• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

Oh, I got you. I just meant, that's why I'm ready to give up on it. I am only using it as a dedicated player, so might as well ditch it and get a real standalone player that will be better. Gonna send it in to MS first and see if they can do any magic to it. Don't want to sell it knowing it has an odd issue.

Ah, gotcha. Sorry for my misunderstanding of your post.
Funny enough, my XBO is basically just a Rock Band machine right now. But I barely game anymore anyways.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I just watched two unboxings of the US version of Blade Runner and it's only three discs. It's just UHD Final Cut, Blu-ray Final Cut and a DVD of Dangerous Days. No other cuts are included.
Yet there are US reviewers saying they got four discs... wat

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I just watched two unboxings of the US version of Blade Runner and it's only three discs. It's just UHD Final Cut, Blu-ray Final Cut and a DVD of Dangerous Days. No other cuts are included.

yeah that's what I thought based on reading previously, which is why the blu-ray set of all the cuts isn't going anywhere

Amazon lists four discs, thought it doesn't show any alternate cuts. But this one unboxing showed it. I'm so confused. What the heck is really in this?
Amazon said:
Disc 1 – Blade Runner: The Final Cut – 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray
· 4K remastered trailer
· Introduction and Commentary by Director Ridley Scott
· Commentary by Executive Producer/Screenwriter Hampton Fancher, Screenwriter David Peoples, Producer Michael Deeley and Production Executive Katherine Haber
· Commentary by Visual Futurist Syd Mead, Production Designer Lawrence G. Paull, Art Director David Snyder and Special Photographic Effects Supervisors Douglas Trumbull, Richard Yuricich and David Dryer
Disc 2 – Blade Runner: The Final Cut Blu-ray
· Introduction and Commentary by Director Ridley Scott
· Commentary by Executive Producer/Screenwriter Hampton Fancher, Screenwriter David Peoples, Producer Michael Deeley and Production Executive Katherine Haber
· Commentary by Visual Futurist Syd Mead, Production Designer Lawrence G. Paull, Art DirectorDavid Snyder and Special Photographic Effects Supervisors Douglas Trumbull, Richard Yuricich and David Dryer
Disc 3 – Blade Runner Bonus Disc 1
· Dangerous Days: Making Blade Runner – The Ultimate Documentary on the Making of the Film, Culled from Over 80 Interviews with Cast, Crew and Colleagues and Hours of Outtakes and On-Set Footage.
Disc 4 – Blade Runner Bonus Disc 2
· The Electric Dreamer: Remembering Philip K. Dick
· Sacrificial Sheep: The Novel vs. the Film
· Philip K. Dick: The Blade Runner Interviews
· Signs of the Times: Graphic Design
· Fashion Forward: Wardrobe & Styling
· Screen Tests: Rachael and Pris
· The Light That Burns: Remembering Jordan Cronenweth
· Deleted & Alternate Scenes
· 1982 Promotional Featurettes
· Trailers and TV Spots
· Promoting Dystopia: Rendering the Poster Art
· Deck-a-Rep: The True Nature of Rick Deckard
· Nexus Generation: Fans and Filmmakers
Includes UltraViolet so you can enjoy the film on many different compatible devices. MUST ENTER REDEMPTION CODE BY 2018-09-30 TO REDEEM ULTRAVIOLET OFFER. DOES NOT INCLUDE iTUNES FILE.

Amazon lists four discs, thought it doesn't show any alternate cuts. But this one unboxing showed it. I'm so confused. What the heck is really in this?

Yeah, that's strange. The other 3 discs are accounted for unanimously, but this is the one that raises questions:

Disc 4 – Blade Runner Bonus Disc 2
· The Electric Dreamer: Remembering Philip K. Dick
· Sacrificial Sheep: The Novel vs. the Film
· Philip K. Dick: The Blade Runner Interviews
· Signs of the Times: Graphic Design
· Fashion Forward: Wardrobe & Styling
· Screen Tests: Rachael and Pris
· The Light That Burns: Remembering Jordan Cronenweth
· Deleted & Alternate Scenes
· 1982 Promotional Featurettes
· Trailers and TV Spots
· Promoting Dystopia: Rendering the Poster Art
· Deck-a-Rep: The True Nature of Rick Deckard
· Nexus Generation: Fans and Filmmakers

In both the video you posted and the review previously posted, this disc is labelled to be the alternate cuts. The listing however boasts a lot of other shit instead and doesnt mention them. Maybe that's included under the header of "Deleted & Alternate Scenes" and they've just packed a shitload of stuff onto the one disc?

GTI Guy

Should be the same release from 2007 since it won't have HDR or Atmos on the soundtrack.

Sorry to bug more about blade runner....

So I don't have a 4k TV and probably won't for a while. I saw the final cut for the first time about a month ago and really liked the movie. Want to buy the best version of the movie, since I'm not getting 4k for a while maybe going blueray is good enough.

Is this the best out there? 30th anniversary edition...?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008M4MB8K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Sorry to bug more about blade runner....

So I don't have a 4k TV and probably won't for a while. I saw the final cut for the first time about a month ago and really liked the movie. Want to buy the best version of the movie, since I'm not getting 4k for a while maybe going blueray is good enough.

Is this the best out there? 30th anniversary edition...?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008M4MB8K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

That says temporarily out of stock, but that one I don't think is coming back in print. Good news is that the vast majority of the content in there is apparently in the new 4K edition. The final cut and all archival versions are on regular blu in the 4K set apparently, and the Dangerous Days documentary is still on good ole fashioned, 20 year old DVD.

Yes, I bought Baywatch on UHD.

No, I am not ashamed!
That movie is funny as shit. We watched it tonight.

I'm having the same glitchy shit as another person in this thread. UHD blurays and regular blurays seem to hitch. It's driving me nuts. Any suggestions for stand alone players?

GTI Guy

That says temporarily out of stock, but that one I don't think is coming back in print. Good news is that the vast majority of the content in there is apparently in the new 4K edition. The final cut and all archival versions are on regular blu in the 4K set apparently, and the Dangerous Days documentary is still on good ole fashioned, 20 year old DVD.

Ahh yes indeed that one looks out of print. I guess I'll just keep my 4k preorder. Thanks

LegendX48

I assume I am alone in this issue though, or the internet would be filled with complaints. I can't find anyone having my exact issue.

You're not alone in this, my S likes to hitch in ALL blu-rays, not just 4k discs.

edit: I think I misread what was going on. Still, my S hitches with all movies at random intervals.

aravuus

Anyone know the EU version of this tv?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MZF7WCT/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Anyone own the set? It's the highest recommended on ratings.com

C7 is the model name everywhere, so it's OLED55C7-something. It's OLED55C7V in Finland, so it's probably the same in all of Europe.

I own the 55 inch B7 which is pretty much the exact same TV aside from some minor build differences (different stand, C7 has a black bezel vs B7's silver one etc.) and I have been very, very happy with it. The true blacks are a goddamn game changer for sure, movies and shows look AMAZZZIIIINGGG in a dark room.

It's a bit of an investment though, so definitely look into the strengths and weaknesses of OLED displays before jumping in.

e: we actually have a more TV/display focused thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1323499

Walked into Best Buy today and saw that they had Batman and Harley Quinn on 4K.

Interesting that Warner Brothers is pushing for 4K for their animation. Not sure if it makes a difference, but it's cool to see 2D animation on the new format.

brau

C7 is the model name everywhere, so it's OLED55C7-something. It's OLED55C7V in Finland, so it's probably the same in all of Europe.

I own the 55 inch B7 which is pretty much the exact same TV aside from some minor build differences (different stand, C7 has a black bezel vs B7's silver one etc.) and I have been very, very happy with it. The true blacks are a goddamn game changer for sure, movies and shows look AMAZZZIIIINGGG in a dark room.

It's a bit of an investment though, so definitely look into the strengths and weaknesses of OLED displays before jumping in.

e: we actually have a more TV/display focused thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1323499

B7 or C6? much difference?

C7 still convinces me because of the brighter whites and all in all a good display in any kind of room. Just not sure if the extra money gets me the best deal.

You're not alone in this, my S likes to hitch in ALL blu-rays, not just 4k discs.

edit: I think I misread what was going on. Still, my S hitches with all movies at random intervals.

Here's an example of mine:

3SVNPyt.gif

The audio glitches out and pops too. It doesn't glitch the exact same ways evrey time, but always the same spots like it is an issue with the S reading the disc.

aravuus

B7 or C6? much difference?

C7 still convinces me because of the brighter whites and all in all a good display in any kind of room. Just not sure if the extra money gets me the best deal.

Unless the last year's models (B/C/E6) are considerably cheaper than this year's and you're strapped for cash, I don't see any reason to get one of them over the B7 or C7 (which are the same exact TV, seriously).

Unless you want 3D. This year's models dropped 3D altogether.

brau

Unless the last year's models (B/C/E6) are considerably cheaper than this year's and you're strapped for cash, I don't see any reason to get one of them over the B7 or C7 (which are the same exact TV, seriously).

