with how they view 3DS.
Like on 3DS you have 1 Mii because it's you and on Wii/WiiU you have several because you're not alone in using it...

I agree with this, asking to empty your account before making the switch is perfectly reasonable. The same thing happened when converting from a fake money to a real currency shop.
I believe it also happened with Xbox or Playstation but I'm less familiar with those systems.

On xbox they erased your money if you had any left when the switch was made.
This here is fairly minor in comparison, heck you can still use your Wii point on the Wiishopchannel on Wii and that never get updated anymore (I'm not even sure if they don't move the balance to eshop once you transfer your wiidata to the wiiu)

Usobuko

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there's any eshop presence in Asia nor for the foreseeable future. Looks like I need to make the switch or is it too late as of now?

Mael

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there's any eshop presence in Asia nor for the foreseeable future. Looks like I need to make the switch or is it too late as of now?

The way I get it is that you can do whatever the fuck you want as long as you don't use a NNID.

misterF

Neo Member
Sorry for the thread bump but I could use some advice. I live in Asia and following advice I got from 3DSGAF, I was planning on getting a US system and setting it to Canada to use the eShop with my local credit card. Does this update affect my plan in any ways?

Guamu

Sorry for the thread bump but I could use some advice. I live in Asia and following advice I got from 3DSGAF, I was planning on getting a US system and setting it to Canada to use the eShop with my local credit card. Does this update affect my plan in any ways?

Nope. Just set your region to canada when you get your 3ds.

Top Bottom