• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

aravuus

I'll download the app. Any other useful apps? Do you use one for your sound bar?

Sorry, don't know of any others. I have a regular old amp with passive speakers too, no soundbar here.

But if the app I use isn't to your liking, try searching for "LG tv" on google play. It seems like there are a lot of different magic remote apps.

Robot Pants

The three old discs included in the Blade Runner set are literally the old discs used since 2007 with identical silkscreening. Makes me wonder if they are recycling unsold discs into the new set.

And of course, at some point they realized if they included the discs that they advertised they would be labeled Disc One, Disc Two, Disk Four.

So instead we got Disk Three, the theatrical cuts.
Im so confused by the whole Blade Runner 4k thing.
I own the 30th Anniversary Cut BluRay (never watched it). So what exactly is wrong with the 4k version? Should I not buy it yet? Are they including discs I already have that they shouldn't be?

brau

Sorry, don't know of any others. I have a regular old amp with passive speakers too, no soundbar here.

But if the app I use isn't to your liking, try searching for "LG tv" on google play. It seems like there are a lot of different magic remote apps.

Cool. I'll try the one you sent me. I just want to verify everything is working as intended. Drives me nuts to not know if its running at a full UHD with a very good connection.

EDIT: app looks great. I'll pair it with my TV later today.

To add to this, buy it from Amazon UK instead if you don't mind the wait. It's (currently) cheaper, region free and sometimes has 3D releases which don't come to the USA ever or much later. I got The Great Wall in 3D for $20, which is a fun popcorn flick and it's BEAUTIFUL and has Atmos. Amazon UK movies get to me about a week after they're shipped from the UK to Southern California. I have 5+ 3D Blu-rays pre-ordered already.
Are you sure it's in English? Went to look at it and under audio only french is listed.

Edit. It seems french amazon also has spiderman homecoming in a uhd, 3d version.

Westonian

I own the 30th Anniversary Cut BluRay (never watched it). So what exactly is wrong with the 4k version? Should I not buy it yet? Are they including discs I already have that they shouldn't be?
If you already have the 30th Blu-ray, and you want the new 4K UHD, you won't miss anything. If you are buying the 4K and really want the bonus features disc, you're better off waiting until Warner fixes the SKU.

soundtest

Banned
Are you sure it's in English? Went to look at it and under audio only french is listed.

Edit. It seems french amazon also has spiderman homecoming in a uhd, 3d version.
I'm holding off on getting a euro set for Homecoming until it's confirmed to be region free. I did preorder Wonder Woman 4k +3d though since WB doesnt deal in bullshit region nonsense

John Wick is a nice upgrade from the Blu-ray, but not amazing (The Blu-ray already had the awesome Atmos track). Chapter 2 is amazeballs! One of the best 4K discs available to date.

Yes Chapter 2, is awesome to look at in HDR and listen too as well, but what took it up a notch for me, is when I added the buttkicker to my hometheater seating that transducer combine with a regular subwoofer and 7.1 Surround is the best Home Theater experience I have ever felt. If you can get you a tactile transducer with a capable amp do it, it's a gimmick but an immersive one.

If you already have the 30th Blu-ray, and you want the new 4K UHD, you won't miss anything. If you are buying the 4K and really want the bonus features disc, you're better off waiting until Warner fixes the SKU.

You're also good if you have the 25th Anniversary Blu-Ray (either regular or briefcase 5-disc sets).

I bought my 4K tv in December 2015, fucked up big time as it's not HDR. :( I wasn't aware of it back then.

Currently just got a standard blu-ray player and Netflix/Amazon 4K streaming stuff, I'm sure my standard blu-rays look better than streaming 4K... My tv is connected via ethernet as well.

Vashetti

Banned
I bought my 4K tv in December 2015, fucked up big time as it's not HDR. :( I wasn't aware of it back then.

Currently just got a standard blu-ray player and Netflix/Amazon 4K streaming stuff, I'm sure my standard blu-rays look better than streaming 4K... My tv is connected via ethernet as well.

Yup they will do. Bitrate on average is significantly higher.

There's nothing wrong with the 4K version. It's one of the best 4K discs ever made.

I'll be honest, as impressive as Planet Earth II is, I'm not enamored by the program itself as I was with PE 1. If anyone here stateside want to take it off my hands for $32 shipped, PM me. Giving one headsup before i take it to bst.

I know captive will be interested in this:

Today, Sony Electronics is introducing their newest true 4K HDR home theater projector models, including the entry-level VPL-VW285ES, delivering superior picture quality for AV enthusiasts seeking to upgrade their cinema and gaming experience for less than $5,000. With up to 200 inches in true 4K HDR and more than four times the resolution of full HD, the VPL-VW285ES delivers a picture that’s so incredibly lifelike, it’s like being in the scene or at the game.

Ideal for those taking their first step into the home projector market, this cost-effective projector fits neatly into any home theater or living room. The VPL-VW285ES supports 4K HDR signals at 60p with 10-bit depth for compatibility with gaming systems and high frame rate movies. Viewers will enjoy the TRILUMINOSTM DISPLAY that provides a much broader color range while reproducing more tones and textures, and longer playing time than a standard projector with operation time of up to 6,000 hours for fewer interruptions and reduced maintenance costs.

For cinema-viewers and gamers seeking to advance into mid-level home theater projectors, Sony also announced the new VPL-VW385ES true 4K HDR home theater projector. The VPL-VW385ES allows users to enjoy smooth, fluid on-screen action paired with high brightness and contrast ratio. With an impressive Dynamic Contrast of 200,000:1, images are projected that are clear and crisp with deep, rich blacks and detailed highlights. Thanks to the Advanced Iris, cinema-viewers and gamers are able to witness bright highlights and dark scenes in vivid, lifelike detail. Both models include Sony’s Reality Creation feature, which provides a crisper picture quality on 4K content and enhanced upscaling from HD content that results in a truly detailed and refined viewing experience across all genres of movies, TV and gaming, including action to the fast paced speed of sports.

“Sony’s newest line-up of true 4K HDR home theater projectors delivers the engagement experience for cinema-viewers and gamers of all genres,” said Mike Fasulo, Sony Electronics President and COO. “The new projector line provides an entry-level for those seeking to elevate their viewing experience to true 4K with the VW285ES or reach further into image perfection with the VW385ES home theater projector experience.”

Sony VPL-VW285ES 4K HDR Home Theater Projector, $4,999.99 MSRP
Sony VPL-VW385ES 4K HDR Home Theater Projector, $7,999.99 MSRP
Sony VPL-VW675ES 4K HDR Home Theater Projector, $14,999.99 MSRP

https://blog.sony.com/press/sony-el...ine-with-new-entry-level-model-at-cedia-2017/

There's nothing wrong with the 4K version. It's one of the best 4K discs ever made.
Yeah, I'm not understanding the dismissal of the 4K UHD in the posts above. I just watched it last night and was floored. The HDR, both light and dark ends of the spectrum, was excellent (especially for being from a film source), the film grain was superb, and the detail was outstanding. I can't recommend the disc enough, to be honest.

Does anyone here have the LG player that does Dolby Vision? What are the opinions of it? It got the update for DV, but it apparently it was pulled? I'd love to own the Oppo, but I can't justify that pricetag and the LG seems to be the next best player that can do DV.

jett

D-Member
Does anyone know of other websites that actually post 4K screenshots of UHD-BDs? Trying to find screencaps of Blade Runner.

A bit OT, but does anyone have the exact run times for the various Blade Runner versions? The disc that had three versions (US Theatrical, Intl Theatrical, and Director's Cut) on it has the following run times:

1:56:35
1:57:17
1:57:32

Trying to figure out which is which so I can label them correctly.

Thanks!

Edit - Never mind, figured it out.

yRyOo0R.jpg

Sony is crazy quick to ship out their movies for that free movies deal. Also have Star Trek Beyond and the first two (current) planet of the apes movies coming this weekend. Haven't watched Blade Runner yet either. Gonna a be watching a lot of movies the next couple of weeks.

Cheapest true 4K projector yet.
Very cool.

Yep! It makes me excited knowing my timeline is going to be really viable if they're hitting that price point already. I'm curious how well the HDR is displayed. That's going to be the tricky part about having a projector.

which three UHDs released the past 2 to 3 months have the best IQ?

i want a new movie but i only try to purchase the releases with high IQ.

Why does Over the Garden Wall not have a bluray? What is this bullshit Cartoon Network

Edit: didn't realize this thread was just for 4K bluray my b.

Whoever suggested the John Wick movies thank you. I really enjoyed the first one and there were some amazing scenes to watch on the 4k release. Probably gonna watch chapter 2 tomorrow night.

I really wanna get the four Harry Potter movies in 4k that are out. Thoughts?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Yep! It makes me excited knowing my timeline is going to be really viable if they're hitting that price point already. I'm curious how well the HDR is displayed. That's going to be the tricky part about having a projector.

the digitalbits review of blade runner was done on one of those epson "not quite true 4k" projectors with HDR and Hunt raved about it. So i think as long as your in a bat cave, which for us given our rooms, won't be hard, it should look fantastic.

exciting times.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Getting an Xbox One S tomorrow! (not the free one)

Any animated stuff available in UHD? Didn't care for the movie too much but would still love to see Your Name in UHD.

I've seen an animated Batman and Harley Quinn movie on UHD in stores.
And the Despicable Me movies and The Secret Life Of Pets if you count CGI.

brau

Worked like a charm. :D

The info button worked perfectly.

Wait. You can pre-order the entire series in 4K from Amazon UK for around $130 shipped. Buying just 4 for $100 today would be foolish.

I just jumped in so pardon the ignorance, but are these discs multi-region? Looking into this format, and these movies in 4K HDR are a good reason for me to make the jump.

brau

Great! The lack of info button on the remote is kind of baffling, but at least there are free solutions to it as long as you have a smart phone.

I actually struggled to get it setup. Was not aware that I had to connect to the same WiFi the tv is getting its connection for it to connect. Pretty weird pipeline. But oh well.

Next question.

Does Dolby Vision on Netflix mean that the show supports 4k?

I remember on my other TV that HDR didn't mean 4k. Shows like Daredevil were HD but with HDR support. Now, I know that I get 4k because shows like Narcos show in 4K no problem. But shows like Jessica Jones show in Dolby Vision but now that I have the info button I notice that it goes between 480.. 720 and sometimes go to 1080. Wth? It's not the connection. Have 100MB and other shows get 4k no problem and consistently. youtube also streams with no issues.

Have you guys noticed anything like this?

I've seen an animated Batman and Harley Quinn movie on UHD in stores.
I watched Batman and Harley Quinn last week. It was nothing to write home about. I did notice some bright HDR near the end of the movie, but, beyond that, I could've been fooled it wasn't in 4K.

Does Dolby Vision on Netflix mean that the show supports 4k?

I remember on my other TV that HDR didn't mean 4k. Shows like Daredevil were HD but with HDR support. Now, I know that I get 4k because shows like Narcos show in 4K no problem. But shows like Jessica Jones show in Dolby Vision but now that I have the info button I notice that it goes between 480.. 720 and sometimes go to 1080. Wth? It's not the connection. Have 100MB and other shows get 4k no problem and consistently. youtube also streams with no issues.

Dolby Vision titles are always 4K. What TV do you have? What source is pulling Netflix for you? With a 100Mb connection, you shouldn't have any problems reaching UHD with Dolby Vision on Netflix. Does the stream ever reach 4K or does it ramp up only to 1080p?

brau

Dolby Vision titles are always 4K. What TV do you have? What source is pulling Netflix for you? With a 100Mb connection, you shouldn't have any problems reaching UHD with Dolby Vision on Netflix. Does the stream ever reach 4K or does it ramp up only to 1080p?

Well, this is good to know.

I have the LG 55B7. I have no issues getting 4k from the youtube app, and also from other movies with in Netflix that are only 4K but not Dolby Vision. For example, watching 'Narcos' I get a pretty stable 4K all around no problem through the whole episode. Some people suggested I check the playback settings, but even in auto, it doesn't do 4K eventually. Here are my settings.

Source? I hope you mean this. I have the internet router plugged in directly to the TV for a more stable performance. I tested the connection and I do have 100MB.

The Dolby Vision never gets to 4K. Not even close. Actually, it spends most of the time bouncing from 480 and 720 and occasionally bouncing up to 1080.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Well, this is good to know.

I have the LG 55B7. I have no issues getting 4k from the youtube app, and also from other movies with in Netflix that are only 4K but not Dolby Vision. For example, watching 'Narcos' I get a pretty stable 4K all around no problem through the whole episode. Some people suggested I check the playback settings, but even in auto, it doesn't do 4K eventually. Here are my settings.

Source? I hope you mean this. I have the internet router plugged in directly to the TV for a more stable performance. I tested the connection and I do have 100MB.

The Dolby Vision never gets to 4K. Not even close. Actually, it spends most of the time bouncing from 480 and 720 and occasionally bouncing up to 1080.

What speeds are you getting on Netflix's connection test site?
www.fast.com

FN-2187

I have been having similar issues with Netflix not hitting 4K for the last 4 days. Quality bounces all over the place, with random drops to 480 (sometimes it will stay in SD for 5-10 minutes.) I also have 100MB internet and all other 4K streaming (Youtube, Amazon, etc.) that I have tried works perfectly. It's been driving me crazy. I have tried Xbox One S app, casting from my phone and using the built-in app (I have a Vizio), and it doesn't matter; same issues.

I tried calling Netflix and they said it's an ISP problem. Called my ISP and they ran a bunch of checks and said nothing is wrong (which I agree with, since I have zero internet/streaming issues outside of Netflix).

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
so what exactly is the difference between the Sony VPL-VW285ES and the VPL-VW385ES?
they're both 1500 lumens both support HDR and such. all they're features look exactly the same.

one downer is they only list HDR10 no dolby vision.

so what exactly is the difference between the Sony VPL-VW285ES and the VPL-VW385ES?
they're both 1500 lumens both support HDR and such. all they're features look exactly the same.

one downer is they only list HDR10 no dolby vision.

The 385 has an Auto-Iris for dynamic contrast, while the 285 does not. Basically 385 has better contrast.

The 385 also supports lens memory and blanking, which is nice if you have a 2.35 setup and need to change the lens between 2.35 and 16:9.

brau

I have been having similar issues with Netflix not hitting 4K for the last 4 days. Quality bounces all over the place, with random drops to 480 (sometimes it will stay in SD for 5-10 minutes.) I also have 100MB internet and all other 4K streaming (Youtube, Amazon, etc.) that I have tried works perfectly. It's been driving me crazy. I have tried Xbox One S app, casting from my phone and using the built-in app (I have a Vizio), and it doesn't matter; same issues.

I tried calling Netflix and they said it's an ISP problem. Called my ISP and they ran a bunch of checks and said nothing is wrong (which I agree with, since I have zero internet/streaming issues outside of Netflix).

You wouldn't happen to live in Finland, would you?

This is going to drive me crazy. I already know it. I can live with a steady 1080. But drops to SD for more a few mins is not cool.

Top Bottom