• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

500 hours of Bubsy 3D. FIVE HUNDRED UNITED STATES HOURS.

Brannon

So I see his mind game (what he likes), and I see his FF12 videos (owns a Playstation 2). Somebody tell him about Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. I can't think of a more fitting game for him.

EDIT: Maybe it's not too late to help him; he looks about 16 or so. He can still be productive.

duk

Banned
Brannon said:
So I see his mind game (what he likes), and I see his FF12 videos (owns a Playstation 2). Somebody tell him about Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. I can't think of a more fitting game for him.

EDIT: Maybe it's not too late to help him; he looks about 16 or so. He can still be productive.

superman 64

M3wThr33

Banned
The audio discussion hurts my mind SO much.
The numbers and descriptions are just... ugh.

Yes, it's a "weird" bug when your mp3 player doesn't playback files encoded at your weird frequency. (IE: 50k instead of 44.1k, 48k, etc.)

TheChaos

Whoa, this guy is like THE poster Asperger's Child. He fits EVERY SINGLE criteria for diagnosis a person with Aperger's.

Autistic game testers, why didn't anyone think of it sooner? You could probably pay guys like this with pogs to test the worst games ever made and they would be thorough and grateful.

I'm half tempted to send him my copy of Tail of the Sun: Wild, Pure, Simple Life just to see what he'd make of it.

Fifty

This guy is great.

Here's a good video of his..One where he just tries to drown Tails in Sonic 2. It's pretty creepy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWamzOV8p_s

About This Video
Drowning Tails is my top favorite thing to do in Sonic and it has kept me at the game for more than twice as long as every other reason combined, including debug.

Here, I drown Tails in 5 areas. I stitched together 5 separate videos. The third part involves using debug and Tails drowns twice for this part. I find the fourth segment (fifth drown) funny.

I agree with the testing comment. He needs to test Bethesda's next game..Although I'm not sure a tester that refuses to leave the first area for 100 hours would be that effective.

M3wThr33

Banned
My ninth grade year was the second worst (very close to the worst) year. With the problem I had with stairs and that this school was filled with stairs (and that the staff wouldn't let me use the elevator they had), and with that "evil teacher" following me all over, plus dozens of bullies, and that stubborn, oversized mirror making me have to walk 300 feet just to get around it, this school was my least liked. I'm debating whether my ninth grade or my fifth grade years were the worst. It's too close to say for sure. It's easy to say that this school is the worst ever, but I didn't have many of the other issues as with fifth grade.

He walks around mirrors...

Also, he sounds like my old obsessed roommate. DEFINITELY ASPERGER'S. Without a doubt.

At the start, I was correcting stuff. The teacher noticed that she had to make copies of something so I can use for my homework. I was about to correct a test consisting mainly of multiple choice. The teacher went off and I began correcting the test. My body was arched over at a 155° angle (±5°) with my hands firmly anchored on the table looking down at the test. Then, what appears to be 4 seconds later, the teacher comes back with everything copied. Since that went so quickly, I figured she had the stuff copied already and just forgot about it. I asked her if she just found the stuff. She said that she had to copy it. I was then puzzled on how she could possibly have copied the content, about 15 to 20 pages worth, in just 4 seconds. It made no sense at all. She still said that she copied the full thing and she had a confused look in her face.

I've since concluded two things:
1. The teacher is lying about the event (she seems very truthful so this was highly unlikely, although still possible so it couldn't be ruled out).
2. I somehow jumped 5 minutes into the future almost instantaneously. This seems outrageous as well and far more unlikely.

You seem to have a 1 in a 1E4 (1 in 10,000) chance for the first concept to occur, and a 1 in 1E15 chance (1E15 is a million times a billion (aka, a quadrillion)) or so of the second concept. Both are rare things so it most likely has to go on the first one (which is a tenth of a trillion times more likely than the time jump idea). Even to today, this event still baffles me.
Or... you know... you just spazzed out

Because of my serious dislike of taking showers, sometimes the teacher never liked me coming to school without having a shower after 3 or 4 days. Not only does it count as an unexcused absence, but, if I get any late assignments from not getting my home work that day, I'd get penalties from it. The details on this are vague, however.
:lol :lol :lol :lol

Flynn

Iam Canadian said:
There's got to be a way to channel a mind like that to something productive. Hence my mentat analogy.

