• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K @120hz HDR/VRR

Leyasu

Banned
Any 2020 Samsung QLED owners in here with an XsX and a copy of COD mw?

If so, I would like you to check something out please?

When I play this game, if I go into the menu on the tv and select Xbox where it shows the resolution and if VRR and hdr are on, this runs over 100hz and goes up to 119hz. You can see the fluctuations as the VRR displays the hz numbers. Did they unlock the frame rate for the new consoles?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The X900H I have apparently has issues with blurriness at 4K120, though I believe Sony is working on an update per some customer services responses posted on AVS forums.

I don’t really care personally as 120fps and the other HDMI 2.2 stuff didn't really factor into my purchasing decision. The X900H was just the best sub (barely) $1K 65” TV I could find after some research based on black levels, input lag, and no image retention risk as a paranoid person who regularly has ESPN on all day, games for hours on end etc.

I mostly play cinematic, single-player console games and opt for graphics over performance most of the time so I won’t be playing many things that offer 120fps anyway.

Good to know. If I ever wanted to go 4K@120Hz it would be for lowering the input lag on X900H (don't have one yet) down to 6.5ms from 14ms on 4K@60Hz HDR 4:4:4 mode. Might try 120fps mode occasionally but mostly 60Hz.

HDMI deep colour is enabled, I even tried a new cable and a different HDMI 2.1 port on my 3080. Also re-installed drivers and even tried the older ones. Result is I still can't go over 60hz on the TV. WTFIGO?

shimceltic

Neo Member
OK, set up the series X with 55inch Q80T and got it to recognise 4k@120hz. I set xbox refresh rate at 120hz and everything went bad. Set back to 60 and left at that.

CAB_Life

Q80T (and 90 series--all of 2020 QLED) is fucked up in VRR. Horrid black crush and it absolutely destroys certain games like Black Desert: full screen noise and tearing.

This is a known issue, apparently, but I'm mildly pissed that I've bought this 'incredible' tech that really isn't so incredible after all.

nahcir

Neo Member
Any 2020 Samsung QLED owners in here with an XsX and a copy of COD mw?

If so, I would like you to check something out please?

When I play this game, if I go into the menu on the tv and select Xbox where it shows the resolution and if VRR and hdr are on, this runs over 100hz and goes up to 119hz. You can see the fluctuations as the VRR displays the hz numbers. Did they unlock the frame rate for the new consoles?
Damn, it seems like there're issues all around.

I own a 65" Q95T on the latest firmware (1403) and a PS5. When I set CoD Black Ops Cold War up to output 4k 120Hz, it disables HDR for some reason. Can't test VRR obviously, as it isn't yet available on PS5.

Leyasu

Banned
Q80T (and 90 series--all of 2020 QLED) is fucked up in VRR. Horrid black crush and it absolutely destroys certain games like Black Desert: full screen noise and tearing.

This is a known issue, apparently, but I'm mildly pissed that I've bought this 'incredible' tech that really isn't so incredible after all.

Trust me, it ain't.

The colours pop on my screen. No washed out grey blacks or black crush.

The only game that has had crushed blacks for me is destiny 2. But apparently that is a bug with the hdr on the game itself.

Trust me, I have looked hard for any problem because I will send the set back for a refund if I find one.

Fake edit. Hold on. I just saw what you wrote a screen noise. I have noticed that netflix can be very noisy when I play it through the xbox. I will try deactivating the VRR next time I notice it and report back with my findings. I am already not happy with the DSE on my set, but want a second problem when I demand a refund and buy a 2021 set

point decay

Trust me, it ain't.

The colours pop on my screen. No washed out grey blacks or black crush.

The only game that has had crushed blacks for me is destiny 2. But apparently that is a bug with the hdr on the game itself.

Trust me, I have looked hard for any problem because I will send the set back for a refund if I find one.

Fake edit. Hold on. I just saw what you wrote a screen noise. I have noticed that netflix can be very noisy when I play it through the xbox. I will try deactivating the VRR next time I notice it and report back with my findings. I am already not happy with the DSE on my set, but want a second problem when I demand a refund and buy a 2021 set
are you on 1460.9?, Ive not noticed any black crush on D2 since the new FW (I did need to re-calibrate in game though (XSX))

Leyasu

Banned
are you on 1460.9?, Ive not noticed any black crush on D2 since the new FW (I did need to re-calibrate in game though (XSX))

I have not checked. I will have a look in a bit

Edit. Yeah just checked. I am indeed on 1460.9.

I don't have any problems with set except for the DSE. Apart from, colours and HDR pop in games and it looks amazing. It runs smooth as silk and VRR is really great

Last edited:

point decay

I don't have any problems with set except for the DSE. Apart from, colours and HDR pop in games and it looks amazing. It runs smooth as silk and VRR is really great

the bottom left of my Q80T panel is really quite bad for this, not even sure i could get a replacement now after three months

Zeeed

Q90T here. Learned a few things in the past few months with this TV. Here is my contribution. Willing to take any more advice if I am doing anything wrong.

I turn on "Game Mode" for the latency benefits.
It's supposed to turn off as much processing as Samsung wants so you can get the best ms response.

But I would turn everything off in "Game Mode" personally.
-Game motion plus (Off)
-Blur reduction (Off)
-Judder reduction (Off)
-LED clear motion (off, turning it on makes the picture darker as well)
I don't know why Samsung put all the above in, maybe if you have a struggling PC or last, last gen? You are supposed to want the least amount of processed video from the TV.

*Bonous: I also noticed game mode turns sound mode to "game" which I believe changes the equalizer settings. I noticed this while playing Immortals Fenyx Rising. the sound became loader and there were definite changes to the tone. I'm no sound expert to know if it is a benefit or not.

Also, if you find that your picture is too dark, remember there are these settings:
Let's start with the two obvious ones:
-Eco solution settings (turn it off)
-Intelligent Mode > Adaptive picture (turn it off)

Then try:
-HDMI Black Level
-Local dimming (I set it to High)
-Gamma
-Shadow Detail
-Brightness (of course)

And lastly, if you find your screen too dark when it used to be very bright, don't be afraid to call Samsung up if you are in warranty.

My screen became very dim for some reason one day, I would see it very bright when I turn the T.V. on and then it became very dim with all Eco solution turned off. So I called Samsung and they sent out a technician. Turns out I had a faulty power supply. They replaced it and I was good to go. T.V. can be configured so bright I can use it to sunbath if I wanted to.

So yeah, I constantly check how bright my screen is because of what happened to me ;)

Last edited:

point decay

My screen became very dim for some reason one day, I would see it very bright when I turn the T.V. on and then it became very dim with all Eco solution turned off. So I called Samsung and they sent out a technician. Turns out I had a faulty power supply. They replaced it and I was good to go. T.V. can be configured so bright I can use it to sunbath if I wanted to.

That sounds like the 6min bug with the firmware

Zeeed

Forgot to mention the "Picture Clarity Settings", it also has the LED clear Motion, etc. in there.

I personally have "Picture Clarity Settings" set to off.

Leyasu

Banned
Q90T here. Learned a few things in the past few months with this TV. Here is my contribution. Willing to take any more advice if I am doing anything wrong.

I turn on "Game Mode" for the latency benefits.
It's supposed to turn off as much processing as Samsung wants so you can get the best ms response.

But I would turn everything off in "Game Mode" personally.
-Game motion plus (Off)
-Blur reduction (Off)
-Judder reduction (Off)
-LED clear motion (off, turning it on makes the picture darker as well)
I don't know why Samsung put all the above in, maybe if you have a struggling PC or last, last gen? You are supposed to want the least amount of processed video from the TV.

*Bonous: I also noticed game mode turns sound mode to "game" which I believe changes the equalizer settings. I noticed this while playing Immortals Fenyx Rising. the sound became loader and there were definite changes to the tone. I'm no sound expert to know if it is a benefit or not.

Also, if you find that your picture is too dark, remember there are these settings:
Let's start with the two obvious ones:
-Eco solution settings (turn it off)
-Intelligent Mode > Adaptive picture (turn it off)

Then try:
-HDMI Black Level
-Local dimming (I set it to High)
-Gamma
-Shadow Detail
-Brightness (of course)

And lastly, if you find your screen too dark when it used to be very bright, don't be afraid to call Samsung up if you are in warranty.

So yeah, I constantly check how bright my screen is because of what happened to me ;)
That dimming part was a well known bug. I had it happen a couple of times to me. There is also a massive thread on the EU samsung forums about it. But it was fixed two or three firmwares ago.

I have already done most of what you said on tv. Apart from the DSE, it is a great set that I am really happy with.

Yeah, I play with game mode on, everything else off.

Last edited:

Zeeed

That sounds like the 6min bug with the firmware

I and the help centre thought that as well, but I went through Two firmware update waiting for the technician to come. And it did turn out to be a power supply issue, they replaced hardware, so not sure...

I could be wrong, I keep my fingers cross it is solved with the power supply replacement as I don't want any more issues during xmas holidays! LOL

point decay

im going to try out some of the Game Mode settings you suggested but if everything in GM should be turned off would it not be easier just to disable GM entirely?

Leyasu

Banned
im going to try out some of the Game Mode settings you suggested but if everything in GM should be turned off would it not be easier just to disable GM entirely?
Normally when you activate game mode, GMP and most of the other things are instantly disabled.

Zeeed

According to what I have read online, the touted 10ms input lag for Samsung 2020 q70t/q80t/q90t is achieved while in game mode. Outside of game mode, the input lag can be anywhere from 70-80ms.

So if you want to get that advertised 10ms input lag, you need to turn game mode on. The other things included in game mode are just Samsung extra stuff for, well, I don't know what for. Maybe it helps with fast moving sports game like football where the grass turns to a messy blurred mush when the camera is moving fast? *shrug*

Also, as far as I can tell, if you want to have VRR, you have to turn game mode on.

BTW: the 10ms is for 60hrz, if you can reach 120hrz, you can get input lag down to 5.5-7.0 ms input lag.

F.Y.I.: A television’s input lag is the amount of time that elapses between a picture being generated by a source and that image appearing onscreen. When gaming, you’ll experience this as the time between making an input and seeing the reaction appear onscreen. It’s only important for gamers, and even then, different gamers will have different sensitivity to lag.

So I think how game mode works is that it tries not to process the source as much as possible and just sends it right to the screen to produce that low input lag numbers.

Again, I'm no expert, just gathering things from the net.

TonyK

I opened a similar thread some weeks ago, just when I purchased my LG CX. I don't know how it will work on PS5 but I tested Doom Eternal in PC at 2K, 120hz, Gsync (the tv says VRR) and HDR and it worked fine. I only tested it in 2K because my NVIDIA doesn't have HDMI 2.1, so I can't output a 4K 120Hz HDR VRR signal.

However, I managed to reproduce the flickering shadows glitch reported for oled but in 2K in Horizon Zero Dawn for PC, but in that game the fluctuation in frames was insane. So my assumption is that if the framerate is more or less stable, and there is not an aggressive fluctuation in herzts, the gamma in VRR seems to work fine. But if the fluctuations are too prominent (from 60 to 120 constantly, for example), then occurs a nasty shadows flickering glitch. But again, these are only my assumptions.

CAB_Life

Why are we still disputing that the 2020 Samsungs have major problems with VRR and next gen consoles in general when there are threads after threads on their official support forums with owners have similar issues?

Samsung sent a technician out last week and are fully replacing my set, but still won't say if this will fix the issue. I suspect it won't I believe as there's something wrong/ cheap/ corner-cut with the 2.1 on these devices; faults they're too taciturn to ever admit.

Zeeed

I opened a similar thread some weeks ago, just when I purchased my LG CX. I don't know how it will work on PS5 but I tested Doom Eternal in PC at 2K, 120hz, Gsync (the tv says VRR) and HDR and it worked fine. I only tested it in 2K because my NVIDIA doesn't have HDMI 2.1, so I can't output a 4K 120Hz HDR VRR signal.

However, I managed to reproduce the flickering shadows glitch reported for oled but in 2K in Horizon Zero Dawn for PC, but in that game the fluctuation in frames was insane. So my assumption is that if the framerate is more or less stable, and there is not an aggressive fluctuation in herzts, the gamma in VRR seems to work fine. But if the fluctuations are too prominent (from 60 to 120 constantly, for example), then occurs a nasty shadows flickering glitch. But again, these are only my assumptions.

Are you trying to test HDR or just the flickering?

Have you tried doing 4K 120hrz NO HDR. I believe if you choose the 3840x2160 under the PC area in the nvidia control panel, you can get 4K 120hrz. You just won't be able to get HDR as well.

It's either 4k 120 no hdr or 4k 60 with hdr for the cards that are not 2.1.

Found this out when I selected this option and windows turned hdr off automatically. I couldn't turn it back on until i went back to 60hrz.

Would love to know why, didn't think hdr was that much more bandwidth...

Last edited:

Leyasu

Banned
Why are we still disputing that the 2020 Samsungs have major problems with VRR and next gen consoles in general when there are threads after threads on their official support forums with owners have similar issues?