Unless you want 3D. This year's models dropped 3D altogether.

Cool. Good to know. I'll go check them out and then see about picking one up. Probably the C7.

Thanks for the input :)

j-wood

I'm thinking about selling my xbox one s, as it's literally just used as a UHD player.

I've had issues with it not playing those properly, so what's the point? What's a good stand alone player to buy?

I have the samsung KS8000 UHD TV if it makes sense to get a samsung player as well for any kind of feature linking.

What's the verdict on this one?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072F9T5MR/?tag=neogaf0e-20

LegendX48

^ isn't that a revision of their 2016 flagship model or something along those lines?

http://i.imgur.com/3SVNPyt.gif[img]

The audio glitches out and pops too. It doesn't glitch the exact same ways evrey time, but always the same spots like it is an issue with the S reading the disc.[/QUOTE]
Oh wow, that's some crazy screen tearing. I've yet to experience anything like that myself. I always get stuttering and slow downs followed by quick fast forwards of the video catching up.

kurahadol

Question that's kind of related to the last question.

I'm considering getting an Xbox One S, which will almost solely be used as a UHD player (and perhaps a game here and there). Is this a good route to go or is a stand alone a better option?

I just see they are usually around the same price (Standalone vs One S) and if I get an added benefit of a few xbox games, so be it.

Antsy about moving into 4k, just bought an X900E that's arriving today.

Edit: Noticing by previous posts, the S is not ideal. Think that answers my question.

I'm thinking about selling my xbox one s, as it's literally just used as a UHD player.

I've had issues with it not playing those properly, so what's the point? What's a good stand alone player to buy?

I have the samsung KS8000 UHD TV if it makes sense to get a samsung player as well for any kind of feature linking.

What's the verdict on this one?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072F9T5MR/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I had it before I foolishly traded it in for the S. It looked fucking great. I've heard murmurs that the Sony X800 is slightly better. I don't know. I've seen the X800 in action, but on a different TV. It looked great as well. I'd really get whichever I could find cheaper. Samsungs new model is out there in the world now as well (9500 instead of 8500). It is supposed to have better load times, and the one review I read said a little bit better colors. But, it is also like $300.

Oh wow, that's some crazy screen tearing. I've yet to experience anything like that myself. I always get stuttering and slow downs followed by quick fast forwards of the video catching up.

That was honestly a "good" run, also. Some times it is wayyyy worse, like fully sticking on frames and just wigging the fuck out.

brau

I'm considering getting an Xbox One S, which will almost solely be used as a UHD player (and perhaps a game here and there). Is this a good route to go or is a stand alone a better option?

I just see they are usually around the same price (Standalone vs One S) and if I get an added benefit of a few xbox games, so be it.

I got the XB1S for its 4k player and I don't regret it. Got a few games with it, but 90% of the time it's to be turned on is for a movie. The cheapest 4k player there is. Some people say they have some issues with the player I have yet to see any. Also, the calibration for your TV through the XB1S is pretty awesome. So use that to get the best out of your panel. I'm sure there are better calibration kits, but that one had good results for me.

The jump to 4k is pretty awesome, I think you'll be impressed.

j-wood

Edit: Noticing by previous posts, the S is not ideal. Think that answers my question.

If you decide to go the xbox route, I might be in the market to sell you mine along with games if you are interested. PM me!

j-wood

Is there any difference between the Samsung K8500 and M8500 UHD player? The M is $220 and the K is $199. I know the k is the 2016 model, but did the 2017 do anything different?

The cheapest 4k player there is. Some people say they have some issues with the player I have yet to see any...

I mean, I literally just posted a gif I recorded of mine wigging out. YouTube also has a good number of videos showing people with other issues.

Not that I would say don't do it. But, it is a gamble. Also, when it does work, it does look slightly worse than standalone players. Nothing huge, but if you are a stickler and really notice small details, think about that.

Vyer

Yeah, I love my XB1S, it's my main machine and basically the streaming/TV hub for our living room and works great, but it's iffy as a UHD player. I've had some issues like that tearing and stuff, though not always.

j-wood

I don't care for 3D, and don't have a 3D TV so that part doesn't matter.

The K and M seemed to have good reviews? Though I'm just looking on amazon and best buy to be fair. Is there another one I should look at in the same price range?

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Just picked up vizio 65" M series with 5.1 40" sound bar. Excited to get home. Seemed like a decent compromise for ~1k

Any recommendations on a 200ish player?

