• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

50 Years After Loving: Interracial Couples Still Face Strife (Associated Press News)

It's always been a pet peeve of my wife but when we are in the US we frequently get "oh are you two together?" when we are both in the checkout line.

I'm white and she's Asian. It doesn't really bother me but it seems it's not automatic for some people that we are a couple.

Never happens on an airplane. I guess airline staff have seen it all.

Wood Man

I'm in an interracial marriage and I never faced any hostility. Maybe it's because where I live.

But I sometimes wonder if people think our relationship is wrong or unusual.

KSweeley

Thanks to KSweeley for the original article which suprisingly also includes a reocoring of the oral arguments from the case:

Alongside this here's a reprint of the AP's article from 1967, explained by The New York Times

AP News: 50 Years After Loving: Interracial Couples Still Face Strife
NYT: AP WAS THERE: Supreme Court Legalizes Interracial Marriage

And before anyone asks or mentions the idea of "old racists dying out", here are the two articles mentioned about the recent attacks on interracial couples

August 2016 - Washington Post
March 2017 - The New York Times

Despite the courts, make no mistake that the hate that caused people to openly attack the Loving couple decades ago is still alive and well; from the street to the highest levels of societal influence. The same mentality that paints black people as a lesser species and white people as superior continues to destroy lives even after many have tried to create true harmony and equality. It's a sad reality but one that people would be wrong to deny or ignore.

Thanks for re-posting this article I found, I posted this article to GAF because I thought it would be an interesting article for fellow GAF members to read.

Sanjuro

I've gotten, "Why would you *blank* a *blank*?", both in person and online. All within the last ten years or so.

I dated a Russian girl (I am black) mother did everything in her power to break us up, one time she called, (don't know how she got my phone #) and went off on a racist tirade, never told the girl, when i got her pregnant, she wanted to keep and get married, they forced her to change her mind, she got an abortion and i never saw her again..

Fuchsdh

I was talking about this with some friends today. One of them is Indian and mentioned a time when this guy out of the blue emailed her parents about how in love he was with her, and the instant deal breaker for the dad was when the image loaded and he saw the suitor was black. A Pakistani friends' parents would be fine with anyone vaguely swarthy for their daughter, but if he's white, it's a no-go. Even my wife's parents got shit for a white dad and (still pretty white, but foreign) Central American mom. It's sadly something that is at play from all sides of the aisle.

I dunno if the outright hostility is better than the jackass parents and family who just blame their distaste on everything but the skin color. I think I'd rather someone admit they disapproved of our relationship because of something dumb like that.

Despite the courts, make no mistake that the hate that caused people to openly attack the Loving couple decades ago is still alive and well; from the street to the highest levels of societal influence. The same mentality that paints black people as a lesser species and white people as superior continues to destroy lives even after many have tried to create true harmony and equality. It's a sad reality but one that people would be wrong to deny or ignore.

Yeah I admit for a while I think I bought into the messaging that "millennials are more open and tolerant" a bit too much. The Obama years were good for eroding that excessively optimistic view. Our generation might be better than previous ones, but that's a pretty low bar to clear. We've got a lot more work cut out.

I'm in an interracial marriage and I never faced any hostility. Maybe it's because where I live.

But I sometimes wonder if people think our relationship is wrong or unusual.

At least if they're thinking about it they have enough shame to keep it to themselves.

Media

My husband's mother hates me because I am Native American and apparently a witch. I suduced her god fearing* son away from her through dark pagan magic.

*He's atheist

The Boat

I live in Portugal, but the amount of shitty looks me and my ex-gf (she's black) got in the street, both from white and black people, caught me off-guard. It was way more common than I imagined to see brazen displays of disgust and disapproval by older people

JoeBoy101

My husband's mother hates me because I am Native American and apparently a witch. I suduced her god fearing* son away from her through dark pagan magic.

*He's atheist

Yeah, she's using you as an excuse because she doesn't believe her 'little baby' can stray from her teachings.

Anyways, for those saying its pretty recent, thank you for making me feel younger, but 50 years ago is not long in the past, but its not exactly a short distance either.

The Giant said:
America continues to be a backwards as fuck country. This is just a non issue in most parts of the world.

Got any more of that delusion stuff? I want the good stuff, not that watered-down misunderstanding crap.

I've seen it happen to my brother. Went to a restaurant with him, his wife, and at the time maybe 2 year old kid. Were black, his wife is white. Everyone else in the place seemed to not give a shit, just some people having dinner, some elderly couple comes in and gets seated next to us. After maybe 15 minutes they pull their waiter over and request to change tables away from us. We were not being loud, their kids is well behaved not crying or anything, and my dad leans over and is like I heard them a bit and seems like they have a problem with you guys...

like seriously fuck these types of people.

Now that I live in Japan I have been lucky enough for most people I know, care about, and meet to be very nice and loving. When I am dating someone they are all supportive and happy. My friends loved watching me with my last girlfriend because we were embarrassingly lovey dovey in public places compared to other people lol. But I have had girls basically admit they are fine for dating and having fun with a black person but would never marry, and others who don't care (least they are honest so I don't waste my time) but yeah interracial dating can be a pain. Just all about doing your thing and everyone else can go be a dick alone somewhere else!

Let's not even get into the shit you get from people of your own race >.>

Not in the US but my girlfriend is half asian half white and she grew up in a rural region where she got tons of shit. I was naively hoping it wouldn't affect us (I'm white) but we do get weird looks from time to time and I've gotten some... unfortunate (read: racist) comments form acquaintances.

Also, every time interracial relationships come up, I can't help but think of this Hannibal Buress bit.

English white guy Chinese wife, I've not noticed any issues in England when I'm with my wife. In fact one thing I have noticed is that other minorities seem more open and friendly towards me when I'm with her. I assume it's because its a very strong "I'm not racist" indicator.

When we are in China my wife will get dirty looks from a few old people because they assume she's just a mistress and only with me for money. The Chinese men that know I have a Chinese wife are usually very happy about it, it makes me one of them they think.

I've had no issues with our marriage on either side of the family.

M52B28

Banned
Dating a European as a black man is depressing in the U.S. Though the whole thing is over with for now since she moved. She was aware of racism, but she wasn't aware of the hostility towards interracial dating. Going some places with her, I would get whites and blacks staring us down. I told my parents and family about her, and they were accepting of it all.

Hostility towards interracial couples is something that can be racially biased, but from what I understand, whites and blacks have a problem with it.

I'll admit, I saw a white male with his black girlfriend at my job and I was initially confused, mainly because I'm used to seeing black men dating white women and not the other way around.

I wasn't offended by their presence, but I did pick up on how she did her blush makeup and foundation and straightened ​her hair as much as she could.

Lol many Asian and Indian cultures discriminate hard against black people or even people of darker skin of the same race.
This is correct for many Spanish speaking countries, as well.

Ronin Ray

My parents have been married about 30 years mom's black and Hawaiian dad's white . I have never seen anything but my mom is very tall and my dad is short so most people notice that. Although my whole life I heard o your mom sounds so white. Which I always responded what is being white sound like my mom sounds educated. Older bullies in the neighborhood though would call me an Oreo and pick on me but never said racist shit about my parents. But my mom's family is super deserve so it has never seemed odd are out of place. I can't speak to my dad's side of the family because they're just non-existent but my mom has never had issue with them.

It's such an unfortunate reality. I haven't really had any bad experiences as a mixed kid (aside from some poor comments my sister heard from family members), but I've been aware of what others have had to deal with for years. It probably helps on my parents' side that nobody seems to care much in southern Louisiana, and that they're also mixed.

Gamble

My last long-term relationship I was with my ex for 3 years (she's puerto rican/I'm black) and many of her older relatives were very bothered that she was with a black guy, especially her grandparents.

Part of it was because of how the last 2 treated her so poorly and the other was just due to them wanting to see her with someone of her own culture and heritage, and also the fact that they assumed we were all the same based on shallow stereotypes. After a little while they all learned to love me, and even though she and I aren't together anymore they are all still pretty cool towards me if I see them in public or happen to be over her house for something they invite me to.

louiedog

I know a white guy who dated and lived with a black woman for years whose parents were extremely against it until about 2 weeks after the birth of their grandchild when they finally met him. Pretty sure they're still racist though.

This is correct for many Spanish speaking countries, as well.

It has to do more with social status and wealth. People with "darker skin" tend to come from poor families (working on fields, decedents of indigenous people), but there is not active attempts from families to break couples based on race.

Money, on the other hand....

Asian male with a white woman here. I can't really complain, haven't really faced anything too overt from my end. Her Grandmother once remarked that she missed the "white boy" that she used to date, but that was early on in the relationship and both the grandmother and I have a great relationship now.

Other than that, the only think that sometimes irks me is that people don't actually think we are together sometimes. For example, we'll be in line at a fast casual place and they assume that we aren't paying together, even though we are, in my mind, clearly displaying body language that we are together. Do other interracial couples get this sometimes?
I mostly get that in Japan than the US. One time at Disney land, we were holding hands and the gate asked her if she wanted to ride separately. We were both pissed at that guy but brushed it off.

Linkyn

America continues to be a backwards as fuck country. This is just a non issue in most parts of the world.

Maybe not so much among younger people, but there's definitely some underlying bias or prejudice with older generations. Your history may not be as racially charged as that of the US, but especially in countries that are fairly racially homogeneous, you do get some bewildering (if not downright insulting) behaviour. Now I would agree that your average person is not openly hostile towards black people, but at the very least, they are bound to behave a little awkwardly by virtue of their complete lack of direct interaction with people outside their own race alone.

Top Bottom