He is doing something productive. Eventually his work will unlock the portal that will allow the great old ones to awaken from their slumber and feast upon our flesh.

This guy freaks me out.

He has to have some mental disability. Or he was raised by a pack of sloths or something...

Heres one of his concise rationalizations for not taking showers...

Total Nutcase said:
Serious waste of time. It takes me 45 minutes to process the task of taking a shower in full and that's with shortcuts. It takes me about 5 to 7 minutes to find and check my clothes, 25 to 35 minutes for the actual shower itself, and about 8 to 10 minutes to dry off. I then remain cold for about two hours after it so in effect, it actually takes 3 hours total. Why does it take 25 to 35 minutes for the actual shower rather than 10 to 15 minutes? For one, I have timed this and it is quite consistant so I know the 25-35 minutes value is correct. Because the temperature knobs are very touchy, it takes much longer to get the temperature set, about 3 to 5 minutes right there. Even moving the knob 1/32 of an inch causes a 3°F temperature difference at the good zone and I have to maneuver the knob to a precision on the order of 1/100 of an inch for anything reasonable and it takes a lot of effort to get it that fine. It takes me about 1 to 3 minutes to adjust to the water and get used to it. Then it's about 5 to 7 minutes for the shampoo (the full process - warming it up first (this doesn't apply during the winter) getting it out of the bottle, spreading it around and washing it off in full - I do one round at it but use quite a bit of shampoo to cover otherwise two rounds at once to speed things up). Then it's about 8 to 12 minutes of using the body wash (warming it up especially (this takes nearly twice as long as the shampoo does, a good 3 to 4 minutes), moving the shower curtains so that they don't get in the way (I use water as a paste to "glue" the sides of the tub, otherwise they get annoying and in the way adding to my time), spreading it around, then washing it off). Finally, I spend another 2 to 4 minutes rinsing off before turning off the water. Then it's about ten minutes to dry off. It actually faster to dry off without a towel than it is for me with one. The reason is that almost all towels are stained in some way and when this was going on, I noticed that 15 to 20 minutes went by to find a towel that wasn't stained. Without the towel, it takes about 10 minutes instead, yet another reduction. To help with this, I have other tricks up my sleeve for further reducing the time - squeezing the water from my hair then going top to bottom removing whatever I can. This otherwise reduces the time by about 40% of what it would normally take. I get dressed after that then spend two hours fighting to keep warm by the time I'm back to normal again. Then, quite often, my mind drifts off which quite often adds an additional 5 to 10 minutes to my shower time. This is something that's hard to prevent from doing and it occurs at any time, whether driving, using the forums, typing, working on my game, eating, watching TV, etc.. With doing this every day, the amount of "wasted time" really adds up - a whole days' worth (well, 22 1/2 hours as a grand total versus my current 3 3/4 hours per month). I can do a lot with 18 3/4 hours freed up. I can do two whole mountain ranges in my 2D game (and that's about an 1800x170 image on average). I could watch an additional 30-minute educational TV show each day with a bonus every 4th day. I could type up a story about three times longer than some of the longest stories on my website. I could update my website in my usual way with 3-weeks' worth of details (dreams and my blog mainly) and still have time to spare. That's a lot of time and it adds up.

Fifty

IronicallyTwisted said:
He has to have some mental disability. Or he was raised by a pack of sloths or something...
:lol :lol :lol :lol I really hope it's the 2nd option. It'll me feel a lot less guilty laughing.

SuperPac

What's most amazing about the Bubsy video is that he's making a game with dog crap for controls seem like it's friggin' Mario 64. He's really finessin' that PSX pad, considering Bubsy uses digital control only (no analog).

M3wThr33

Banned
The fears page.

Oh god. The fears page.

http://www.ulillillia.us/aboutme/majorfears.shtml

Blue water
Red Ketchup
Mirrors
The words 'people' and 'person.'

He has a POINT SYSTEM based on crossing out those words.

Today, about the only thing I use is the floor. I eat on the floor (using a plate as one normally would), use my computer on the floor (with the monitor just 2 feet above the ground, the keyboard about a foot above the ground, and the mouse just 8 1/4 inches above the ground), sleep on the floor, do just about everything on the floor.

SuperPac said:
What's most amazing about the Bubsy video is that he's making a game with dog crap for controls seem like it's friggin' Mario 64. He's really finessin' that PSX pad, considering Bubsy uses digital control only (no analog).

All this Bubsy made me think of you!

Dhx

M3wThr33 said:
He walks around mirrors...

Also, he sounds like my old obsessed roommate. DEFINITELY ASPERGER'S. Without a doubt.

Or... you know... you just spazzed out

:lol :lol :lol :lol

I could seriously read updates like that for days. The amount of detail and care taken are completely enthralling. They say passion is the key to success, and it's hard not to believe that a little bit more after reading his site. If passion can keep me reading such inanity...

Now to read the fears page.

M3wThr33

Banned
DarkhawkX said:
I could seriously read updates like that for days. The amount of detail and care taken are completely enthralling. They say passion is the key to success, and it's hard not to believe that a little bit more after reading his site. If passion can keep me reading such inanity...
I mean, there's a certain part of me that can relate to wanting to do this. A dream journal, documenting games you've mastered, avoiding cracks on the street.

We all have little irrelevant thoughts in our head we constantly deal with. I know a lot of people can describe numbers as having certain textures or whatever. But going through with these and not keeping it to yourself is so disturbing. I mean, it's VERY child-like how he avoids shadows for fear of losing 'health' or literally would a Q to the end of EVERY WORD in a document.

His writing and narration skills are really impressive. Seriously, I'm not joking. Reading the descriptions of his crazy life are actually entertaining not just because of the content, but because the information is presented with such enthusiasm and detail.

Dhx

M3wThr33 said:
I mean, there's a certain part of me that can relate to wanting to do this. A dream journal, documenting games you've mastered, avoiding cracks on the street.

We all have little irrelevant thoughts in our head we constantly deal with. I know a lot of people can describe numbers as having certain textures or whatever. But going through with these and not keeping it to yourself is so disturbing. I mean, it's VERY child-like how he avoids shadows for fear of losing 'health' or literally would a Q to the end of EVERY WORD in a document.

And that's the part that stands out to me the most. As children we all allow our minds to wander in ways that mirror this exact behavior. We even channel it by detailing very strange concepts in our notebooks for example. His mind seems stuck in this state, though his mechanical knowledge has obviously surpassed the oddities a child might chronicle.

On his fear of mirrors :

There are few known workarounds. One of which involves the flat mirrors. I use a technique I call "angle bisection". This method works by getting to a position close to the mirror's path and looking what's in the mirror. I then find the object shown in the mirror, map its position and bisect the angle (split it in half). This gives the angle the mirror is facing. I then calculate the width of the mirror and add 10% of my distance from the nearest edge of the mirror to create the "hazard zone". This technique does not work, however, with those stubborn curved mirrors. The curved mirrors are the worst. I take longer to find the object in the mirror, sometimes even twice as long, as it does for me to map the position, bisect the angle, and create the "hazard zone" from all those calculations.

Fascinating.

Capndrake said:
This topic makes me depressed.
It makes me chuckle a sort of intrigued grin.

As compulsive as he sounds, the depth and specificity of the detail in which he delves is oddly fascinating.

I remember a YouTube video describing Asperger's (or was it Autism?) as having a mind that has both adult and child-like states, causing many discrepancies that cause the symptoms we know about.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Since mid-2003, when I first tried the classic Sonic games, I've been extremely involved with drowning Tails, the two-tailed fox. I'd toss the fox in the blue water, wait 30 seconds (more if it surfaces) for it to drown and get the new fox in which I'll put that one in the blue water and repeat.

This is...disturbing. I keep reading all of his articles even though it's completly pointless, really weird.

M3wThr33

Banned
Papercuts said:
This is...disturbing. I keep reading all of his articles even though it's completly pointless, really weird.
Because EVERY SINGLE page has something on it that makes you want to cry.

gondwana

M3wThr33 said:
Because EVERY SINGLE page has something on it that makes you want to cry.

As soon as I woke up, I played Super Monkey Ball 2 for about 2 hours then Super Mario Sunshine for 12 hours. It was cut short and suddenly due to mom wanting the whole family to play a game of Yahtzee.

Indeed.

I don't know what to say about this guy. He's inexplicable, I have to pinch myself. Interesting insight into a very unique kind of mind.

Salmonax

This is perhaps the most fascinating site I've ever looked through, albeit out of a sort of morbid curiosity. The fears alone are mindblowing.

Fifty

Since this is a gaming forum, here's an insane list of his games played. It's..long.
http://www.ulillillia.us/other/listofvideogames.shtml

This is my top favorite thread

If we ever get a Bubsy fanboy on GAF, we'll know he's finally found us.

4.1 Bubsy

Remarks: This game has been played for nearly 4000 hours and has dominated much of my life. Along with the numerous good songs (one of which, OWTLI, is the most listened to of all with about a million total plays), tons of self-made challenges, and quite a few bugs here and there to find, this game is easily into my top favorites, nearly and extreme favorite. I've had it since 1994, almost when it came out, and even to today, more than 13 years later, I'm still enjoying it.

edit: I'm not really mocking the guy..I'm just fascinated by him, and I do feel sorry for him. I can laugh but if I knew the guy I wouldn't be making fun of him.

nofi

It reads like the kid in Curious Incident. If it's not asperger's I don't know what it is, and the people in this thread mocking him make me feel far more uncomfortable than he does.

ullillia said:
Day in and day out, I'm almost always listening to video game music and frequently at a speed slower or faster than true speed. To you, getting 20 consecutive plays is hard enough, but that's only a very small scratch on my 3 records of 52, 46, and 42 days nonstop. If I never slept, I'd be listening to the same song for 22 to 23 hours straight, occasionally changing the speed, but even the same speed and EQ settings can remain for several days and my top 2 records of 17 and 12 days is just way out there.

Interesting. I wish he had a last.fm account

M3wThr33

Banned
The PC is of little interest when it comes to playing games. The main reason comes from all those licensing things and copy protection schemes. Console games don't have this and would be the most preferred system of all. Then, when it comes to having to format and reinstall everything, backing up game saves doesn't seem possible in most cases forcing me to lose whatever progress I get or guess as to what files are actually game save files, considering I can't choose what directory they are saved to.

:-/ This is depressing. Considering he organizes music and other files so much you think he'd noticed what files are save files as 99% of PC games make it easy to determine, sorting by last edit or creation date or the save file folder.

M3wThr33 said:

DarkhawkX said:
And that's the part that stands out to me the most. As children we all allow our minds to wander in ways that mirror this exact behavior. We even channel it by detailing very strange concepts in our notebooks for example. His mind seems stuck in this state, though his mechanical knowledge has obviously surpassed the oddities a child might chronicle.

On his fear of mirrors : Fascinating.
Definitely. There are facets of his compulsion that I think anyone whom is the least bit compulsive can at least distantly relate to--whether constantly now or only on some quiet night when they're temporarely engaged in that focus and lost deeply in thought. Furthermore, there's that sort of childlike immersion where you sort of forget the world around you and get lost in the most minute of details that most of us likely experienced, even if only incredibly briefly, while we were in that immature state of mind as young children.

Yet he takes all of that to such an extreme--a seemingly genuine, innocent, and passionate extreme no less--and that's indeed oddly fascinating. Not even so much as a gamer but as anyone remotely interested in the human mind. Listening to him is is like listening to someone whom exists within this innocent world of his own where there only these most mundane of details exist and that they are somehow compelling enough to construct and support that world.

This is hardest of the Final Fantasy games and I also completed it. The number one thing I don't like about it isn't that it takes a long time to level up, it's the fact that you need to walk through spikes and lava to get to where you need, a huge -9 affector alone. The long levelling up is only -1.2, miniscule. Another cause for the low compatibility is that you have no idea what you're supposed to do after completing some task, this adds a -3 affector, still very significant over -1.2. The world map music has the second-highest sustained compatibility and the third longest streak at 42 consecutive days.
So he can play Bubsy for long periods of time, but Leveling up in FF1 takes too long? Also, the lava was a very minor part of the game and with upmost efficiency you can reduce damage (which is what you're supposed to do, really).

I also notice he didn't give FFVIII much of a shot, which is strange because a lot of mechanics in that game would be very much up his alley in terms of completing many oddities and consuming his time.

Top Bottom