• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

80% in America believe in God

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
You're referring to the "God of the gaps" argument, which is indeed faulty--basically the equivalent of saying "We don't know [yet], so it must be something supernatural."

But I don't think belief in a designer is necessarily "making something up." Our universe is self-contradictory, given that matter cannot be created or destroyed. The Kalam principle states that anything that began to exist has to have had a cause, so what can we logically conclude caused the universe (and by extension, the laws of reality) to exist?

It could be another universe/multiverse, but that just pushes the question back a single step further, and we're back to where we started. The cause has to be something not contingent (something that exists within a space-time framework). To exist within space-time is to be bound to those things, so whatever caused the universe(s) must be outside of that, and thus immaterial. It's something that's necessary and cannot depend on something else to exist.

If it created all space, it's immaterial; all time, it's eternal; something from nothing, all-powerful. An immaterial, eternal, all-powerful entity: God.

Anyway, that's the cliff notes version for one argument for theism. You might contest some of these specifics, but the point is that there's a much more logical chain of reasoning and deduction than just saying Zeus made lightning or whatever.
I'm referring to the "argument from ignorance" logical fallacy, where one assumes something is true because it hasn't been proven false yet, which leaves the door open for all kinds of things that feel good in our head but have no basis in reality.

"Our universe is self-contradictory, given that matter cannot be created or destroyed." - in what way is this self-contradictory?

"The Kalam principle states that anything that began to exist has to have had a cause" - I don't know what this is or why I should accept that this is true.

"Anyway, that's the cliff notes version for one argument for theism. You might contest some of these specifics, but the point is that there's a much more logical chain of reasoning and deduction than just saying Zeus made lightning or whatever." - this is not a more logical chain of reasoning and deduction even though it might sound like one, because in both cases you're already starting from an unsubstantiated premise based on unprovable claims.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Do you disagree that the universe had a beginning?
There is currently no way to know that based on our present technology. One might call the Big Bang a "beginning" of sorts, but that's just a simplified way of saying that we have evidence to suggest that all this stuff happened up to a certain point of time in the past, but we cannot investigate further because our understanding of physics is not sophisticated enough to make sense of it. We don't know if something "began" or if it was always there because we can only look so far into the past.

Fbh

I get the impression that a lot of you feel that atheism should be the default, or that there's no rational reason to believe in God. But regardless of what you choose--unless you opt out of it via agnosticism--you're going to believe something.

There are very large questions about our reality and our universe that science is not capable of answering using the requirements of repeatable, testable, observable, measurable methods. When we deal with immaterial concepts, whether God, or free will, or the mind, or morality, or parallel universes...these are philosophical ideas. And despite pop science being a culturally popular (and often politically-co-opted) field, I feel that philosophy and reason can be as crucial to problem-solving as science and math.

Irrespective of the results religion has on society or happiness, I think to hand-wave away all religions as baseless fairy tales is ignorant and overtly broad. There are valid, logically sound reasons to be a theist just as there are valid, logically sound reasons to be an atheist.

I think a part that's being left out of the discussion in this thread, even though it probably just represent a low percentage of people, is the possibility of believing in a "God" without adhering to any of the major religions.
Personally I consider myself agnostic. I don't believe in Christianity or any other major religions, I don't believe in the afterlife or the soul or any of those things but I think flat out stating there's no such thing as a god or higher force behind our known reality is presumptuous.

Rran

I'm referring to the "argument from ignorance" logical fallacy, where one assumes something is true because it hasn't been proven false yet, which leaves the door open for all kinds of things that feel good in our head but have no basis in reality.
Right, "God of the gaps" is a variant of argument from ignorance.
"Our universe is self-contradictory, given that matter cannot be created or destroyed." - in what way is this self-contradictory?
Well, because everything within the universe presumably has a grounded, in-universe explanation that doesn't break the laws of existence. If you found some sort of glowing, otherworldly object while walking about one day, you'd be curious as to its existence, how it was made, etc. I don't think you'd accept the premise that it was always there or just exists without being contingent on anything. Now let's say that object was the size of a car, or a planet, or the universe itself. You'd still be curious about how it came to be in the first place.

Even the Big Bang didn't come from nothing; there was still matter and space and the very laws of reality that would've had to been in place prior to it. But those same laws of reality state that such a thing should not have been possible since matter cannot be created from nothing. That's the contradiction.
"The Kalam principle states that anything that began to exist has to have had a cause" - I don't know what this is or why I should accept that this is true.
It's a commonly used cosmological argument for the existence of (a) god:

P1: Whatever began to exist has a cause.
P2: The universe began to exist.
C: Therefore, the universe has a cause.

