• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8-4 Play 1/20/2017: BULKY GAMING PODCAST

Flebg9o.png

8-4 Play 1/20/2017: BULKY GAMING PODCAST
Switch announcement aftermath, Gravity Rush 1, Miitopia, Let it Die, DOOM, Bloodborne, Parasite Eve, Fire Emblem Direct, and more!

Running Time: 1:33:33
・ Direct Download (53.6MB)
・ Subscribe to 8-4 Play via iTunes
・ Subscribe to 8-4 Play via RSS Feed
・ Follow 8-4 Play on Twitter (twitter.com/84play)
・ Follow 8-4 on Facebook (facebook.com/hachinoyon)

Time – Topic Discussed:
10:32 – Dragon Quest Builders
15:01 – Titanfall 2, PS4 Buttons
19:38 – VR Games
25:40 – DOOM, VR legs
31:32 – Let it Die
35:53 – Bloodborne
39:35 – Gravity Rush 1
44:42 – Miitopia
50:56 – Parasite Eve
57:20 – Switch Aftermath
1:18:44 – Gaben AMA
1:19:23 – Fire Emblem Direct
1:24:40 – Switch Grip
1:26:59 – Closing Comments

Xater

Oh JJ. There are no words. Glad Mark went hard on him.

JJ just stop. Never talk about voice chat again. Clearly you are out of your depth.

urfe

Loving Switch talk. Nice to agree with JJ after that FFXV debacle.

(๑・̑◡・̑๑)

Kyoufu

I'm with Mark on the voice chat app debacle. There's no way it makes sense.

Imagine how much shit Sony or Microsoft would get if they forced people to use their smartphone for party chat.

Chuck

Still without luck
JJ defending Nintendo bullshit? Must be a regular 8-4 cast.

No one wants to have to manage that stuff on a separate screen, which is why second screen was a disgusting failure on the other consoles INCLUDING WII U BTW. It also sure as fuck doesn't matter "how the software works".

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Who is the regular cast of 8-4? I do not listen to them regularly, and the voices kinda mesh for me still.
I guess the current main line-up is Justin Epperson, Mark MacDonald, Roy Blakely, Sarah Podzorski and Graham Howard!?

JJ defending Nintendo bullshit? Must be a regular 8-4 cast.

No one wants to have to manage that stuff on a separate screen, which is why second screen was a disgusting failure on the other consoles INCLUDING WII U BTW. It also sure as fuck doesn't matter "how the software works".
Remember at the beginning of the Xbox One when every game had to have some crappy app or something? What a success that was.

Faustek

Sarah confirmed as gutter trash in the sound department.
No, they aren't good. They aren't even "ok" Ms.Podzorski.

I need to learn to hear sarcasm.

Grayham keep at it, there is nothing shady about playing games to match the seasons/events of real life XD

I'm with Mark on the voice chat app debacle. There's no way it makes sense.

Imagine how much shit Sony or Microsoft would get if they forced people to use their smartphone for party chat.

The idea itself is great as a side thing but only having it? Well that's that then.

Please discuss Yakuza 0 next episode you guys! You are from Japan right? Represent!

"and Japanese games"....but yes, Yakuza is one of the best thing to come out of Japan when talking games ^^

EDIT: I should confirm that JJ is right in the apartment about it being awful. MS/PSN have really crappy quality and bad management but then to say Skype?
Pretty sure he said skype
...no not even when Skype wasn't MS little vuln magnet it wasn't a thing for anyone but those weird people that didn't know how to read.

I feel like they never really hit the obvious point about the whole app debacle that once you enter in to your party chat lobby with switch friends with your bluetooth headset/earbuds synced the phone can just be left asleep near you?

Sure it's not the most ideal solution, but if it free's up as much bandwidth on the console as possible and the final functionality of it is not THAT obtuse then I dont see it as the huge deal that people are making it.

ultimately we need more details but I highly doubt that you'll need to have the phone screen constantly on the entire time with the app up and active and requiring constant engagement. Some people are assuming such a scenario.

idk, i sort of see where JJ's coming from, especially given the sharp rise of Discord channels.

I've used it on Wii U for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and it was serviceable but not amazing, Apart from that I suppose I would have used it when playing with friends online in MK or Splatoon (which was/is maybe 10-15% of the time) if I could. Assuming this app isnt the equivalent of jumping through a series of flaming hoops I'll now have the ability to do so, so that's neat?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
The problem with voice chat through your phone is also that you can't play without TV speakers anymore or you won't have game audio. A downside for having both come from different sources.

Faustek

Are you talking about what she said about the Apple headphones?That was sarcasm.

Siberia something something. Don't remember the model.
Also I actually missed the sarcasm, I assume that it was the same for the Siberia then?
The problem with voice chat through your phone is also that you can't play without TV speakers anymore or you won't have game audio. A downside for having both come from different sources.

I asked about this in another Switch thread and no one knows. I doubt that they will "meld" the sound in the phone application but hey! At least Reggie is doing his job well. Some really eat that up.

Hasney

No, she likes the Steelseries Siberiea. What's the issue with them? They don't rate under 8/10 on all the reviews I see.

oti

Banned
No one even uses Nintendo voice chat as it is. who seriously uses it here honestly

I don't. It's funny how Nintendo has designed Splatoon around the fact there was no voice chat on Wii U and it works well. Even on PS4 when I play Overwatch I never use voice chat. Never.

But still, Nintendo's radical smartphone only thing doesn't make any sense. And Reggie's comment about bulky headsets was just dumb.

FWIW I'm sure the app will be fine in the end. Would be cool if you could send invite links over Twitter, people tap the link on their phone and you're in the same multilayer lobby on Switch instantaneously. That's the idea here I believe.

Really good cast and I enjoyed the Switch discussion. The one thing I will say about Nintendo's online service. If it doesn't work out well, at least they have a financial incentive to fix it. They can't afford to just let it languish. Investors will demand similar attach ratios to Live and PSN.

Suzzopher

Adding another layer to play online is ridiculous, if you're on PC and using mumble or Skype you are still using the same device.

This Nintendo move of having the app responsible for voice chat and matchmaking is so dumb, next level only Nintendo could be this stupid dumb.

I can't see how it's defendable in the slightest.....I rarely play online outside of FFXIV these days, but I do often party chat on PS4 whilst friends and I play other games.

hank_tree

Never had a problem with PS4 party chat. That JJ dude is on crack.

I've played 1000+ hours of Destiny. The majority of that in party chat and I've had lots of issues.

Party chat is decent but it's not perfect by any stretch.

I'm not saying I expect Nintendo's solution to be better but Party chat isn't perfect. Not by a long shot.

I always play with headphones. Does that mean if I want voice chat, I will need two separate headsets? One that goes to the switch or tv for game audio and second that connects to the phone for voice chat?

Mokubba

Doesn't the Vita have voice chat.
I'm not really buying the whole freeing up resources excuse for not having it on the device.

The way I see it, this is a soft launch of the switch and online is not ready. Give it a year and voice chat will come to the switch (it has to). Excuses like bulky headsets or freeing up resources are just bs...

Faustek

No, she likes the Steelseries Siberiea. What's the issue with them? They don't rate under 8/10 on all the reviews I see.

Yes, gaming site reviews.
Most audio reviews are made of people that are used comparing just those. Those headsets are bad and I'm not surprised that people actually like them, gutter people, chuds and such that is. Still weird me out that we went from a Walkman to a damn apple, sorry I seriously can't remember the name, mp3 Walkman.

Build quality bad.
Sound quality bad.
High and low register non existing.
And then having the gall to throw the word gaming in front of it is just hilarious. Doesn't help, it's just a valuable code word for trash we're selling for an extra decimal.

Never had a problem with PS4 party chat. That JJ dude is on crack.

JJ is a nice fella. Pretty sure most of them are but sometimes their jokes are.... Well horribly bad.

Apparently, yes. This will be you:

That picture is amazing. How? Why? Where?

Doesn't the Vita have voice chat.
I'm not really buying the whole freeing up resources excuse for not having it on the device.

Have something party on it. Never tried the voice chat since PSN loves to garble the sound quality.

Top Bottom