• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5TH Cell (Scribblenauts, Drawn to Life) laying off most staff, skeleton crew remain

Tagyhag

Never forget Post 217. (Man, reading that in Byakuya's voice is a trip.)

RIP 5th Cell :(

Best game of E3? Without a fucking doubt. Anyone who says otherwise did not play Scribblenauts. Best game of all time? Jesus Christ, I don't know, maybe. It's a game that challenges your IMAGINATION. No other game has ever done that.

Heh, I guess hindsight is 20/20.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Very sorry to hear (to the team and to Jackson, who I know still reads GAF but doesn't post as much anymore).

I liked the team's work a lot. Drawn to Life was super fun and despite the simplicity of the platforming, a lot more than the sum of its parts. Very cool drawing inspiration from Actraiser but giving it a twist, and I actually liked the story. Lock's Quest is very playable, enjoyed it. Bought a spare copy for a friend and shipped it around the world. Postal service returned-to-sender twice. Lock's Quest indeed. Scribblenauts I think was a good proof of concept that got expanded a lot with Scribblenauts Unlimited and PC version.

Hybrid I didn't get into too much because I had bad lag problems, but it was pretty ambitious and I would have liked to see a bigger team with a little more marketing muscle try to use some of the ideas about persistence. Alternatively, it would have been great to get a port of the game to PC where it might have had a bit more of a following.

Run Roo Run, 5th Cell's first iOS game, was one of my favourite auto-platformers on the platform. Basically you are a kangaroo that automatically runs, levels take place on a single screen and involve having excellent reflexes. It's also got a cute story, controls are great, and there's tons of content.

I didn't pledge for Anchors in the Drift because it didn't seem like my kind of game (and honestly as someone who pays a good deal of attention to crowdfunding, Fig really seemed like a mess to me at that juncture. A little less now, but still a mess). I thought when the project didn't take off that they had external funding, I guess not.

Anyway, for a few years there 5th Cell were a really top tier, creative independent studio doing interesting work and coming up with great new IP. I think that's something to be proud of. Sorry to see them shut down!

Not out of nowhere, but sad to hear. Seems like they weren't able to adapt well to the rise of mobile and the decline of Nintendo platforms, and I'm pretty sure that their XBLA shooter bombed.

V_Ben

Banned
Man, this is really sad. What a wonderfully creative studio. Just a shame their recent efforts didn't spark my imagination as much as that first Scribblenauts.

I happened to read that post for the first time on the day they had the launch party for the game at the Nintendo World Store, and I shot down there to get a copy not long after reading it. Even got it signed.

Hope they land on their feet, Super Scribblenauts in particular was fun to dick around in.

L Thammy

I wish that Scribblenauts went in a... I don't know if there's a word, persistent world? direction. Like, imagine that you had a mission where you had to make a bunch of creatures to fight off an alien invasion, and then those creatures keep existing and maybe interacting with things you make hours later. If you could put multiplayer into that, it could be really wild experience.

Or maybe you could do that in Unlimited and I'm just uninformed.

vareon

Man, this hurts. Scribblenauts was riot and a fun way to learn English with my nephews. When Scribblenauts faded, I was hoping them to take contract jobs while building another unique, new IP. Apparently the fig plan failed.

Hopefully the talents find a way to move forward.

Salsa

dang

shout out to Jackson. Lookin forward to whatever's next for him

my mole avatar has always been from one of the Drawn to Life games, such great art.

hope everyone lands on their feet

Hero

Scribblenauts was one of the most creative, original games ever, it's amazing how much they accomplished in that game.

Super sorry to hear this.

fernoca

Darn. Sad to hear.

Was always a big fan of their games and especially Scribblenauts.

And no way to checkout Jeremiah anymore...noooo...</3

Instro

Bummer. I'm not surprised, but it's pretty crazy considering the IPs they managed to put out during the DS years. They were flying pretty high for a while there, but post DS they seemed to slowly fade into obscurity.

RE_Player

Sad to hear.

After their initial success on the DS they never seemed to get anything else to stick. Hope everyone lands on their feet.

xzeldax3

Scribblenauts is an amazing series and I was always hoping a crazy sequel would come out and somehow top their previous games.

UPDATE

New Article from Polygon.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/21/11...ays-off-staff-as-scribblenauts-fighting-words

Polygon said:
Scribblenauts developer 5th Cell says it has laid off staff following the cancellation of Scribblenauts: Fighting Words by publisher Warner Bros.

The number of staff affected is unknown at present. "WB cancelled [Scribblenauts: Fighting Words] today so we had to lay off the staff," said CEO Jeremiah Slaczka in a message to Polygon. "It happened so quick we're not sure what the plans are going forward yet." Slaczka added that a statement would be released in the coming hours.

So yeah, those saying that it sounded like it was sudden were correct, as it seems WB cut funding of their next game and don't have enough in reserve to survive without it.

Mechazawa

Rip 5th Cell.

Hybrid was god damn amazing. Was secretly hoping they'd take another crack at it or port the original to Steam or something one day.

Ooccoo

I remember reading GAF under a different name back then

Never forget

wHGFM7z.png

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Real shame. Such a creative and unique team. I still play the iOS release of Scribblenauts from time to time.

Pepboy

Yeah that was pretty memorable and sold me on Scribblenauts when I eventually saw it in stores. Can't believe it's been 7 years. Creative studio, particularly enjoyed Lock's Quest. Thank you 5th Cell!

That's awful. I for one was really curious on trying out Scribblenauts and their Drawn to Life series. Such a shame to see them go, I hope those who were laid off land on their feet...

KissVibes

Banned
Neogaf we need to poor one out on one of greatest success stories we ever did.
From obscure game at E3 to million+ seller on the DS.
WE MADE 5TH CELL into what it was WE DID that.

RIP 5th cell best of luck to all involved :(

Pretty sure them making several good games made 5th Cell into what they were.

Lunareste

Sad. An old raiding buddy of mine in Wow worked for that studio, I hope they can find a new home to continue their creative outlets.

UPDATE

New Article from Polygon.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/21/11...ays-off-staff-as-scribblenauts-fighting-words

So yeah, those saying that it sounded like it was sudden were correct, as it seems WB cut funding of their next game and don't have enough in reserve to survive without it.

There was a competitive multiplayer (or so I assume from the title) Scribblenauts game announced for mobile, and I never even heard of it until I read this article? Weird.

Crazyorloco

Scribblenauts helps my daughter learn words. It's fun for her...i remember the first time i played i was so amazed by it. I hope this isnt the end for the franchise.

I ran into the original Scribblenauts impression thread, and I saw Feeb's post, wow such a reaction.

And I love this post as well that proceeded after the post:

CeHICZqUEAA5-Qa.jpg

element

Have a number of friends on that team. Sad they are downsizing significantly. They really haven't been able to have anything stick outside of Scribblenauts and that it tough for a creative company.

bfrye26

Neo Member
Jeremiah Slaczka released an official statement:

Unfortunately, due to a project cancellation, we have had to let go of 45 of our very talented staff members today. Layoffs aren’t something we take lightly, and we’d like to thank all our employees for all the hard work and dedication over the years.”

5TH Cell as a company is not closing down, but our focus right now is 100% on helping our staff make the transition to other external opportunities. If we haven’t already reached out, any interested employer can reach us at jobs@5thcell.com.

Taken from: http://www.cgmagonline.com/2016/03/21/5th-cell-may-shutting/

Top Bottom