If you disagree with premise 1, can you elaborate on why?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Do you disagree that the universe had a beginning?

Yes, actually. Because ‘beginning’ is a word used to denote a period of time, implying there must have been something in existence prior to the universe (the much vaunted ’black void’) for it to be created into, further implying causality - which didn‘t exist, because there was nothing prior to the universe for anything else to ‘begin‘ into. Any time an argument about the existence for god begins with human terminology, context, or meaning, it should be dismissed.

Now pass me that fucking bong, dude.

Ice Cube Smoking GIF

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Even the Big Bang didn't come from nothing; there was still matter and space and the very laws of reality that would've had to been in place prior to it.

This is where you’re wrong my friend, as mentioned above.

Last edited:

Doczu

Happy that it is so.

Religion is more than a belief. It is an instillation of core values that make the society greater for what it is. The family unit is one of the core tenets of religion and I strongly believe it makes people happier.
It really does. It's a set of rules on how to function in a society (the 10 commandments), how to form happy families and the best way to teach your child morality through the many stories that form the Bible and other religious scriptures.

And before anyone writes that you don't need releigion or faith for that: the more secular a society the higher the rate of divorce, single parenthood and people struggling with their mental well-being.

Most people who throw away religion don't throw away belief, they just replace one with another.
Just look at woke people, hardcore feminists or atheists. Their mindset and behaviour is comparable to religious zealots 😐

FunkMiller

Gold Member
And before anyone writes that you don't need releigion or faith for that: the more secular a society the higher the rate of divorce, single parenthood and people struggling with their mental well-being.

This is, it goes without saying, absolutely not true.

https://www.news24.com/news24/xarch...on-believers-according-to-statistics-20180719

https://www.learnreligions.com/divorce-rates-for-atheists-248494

https://humanists.uk/2019/03/10/hum...to-end-in-divorce-official-statistics-reveal/

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
how to form happy families and the best way to teach your child morality through the many stories that form the Bible
Ah, my favorite morality story of how to create and form happy families!

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Bible_(King_James)/Genesis#19:30

30 And Lot went up out of Zoar, and dwelt in the mountain, and his two daughters with him; for he feared to dwell in Zoar: and he dwelt in a cave, he and his two daughters.

31 And the firstborn said unto the younger, Our father is old, and there is not a man in the earth to come in unto us after the manner of all the earth:

32 Come, let us make our father drink wine, and we will lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father.

33 And they made their father drink wine that night: and the firstborn went in, and lay with her father; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose.

34 And it came to pass on the morrow, that the firstborn said unto the younger, Behold, I lay yesternight with my father: let us make him drink wine this night also; and go thou in, and lie with him, that we may preserve seed of our father.

35 And they made their father drink wine that night also: and the younger arose, and lay with him; and he perceived not when she lay down, nor when she arose.

36 Thus were both the daughters of Lot with child by their father.

37 And the firstborn bare a son, and called his name Moab: the same is the father of the Moabites unto this day.

38 And the younger, she also bare a son, and called his name Benammi: the same is the father of the children of Ammon unto this day.

BigBooper

What about the other two claims?

For divorce, I'd possibly be surprised if it were necessarily higher because there's less impetus to get married in the first place if you don't view fornication as a sin.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned

For divorce, I'd possibly be surprised if it were necessarily higher because there's less impetus to get married in the first place if you don't view fornication as a sin.
Divorce isn’t necessarily a bad thing. How many couples suffer a life of misery with each other because of religious beliefs and don’t want to “sin”

FunkMiller

Gold Member

Hard to find empirical evidence on the single parenthood, but non believers have good mental health:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/...1812/the-mental-health-atheists-and-the-nones

https://www.businessinsider.com/atheism-isnt-bad-for-your-well-being-2015-4?r=US&IR=T

Although here's one that suggested the most sure of us are the ones less likely to suffer mental health issues!

https://academic.oup.com/qjmed/article/98/11/840/1522338 ...which probably makes a great deal of sense.

Mental health is a very complex issue though, which is why I didn't initially link to articles about it. But being non religious certainly does not lead you to be more vulnerable to mental health issues than anyone else. That is absolute rubbish.

BigBooper

Divorce isn’t necessarily a bad thing. How many couples suffer a life of misery with each other because of religious beliefs and don’t want to “sin”
True for a lot of people, but it changes when there's kids involved. Of course, there's a ton of variables that could cause a net benefit or negative... for instance, if the parents are hostile to each other.

