• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

55th Annual GRAMMYS | OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

tj hazuki

grammys3.jpg
The OT
The Nominees

Record Of The Year
The Black Keys - Lonely Boy
Kelly Clarkson - Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)
Fun. Featuring Janelle Monáe - We Are Young
Gotye Featuring Kimbra - Somebody That I Used To Know
Frank Ocean - Thinking About You
Taylor Swift - We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together

Album Of The Year
The Black Keys - El Camino
Fun. - Some Nights
Mumford & Sons - Babel
Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
Jack White - Blunderbluss
Song of the Year
Ed Sheeran - The A Team
Miguel - Adorn
Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe
Fun. - We Are Young

Best New Artist
Alabama Shakes
Fun.
Hunter Hayes
Frank Ocean
The Lumineers
The Performers
Dierks Bentley and Miranda Lambert
The Black Keys
Fun.
Elton John and Ed Sheeran
The Lumineers
Maroon 5 and Alicia Keys
Mumford & Sons
Frank Ocean
Beyoncé
Rihanna, Bruno Mars, Sting
Taylor Swift
Justin Timberlake
Carrie Underwood
Jack White
Kelly Clarkson

Mau ®

I hope Rihanna performs Stay with Bruno and Sting.

But it'll probably be some tribute performance. Ugh.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I will freak the fuck out if The Black Keys win a grammy (at least for Record, but against everything else is a big uphill battle)...

the nomination alone is fucking nuts. Those two dudes literally came from absolutely nothing.

tj hazuki

I hope Rihanna performs Stay with Bruno and Sting.

But it'll probably be some tribute performance. Ugh.

It'd be wasted promotion if she doesn't perform it.

For Best New Artist, my head says Frank Ocean but I really think The Lumineers deserve it way more. Frank is great though, but just felt like The Lumineers have had amazing longevity with their debut album on the charts.

sarcastor

That god damn Gotye song came out in July 2011. How can it be nominated for anything in 2012? Oh yeah the Grammys are a joke. Nvm.

tj hazuki

That god damn Gotye song came out in July 2011. How can it be nominated for anything in 2012? Oh yeah the Grammys are a joke. Nvm.

Somebody That I Used to Know was released in January 2012 for the US. Obviously eligible for the 2012-2013 GRAMMYs.

will just youtube frank ocean's performance.

and also is sting playing with bruno mars? I don't like the latter, but his last single gave me mad police vibes so it would be appropriate

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
So I only just listened to the Kindrick Lamar album about a month ago. But gotdamn for it to be excluded fully invalidates the Grammy's.

Was it not released in enough time or something? I can't rationalize it otherwise.

tj hazuki

So I only just listened to the Kindrick Lamar album about a month ago. But gotdamn for it to be excluded fully invalidates the Grammy's.

Was it not released in enough time or something? I can't rationalize it otherwise.

Yeah, Kendrick released GMKC after the eligibility period. I say hes almost a lock for the Best New Artist award nomination next year.

Reposting my predictions from Popgaf.

My Grammy's Predictions!

Just doing the major + pop categories. Bold is my prediction as to who will win. Underlined is someone who I want to win (I may underline more than one if I so choose). This years lineup is really hard for me.

ALBUM OF THE YEAR:
El Camino - The Black Keys
Some Nights - Fun.
Babel - Mumford & Sons
Channel Orange - Frank Ocean
Blunderbuss - Jack White

RECORD OF THE YEAR:
Lonely Boy - The Black Keys
Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You) - Kelly Clarkson
We Are Young - Fun.
Somebody That I Used To Know - Gotye Featuring Kimbra
Thinkin Bout You - Frank Ocean
We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together - Taylor Swift

SONG OF THE YEAR:
The A Team
Adorn
Call Me Maybe
Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)
We Are Young

BEST NEW ARTIST:
Alabama Shakes
Fun.
Hunter Hayes
The Lumineers
Frank Ocean

BEST POP SOLO PERFORMANCE:
Set Fire To The Rain [Live] - Adele
Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You) - Kelly Clarkson
Call Me Maybe - Carly Rae Jepsen
Wide Awake - Katy Perry
Where Have You Been - Rihanna

BEST POP DUO/GROUP PERFORMANCE:
Shake It Out - Florence & The Machine
We Are Young - Fun. Featuring Janelle Monáe
Somebody That I Used To Know - Gotye Featuring Kimbra
Sexy And I Know It - LMFAO
Payphone - Maroon 5 & Wiz Khalifa

BEST POP VOCAL ALBUM:
Stronger - Kelly Clarkson
Ceremonials - Florence & The Machine
Some Nights - Fun.
Overexposed - Maroon 5
The Truth About Love - Pink

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Shame Journey lost out. Oh well. Totally cool to see it nominated, hopefully there will be many more games to get some love too in the future.

It's just the industry giving awards to the most popular, best selling artists within the industry. Every now and then the older group that makes the selections throws a wrench in (Arcade Fire) that surprises everyone, but for the most part you can tell who will win based on the Billboard chart.

Still I hope Nas wins something...

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Who the fuck are The Suburbs?

injurai

Banned
No Kendrick
No Santigold
No MIA
No Grimes
No Flylo
No Parov
No Purity Ring
No Burial
No Four Tet

I'm watching to find out who has been the most overrated this year.

Trigger

Never really followed the grammy's before. What's the difference between 'Record of the Year' and 'Song of the Year'?

Record of the Year recognizes the artist or producer. Song of the Year recognizes the composer of the song. The two may not always be the same person.

EDIT- Damn you Waffle!!
<3

Servbot24

Banned
Bolded are my choices of who should win, underline is my prediction of who will actually win:

Record Of The Year

The Black Keys - Lonely Boy
Fun. Featuring Janelle Monáe - We Are Young
Gotye Featuring Kimbra - Somebody That I Used To Know
Frank Ocean - Thinking About You
Taylor Swift - We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together

Album Of The Year

The Black Keys - El Camino
Fun. - Some Nights
Mumford & Sons - Babel
Frank Ocean - Channel Orange
Jack White - Blunderbluss

Song of the Year

Ed Sheeran - The A Team
Miguel - Adorn
Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe
Fun. - We Are Young

Best New Artist

Alabama Shakes
Fun.
Hunter Hayes
Frank Ocean
The Lumineers

No Kendrick
No Santigold
No MIA
No Grimes
No Flylo
No Parov
No Purity Ring
No Burial
No Four Tet

...and I ain't even mad.

I haven't even heard of half of those. Sorry, but relevance is required for nomination.

(I am sure their music is fine. The only artists on that list that I listen to are Grimes and MIA.)

vidcons

Banned
if i have to hear WE ARE YOUNG one more fucking time i'll do something horrible to my genitals on a webcam and end up mentally scarring some of you in the coming months

let's hope it doesn't come to this

injurai

Banned
...and I ain't even mad.

I haven't even heard of half of those. Sorry, but relevance is required for nomination.

(I am sure their music is fine. The only artists on that list that I listen to are Grimes and MIA.)

Check some of them out, all had an amazing year.

But your right about relevance. Sometimes I'm happy not everyone is going crazy over my favorite artists, but I feel the industry gets too fixated on a select group of artists that are used as banner starts for the nation. You end up liking things out of the limited pool that radio brings you.

Servbot24

Banned
Frank better win AOTY

But Blunderbus was better :(

Both are only fairly good albums but I wouldn't complain about either winning actually.

Some Nights is a good song, but it kinda sucks that their brilliant debut album got no attention whatsoever and their horrid follow-up gets showered in it.

Oozer3993

Hunter Hayes will also be performing. And Justin Timberlake hinted that he might be performing something new tonight.

P.S. Taylor Swift has already won. "Safe and Sound" won Best Song Written For Visual Media.

neptunes

...and I ain't even mad.

Why should relevance be a factor? especially when you're supposed to be comparing art.

Why should relevance be a factor? especially when you're supposed to be comparing art.

Relevance is essentially whether you music sells/if people like it. Sales is one of the FEW means by which you can measure music subjectively.

Also

At the end of the day the Grammy's need viewers to keep going. If you nominate nobodies who will be forgotten in five years anyways then no one will watch OR care about your awards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom