• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5 killed after blasts hit bus terminal in Jakarta, Indonesia

Source: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...er-blasts-hit-bus-terminal-in-jakarta-8880154

JAKARTA: Two explosions rocked a busy bus terminal in east Jakarta on Wednesday evening (May 24), killing five people including two suspected suicide bombers and three police officers.

Ten other people were injured, including police officers and civilians, during the attack in a street next to the bus station in a working-class district of the capital.

National police spokesman Setyo Wasisto told reporters that two suicide bombers had been involved in the attack and three police officers had died. He had earlier said he believed only one attacker was involved.

"I have to convey my deepest condolences because three police officers died," he said.

Five other police officers and five civilians were injured, Wasisto said. Both suicide bombers, who were men, died during the attack, he added.

The terminal is a local hub served by minibuses and buses.

Indonesia has long struggled with Islamic militancy and has suffered a series of attacks in the past 15 years, including the 2002 Bali bombings that killed 202 people, mostly foreign tourists.

A sustained crackdown weakened the most dangerous networks but the emergence of IS has proved a potent new rallying cry for radicals.

Hundreds of radicals from the Southeast Asian state have flocked to fight with IS, sparking fears that weakened extremist outfits could get a new lease of life.

A gun and suicide attack in the capital Jakarta left four attackers and four civilians dead in January last year, and was the first assault claimed by IS in Southeast Asia.

Numerous recent IS-linked plots in Indonesia have been botched or foiled, with analysts saying that many of the country's militants lack the capacity to launch serious attacks.

Jackpot

Banned
It's going to get worse as the Indonesian government is heading for fundamentalism faster than Turkey's. Routine public floggings for being gay, public floggings for adultery for the victims of gang-rape, convicting a Christian governor of blasphemy, ... it's been going to shit for a long time.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I feel sorry for the police officers who died. I hope the wounded people recover completely and fast.

This is scum attacking their own people.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
It's going to get worse as the Indonesian government is heading for fundamentalism faster than Turkey's. Routine public floggings for being gay, public floggings for adultery for the victims of gang-rape, convicting a Christian governor of blasphemy, ... it's been going to shit for a long time.
Indeed. This sort of creeping fundamentalism is the soil where terrorism grows.

Piggus

My fiancee got her immigrant visa and is moving out in August. Sounds like she's leaving at a good time. :/ I've enjoyed my trips to Jakarta, but the people and government need to recognize that they're moving in a dangerous direction.

They will eventually meet the terrorists ideologically

Bastables

Seems a bit overegged, There has been one public flogging In banda aceh in a province that signed a peace deal in 2005 with the central government in order to allow it to implement it's idea of Sharira law.

The conviction of the Christian govoner can really be seen more as the conviction of a Jokowi ally that funded and aided religious fringe groups and lingering racist sentiments inculcated against Chinese Indonesians from the Suharto era.

Lowey Institute has a great write up pointing out that the base of Indonesia may be tolerant , but it is not historically liberal https://www.lowyinstitute.org/the-interpreter/indonesian-democracy-down-not-out

Jackpot

Banned
Seems a bit overegged, There has been one public flogging In banda aceh in a province that signed a peace deal in 2005 with the central government in order to allow it to implement it's idea of Sharira law.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/23/asia/indonesia-caning-homosexuality/

Two men caned 83 times in Indonesia for homosexual sex

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...haria-law-sumatra-muslims-islam-a7367251.html

Woman caned in Indonesia for 'standing too close to her boyfriend'

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2016/10/17/13-people-caned-for-indecency-in-aceh.html

13 people caned for indecency in Aceh

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...onesia-for-affectionate-contact-a6790246.html

Young unmarried couple brutally caned in Indonesia for 'affectionate contact'

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/christian-woman-caned-in-indonesia_us_570ea448e4b0ffa5937e0482

60-Year-Old Christian Woman Publicly Caned In Indonesia For Breaking Sharia Law

http://www.benarnews.org/english/news/indonesian/caning-report-04122016165339.html

Indonesia: Acehnese Man, Woman Caned 100 Times for Adultery

indonesia-cane.jpg

Ad infinitum.

The conviction of the Christian govoner can really be seen more as the conviction of a Jokowi ally that funded and aided religious fringe groups and lingering racist sentiments inculcated against Chinese Indonesians from the Suharto era.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ound-guilty-of-blasphemy-jailed-for-two-years

Harsono said more than 100 Indonesians had been convicted of blasphemy in the past decade, with acquittals in such cases extremely rare.

Mohonky

That's awful, hasn't really been a good week has it? :/

This shit happens a lot more than you hear about. Its only because we had Manchester recently the news are reporting on it.

This usually happens, they report it going on in other countries right after it happens in the West, then it goes quiet in the West and you hear about it only when a big attack occurs, but the attacks keep on in many countries fairly routinely.

Also Indonesia is well on its way to fundamentalist Islam. Take it off your visiting list. Of course Australia keeps sending these assholes aid money for some reason while they continue the systematically kill off the West Papua New Guinea population.

SaniOYOYOY

Banda Aceh is the only state there that adopt sharia law. So things are different elsewhere.

I feel like this clearly target our police, just like the one before in sarinah.

thats just in the capital. But if in 2019 they elect that new major's benefactor as the president, then we panic

GKB

I have to say, the bolded one is strictly only in Aceh, which is the equivalent of bible belt in Indonesia. I just don't want the international community to think all of Indonesia is like that. But yeah, that place is vile.

It's a shame of what happened to Ahok though, he was a good governor. The growing fundamentalism in Indonesia will only bring problems :/

Ogodei

I have to say, the bolded one is strictly only in Aceh, which is the equivalent of bible belt in Indonesia. I just don't want the international community to think all of Indonesia is like that. But yeah, that place is vile.

It's a shame of what happened to Ahok though, he was a good governor. The growing fundamentalism in Indonesia will only bring problems :/

Aceh fought for independence for like a hundred years, right? First against the Dutch, then against the Japanese, and then kept right on fighting against the Indonesian government.

GKB

Aceh fought for independence for like a hundred years, right? First against the Dutch, then against the Japanese, and then kept right on fighting against the Indonesian government.

So a bit of a background, before colonialism, there was no Indonesian identity. The identity only existed because of our shared history of being occupied throughout the years.

During these pre-national identity years, there was a bunch of smaller kingdoms cooperating with colonial powers, one of them was Aceh. Their independence was already guaranteed, they were also a protectorate of the Ottoman Empire. Politically speaking, Aceh was fine. Things were going well until the Dutch made a move against the local sultan. The Dutch won, it was costly for both sides. To maintain peace, the dutch installed a puppet government. This was headed by kaum adat people (peoplw who follow pre islam local customs).

Then the Japanese came and the puppet government was dismantled. The kaum ulama (religious islamic people) rose to prominence because of their effort against the japanese.

After WWII, "Indonesia" was in a powernvacuum. The Allied hadn't arrived yet and the Japanese was no longer really in control. Because of that, a civil war broke out between kaum adat and kaum ulama. Kaum adat was in favor of being under The Dutch again, the other side wanted to join the newly proclaimed Republic of Indonesia. Long story short, kaum ulama won.

However, Aceh (now in control of kaum ulama) wanted some sort of self autonomy with islamic/sharia law. Sukarno (the revolution leader/1st Indonesian president) was having none of that. They were already a part of Indonesia when that whole ordeal happened. Since both side couldn't find an agreement, Aceh started rebelling against Indonesian government. In 2004 the Indian Ocean tsunami happened, which left Aceh in state of despair. Correct me if i'm wrong but GAM (gerakan aceh merdeka/main force behind rebellion) agreed to stop their military/political campaign in exchange of prioritized rebuilding and self autonomy. The government accepted the deal and that's why aceh uses sharia law now.

Sorry if it's too long, i think context is very important to answer your question, can't just say yes or no :)

Top Bottom