• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-44°c currently here, would you call into work?

MilkyJoe

So yeah that's -47 Fahrenheit for you Americans, my car won't start shits froze, debating if I should just stay home today and be a bum or just go back to sleep :p what would you guys do?

-44 C and your car won't start? What are your options to get to work other than risking life and literally limb, walking??

MilkyJoe

Yeah I live in the south. If there is even a slight chance for snow you’d think the world was ending cause people be like

EQTSRHp.jpg

This is what the English media does every time it's a bit chilly and there's a cloud in the sky. I swear they are in Cahoots with the UK train companies so they can cancel all the trains and make everyone's commute a misery.

Last year my train company preemptively cancelled most of the next days trains due to a heavy snow forecast and when it hadn't snowed they left them cancelled. Cunts.

jonnyp

-7 F is cold yeah, that's like -21 C. For me anything below -20 C is properly cold. The winter has been quite mild in Europe this year though

Yeah, so nice with this mild winter. Thanks Canada for taking all the cold :p

Last edited:

Kev Kev

my car was reading 85 Fahrenheit in florida yesterday

EDIT: forecast says high of 82 today, lol

Last edited:

Thaedolus

If one of my employees' car doesn't start or the roads are absolute shit, I'm not gonna get on them for not coming in. I don't want to be expected to risk life and limb to get to the office to do something I can do from home, so I'm not going to expect that of them. It's the cost of doing business in a region it snows heavily several times a year, oh no.

ndreamer

It could be worse, Australia has been 40+degrees , feel your face melting heat. I live in Thailand, 25Degrees now and i'm cold lol.

StormCell

So yeah that's -47 Fahrenheit for you Americans, my car won't start shits froze, debating if I should just stay home today and be a bum or just go back to sleep :p what would you guys do?

I would stay home. If you can do your work remotely, then it's no big deal. If not, well this is perfectly excusable. Let's assume that your car did start. What would you do if it broke down along the way? Do you have sufficient supplies to stay warm until help arrives? The coldest I've ever experienced is -30 C living near the US/CA border, and I didn't go to work or attend classes that day. It just wasn't worth it.

If the car starts I’m going to work , get off your lazy ass.

Maybe it's just me, but my life is worth more than work or money. I'm not risking life over something that can obviously wait. At -44C, how long would most people driving their car survive if they suddenly had to walk or shelter in place without heat? I've had to sit and wait for road side assistance a couple of times, and regardless of whether I was inside the city or 2 hours outside of it, it takes hours for them to arrive. Doesn't seem worth it.

marcyf

Neo Member
Balaclava, gloves, hat, boots and a down jacket - no days off!

Dural

We had a few days like that last winter, here's what my car read on the way to work;

uE0eGLN.png

That wasn't the coldest day either, I think we got down to -50F actual temp before wind chill.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Would the busses run? Even if they did, I would not have any clothing to be reasonably sure I'd survive in that cold, so I'd say no.

Duellist

Lol that ain’t shit. I’ve seen colder and still went to work. I lived in North Dakota
Lol are you replying to op? Cause I highly doubt you've seen much colder than that living in North Dakota. We live in Saskatchewan. Our weather is pretty much the same. Not that it's a contest lol

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
Lol it's really not that bad. You go from house to vehicle to work and back. You stay indoors lol it's not like we live outside haha. Our igloos do have heat.
And the heat from the breath of our dogs pulling the sled can be quite nice. You just have to draft into it.

GAMETA

Banned
Not if your not paid salary or have edo's(earned days off) which 90%of the population dont have.
damn, that sucks... not the employee's fault that the weather's fucked up... you could say the same about the company but I'd say less 3-4 days worth of pay makes a bigger difference on the employees side than the other way around, especially if it's weekly based...

Top Bottom