• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

6 FIFA members accused of accepting bribes for 2018/2022 bids

Status
Not open for further replies.

NekoFever

Meadows said:
They should do a re-vote imo. The England bid deserved more than 1 vote, fucking travesty.
I don't think it would be any better now that the English press is slaughtering them, regardless of whether or not they deserve it.

jett

D-Member
600full-fight-club-artwork.jpg

DominoKid

Qatar getting the World Cup due to crooked tactics? No way!

We all know they did it. It's just a matter of the scale of the corruption.

Cohsae

Qatar is going to be so rubbish. Should have gone to Australia, although whoever created the video for our proposal needs to be fired and/or deported because that was just fucking embarrassing.

Dhx

Cheech said:
What pisses me off is the blocks were falling into place for the USA to finally, finally pick up soccer as a national sport. Excitement over the 2010 World Cup, MLS finally getting its shit together, and the prospective of having a World Cup in the USA would have kept interest in the sport fresh.

And then this bullshit happened.

I'm sorry, this was wishful thinking in the first place. Unless you meant you were hoping this would boost the sport to a position somewhere in between the WNBA and the NHL? It's not going to magically catch on here in any of our lifetimes.

Beyond that? All sports will be replaced by Robot MMA + Laser Guns.

DarkhawkX said:
I'm sorry, this was wishful thinking in the first place. Unless you meant you were hoping this would boost the sport to a position somewhere in between the WNBA and the NHL? It's not going to magically catch on here in any of our lifetimes.

Beyond that? All sports will be replaced by Robot MMA + Laser Guns.

Robot soccer was about to break through, until the genetic algorithm discovered the effectiveness of diving, quickly ruining the sport.

nib95

Banned
It is bullshit but I'm willing to guess briberies have taken place with pretty much every host win in the past.

Choc

Banned
if it wasn't beyond doubt it is now

QATAR was the highest risk, and least appealing bid to FIFA, but won

seriously.......

bjaelke

Honestly, those bribes are rather small. Surprised it didn't take more to convince the members considering the choice they had to make.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
ConfusingJazz said:
No, the ref didn't see it that way, and despite a clear shot from instant replay, the call stands.

Everyone prepare yourselves, because this is exactly what's going to happen.

RustyO

DaMan121 said:
I know Australia won't bid for it again after the 2022 debacle.. 30+ million down the drain. Having said that, after watching the final video presentation they deserved to lose.

Which is a shame. However that video was atrocious. The way Australia presents itself to the outside world at times is downright embarrassing (coming from an immigrant)

mclem

offshore said:
Wait what, FIFA have an ethics commitee?

Wow, what a job it's been doing
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Maybe they're doing a *phenomenal* job... but there's so much corruption all this slipped through their fingers.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Really put a dent in my plans. Wanted to head over to the UK during World Cup month and watch as many games as I could.

But eh.. who's really surprised? Blatter has always been a cunt and despite whatever horse shit dribbles out of his mouth, FIFA is corrupt as they come. Qatar and Russia I can deal with, and I said it in the initial announcement thread that it's all about money. But they're going to have to step lightly before some federations of nations get pissed off enough to create an entirely different organization and woo others across. Grass is greener on the other side etc.

NoRéN

ElectricBlue187 said:
ugh fuck FIFA and Qatar for fucking the entire world out of a decent world cup
First ever winter world cup or a floating, man-made cloud! That's damn decent!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
M_Night said:
There needs to be a re-vote. A nice little boycott from several big nations could put the wheels in motion.

The only big nation that could conceivably make a fuss is England. Nobody else really gives a shit right now. And when they start making it it will be too late.

Go_Ly_Dow

Sports Minister Hugh Robertson has suggested England could break away from Fifa if it does not address allegations of corruption within the organisation.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/9482440.stm

Regulus Tera said:
The only big nation that could conceivably make a fuss is England. Nobody else really gives a shit right now. And when they start making it it will be too late.

Indeed. These allegations will eventually be shoved under the rug.

Zzoram

How about they first fix the rules so that video footage can be used to correct bad referee calls? That's more detrimental to the sport than a change in scenery.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
SolidPain said:
http://manu.theoffside.com/files/2008/10/mourinho.jpg

Mourinho is shocked.

It's the UNICEF power man.

Zzoram said:
How about they first fix the rules so that video footage can be used to correct bad referee calls? That's more detrimental to the sport than a change in scenery.

They are already on talks about that. It will most probably be implemented for the Euros next year at the earliest.

MMaRsu

Banned
Regulus Tera said:

Spain, The Netherlands ?

ymmv

Banned
What an outrage! Qatar won because it had the best bid. The whole world will celebrate football in a wonderful atmosphere: airconditoned stadiums in modern desert cities. Some cities even have multiple stadiums so fans don't have to travel that much. It's such a nice, cozy country, that some stadiums actually hold more people than the hosting city has inhabitants. And no chance of rain spoiling the festivities, since the weather in Qatar is always bright and sunny (average high temperature during the day is 44+ °C). And people in Qatar are always friendly if you behave yourself (no alocohol, no drugs, no sex, no gays). And there's so much if you're a tourist: you can wander through the desert, you can go shopping in various malls or go to a mosque.

Nah, the UK is just jealous. Qatar is PERFECT!

Meadows

Banned
ymmv said:
What an outrage! Qatar won because it had the best bid. The whole world will celebrate football in a wonderful atmosphere: airconditoned stadiums in modern desert cities. Some cities even have multiple stadiums so fans don't have to travel that much. It's such a nice, cozy country, that some stadiums actually hold more people than the hosting city has inhabitants. And no chance of rain spoiling the festivities, since the weather in Qatar is always bright and sunny (average high temperature during the day is 44+ °C). And people in Qatar are always friendly if you behave yourself (no alocohol, no drugs, no sex, no gays). And there's so much if you're a tourist: you can wander through the desert, you can go shopping in various malls or go to a mosque.

Nah, the UK is just jealous. Qatar is PERFECT!

the lolage is palatable

Garjon

Xater said:
Does that mean we can get the WC out of Qatar? Please say yes!
Probably not. A boycott on the other hand...
Of course that could only happen if enough nations agree to it (assuming the WC is still held in Qatar)

Cheech

PetriP-TNT said:
I might be a consipiracy theorist here but I am 100% sure that FIFA/NHL/NFL. are corrupted to the bone

If the NFL was corrupt, Buffalo would have moved to LA years ago.

smurfx

get some go again
PetriP-TNT said:
I might be a consipiracy theorist here but I am 100% sure that FIFA/NHL/NFL. are corrupted to the bone
lol no nba? we at least have some facts about that being corrupt with that referee being caught fixing games.

Dabanton

Obvious to anyone how corrupt FIFA is among other things their are lots of juicy construction deals in which friends and associates of voting members can make a lot of money building stadiums and other building used for the WC hence Russia and Qatar 'virgin' territories in regards to that kind of business.

As long as Blatter and his scum are in charge things will not change England and a few other large nations should have quit after the voting for Russia and Qatar would have had much more impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom