• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

40 Awesome Console Startups to Trigger Your Nostalgia

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Video game console startup sequences are an oft-overlooked art form. From the Gamecube's multi-faceted, semi-playable startup, to Xbox's series of white spheres that all fade into one another if you line them up, to Sega Dreamcast's iconic swirl, here's...well, not every startup sequence ever, but whole lot of them. Watch them progress before your very eyes as your nostalgia gland pumps wildly!

Birdo

Banned
The Mega/Sega CD boot screen is such a shit-show :messenger_grinning_smiling:

It looks like a school science video intro.

PS3 is the best.

Last edited:

sol740

That Sega CD startup felt like the future to 12 year old me. I learned a harsh lesson after spending a summers worth of my lawn mowing money on it. Saved me from a 32X and Saturn purchase though.

The Genesis "SEEEEGA!" and the Game Boy "pling" are the two etched most deeply into my adolescent brain, the other being...

I like how Saturn has two different startup noises. I didn't realize this until I replaced my US Saturn with an imported one from Japan (I like the US one a lot better)

Last edited:

Eimran

Them nostalgia moments

vqhBEYa.jpg

MrA

microsoft and subtlety seam like oil and water, the xbox sex better have a bombastic start up and not an understated one like the xboxone,
maybe a cracking a volume knob up to 12 and the speaker exploding into an xbox logo

TLZ

Banned
Sega Mega Drive, PS1 and PS2 trigger nostalgia for me.

I like the GameCube and Dreamcast ones but I never played them back in the day. (Dreamcast only once or twice then packed, and years later lost :( )

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Amazing how deeply these sounds get embedded into one’s memory.

One thing I don’t get is: why did the NES and SNES not have a specific boot-up screen and jingle, but the Game Boy did?

K.N.W.

Amazing how deeply these sounds get embedded into one’s memory.

One thing I don’t get is: why did the NES and SNES not have a specific boot-up screen and jingle, but the Game Boy did?
I'm investigatin too, and the SNES one seems to be fan made o_O I'll update as soon as I check the others.

Last edited:
Top Bottom