Batiman

Banned
True for a lot of people, but it changes when there's kids involved. Of course, there's a ton of variables that could cause a net benefit or negative... for instance, if the parents are hostile to each other.
I agree. It’s sad to see how petty parents become after a split. Or how unwillingly they are to put differences aside for the benefit of their children.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
When I am in the Hall, listening to the discourse and having the watchtower discussion... I feel happy and content. It makes me feel good when I'm learning about what certain passages meant that I didn't understand before and how it relates to today and, specifically, to me.

I'm a work in progress but I try to live the way God wants me to. And yes, it's actually covered in the Bible.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I know plenty of people from mixed families who are very much happier having their parents divorced than sticking with a spouse they can’t stand anymore. It can be messy and difficult, but nothing sounds quite as bad as being in a home where the parents are miserable together.

I get the impression that a lot of you feel that atheism should be the default, or that there's no rational reason to believe in God. But regardless of what you choose--unless you opt out of it via agnosticism--you're going to believe something.

There are very large questions about our reality and our universe that science is not capable of answering using the requirements of repeatable, testable, observable, measurable methods. When we deal with immaterial concepts, whether God, or free will, or the mind, or morality, or parallel universes...these are philosophical ideas. And despite pop science being a culturally popular (and often politically-co-opted) field, I feel that philosophy and reason can be as crucial to problem-solving as science and math.

Irrespective of the results religion has on society or happiness, I think to hand-wave away all religions as baseless fairy tales is ignorant and overtly broad. There are valid, logically sound reasons to be a theist just as there are valid, logically sound reasons to be an atheist.
Sure. Just not in celestial virgins and transubstantiation of mankind's savior on a cracker.

I can't sanction that. There is much talk of the lessons in religion recently (Jordan Peterson is really good at this, as is modern Judaism), and they are good lessons. They are not fact. Let's have the new testament 2 that calls heaven and hell parables like everything else.

The older I get the more I believe, not an anthropomorphic conception of God but more of a grand purpose of the Universe. I mean how else do you explain the current LGBTQ+- extremist psyop? 🥲

I also agree with the conspiracy dudes, but they are purposefully overtly overdoing it now to trigger people, seems the elites want people to feel like the conspiracy exists. It is too obviously in your face now. So perhaps the conspiracy was not real but they want certain people to feel like it is real now, so they can create more “events” to justify future political decisions. I sure hope it’s not to nazi my ass.

But seriously as we get older and come to face mortality it is natural to start believing in some woo woo stuff. I mean nature and life itself is magnificent enough for us to believe in something innately special about existence.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I dont belevie myself but look at the other side right now.. which would you rather hang out with? One belevies God created Woman.. the other forces you to beleive Anything can be a Woman.

Last edited:

Pejo

Gold Member
I feel like there's a bell curve with intelligence and belief in a higher power. Like stupid people can believe wholeheartedly in god, then you have the pseudo-intellectuals that are proud to be atheist, then once you actually read more about quantum science and space science, you start to think, "damn, how was this all created after all?" Just my 2c anyways.

Amory

Atheism is never going to poll well because it's a cold, hopeless viewpoint pushed on everyone by a lot of, frankly, asshole pseudo intellectuals. Obviously mileage varies, there are atheists that are great people too.

Most people don't go to church or actively practice religion, but theyd still consider themselves believers rather than not. Why? Because it's nicer. It's just a nicer thought.

Chaplain

I feel like there's a bell curve with intelligence and belief in a higher power. Like stupid people can believe wholeheartedly in god, then you have the pseudo-intellectuals that are proud to be atheist, then once you actually read more about quantum science and space science, you start to think, "damn, how was this all created after all?" Just my 2c anyways.

I think this all boils down to differences in worldviews, not intelligence.

"Think of the Nobel Prize in Physics, for example. It was won in 2013 by Peter Higgs, a Scotsman who is an atheist, for his ground-breaking work on subatomic particles, and his prediction, later proved, of the existence of the Higgs boson. Some years before that, it was won by William Phillips, an American who is a Christian. If science and God do not mix, there would be no Christian Nobel Prize winners. In fact, between 1901 and 2000 over 60% of Nobel Laureates were Christians. I want to suggest that what divides Professors Higgs and Phillips is not their physics or their standing as scientists— they’ve both won the Nobel Prize. What divides them is their worldview. Higgs is an atheist and Phillips is a Christian.

"According to 100 Years of Nobel Prizes (2005) by Baruch Aba Shalev, a review of Nobel Prizes awarded between 1901 and 2000, 65.4% of Nobel Prize Laureates, have identified Christianity in its various forms as their religious preference (423 prizes). Overall, Christians have won a total of 78.3% of all the Nobel Prizes in Peace, 72.5% in Chemistry, 65.3% in Physics, 62% in Medicine, 54% in Economics, and 49.5% of all Literature awards."

Source: Oxford professor John Lennox, Can Science Explain Everything?, Kindle Edition

Edited

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Atheism is never going to poll well because it's a cold, hopeless viewpoint pushed on everyone by a lot of, frankly, asshole pseudo intellectuals. Obviously mileage varies, there are atheists that are great people too.

Honestly, where do people get this from?

If atheism has any tenets at all, it’s that we only get one life, so live it to the full. Nothing comes after it, so it’s on you to make the world a good place for yourself and those around you. There is no one looking down on you in judgement, and you should be free to live however you want to, as long as you don’t hurt others.

I mean, the universe is a cold, indifferent place to humanity, but there’s nothing any of us can do about that. Best to just have as good a time as you can manage, and not hurt yourself too much on the way out.

Chaplain

This thread is yet another example of why I think religion makes people stupid.

Some of the smartest people presently living are religious and/or irreligious.

Richard Dawkins is emeritus Professor of the Public Understanding of Science at Oxford University and author of the best-selling atheist book 'The God Delusion'. Francis Collins is the former head of the Human Genome Project and National Institutes of Health, currently serving as Science Advisor to the President and author of 'The Language of God: A scientist presents evidence for belief'. They discuss their journeys towards and away from faith, Covid, genetics, evolution, the origin of the universe, evil, morality and God in a wide ranging conversation with Justin Brierley.

Celebrated mathematical physicist Sir Roger Penrose talks to renowned Christian philosopher William Lane Craig about God and the Universe. They discuss Penrose's '3 realms' view of reality and his Conformal Cyclical Cosmology. Could the fundamental nature of reality, the Big Bang and the fine tuning of the Universe point towards a creator God?

Matt Dillahunty, host of The Atheist Experience, and Glen Scrivener, director of Speak Life, debate whether atheism or Christianity can deliver the morality we need for a better world.

Jordan B Peterson debates the psychology of religious belief with atheist academic Susan Blackmore in the first episode of The Big Conversation.

edited

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Well, because everything within the universe presumably has a grounded, in-universe explanation that doesn't break the laws of existence. If you found some sort of glowing, otherworldly object while walking about one day, you'd be curious as to its existence, how it was made, etc. I don't think you'd accept the premise that it was always there or just exists without being contingent on anything. Now let's say that object was the size of a car, or a planet, or the universe itself. You'd still be curious about how it came to be in the first place.
Sure, everything in this current known universe of ours probably has a grounded explanation that doesn't break any of our currently known models of physics. If something did, then that means we have a new data point, and it's time to refine and rework our current model of physics. If I found some kind of otherworldly object, yes I would probably wonder how it got here or how it came to be. I would wonder if it was created via a natural process or maybe a human constructed it. Ultimately, if I iterate this deconstructive process far back enough, I would come to the constituent atoms of this object being created in the fire of a supernova, just like everything else we see around us.

It would be far-fetched to accept the premise that this object was always here since the beginning of time since that conflicts with what the evidence shows about the first moments of the universe. However, if you were to ask me if it's plausible that the constituent subatomic particles that make up this object existed since the beginning of the universe, then I would have to say that it is a plausible possibility, given what we have observed about the universe so far.

If the object were bigger, then yes, I'd still be curious about how it came to be. I'm not sure if you're implying that I'm NOT curious about the origins of our universe? Because I definitely am. I'm just not prepared to make claims about the origins of the universe that aren't backed up by evidence.

If you don't think I'd accept the premise that some object was always here without being contingent on anything, then why do you think it's fine to accept that for yourself?

Even the Big Bang didn't come from nothing; there was still matter and space and the very laws of reality that would've had to been in place prior to it. But those same laws of reality state that such a thing should not have been possible since matter cannot be created from nothing. That's the contradiction.
You can't assume that the same rules of our universe apply to before the Big Bang. One planck time after the Big Bang, our universe and all of our physics as we know it apply. Before then, we don't know because our current models of physics break down.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_the_universe

You are getting caught up in the semantics of what "nothing" is and that makes you feel like that is a contradiction in the first law of thermodynamics. Matter is energy and energy is matter, and if the total energy of the system is the same from the beginning of the Big Bang until now, then nothing is contradictory. If you're trying to make a case for what was around before the Big Bang, you can't because "before" implies time, and we don't know if time exists before the Big Bang because all of our models of physics break down the further back we try to extrapolate.

It's a commonly used cosmological argument for the existence of (a) god:

P1: Whatever began to exist has a cause.
P2: The universe began to exist.
C: Therefore, the universe has a cause.

If you disagree with premise 1, can you elaborate on why?

The problem I have with your argument is that:

1. What is your evidence to support premise 1? We can trace the present forms of all current matter back to their composite fundamental particles to almost the beginning of the Big Bang, but we don't know if there was a cause for that because we can't observe that far back.

2. What is your evidence to support premise 2? The current presentation of the universe as we know it today "began to exist" 14 billion years ago, but that could have been the same matter and energy just arranged in a different way "before" then, but we don't know because we can't observe that far back in time, if time even exists.

3. You're trying to prove God, right? If that's they case, why is the word "God" not present at all in either your premises or your conclusion?

4. I assume you're talking about an eternal God right? What is the cause of God? And, if God doesn't have a cause, why do you make a special exception for that in violation of Premise 1?

Chronicle

If anyone thinks all this is a fluke you're out of your minds. There's more far more reason this a simulation than chance. This is intelligent design. You must define the term God as well.

Mossybrew

Gold Member
Not gonna read this whole thread but that 80% number seems WAY too high, I don't buy that figure for a second. Not interested in the argument because IDGAF what you believe, whatever helps you sleep at night and pretend total oblivion doesn't await us all, I'm all for it. I wish I could believe in this bullshit, I probably wouldn't have to drink as much as I do.

Last edited:

Rran

If the object were bigger, then yes, I'd still be curious about how it came to be. I'm not sure if you're implying that I'm NOT curious about the origins of our universe? Because I definitely am. I'm just not prepared to make claims about the origins of the universe that aren't backed up by evidence.
That's fair, but I want to drive home that the point I'm making in all of this is not specifically that you must subscribe to this line of thinking, but rather that there is a reasonable philosophical basis for believing in God. I started down this cosmological rabbit-hole because several users here were accusing religious followers of simply being devoted to blind faith.

(And blind faith is actually a heresy in Catholicism! It's referred to as "fideism" and it's highly frowned upon in the Catechism)
If you don't think I'd accept the premise that some object was always here without being contingent on anything, then why do you think it's fine to accept that for yourself?
I'm not sure I understand the question; I would also question an object existing that wasn't contingent on anything else. If you're referring to God, I'll answer that momentarily.
You can't assume that the same rules of our universe apply to before the Big Bang. One planck time after the Big Bang, our universe and all of our physics as we know it apply. Before then, we don't know because our current models of physics break down.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_the_universe

You are getting caught up in the semantics of what "nothing" is and that makes you feel like that is a contradiction in the first law of thermodynamics. Matter is energy and energy is matter, and if the total energy of the system is the same from the beginning of the Big Bang until now, then nothing is contradictory.
By "nothing," I mean very specifically that--no quarks of matter, no energy, no vacuum of emptiness, no actual laws of existence itself.
If you're trying to make a case for what was around before the Big Bang, you can't because "before" implies time, and we don't know if time exists before the Big Bang because all of our models of physics break down the further back we try to extrapolate.
It's indeed possible that time could not have existed "prior" (for lack of a better word) to the Big Bang, but that still leaves the question hanging in the air of why there is something rather than nothing.

This is something of a sidetrack, but I'm curious which of these three options you feel is most likely:
A) The universe has no explanation; it exists for no reason
B) The universe explains itself
C) The universe has an explanation outside of itself in something that explains itself
1. What is your evidence to support premise 1? We can trace the present forms of all current matter back to their composite fundamental particles to almost the beginning of the Big Bang, but we don't know if there was a cause for that because we can't observe that far back.
Isn't evidence for "everything that began to exist has a cause" all around us? Basically anything, really--my lamp's existence was caused by being manufactured in some factory, my Mounds bar's existence formed from the perfect marriage of dark chocolate and coconut flakes, etc. But more specifically about the matter itself, have we ever observed something coming from nothing? And if it's false, shouldn't we have at least some observations of that happening rather than our scientific method doing nothing but verifying this premise?

2. What is your evidence to support premise 2? The current presentation of the universe as we know it today "began to exist" 14 billion years ago, but that could have been the same matter and energy just arranged in a different way "before" then, but we don't know because we can't observe that far back in time, if time even exists.
In that case, the cause of our universe would just be another universe, which only pushes the discussion back an extra step (what made THAT universe?). I don't think it's an infinite chain either, as all physical systems move toward disorder and decay according to the second law of thermodynamics. If the universe never began to exist (that is, if it was eternal), everything in the universe would have run out of energy long ago.
3. You're trying to prove God, right? If that's they case, why is the word "God" not present at all in either your premises or your conclusion?
I'm not exactly trying to prove God, but pushing back on the claim in this thread that there's no evidence for a reasonable belief the existence of a god. The "cause" mentioned in the conclusion points to the existence of God, but we hadn't really gotten there yet. It's true that one could agree with the premises and conclusion and still push back on the idea that the "cause" could be God, but that's a different part of the discussion with its own ideas to explore.
4. I assume you're talking about an eternal God right? What is the cause of God? And, if God doesn't have a cause, why do you make a special exception for that in violation of Premise 1?
Yes, the God in this case would be eternal, and as such, not "begin to exist" at all. The premises apply to our reality as we know it, not things outside of that. If the first cause created all space and time, by definition it couldn't be bound by space or time, since it made those things. I believe that this cause of the universe would have to be extremely powerful to make something from nothing. To me, that starts to add up to something like God.

Thanks for the discussion thus far, by the way. But to reiterate, my goal isn't specifically to convince you that God could exist, but to show that people can believe in God without requiring blind faith.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Most people don't go to church or actively practice religion, but theyd still consider themselves believers rather than not. Why? Because it's nicer. It's just a nicer thought.
There's also athiests like me and most of my family (there's a handful of Christian church goers), who dont give a shit. When I read articles about religious people butting heads over which one of their religions or gods is better than the other, it's popcorn material.

But give people credit because a lot of people can somehow make a career out of it. You'll never see any broke priests at Sunday church. They probably all drive a Mercedes.

I dont know how many religions or gods there are people believe in but there's probably 100 different variations of religion coupled with endless gods, demi-gods, myths and other wacky shit that are more attune to making a God of War action game for entertainment than sitting there believing in it for real.

Wildebeest

I don't know why militant atheists think they have a duty to harangue people into turning away from ignorance and barbarism. Let it all rot.

MastaKiiLA

I would've thought the number was much lower. Not sure if being agnostic counts as believing in god, but I feel like agnostics are largely just lazy atheists, or those pseudo-intellectuals who try to tell you that you can't rule anything out.

But those couldn't skew the numbers to what I expect them to be, so I guess there are just a bunch of religious people out there. It's not my cup of tea though. Raised catholic, but hardcore atheist now.

Chaplain

8/10 people in the year 2022 believe in some form of magical sky wizard. That's so insane lol.

The truth claim that life has no ultimate meaning or purpose, that humans are the result of mindless unguided processes, is not a scientific claim but a metaphysical one.

“The basic ideas of reductionism are easily stated: every aspect of human thought and behaviour can ultimately be reduced to the laws of physics, and requires no further or additional explanation. Thus Harvard biologist Edward O. Wilson, one of the founders of sociobiology, argues that social behaviour is to be explained by the principles of biology, biology by the principles of chemistry, and chemistry by the principles of physics. Eventually all higher disciplines will be reduced to nothing but the laws of chemistry and physics." Similarly, Nobel Laureate Francis Crick has argued that the goal of the sciences is to reduce all knowledge to the laws of chemistry and physics: The ultimate aim of the modern movement in biology is in fact to explain all biology in terms of physics and chemistry." The human person is to be seen as 'nothing but a pack of neurons' — that is, a collection of neural networks, which once understood, explain all human behaviour.' (Oxford scientist Alister McGrath, Scientific Theology: Reality, 216)

If we are interested in truth, we need to be humble enough to let go of our presuppositions and follow the evidence wherever it leads.

Last edited:

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
It's a meaningless question unless you first define "God". Also that's a terrifyingly high percentage

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
There are valid, logically sound reasons to be a theist

I'd like to hear just one.

Also your post conflates belief and faith imo. Faith is the essence of religion, as it is a belief that requires no proof. This is why it also can never be rationalized. And if this "god" was just a bootstrap mechanism to kickstart the universe as you seem to think (which is a very limited and human-centric view either way) then why call it god or worship it? Makes zero sense.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom