• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS vs Vita vs Smartphones/Tablets battle of the portables garbage thread

Kyoufu said:
I don't get the negativity surrounding Vita on this forum atm. Yeah, I know it doesn't have a new MonHun announced...

But still, looks like an amazing piece of kit. One that will cost me a fortune to import :(

you didnt stay up late to watch the conference

...did you?

kinggroin

Banned
dark10x said:
There's a difference between running well and running at a locked 60 fps. Only some of those games actually support 60 fps and they are fairly simple.

You joke about those OS functions, but even on things like a Galaxy Tab 10.1, the UI isn't perfectly smooth.

That's fine, don't care to argue this any longer.

And the tab fucking sucks.

Can we do Handhelds vs. Consoles too?

I can't wait until the Vita replaces my PS3 now that it has console level controls. Gone are the days of being stuck in one room and playing without a sleep mode!

I'd love to go all portable next gen but we'll see if its feasible. I'm sure there will be console games I'll want but hopefully there aren't too many of them. At the very least I won't jump in until the middle of next gen.

I welcome my new handheld overlords

Cipherr

dark10x said:
There's a difference between running well and running at a locked 60 fps. Only some of those games actually support 60 fps and they are fairly simple.

Im a little mystified by your filter here. Like completely actually. ONLY games running at a locked 60fps with no dips? Really now? Because the more I think about it, that list would be miniscule in comparison to the full size of the platforms library no matter which gaming device, console, or platform of any kind you applied it to.

And not just this year, or this gen, ever. As in ever ever as long as gaming has existed.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
I'll give up on my handhelds when they take them from my cold, dead hands.
Smartphones? more like dumbphones. Seriously, buy a fucking 700$ device to play .99$ games that are shitty even by ZX Spectrum standards, that's the future of gaming my ass.

Piggus

FlashbladeGAF said:

...did you?

lol. Sony didn't ruin your life. At the press conference they didn't say "Oh here's some games and features you've been excited about... that are no longer coming to Vita. Sorry!"

People are really cynical if they lose all faith in something over one boring ass press conference. I have a feeling Gaf will get over it shortly.

Kurdel

Banned
Just buy what you want and stop shitting on what you can't afford/ don't want.

So far, my experience with the 3DS is fine, but it's library is laughable compared to iOS. It's easy to spot the People who don't have an iOS device, because they have no idea what the fuck they are talking about.

Nintendo needs to stop being greedy assholes and release the entire VC Wii catalog on 3DS. And they better not charge me twice for the games I already have.

Deku said:
You're right, I forgot about FE

What I really wanted was Advance Wars, and support from 2nd tier devs in the west that bring interesting strategy concepts to the table.

Maybe UBI-san will do another Anno title.

I would be amazed if there isn't an Advance Wars title in development given the time since Days Of Ruin. A new Pokémon is also a lock, eventually.

For non traditional 'strategy', there is of course Roller Coaster Tycoon coming as well, which is apparently RC2 with RC3s graphics. Also Devil Survivor is out.

As I say, for all of the criticisms that can be fairly levelled at the 3DS, lack of 'strategy' titles and its future prospects being 'appalling' is not one of them.

sajj316

DKnight said:
Smartphones? more like dumbphones. Seriously, buy a fucking 700$ device to play .99$ games that are shitty even by ZX Spectrum standards, that's the future of gaming my ass.

amen!

I will never forget the feeling I had when playing SFIV for iOS. It was disgust, disappointment, and horror all rolled into one.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
DKnight said:
I paid 99 cents for my smartphone

tfur

dark10x said:

You joke about those OS functions, but even on things like a Galaxy Tab 10.1, the UI isn't perfectly smooth.

My ipad ui is not "perfectly smooth" either. It lags going from app to app on a regular basis. Not to mention how often Safari crashes...

FlashbladeGAF said:

...did you?

I didn't watch the conference. But a boring conference does not equate to a bad product. I'm not going to base my opinion of VITA off of an an hour feature fest.

Reading what I know; Vita sounds great.

Daschysta

1-D_FTW said:
I disagree. I think it's much more cynical than that. They've fine tuned the formulas on the mega-sellers and they continuously recreate them. If they were creating and failing at titles outside of this, it could be a valid criticism. You could say they've lost it and are out of ideas.

You can predict which titles are going to hit new platforms solely on sales figures. And they're not going to deviate much from the formula for a reason: they've distilled what sells to the masses.

Is this an inherently bad thing? No. They're in business to make money. There are new kids born every year who haven't seen the same thing remade 3 different times. It's a valid strategy. Where many old-time Nintendo fans (like myself) feel scorned is that they've completely abandoned the middle tier games that often spawned greatness. The mad genius of Nintendo was often best in these games. And it's been shut down for business.

Xenoblade, Pikmen, Captain Rainbow, Paper Mario, Batallion Wars, Excitebots, Disaster, punchout, dynamic slash, And nintendo publishes plenty of other quirky titles...

Also nintendo takes significantly more risks with their established franchises than almost any other company. The galaxy games easily could have been a new IP, who cares if its called mario? Metroid prime could have been a new ip as could other m... The mario RPGS could be new IPs, all based on gameplay, just because nintendo doesn't name the games new titles doesn't mean the gameplay is rehashed or recycled, especially compared to most companies that make sequels/ new iterations of persistent franchises.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
walking fiend said:
is this only supposed to sound cool or something or did you get your contact for .99 cents per month as well?
It's more that people are being factitious about smartphone prices. The same way they are with PC prices.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Cipherr said:
Im a little mystified by your filter here. Like completely actually. ONLY games running at a locked 60fps with no dips? Really now? Because the more I think about it, that list would be miniscule in comparison to the full size of the platforms library no matter which gaming device, console, or platform of any kind you applied it to.

And not just this year, or this gen, ever. As in ever ever as long as gaming has existed.
Of course I enjoy games with lower framerates.

The problem with a LOT of phone games, though (on all platforms), are the odd inconsistencies and hitches that occur in many titles. Eurogamer has discussed this before when they took a look at iPad2 (Real Racing 2 is a good example). You end up with a very peculiar looking framerate that seems jittery. THAT kind of performance absolutely kills enjoyment for me.

I can deal with slowdown, but not inconsistencies.

That's fine, don't care to argue this any longer.

And the tab fucking sucks.
You seem to be getting awful pissed off about this. I don't mean to insult the platform, but every device I've used has been inconsistent in terms of performance. It almost seems to me that, perhaps, only a handful of Android devices out of what seems to be hundreds are capable of delivering great performance. I haven't tried an Atrix. The fastest phone I've used is the Galaxy S2, which was not bad, but still wasn't as smooth as I'd like while testing various apps and using the OS. If the Atrix or some other phone can solve those issues, I'll take a look at them.

I was a bit harsh with slamming the Android platform, however, and I apologize for that. It's not crap and there are some decent titles on there, but it's still pretty far off from matching iOS in that regard.

zoner said:
It's more that people are being factitious about smartphone prices. The same way they are with PC prices.
Contracts are expensive, and so are the phones locked to them.

The problem with a LOT of phone games, though (on all platforms), are the odd inconsistencies and hitches that occur in many titles. Eurogamer has discussed this before when they took a look at iPad2 (Real Racing 2 is a good example). You end up with a very peculiar looking framerate that seems jittery. THAT kind of performance absolutely kills enjoyment for me.
you deserve that for wanting to play a 'real' racer using only gyro.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
walking fiend said:
Contracts are expensive, and so are the phones locked to them.
Is it really expensive when it functions for basic human need? It's not like people get phones because they want to play games. They get them because they need it for work, family, etc. You buy a handheld for one specific reason.

Piggus said:
lol. Sony didn't ruin your life. At the press conference they didn't say "Oh here's some games and features you've been excited about... that are no longer coming to Vita. Sorry!"

People are really cynical if they lose all faith in something over one boring ass press conference. I have a feeling Gaf will get over it shortly.

why u mad

he said "atm"

People are voicing their opinions over Sony's boring ass conference from LAST NIGHT!
Its new so the hate is still fresh in peoples minds. Especially those who stayed up late to watch nothing.

They'll get over it, when they have it in their hands or another bad ass IP gets revealed

But everyone expecting PSV to crush 3DS after the frankenstick reveal were a little let down that Sony didnt go for the throat at their press conference

zoner said:
Is it really expensive when it functions for basic human need? It's not like people get phones because they want to play games. They get them because they need it for work, family, etc. You buy a handheld for one specific reason.
It doesn't make the contracts cheaper.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
sorry in advance for this long post, but the thing for me is..

vita can do touch games, like smart phones.
k69gg.png

ib0dtmJoAsoRg1.jpg

ibva56p11AjBiF.jpg

vita can do console like games
uncharted_vita_01.jpg

LBP+Vita+_5_.png

6JcaV.jpg

vita can do ports
zoe2.042209-580px.jpg

Metal-Gear-Solid-Peace-Walker-PSP1.jpg

33w8uid.png

vita can do new ip's
Escape_Plan_vita.png

6103225500_3b57bcfbf8_o.jpg

vita can do multiplayer... the right way.
med_gallery_290_19_45729.jpg

and last but not least... vita can do OLED!
b2zq9.gif

saichi

Beam said:
But failure and success are determined if the project is profitable for the company. Let´say the Vita sells 20 million, but it´s profitable for Sony. Than it wióuld be considered succes for the company. Same for every product.
Unless the expectations are unrealistic, but that is another issue.

By this definition, PS3 will be a failure as well as XBox and 360. I don't think it's that simple.

So if Sony wants to sell 80 million Vita but they end up selling 20 million and profitable, it would still consider as success?

Deku

Banned
FlashbladeGAF said:
why u mad

he said "atm"

People are voicing their opinions over Sony's boring ass conference from LAST NIGHT!
Its new so the hate is still fresh in peoples minds. Especially those who stayed up late to watch nothing.

They'll get over it, when they have it in their hands or another bad ass IP gets revealed

But everyone expecting PSV to crush 3DS after the frankenstick reveal were a little let down that Sony didnt go for the throat at their press conference

There was no throat to go for.

Even with all their problems and mis-steps, Nintendo still has a massive advantage, just in terms of support, and pricing and the one year head start.

As for the Frankenstick, depending on when a redesign comes out, it could well end up being a Dual-shock moment where one company steals an idea and makes it their own within a generation.

I mean Nintendo will have had 20 months to prepare for a dual analog 3DS by the time a redesign is expected next September.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
nintendo should make 'nintendo cheap shit division' put that on iphone

then stick to consoles and the controller just is a take it away handheld as well with larger games.

There's no way to reconcile the 'mario needs a dpad' problem with phones.

Kyoufu

FlashbladeGAF said:

...did you?

Not sure why I'm replying to this but

Yeah I stayed up to watch it, and while it was boring, it showed the UI and some things I haven't seen before. The only thing the conference lacked was montages and a fucking Monster Hunter :( Aside from those, I am super impressed with Vita's slick UI and online connectivity.

Pirabear

Banned
Pachterballs said:
Penny Arcade comic

I like and play iOS games and all, but why is this comic used as a counter-argument in every mobile thread? How I interpret the comic:

"Handheld games are expensive! Mobile games are much cheaper!"
"But a ton of it is shovelware and not full experiences..."
"B-But they're CHEAPER then the games you buy!"

You didn't really convince the other party that they were wrong.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
zoner said:
Basic human needs...??? First, you don't need a smartphone for these "basic human needs", you could do away with a 20$ phone. Second, it's not even a basic human need. I have friends without mobile phones, they do just fine. I could, too.
You are paying full price for your phone when you pay your contract. If smartphones were "free" I'd have one too. They're pricey as fuck, but because I don't measure my wang with the revision of my iPhone, I don't feel the need to pony up hundreds for one.
My point is, gaming on a mobile is much pricier than on a console, and it's shit to boot. Don't compare that to PC gaming. While PCs are pricey too, they have incredibly good, huge, groundbreaking games. iOS games are either ports for the dirty cash-in or pure shit shallow 1 minute games.

Deku said:
There was no throat to go for.

Even with all their problems and mis-steps, Nintendo still has a massive advantage, just in terms of support, and pricing and the one year head start.

As for the Frankenstick, depending on when a redesign comes out, it could well end up being a Dual-shock moment where one company steals an idea and makes it their own within a generation.

I mean Nintendo will have had 20 months to prepare for a dual analog 3DS by the time a redesign is expected next September.

I meant take advantage of all of Nintendo's recent missteps by coming at them with reasons why the Vita will dominate.

But now as it stands Vita is looking like PSP2. (Which isnt a bad thing... just not a great thing like people hyped)

... the UI is nice as well as the online components

Luminate said:
I like and play iOS games and all, but why is this comic used as a counter-argument in every mobile thread? How I interpret the comic:

"Handheld games are expensive! Mobile games are much cheaper!"
"But a ton of it is shovelware and not full experiences..."
"B-But they're CHEAPER then the games you buy!"

You didn't really convince the other party that they were wrong.

I always assumed the comic was designed to be open to interpretation which makes it amusing when people keep posting it because they think it backs them up when it really doesn't

Deku

Banned
catfish said:
nintendo should make 'nintendo cheap shit division' put that on iphone

isn't Nintendo the cheap shit division? ;)

My hands are still sticky from all that duct tape they used.

jman2050

FlashbladeGAF said:
I meant take advantage of all of Nintendo's recent missteps by coming at them with reasons why the Vita will dominate.

Vita was never going to dominate though no matter what they did. They can't really compete with Nintendo on equal ground in the portable space and it will be just as pressured by smartphones as the 3DS will be. Maybe moreso.

saichi said:
By this definition, PS3 will be a failure as well as XBox and 360. I don't think it's that simple.

So if Sony wants to sell 80 million Vita but they end up selling 20 million and profitable, it would still consider as success?
Yes, the PS3 is a failure for Sony. It lost them a tonne of money. MS´s 360 has taken a lot of market share from Sony so that is considered success.
If Sony expects to sell 80 million Vita and they end up selling selling 20 million, even though it´s profitable, it would be considered a failure. That´s why i wrote realistic expectations. When a company does not meet its expectations, their stock falls, and their annual report/quarterly financial report has to be revised down. Which is bad for the company. So selling 20 million while expecting to sell 80 million, even though the 20 million sales have been profitable, it would considered a failure.

Deadly Joker said:
After TGS, I'm just getting an iPhone 5. I was not impressed by the Vita or 3DS lineups.

Although, I'll admit that I don't really like Nintendo games that much, so that's not really Nintendo's fault.

Last night's Sony conference was a complete abortion. I feel raped by watching that conference.
That, along with the proprietary memory card prices, have completely pushed me away from the Vita. Maybe in a couple of years, I'll pick up a used one. But for now, I'm just going to stick with iOS.

You gotta be fucking joking, every skeptic i know are bowing at the awesomeness of Vita's launch. You either are not a gamer or you didn't want one in the first place.

GTP_Daverytimes said:
You gotta be fucking joking, every skeptic i know are bowing at the awesomeness of Vita's launch. You either are not a gamer or you didn't want one in the first place.
Huh? What if he does not like the games which were announced? Or the games he wanted to be announced were not? Different strokes for different folks dude. You need to learn to respect that.

HamPster PamPster said:
I always assumed the comic was designed to be open to interpretation which makes it amusing when people keep posting it because they think it backs them up when it really doesn't

I was more going for the price and fun.... When a lot of touchscreen haters are going on about controls etc el.

Btw I don't game on a phone, it's iPadv1+ 2 ( I have both) so...maybe that's why I'm so enthusiastic. It's so good.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Game Show didn't alter the fortunes of any of the platforms. Monster Hunter is nice but really doesn't mean anything.

The other forward thinking platforms will continue to thrive.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Bad_Boy said:
sorry in advance for this long post, but the thing for me is..

vita can do touch games, like smart phones.

vita can do console like games

vita can do ports

vita can do new ip's

vita can do multiplayer... the right way.

and last but not least... vita can do OLED!
But can it do Pokemon?
I'm very much looking forward to owning a Vita.

Lazy8s said:
Game Show didn't alter the fortunes of any of the platforms. Monster Hunter is nice but really doesn't mean anything.
That's because you probably don't live in Japan.

Beam said:
Huh? What if he does not like the games which were announced? Or the games he wanted to be announced were not? Different strokes for different folks dude. You need to learn to respect that.

Look, i insulted no one. All am saying is that as a gamer you SHOULD be impressed by Vita's launch line-up. The game you want doesn't have to be there for you to be impressed by the line-up, not only is it the richest line-up in gaming history but it's also one of the most diverse.

GTP_Daverytimes said:
Look, i insulted no one. All am saying is that as a gamer you SHOULD be impressed by Vita's launch line-up. The game you want doesn't have to be there for you to be impressed by the line-up, not only is it the richest line-up in gaming history but it's also one of the most diverse.
But if the person does not like the games that were announced, then the person does not. It does not matter how diverse they are as long as the games don´t appeal to the person.

dark10x said:
What part of the UI is not smoth? Using one right now and was just wondering?

Since I bought it, I cannot see myself buying a dedicated gaming device for the kids or myself for that matter.
I am blown away by the versatility of it and the kids love it. It even has pokemon(tower defence), say no more.

kinggroin

Banned
dark10x said:
Of course I enjoy games with lower framerates.

I can deal with slowdown, but not inconsistencies.

You seem to be getting awful pissed off about this. I don't mean to insult the platform, but every device I've used has been inconsistent in terms of performance. It almost seems to me that, perhaps, only a handful of Android devices out of what seems to be hundreds are capable of delivering great performance. I haven't tried an Atrix. The fastest phone I've used is the Galaxy S2, which was not bad, but still wasn't as smooth as I'd like while testing various apps and using the OS. If the Atrix or some other phone can solve those issues, I'll take a look at them.

I was a bit harsh with slamming the Android platform, however, and I apologize for that. It's not crap and there are some decent titles on there, but it's still pretty far off from matching iOS in that regard.

Dark, I'm not upset or anything. If there is any hint of frustration in my post, I assure you it has nothing to do with slamming android or its games. My investment in both ios and android as gaming platforms is such that that any kind of insult at the quality of it's library has no bearing on the tone of my post replies. No, I roginally was attempting to demonstrate that if ios is a great platform by any measurement, then so is android. That's all.

Your enjoyment of the games seem to rely heavily on a locked 60 or 30fps. I can assure you that the examples I gave for the devices I mentioned, fit very very closely to the former. So much so, that you'd find it more than acceptable.

When you said most of them don't, you wrong. At that point, I really didn't care to continue, as the argument as moved far from its original point.

ScepticMatt said:
Phone/Tablets vs handhelds is like Laptops/PCs vs. Consoles.
As on PCs, phones have a larger proportion of non-AAA games.

Well, sure, if you're under the impression that PC Gaming solely consists of Newgrounds / Kongregate.

Great comparison.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
I've got both Android and iOS, and both are worthwhile for apps.

Android's a second-class citizen and will continue to be, though, until Google starts to care more about providing a consistent platform for acceleration of graphics -- and soon, GPU compute -- than they care about reaching out the OS to every possible niche and therefore compromising the former.

Top Bottom