• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[4K] The Witcher 3: PS4 Pro Analysis, PC Comparisons + Frame-Rate Tests!

Space_nut

looks like an ok patch. Checkerboard and improve IQ but the below would make it look so much better

- Draw distances and shadow quality remains the same.
- PC's Higher quality textures, higher shadow quality and Hair works are not included

Did they test it without Motion Blur? The basic PS4 version had better framerate with Motion Blur disabled.

looks like an ok patch. Checkerboard and improve IQ but the below would make it look so much better

- PC's Higher quality textures, higher shadow quality and Hair works are not included
lol of course you think that. Now say your thing!

True Fire

I played it last night and I actually found it quite a bit uglier haha. The low quality textures, particularly foliage, are blatantly obvious in 4K and stand out like a sore thumb.

The AA was outstanding though. I was very impressed with the cities.

I just can’t get over how hideous the foliage is. Yuck.

Decent jump in resolution with CBR, plus HBAO, 16x AF, better performance (apart from Crookback Bog and some cut-scenes) and less streaming issues, very nice upgrade.

Great to see there was more than just a resolution boost, CDPR have done a good job updating The Witcher 3 for the Pro, especially when they originally didn't plan to make a patch.

KageMaru

Skellige inside the blacksmith building in Fryesdal:

HBAO+
witcher3_2017_10_06_1cts9r.png

SSAO
witcher3_2017_10_06_1ursb6.png

Awesome thanks. Wonder how the Pro version compares. Wish I wasn't stuck on my phone to take a better look at all this.

This is much more than an OK patch. Let's give credit where it's due. You're definitely asking too much if you hair works is a possibility on any console.

onQ123

For the record at no point in time is the game 1920x2160 , the geometry/depth buffer is 3840x2160 from the start.

belvedere

Junior Butler

Bill-Murray-Ok.gif

I played some more last night. To me it's a minor upgrade. I'm sure Xbox owners will see a more significant leap with the X hardware. I guess already having it running at 1080p on PS4 had me a little spoiled.

Hawk269

Do you realize how demanding Hair works is?

I have a SLI Titan XP Rig and can run the game 4k/60fps with everything **EXCEPT** Hair Works. It just sucks the power and I drop easily into the 40's with it on. So no way consoles can have Hair Works unless they stuck to 1080p and added no other bells and whistles. Hair Works is just very demanding.

Already own on Pro and plan to play again... But I'm also getting free Xbox X... Almost feel like I don't want Xbox X version to be that much better because I don't want to buy this game again :)

FZW

Thanks to this patch cannot WAIT to see what extra will be added for the X1. Native 4K? Higher Quality textures? Consistent 30fps?

jaypah

Watched the video on my TV and honestly the difference was bigger than I expected. It's not perfect but it cleaned up nicely.

Ahasverus

Watched the video on my TV and honestly the difference was bigger than I expected. It's not perfect but it cleaned up nicely.
Wait until you see the game on your TV. It looks incredible truly incredible, given the scope of the game and the fact that it's a console running it.

It gives Horizon a run for its money, easily, which is amazing for a two years old game.

Really wish that CDPR would have went with a tricked-out 1440p upgrade (or even a PC Ultra-level comprable 1080p upgrade) instead of this. It does look better in some regards...but worse in others.

Glad to see CDPR provide this to gamers though. Can't wait to see the improvements to the XBO:X version.

Worse how?

Just getting around to playing it myself and my word, does it look so beautiful. You can spot oddities, sure, when gawking at screens. When you're playing it on your TV, at your normal sitting distance, the game just straight up looks like a painting. Really happy with the patch!

MaLDo

Just getting around to playing it myself and my word, does it look so beautiful. You can spot oddities, sure, when gawking at screens. When you're playing it on your TV, at your normal sitting distance, the game just straight up looks like a painting. Really happy with the patch!

That looks bad. Like everything but the main character looks at really low resolution. Is this screenshot at 4K?

ss_lemonade

60 fps on PC with hairworks is a way better experience than 4kCBR.

But honestly, you can't go wrong playing either way as it's still an amazing game regardless of platform.
Hairworks looks odd to me because of how it makes Geralt's hair almost plain white and smooth. It also kills performance even on a 1080 ti (if you are aiming for 4k)

So basically, max settings @ 30fps?

onQ123

Where does the 1920x2160 figure come from then?

Do you have to push this crap in every thread with CBR?

Because some of the rendering is sampled in a checkerboard pattern. And yes I'm going to give facts whenever I see the mistakes

KageMaru

Because some of the rendering is sampled in a checkerboard pattern. And yes I'm going to give facts whenever I see the mistakes

Care to share a link or article about what you claimed earlier?

You've made dubious claims before with other games, so I'd like to read up on where you're getting this info.

Also I don't recall seeing anyone making any real claims outside of 4K CBR, so I'm not sure where the mistakes were.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

Jesus lord! This looks bad! Good thing it has downsampling to look better.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Yeah, some of the foliage doesn't look too hot in the 4K screenshots. Everything else is a huge upgrade over pre-patch stuff.

LifEndz

Thank you CDPR and fat shouts to XB1X for making this a reality for Pro owners.

I just finished all the books and I’m really looking forward to a second playthrough for the platinum. Still kicking myself for not committing to winning the
Gwent tournament in Novigrad
. Would’ve loved a settings option for 1080 owners ala ROTTR, but I’m picking up a 4K tv this Black Friday so I’m not that mad.

Also, anyone think it’s realistic to expect a follow-up patch to address these performance dips in the bog area or is the Pro hardware just not capable of running that area at a stable 30?

cakely

It's a really impressive patch, especially for a game which had it's last expansion released months ago.

Looking forward to finishing the main game soon and moving on to the expansions.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Dictator93 said:
The detriment in performance makes sense (PS4pro does not have the bandwidth although it has shading performance) but kinda lame.
To be fair - areas of drops(transparencies) are more likely fillrate bound as opposed to compute bound - although that doesn't change the bandwidth being the most likely culprit.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The foliage has always looked fugly in Witcher 3. Horizon's foliage looked a generation ahead.

I'm not being snarky, but are the foliage and environment textures glitched in this?

It's been a really long time since I've played the console version but I don't remember it looking that bad.

EDIT: Just saw the replies... I did NOT remember it looking like that. I personally would much rather they have used the power to improve the textures alone and then the rest on better aliasing or something. I don't know. Playing it looking like it does now on my PC I just can't imagine playing it looking like that. I'm really not trying to be snobby. It kinda just hit me.

Renekton

I'm not being snarky, but are the foliage and environment textures glitched in this?

It's been a really long time since I've played the console version but I don't remember it looking that bad.
The foliage and leaves always looked either off or flat to me, even in PC ultra.

Jesus lord! This looks bad! Good thing it has downsampling to look better.

? It'd look exactly the same lol. If you'd DL the picture and open it up, fullscreen, in windows photo viewer, you'd get a good look at what it actually looks like.

EDIT: Just saw the replies... I did NOT remember it looking like that. I personally would much rather they have used the power to improve the textures alone and then the rest on better aliasing or something. I don't know. Playing it looking like it does now on my PC I just can't imagine playing it looking like that. I'm really not trying to be snobby. It kinda just hit me.

Again. It's not noticeable at all when you're actually playing. The foliage is un-changed from the old version of the game.

The fuck? The foliage is literally 3DS quality LOL

Tried it on both a 4k Vizio m series (2015 so no HDR) and my 1080p plasma. Huge upgrade over regular IMO.

I find that it looks better on the 1080p screen. I actually think the same for all games I've tested so far. Downsampling does wonders for IQ.

The foliage and leaves always looked either off or flat to me, even in PC ultra.

Sure, butI just popped in the game real quick and this is what it looks like for me on PC ultra at 3440x1440, so not even 4k...

screenshot95x7kqp.png

Compared to the picture that was posted...

37501534942_1881758617_o.png

That looks more than just a little off or flat. That is why I had such a severe reaction.

If it truly always looked that way then It's just my memory that is bad but still that is a HUGE difference. I played the Xbox version way back when and I could swear it didn't look that bad but I guess it did.

As for it not being so bad in motion... I don't even know what to say. I mean, if you enjoy it then whatever works for you but objectively, whether it is in motion or not, you are going to see a huge difference with better foliage and textures.

For the record at no point in time is the game 1920x2160 , the geometry/depth buffer is 3840x2160 from the start.
Fact
There is a very important part in the video where Tom interestingly points out, how having motion blur off and moving the camera reveals that typical, alternating saw tooth pattern from checkerboarding even on Geometry edges.
Why would that pattern resolve on Geometry edges unless the Geometry buffer was originally 1920X2160?
screenshot-2017-10-7dv5oab.png

Top Bottom