Samsung sent a technician out last week and are fully replacing my set, but still won't say if this will fix the issue. I suspect it won't I believe as there's something wrong/ cheap/ corner-cut with the 2.1 on these devices; faults they're too taciturn to ever admit.
It is not that people are disputing it, just that some like myself don't have major or instantly notable degradations with it.

Like I said in my reply to one of your earlier posts, I have noticed that Netflix is noisy when playing through the xbox where VRR is always activated. I put it down to me not having 4K netflix, but I will check it it and give an update.

point decay

Normally when you activate game mode, GMP and most of the other things are instantly disabled.

According to what I have read online, the touted 10ms input lag for Samsung 2020 q70t/q80t/q90t is achieved while in game mode. Outside of game mode, the input lag can be anywhere from 70-80ms.

So if you want to get that advertised 10ms input lag, you need to turn game mode on. The other things included in game mode are just Samsung extra stuff for, well, I don't know what for. Maybe it helps with fast moving sports game like football where the grass turns to a messy blurred mush when the camera is moving fast? *shrug*

Also, as far as I can tell, if you want to have VRR, you have to turn game mode on.

BTW: the 10ms is for 60hrz, if you can reach 120hrz, you can get input lag down to 5.5-7.0 ms input lag.

F.Y.I.: A television’s input lag is the amount of time that elapses between a picture being generated by a source and that image appearing onscreen. When gaming, you’ll experience this as the time between making an input and seeing the reaction appear onscreen. It’s only important for gamers, and even then, different gamers will have different sensitivity to lag.

So I think how game mode works is that it tries not to process the source as much as possible and just sends it right to the screen to produce that low input lag numbers.

Again, I'm no expert, just gathering things from the net.
Ah right, makes sense. Thanks both

D-Dude

I have the Sony X950G, it should have 120hz.. Anybody here with the same Tv? The tv doesn’t show when or how many frames it runs, some tvs have a little menu to show the info...

nahcir

Neo Member
Is there anyone with a Samsung 2020 TV who owns both a PS5 and Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War? Whenever I run the game in performance mode, my TV just switches to 4k 120Hz but actually disables HDR. As soon as I close the game, everything returns to 4k 60Hz wirh HDR. I haven't been able to get a definitive answer on wheter that's an issue with the TV, the PS5 or the game itself :-/

Jigga117

Is there anyone with a Samsung 2020 TV who owns both a PS5 and Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War? Whenever I run the game in performance mode, my TV just switches to 4k 120Hz but actually disables HDR. As soon as I close the game, everything returns to 4k 60Hz wirh HDR. I haven't been able to get a definitive answer on wheter that's an issue with the TV, the PS5 or the game itself :-/
Because the PS5 is only 32Gbps for the HDMI 2.1 port. 40Gbps is need for 4k@120hz HDR 444

32Gbps supports 4k@120 8bit 444 and 8,10 and 12bit 4:2:0/4:2:2. It doesn’t specify on the chart that you can get HDR in 120hz for the bandwidth.
0lQeH8Q.jpg

Last edited:

Zeeed

So, I just got this video on my feed today, thought it would be relevant for some of the questions in this thread:

The Warm2 is the only thing that I have trouble adjusting to. When I go into a game, it looks normal. Just hard to adjusting to seeing the PS5 home screen with Warm2.

And I learn something new in this video. I must have missed this bit of information in the manual.

HDMI 4 (the one with the gamepad icon) is the ONLY HDMI port that has the 40gb 2.1 bandwidth.
Meaning if you want 4k @120hrz with VRR and HDR all at the same time, this is the port you want to use.

This would suck if people had multi next gen console and a pc gaming rig that all want to use that HDMI port!

He states it at this time: 2:39

Jigga117

So, I just got this video on my feed today, thought it would be relevant for some of the questions in this thread:

The Warm2 is the only thing that I have trouble adjusting to. When I go into a game, it looks normal. Just hard to adjusting to seeing the PS5 home screen with Warm2.

And I learn something new in this video. I must have missed this bit of information in the manual.

HDMI 4 (the one with the gamepad icon) is the ONLY HDMI port that has the 40gb 2.1 bandwidth.
Meaning if you want 4k @120hrz with VRR and HDR all at the same time, this is the port you want to use.

This would suck if people had multi next gen console and a pc gaming rig that all want to use that HDMI port!

He states it at this time: 2:39

Just one of the many reasons I went OLED which has 4 HDMI 2.1 ports

Top Bottom