3SVNPyt.gif

The audio glitches out and pops too. It doesn't glitch the exact same ways evrey time, but always the same spots like it is an issue with the S reading the disc.

I've gotten that same kind of behavior on multiple discs playing on the X1S.

I'm really just waiting for the UHD standalone player market to expand with more options and cheaper prices. The only model that is really appealing to me is the Oppo 203 but that's too expensive. I would be down with the LG 970 if the thing didn't purr like a jet engine (so I've heard). The rest don't have DV so no deal.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Yeah, I need to get a dedicated player soon.
Don't like using the X1S anymore due to random stuttering at least once per movie.

Nospaceinmyname

Neo Member
My K8500 overheated and died within 3 months of ownership, straight trash. Lots of people on AVSF were having problems with it too. Not sure about the M model but I'd definitely research it before springing for it

Glad i got rid of my K8500 when I did, picked up an Oppo 203 and freaking LOVE IT

OSHAN

I have the K8500. Got it for 110 bucks on an Amazon Warehouse deal. Had some scuffs on the top, but I don't care about that shit. Anyway, I've had it for about 10 months now. Haven't had any issues. Image quality is great. Loading times are fast. I'd love an OPPO, but I couldn't justify the 400 extra bucks.

soundtest

Banned
I redeemed my GOTG2 Steelbook combo package on disney rewards and it redeemed as a UD 3d version of the film and yet it didnt give me a UHD copy of it on Vudu : /

I hate how inconsistent 4k digital code redemption is. Half the time you get a 4k copy and half the time it's just standard ass HD. Get your shit together film studios.

I redeemed my GOTG2 Steelbook combo package on disney rewards and it redeemed as a UD 3d version of the film and yet it didnt give me a UHD copy of it on Vudu : /

I hate how inconsistent 4k digital code redemption is. Half the time you get a 4k copy and half the time it's just standard ass HD. Get your shit together film studios.

Yeah I was so disappointed when I redeemed Power Rangers and only got the HD version.

My TV supports Dolbyvision and vudu streaming but my X1S does not support DV (which will eventually get replaced). I was hoping to stream the DV version to see the difference between it and the HDR10 version but now that's not happening.

Amazon's listing for the Sony player says you get two free Sony movies of your choice. Does anyone know if that is the same at Best Buy, or some amazon exclusive thing?

Westonian

Amazon's listing for the Sony player says you get two free Sony movies of your choice. Does anyone know if that is the same at Best Buy, or some amazon exclusive thing?

It's for all retailers as far as I know. t's a certificate in the box with a code. You sign onto a special Sony site and pick out your two movies. I think it also let's you purchase a few other movies at a decent discount.

Very tempted to get the x800 as a new SACD/DVD-A player. I had an old Oppo upconverting DVD player that died at the beginning of the year. Repairing that would be cheaper, but I'd rather start looking at making my set-up 4K.

Westonian

Very tempted to get the x800 as a new SACD/DVD-A player. I had an old Oppo upconverting DVD player that died at the beginning of the year. Repairing that would be cheaper, but I'd rather start looking at making my set-up 4K.

Get the Oppo 205! Only $1300 for a great SACD player that also happens to play 4K UHD BRDs.

mm04

I have an X800. It's a competent 4K player which can play the formats you want as well as a bunch of audio/video media files well. But I only went with the X800 because I already have an Oppo 103D paired with it and that thing plays all of my music exclusively. It's a much better audio player than the X800 is.

So a weird thing happened as I put in GOTG2 to play on my Xbox one S, it started playing in 1080p. I was dumbfounded. Come to find out , all display settings in the Xbox settings we're reset. Not only that, 4K resolution wasn't even an option. I had to go in and manually reselect all the 4K settings.

Movie is unbelievably beautiful.

mittelos

It's a Sony promotion so shouldn't matter which retailer you use; it's not a huge selection to pick from but you'll find something worth picking up and as another poster mentioned it allows you to purchase some other at discount. I was surprised how quickly the movies came after I picked them, basically shipped the next day, I figured it would be like some of these giveaway promotions where it takes weeks.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there anything that can improve the x1s playback? Eg disconnecting internet, creating a dedicated profile with no friends or notifications etc?

Is there anything that can improve the x1s playback? Eg disconnecting internet, creating a dedicated profile with no friends or notifications etc?

I doubt anyone has tried. But, I also really doubt it makes a difference. I'm sure MS could make things better through updates. But, they probably see no need. I am assuming the number of people bitching about any issues is super tiny. In my case, Batman V Superman has been doing what I posted since it came out in july of 2016. So, over a year and no fix.

Top Bottom