• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50 million PS4s sold-through as of 6th December 2016

Fuchsdh

This thread will never be not funny. This (as well as any time a business thread pops up) is exactly why gaffers need to check their bias and realize they are horrible at predicting future events

Most people, even actual experts, are horrible at predicting future events.

This thread will never be not funny. This (as well as any time a business thread pops up) is exactly why gaffers need to check their bias and realize they are horrible at predicting future events

To be fair it's easy to bring up any thread about anything from a while back and make mostly logical posters look bad.

Consider last gen the 360 and PS3 were in an extremely tight race, finishing the gen only a few million apart, Wii dominated but faded. Prior to reveal it would not be illogical using the then current market trends to declare anyone a victor in the next, and if anything at that time declaring PS4 dominance wouldn't be super logical given the market trends at the time.

The ones that stand out as bad are the ones declaring Sony doomed and dropping out of the console market. Those ones are indeed hyperbole

To be fair, the whole point of internet boards dedicated to specific interests is so we can exercise our personal biases. People don't come to these places to be logic, they do to appear being logic while beind filled with rushy childish excitement on the inside. That's what I do at least lol.

MisterR

To be fair it's easy to bring up any thread about anything from a while back and make mostly logical posters look bad.

Consider last gen the 360 and PS3 were in an extremely tight race, finishing the gen only a few million apart, Wii dominated but faded. Prior to reveal it would not be illogical using the then current market trends to declare anyone a victor in the next, and if anything at that time declaring PS4 dominance wouldn't be super logical given the market trends at the time.

The ones that stand out as bad are the ones declaring Sony doomed and dropping out of the console market. Those ones are indeed hyperbole

Anybody who had any sense should have been able to realize that despite Sony's multiple mistakes with the PS3 it still outsold the Xbox 360 worldwide every year. Without the year head start they would have beat MS despite everything they did wrong. They had a built in worldwide advantage over MS. There is a reason that Sony has won every gen they've been in outside the last one. It is shocking how badly they've beaten MS this gen though. The Wii U was an obvious flop from the announcement on. How people could watch that E3 announcement and think the Wii U was going to be a success I have no idea.

Asd202

Amazing numbers also with all those bundles Uncharted 4 sales must be sky high. Would love an update on that.

Apathy

those are the main issues here though. Making a prediction based on current trend is nothing new and of course sometimes they are wrong as in the case of the Wii U (although even back then the Wii was already on a downward slope while the xbox and the ps3 were going up as sales of Wii had all but stagnated).

Every time a prediction thread happens people fly off the handles with hyperbole that "nintendo is doomed" "sony is doomed" "microsoft is doomed". Like nothing more than childish fanboyism.

also, hop into any thread regarding business, where people start off their post with "company x should just do y" with no actual grasp of business acumen. Look at this thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1294073 "sony already selling vr at a profit" and people going off on them for that and that the thing should have been sold at a loss so it could be cheaper for consumers, despite how fast it sold at the start.

Anybody who had any sense should have been able to realize that despite Sony's multiple mistakes with the PS3 it still outsold the Xbox 360 worldwide every year. Without the year head start they would have beat MS despite everything they did wrong. They had a built in worldwide advantage over MS. There is a reason that Sony has won every gen they've been in outside the last one. It is shocking how badly they've beaten MS this gen though.

Declaring PS4 the winner of this gen prior to reveal wouldn't have been outlandish I agree. Thinking it would be around 2:1 though at the time would have seemed crazy.

Declaring PS4 the winner of this gen prior to reveal wouldn't have been outlandish I agree. Thinking it would be around 2:1 though at the time would have seemed crazy.

Just Europe would be enough to turn it into a 2:1 though with PS4 and Xbox One having comparable sales in North America. And that is more or less what happened, just with Sony having the edge over Microsoft even in NA.

MisterR

I think the problem a lot of folks on here have is that they are so US focused and the US games press was as well. You even have somebody in here asking if MS has caught up to worldwide PS4 sales because they won a few recent NPDs. So they took the NPD numbers and thought that reflected worldwide numbers. Most people thought the PS3 was selling like shit because that's what they heard on the Bombcast each week.

onQ123

MS has won most of the NPDs this year. Do you think they caught up?

