• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

68th Primetime Emmys | Hosted by Jimmy Kimmel | Sept. 18 7e/4p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ledbetter

Season 7 isn't airing until the summer and the cutoff for the 2017 Emmys is the end of May (meaning half of the season's episodes would need to be aired by the end of May). Season 7 will be eligible for the 2018 Emmys.

Which means that... Better Call Saul will win everything next year!

Yeah, I know it won't happen, probably Mr. Robot takes the spot.

Zero315

Banned
I still can't believe Tatiana won... holy shit! The one-two punch of Rami and her winning was incredible.

Definitely one of the most surprising Emmys in a while.

Natiko

Banned
Wait... Rami Malik and Tatiana Maslany both won? What reality is this?!
Came in to say this. Damn, that's great. I could have understood Malik loosing even though he's deserving of the win but I didn't think Tatiana had any chance in hell despite deserving it whole heartedly.

The great: Tatiana Maslany, Rami Malek and Louie Anderson winning. People vs OJ Simpson cleaning up. John Oliver winning.

The bad: Game of Thrones winning anything. Transparent winning "comedy" awards. Julia Louis-Dreyfus not being as classy as Candice Bergen was when she stopped submitting herself. Veep isn't that good.

Link

The Autumn Wind
The great: Tatiana Maslany, Rami Malek and Louie Anderson winning. People vs OJ Simpson cleaning up. John Oliver winning.

The bad: Game of Thrones winning anything. Transparent winning "comedy" awards. Julia Louis-Dreyfus not being as classy as Candice Bergen was when she stopped submitting herself. Veep isn't that good.
Not sure how you can complain about that this year. Show was firing on all cylinders this season.

Natiko

Banned
I can understand Game of Thrones winning this year. As much as I love Better Call Saul, it spent a bit too much time this season retreading the same ground.

Even if Game of Thrones was the only drama that aired in the eligibility period it still wouldn't be the best drama. It's a 7/10 at its absolute best, and usually hovers around a 4-5.

The one year I don't bother watching the Emmys, Tatiana Maslany wins. (Have I been jinxing her at this time?) Rarrrgh. Congrats to her, so deserved! Great to hear about Rami Malek, too.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
I am so fucking happy for those actors in The People Vs OJ. Absolutely deserved! Would have been robbery if Courtney Vance didn't win, but beyond happy for Sterling Brown! dude was awesome. they all were.

Lothar

Banned
I'm glad Rami won, and can't complain about GOT it's been a great season.
The Americans and Fargo were robbed, at least in some categories. Fargo will be alright, but more people need to watch The Americans.
Travolta and Schwimmer (especially Schimmer) being nominated is a joke and you know it.
I think I'm finally gonna start watching Veep.

What's so good about the Americans? What's it about?

Fargo too if anyone wants to talk about it.

Prompto

Banned
Happy about People vs Oj and Rami Malek winning. Also happy about Tatiana winning even though I stopped watching Orphan Black after the second season.

The Americans deserved more though :(

Pryce

That HBO voting bloc is horrible.

Oh well. (That is going all toward GoT as Veep and John Oliver are fine shows)

ZoddGutts

The Americans will never win, it has neither the hype or the budget to equal to GoT. The Americans is the superior show but it's not the show everyone talks about which the Emmy's will always go with.

Glad Rami won and Tatiana finally did, GoT was more deserving this year than last which was a total "make up" year but still not the best drama IMO.

I will never care about the Emmys as long as Always Sunny continually gets snubbed. I hate how drama capitalizes everything. Dramadies have such a huge advantage over pure comedies. Jeffrey Tambor is really great, but that show is hardly a comedy.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The Americans will never win, it has neither the hype or the budget to equal to GoT. The Americans is the superior show but it's not the show everyone talks about which the Emmy's will always go with.

Clean sweep in its penultimate or final season. Calling it now. Best drama and at least one of the best actor categories.

Ashhong

His surprise expression when his name was called brought a smile to my face. Dude looked genuinely shocked. Good for him.

Is Veep that good? 5 consecutive awards for JLD if I remember correctly. Goddamn!

His surprise expression when his name was called brought a smile to my face. Dude looked genuinely shocked. Good for him.

Is Veep that good? 5 consecutive awards for JLD if I remember correctly. Goddamn!

There was a time when everyone thought JLD was cursed career wise post seinfeld. Crazy to see things change now.

kevin1025

Banned

It is very good! There can be parts where I felt the comedy didn't quite work, but that's upstaged by some incredibly funny moments, and some of the best insults ever said.

very happy for Rami Malek winning. check his imdb to see if he's popping off and his next (and only project) he's got in the pipeline is a papillon remake with charlie hunnam....jesus christ smh.

i hate when people i like don't get much shine in their careers. i think this dude would kill it in something by david lynch for example. hopefully he gets noticed by some good talent.

Next year Got compite In miniseries's category?

It's not eligible at all next year due to the fact that it isn't airing until the summer. Personally I think they should just suspend the writing in a drama category given that fact. Without such talented luminaries like Benioff and Weiss eligible, why even bother giving out an award?

Rami Malek! Tatiana Maslany's win was also pleasantly surprising after hearing all the raves from her passionate fanbase. Great lead acting wins. In supporting, expected Lena Headey, would have liked to see Maura Tierney, but Maggie Smith won out...

Would have also been nice to see The Americans win something, but I'm only surprised that it lost in Writing. Just glad it got a sizeable number of big nominations this year though. Should be able to get the wins down the final stretch the next two years.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I still find it weird that UK stuff is just mixed in there.

But wow, the Networks got shut the fuck out... colour me surprised.

sohois

I was quite surprised to see Game of Thrones win initially, as such an average show seems out of keeping with the normal quality that goes to the drama award winner (and I also just forgot that it won last year as well)

But now that I actually look at past winners I guess I just never really realized how garbage the award has largely been. They just seemed to get lucky from the time I started to pay attention to them, with a stretch from Sopranos in 07 to Breaking Bad's final win where they pretty much were picking the best show on TV in those two plus Mad Men and Homeland S1. Probably would have been a lot less impressive if I had seen the two previous years when Lost and 24 won. Or if I'd seen the zero nominations for The Wire, zero nominations for The Shield, only one for Deadwood or West Wing beating out The Sopranos again and again. Game of Thrones wins are just back to normality, just picking any really popular shows that manage to maintain at least a 7/10 quality most times.

IronRinn

Just checked in to see if The Americans, Fargo, or Better Call Saul won anything. Just GoT all over the place as usual. Oh well.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
There was a time when everyone thought JLD was cursed career wise post seinfeld. Crazy to see things change now.

JLD was always the big winner after Seinfeld. She had a successful show on CBS well before VEEP and had some great guest performances.

Jason has had no luck on TV and has stayed primarily on stage. Jerry drives around getting coffee and Micheal is probably drunk in a gutter somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom