• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3rd version of Youkai Watch 2 announced in CoroCoro magazine, coming out on Dec. 13

L~A

There's a bit of Youkai Watch news in the latest CoroCoro magazine issue. Looks like Level-5 is planning to release a 3rd version of Youkai Watch 2 on Dec. 13.

From the looks of it, it's the "full version" of Youkai Watch 2, whatever that means (I guess there's no more Youkai exclusive to one version). There's some extra Youkai and new quests.

Of course, there's going to be the usual goodies with the retail version (medals and such), and the downloadable version will also have some goodies (not physical, obviously).

Release is on Saturday, which is a bit unusual. Just a reminder: movie comes out on Dec. 22, so timing is just right.

Just saw the scan. It looks like this version will also have a little anime episode that will connect it to the movie. You can also transfer your data from Ganso/Honke to this game.

Source (Maybe someone can translate details from there?).

Forkball

Some of the yokai were pretty hard to get and had crazy exclusivity deals. I wonder if they will just shove all of them into this game. YW2 has a ton of content as it is, so it should be interesting to see what more they could add.

Mr-Joker

Banned
It's official Yokai_Watch has now gone full on copying the Pokémon version gimmick. Does Yokai_Watch do anything interesting with the two version?

zeromcd73

Just saw the scan. It looks like this version will also have a little anime episode that will connect it to the movie. You can also transfer your data from Ganso/Honke to this game.

L~A

Thanks! Missed that little bit, added to OP.

emb

Why can't we get this over here?

Really curious what all the hype is about. I want to try it.

So the third version is something akin to Pokemon Yellow or Platinum?

Jamix012

God I really hope they wait till AT LEAST dec/nov 2015 before releasing another game in the series. With YW they really have a chance to own the next Pokemon phenomenon which could last generations, but not if they milk it like this.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
milking-a-cow-J1.gif

Mr Swine

Banned
Yokai Watch 3 should sell well nonetheless, prolly not as good as YW2 but around 2.5 million before the huge decline

L~A

Why can't we get this over here?

Really curious what all the hype is about. I want to try it.

So the third version is something akin to Pokemon Yellow or Platinum?

Yup, it's pretty much the same thing.

Can't wait for Youkai Watch 3 on July 11 ;)

Alrus

Yeah considering YW is a much bigger phenomenon than Layton or Inazuma Eleven, I'm not sure trying to milk it as fast as possible is the best strategy here. This is a little bit too close to the original YW2.

It's not like YW2 was showing any signs of slowing down either, why risk alienating a bunch of customers and hurting your franchise?

Honestly, if Level-5 wants to milk the franchise, they should do a spin-off, different genre, etc.

Releasing one mainline game after the other in the span of six months is not a smart idea.

Sandfox

Level 5 is going to kill this franchise lol.
Honestly, if Level-5 wants to milk the franchise, they should do a spin-off, different genre, etc.

Releasing one mainline game after the other in the span of six months is not a smart idea.

Neither is creating new Yokai so often.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Should have waited longer, YW2 would have sold just fine this year.

This might cut somewhat into the Pokémon Oras sales.

L~A

this should boost YW2 even further during the holiday period in Japan, for sure!

Pretty sure MC and Famitsu will track this one separately... I wonder if Level-5 is planning on an update DLC, like they did with Fantasy Life. Unlikely, but who knows.

This is gonna be one hell of a Christmas for the 3DS.

This is not a new mainline game, but more a third version in the same vein of Blue.

zroid

Banned
Level-5 gona Level-5

at least in this case it doesn't look like people are gonna get burned out any time soon

Meffer

Ah, I thinking of getting YW2 with my New 3DS but since there's a 3rd version coming on it's way, I might reconsider. Should I get YW2 now or get Medabots 8 instead?
Anybody have suggestions about this?

Wow. I feel like it was literally yesterday that Ganso/Honke came out and lit the sales charts on fire, they could have easily coasted on G/H's sales for a few months before busting this out.

Why wouldn't it be?
Inazuma Eleven 3 has 3 versions in Europe. The 3rd one Ogre was a few months later (and near impossible to find a UK copy of as no retailers got any stock, Nintendo UK store have a few month though).

If Inazuma Eleven 2 on the eShop gets the two versions that would be more telling of what will happen.

Top Bottom