Ct98PH4UAAAbVxL.jpg

Just Europe would be enough to turn it into a 2:1 though with PS4 and Xbox One having comparable sales in North America. And that is more or less what happened, just with Sony having the edge over Microsoft even in NA.

I think the problem a lot of folks on here have is that they are so US focused and the US games press was as well. So they took the NPD numbers and thought that reflected worldwide numbers. Most people thought the PS3 was selling like shit because that's what they heard on the Bombcast each week.

One of the major reasons PS4 is as far ahead as it is is due to Xbox weakening in European markets though especially the UK.

It was totally unreasonable at the time to think the US / UK market would collapse the way it did for Xbox, and saying otherwise is revisionist history.

Prior to reveal there was no reason to believe that Xbox would crater the way it did with the sequel to the 360.

MisterR

One of the major reasons PS4 is as far ahead as it is is due to Xbox weakening in European markets though especially the UK.

It was totally unreasonable at the time to think the US / UK market would collapse the way it did for Xbox, and saying otherwise is revisionist history.

Prior to reveal there was no reason to believe that Xbox would crater the way it did with the sequel to the 360.

No, the real reason is the cratering in the US and the UK. Sony owned the rest of Europe last gen and all the gens before that. That's how they were able to stay even with the 360 despite being destroyed in the US.

Sony was dominating Europe even with the Playstation 3 although being released later, being more expensive and the 360 getting the better third party games.
It was obvious that the Xbox One designed for the NA market would lose badly against the PS4 - while also like 100euro more expensive.

Microsoft has a brand problem in Europe.

Yeah I remember around launch it was a very common talking point that the entire console / AAA market was doomed. And that these consoles would be hugely front loaded.

Neither of these thoughts have panned out

I always thought the general consensus was an overall contraction, not the death of the console market.

I mean, the former could still very well happen.

No, the real reason is the cratering in the US and the UK. Sony owned the rest of Europe last gen and all the gens before that. That's how they were able to stay even with the 360 despite being destroyed in the US.

And it has decreased in mainland Europe, even though it was never big there and Sony dominated. Is the UK not part of Europe and a major factor in European market sales? Calling out people that declared Sony doomed is fine with me, but it bothers me when people go back and try to argue Sony utterly wrecking this generation was obvious. It wasn't, not even to Sony themselves who have been on the record stating as much.

ethomaz

Banned
Since these PS4 numbers are SELL-THROUGH numbers and the PS2 numbers were SHIPPED numbers, doesn't that mean that PS4 is likely ahead of PS2? (Or at least equal to)
PS2 numbers before 2006 were PRODUCTION SHIPMENT... that means PS2 produced and waiting in Sony warehouses to be bought by retail. After 2006 Sony started to report shipped to retail.

So the sold to consumers of PS2 could be 4-5m from the production shipment.

*Company which sold consistently the most consoles worldwide at the time of the thread suddenly isn't relevant anymore

People were pretty dumb.

That thread exposes the biases of people something fierce. You just know there was no logic most of the posts in that thread. How can anyone think that the PS4 would sell Vita numbers with a straight face?

And it has decreased in mainland Europe, even though it was never big there and Sony dominated. Is the UK not part of Europe and a major factor in European market sales? Calling out people that declared Sony doomed is fine with me, but it bothers me when people go back and try to argue Sony utterly wrecking this generation was obvious. It wasn't, not even to Sony themselves who have been on the record stating as much.

I personally thought that the PS4 would easily beat the XBO worldwide due to Microsoft's complacency with the 360 leading up to this gen. I didn't expect the gap to be this large mainly because of the terrible XBO reveal. There is absolutely no way people saw Microsoft's major fuckup coming and that definitely contributed to the XBO's struggles.

e-gamer

PS4 + PS4 pro?

Edit: Yes

SAN MATEO, CA, December 7, 2016 – Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) today announced that PlayStation®4 (PS4™) has cumulatively sold through more than 50 million units*1 to consumers worldwide as of December 6, 2016, having enjoyed the best ever Black Friday week*2 in the history of PlayStation®. This includes the sales of PlayStation®4 Pro (PS4™Pro), a high-end system that supports cutting-edge imaging technology, which launched last month.

It's fully deserved, PS4 has the best and most diverse software lineup, far better than the competition and we want the console with the best line up to win more than any other reason, it's for our best interests.
yes to all this. playstation really is the best place to play. next milestone at 75 mil

Well deserved. PS4 has the best and most varied library of games this gen out of any of the consoles, it's nice to see it doing so well.

MisterR

I even stated in my first post that I'm shocked by how much they are beating MS by. I'm just pointing out that all the hints were there that Sony had a good chance to win the gen, and yes, the Sony is doomed people were beyond ignorant.

Ellite25

Have we gotten Pro specific numbers yet? I'm curious to see if it sold well and put Sony back on top for the month.

Damn, Sony is just killing it. And 2017 is poised to be the PS4's best year software-wise. Hopefully that will transfer into hardware sales as well.

They've NEVER been in a position to dictate anything in the console space ever!

I don't know about that. They made paid online a thing. Hell, they made online gaming (on console) what we know today.

if this was sarcasm, then disregard my post

No, the real reason is the cratering in the US and the UK.
Xbox One has not "collapsed" or "cratered" in the US. It's about a million units ahead of where 360 was at the same time.

The gap is because Sony has returned to the success level of their first decade, which is something that could have been reasonably predicted (though it wasn't inevitable).

Dargor

Damn, Sony is just killing it. And 2017 is poised to be the PS4's best year software-wise. Hopefully that will transfer into hardware sales as well.

I don't know about that. They made paid online a thing. Hell, they made online gaming (on console) what we know today.

if this was sarcasm, then disregard my post

lol what a bullet point! thanks microsoft, you made paid online a thing.

Yeah...

Dre3001

Congrats to Sony, well deserved.

I still think it is laughable how people thought consoles were doomed based on the complete failure of the WiiU and decline of sales at the end of the last generation.

Ps4 will hit 100M consoles sold by end of its lifetime easily.

spwolf

I still think it is laughable how people thought consoles were doomed based on the complete failure of the WiiU and decline of sales at the end of the last generation.

just few days ago we had most members writing how consoles are doomed when COD flopped, even though same report said that overall console game sales were up 36% for the month.

People see what they want to see.

because it's hard as hell. if it would be easy, all thise people would make billions every year

so you csn make fun of people whi thought sony would be done after ps3 and also the people who say xbox one can't make a comeback

it's just some people are a bit more reasonable than other ans put more work and thought into theire stuff than other, beside that, everyone is wrong and right sometimes.

yes even i'm wrong sometimes and usually i'm always right :)

"The PS4 will do worse than the VITA, they have lost to much brand recognition, exclusives and they have IPs noone gives a shit about besides nerds on the internet. Coupled with no backwards compatibility (due to the abandonment of the Cell), Sony is destined for last place again. Failing all that, the PS4 will be $499-$549 and we will get a repeat of the PS3 but this time it will be much worse."

"Quote me in 2 or 3 years. I know when something is about to bomb. Sony is very easy to read, even Patcher can do it."

Best thread

lmao, I just got to that part.

More like "If Nintendo can't win than neither can Sony!"

Too bad.

No, the real reason is the cratering in the US and the UK. Sony owned the rest of Europe last gen and all the gens before that.

How much did the 360 sell from the end of 2005 to the end of 2008 in the US. I've got ~13.5 million, someone correct me if its out by a lot. Not much difference to what it is now plus we've got Nov and Dec to count for like for like so XBO will be higher than 360 at the end of 2016 compared to end of 2008 US. What cratering?

That's how they were able to stay even with the 360 despite being destroyed in the US.
That would be true looking at total of last gen. US 360 sales dwarfed US PS3 sales and PS3 made it up elsewhere.

Top Bottom