• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4 mins of Skull and Bones alpha test Gameplay leaked

Won't this come out like 7 years late? I think all the pirate fever has long gone. Maybe this reignites it though. Supposedly there wasn't going to be any free movement outside the ships, i hope they changed that

skit_data

I don’t understand why this game has been in production for so long?
They pretty much had half the game finished with Black Flag yet this has been in development since 2013? That’s almost 10 years ago!

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned
Only interesting thing for which i remember Skull & Bones is that "RIP Sea of Thieves" posts that many people made after reveal.

They were funny...

Godot25

Banned
I don’t understand why this game has been in production for so long?
They pretty much had half the game finished with Black Flag yet this has been in development since 2013? That’s almost 10 years ago!
It's Ubisoft. Do you need another explanation?
It took them several years to make an asset-flip of a game (Rainbow Six Extraction) which is enough for other studios to make original AAA game.

Last edited:

BigBooper

"Leaked"

Looks pretty good. You know all the microtransactions will kill the fun, but they could make a good game of it if they wanted.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
So it’s sea of thieves with realistic graphics.

Pop Tv GIF by Schitt's Creek

Larxia

The fact that it's mostly only ship gameplay is still very disappointing to me.
What I liked in black flag was being able to do both, on ship and on foot, and I wish this game pushed that further by making the whole world explorable, unlike black flag where most islands were just "fake" islands you couldn't land on.
I think Assassin's Creed Odyssey was the best at this, completely seamless, huge open world, with on sea and on foot gameplay, where you know that you can go to any place you can see.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The fact that it's mostly only ship gameplay is still very disappointing to me.
What I liked in black flag was being able to do both, on ship and on foot, and I wish this game pushed that further by making the whole world explorable, unlike black flag where most islands were just "fake" islands you couldn't land on.
I think Assassin's Creed Odyssey was the best at this, completely seamless, huge open world, with on sea and on foot gameplay, where you know that you can go to any place you can see.
So you want Assassins Creed?

It looks...OK? Can't really see whats changed or been added since it was revealed years back?

With the removal of all the AC stuff (parkour,exploration, melee combat) this looks like it will get boring extremely quickly. I can see a lot of ppl being pretty underwhelmed when they "board" another ship just get a short cutscene, looks like the same goes for mutiny. Not sure how it improves the game to remove so much player autonomy and instead have you completely locked to your ship. I can already see the memes of ppl being forced to walk at a snails pace every time they are on land.

This looks like a tiny part of Black Flag, stuffed full of fluff and sold as a full game. Leaping off your ship to swim around and board an enemy or explore a new island was amazing in Black Flag and made it feel like a true pirate experience. Docking 10ft from an island so you can watch rocks explode and trees fall to pieces seems dull, tedious and completely uninspired. Yes ship combat is improved and refined, but wasnt that already pretty damn impressive in BF considering how much freedom you had on top of it?

Damn if it doesnt make wanna play black flag again though lol

Another good game to watch from afar just like any other Ubisoft game. I liked Black Flag back in the day, but gameplay outside of ship combat seems tedious at best, so I'll be content in watching a few streams if this comes out any time soon.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Is this from that "Insider Program" they were touting months ago?

Yes ship combat is improved and refined, but wasnt that already pretty damn impressive in BF considering how much freedom you had on top of it?

No. BF was fun but the space to improve the ship combat was clearly there. Relative to a singleplayer experience it was fine and people (like myself) enjoyed it, however there was clearly room to do more with this that never materialized in subsequent adventures. Putting into its own game makes sense.

yurinka

I mean…. Could they just not have done black flag 2 and been done with it?
There were people who really loved the ship parts and other that really hated them, pretty much 50%. So they decided to split it in two parts: the AC one without the ships and a new IP focused in the ships.

Looks pretty legit. But isn't it got canceled? Or that was Beyond Good and Evil 2?
One of these "insiders" who made ups sttuff claimed BGE2 was cancelled so it was rumored. But the reality is that both are under development and are taking their time to develop them.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It doesn't give a great picture of how big the map is, or how many players will be in your lobby. Kind of feels like it might be Tarkov inspired?

I'm a little underwhelmed but it might be fun to play until the real multiplayer heavy hitters start showing up. Multiplayer games that began development before 2018 don't seem to be fairing particularly well.

Bluecondor

If this is playable/enjoyable for a solo player, I would definitely be in. Like others have said though, if it falls into the patterns of many multi-player games, this won't be much fun as a solo player having to go up against groups of 4 and/or heavy hitters who max out their ships.

SJRB

Gold Member
Gameplay looks pretty neat actually! It really is Black Flag without the AC stuff.

Hope they can clean up the graphics because visually it's not exactly a looker.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Is this from that "Insider Program" they were touting months ago?

No. BF was fun but the space to improve the ship combat was clearly there. Relative to a singleplayer experience it was fine and people (like myself) enjoyed it, however there was clearly room to do more with this that never materialized in subsequent adventures. Putting into its own game makes sense.
If this is true then they should have really embraced the "ship only" aspect by making you play THE SHIP, ie make it haunted and all the people on it are trapped by your ghostly powers forced to do your bidding. Then the lack of direct control over swordplay and land stuff would make thematic sense.

Fuck, is it so hard to just make Sid Meiers PIRATES with a modern engine.

Top Bottom