• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$99 Xbox w/ 2 year $15/month contract official.

Sean

Banned
This is getting ridiculous. "Oh, no! It's not exactly the Black Friday price!"

$277 w/shipping from Amazon third-party seller.
$97 for two years of Live from Amazon.

That makes $374 for the same system (minus extended warranty, which isn't particularly necessary anymore since Jasper from my understanding) compared to $459 for this "deal."

Main point has never changed. There are much better deals available basically year-round. But that's also, again, probably not the point of this move by Microsoft. It's testing the waters for next-gen.

I feel like you are missing the whole point of this, which is that it's a payment plan. It's not supposed to be some amazing deal, just an alternate payment method - cheap upfront cost and monthly payments of just a few bucks rather than spending hundreds of dollars all at once.

Even though you just specc'd out the same bundle for $75 cheaper than MSRP using Amazon, $374 is still a rather big upfront cost that not everyone can afford to pay.

Bgamer90

Banned
How is it a good option? You understand you pay more in the end?

If I didn't want to spend the money all at once I would consider it. I would rather spend $700 over the course of two years than spend $600 for a console all at once.

The extra $100 wouldn't mean much at all to me if it would mean that I would get to enjoy a new console for a year or two more and not have a backlog.

::shrugs shoulders::

Too funny. Exactly what I posted.

When I say better marketed/distributed I simply mean a wider availability and more money into promotions.

I'd bet you see something very similiar to this with next gen launch.

The only problem is that the profit margins on the system itself will be thinner than they are now, and thus, MS will have less room to move on the price of the system.

Maybe we'll see some sort of subsidizing like with cell phones.

How is it a good option? You understand you pay more in the end?

I think he understands that perfectly well.

What you seem to have trouble grasping is that this isn't meant to be a "deal". It's an option for people who don't want to or can't lay out the initial up front cash for the purchase.

Similiar to using an in-house credit account for purchasing.

Karak

Can't wait to see the whining in the next NPD threads.

Regardless of the options for getting a system, old or new options, the NPD thread is always about whining:)
Nothing wrong with options. Hell I have paid more interest than that when borrowing cash from friends back in the lean times. Just one more way to buy.

CTE

How is it a rare exception when in the article they state "The Exceptions Analyst says he believed me, and that XBLPET sometimes make mistakes and are currently very overworked with all these hackings going on."

How I could have made MS "look bad" they did enough by themselves and why they sent him a new xbox 360. After over 3 month the guy gives up and post on cag and they are the ones who fixed the problem with MS with their contacts. The only reason i even heard about this is becase i listen to the cagcast. Not everyone have these contacts....

Who know how many more people this have happen to and my point is that if you do get banned[hacked] and gets this deal....you will have to pay a ETF.

You made them look as bad as possible because you didn't include the part where it was resolved. Regardless of what you post, it makes you look like you have an agenda when you don't include the whole story. Saying I'm the one spinning things is hilarious. Just post a story where it didn't get resolved instead. Would have avoided this whole thing.

gaming_noob

If I didn't want to spend the money all at once I would consider it. I would rather spend $700 over the course of two years than to spend $600 for a console all at once.

The extra $50-100 wouldn't mean much at all to me if it would mean that I would get to enjoy a new console for a year or two more and not have a backlog.

::shrugs shoulders::

You can't really help someone who can't understand this is an option.

So does the contract last longer than the warranty that they give you does?

What's our compensation for a loss time when our system breaks, do they send us a brand new one right away no exceptions? If I don't have a console for two weeks, don't I pay $7 instead?

This is only a wise decision to me if used console prices didn't fall so fast or the console is unrealiable (making used purchase unreliable). It's smarter to wait.

Karak

I really don't get all the people who are upset over this. It's pretty hilarious, actually.

Options are bad:) There are so many options for getting a system 1 more isn't anything to be bothered by for sure. Strangely those terms are far better than terms that have been offered by many other companies for various products, services, what have you. Everyone has to make their own decision on how they get what they want.

USC-fan

Banned
You made them look as bad as possible because you didn't include the part where it was resolved. Regardless of what you post, it makes you look like you have an agenda when you don't include the whole story. Saying I'm the one spinning things is hilarious. Just post a story where it didn't get resolved instead. Would have avoided this whole thing.

LOL dude i did a quick google search and that was the first story. wow.... sorry the story didnt meet your standards.

The point was you can get banned for doing nothing and you would have to pay the ETF. And if you did buy this "deal" I doubt you have $250 to pay the etf or you would have just brought it cheaper out right. Then you have a mark on your credit and debt collections coming after you.

After thinking about it... it would make some fun thread on gaf. "MS stop me from buying a house" and stuff like that when they get their credit wrecked. Or "MS debt collector wont stop callimg me!!" lol Would be some golden threads...

Chaplain

Nintendo has just been attacked by MS a full month before E3. Hopefully Nintendo responds with something as aggressive as this for the Wii-U launch.

MS knows that people are going to look at the Wii U price and their Xbox+Kinect price (during the holidays). I assume their price will stop many people from spending $300 to $400 on the Wii U now.

CTE

LOL dude i did a quick google search and that was the first story. wow.... sorry the story didnt meet your standards.

The point was you can get banned for doing nothing and you would have to pay the ETF. And if you did buy this "deal" I doubt you have $250 to pay the etf or you would have just brought it cheaper out right. Then you have a mark on your credit and debt collections coming after you.

After thinking about it... it would make some fun thread on gaf. "MS stop me from buying a house" and stuff like that when they get there credit wrecked. Or "MS debt collector wont stop callimg me!!" lol Would be some golden threads...

Joke and assume about what will happen all you want. You're making this out to be a big deal when it's nothing at all. You're thinking up worst case possibilities and that can be applied to anything.

You have no idea what would happen if someone got hacked and proved it when on this plan. Unless you have some time machine you'd like to reveal to us.

If someone wants to pay an extra 50 bucks or so over a few years to get their game on now rather than later who are you to care?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Excellent business move with a respectable deal for the customer.

I don't see the bad or the need for bitching.

Some people talk as if MS is pillaging someone lol... Hilarious

USC-fan

Banned
Joke and assume about what will happen all you want. You're making this out to be a big deal when it's nothing at all. You're thinking up worst case possibilities and that can be applied to anything.

You have no idea what would happen if someone got hacked and proved it when on this plan. Unless you have some time machine you'd like to reveal to us.

If someone wants to pay an extra 50 bucks or so over a few years to get their game on now rather than later who are you to care?
An Early Termination Fee (“ETF”) is a charge made to your credit card if any of the following occur:

If you do not return your Console Bundle during the 30 day Return Period, and you cancel your Subscription before the two year term ends;
If you fail to provide an on time, full Subscription payment and we are required to cancel your Subscription; or.
If you violate the Xbox LIVE Terms of Use, resulting in termination of your Xbox LIVE membership.

I going by the TOS... What are you going by? Blind faith?

Why do I care? Because I dont like it and I dont want to be force into ETF when I buy the xbox 720. Like when I have to buy my iphone unless I want to pay more than a ipad for an unlock iphone. Now you say this wont happen and I hope you are right.

Why do I care? Because I dont like it and I dont want to be force into ETF when I buy the xbox 720. Like when I have to buy my iphone unless I want to pay more than a ipad for an unlock iphone. Now you say this wont happen and I hope you are right.

smh No one is forcing you to do anything and there is not one shred of proof of what you're worrying about coming true.

elcranky

Banned
Too funny. Exactly what I posted.

Thanks buddy. I'm david Ramsey type guy and stuff like this that takes advantages of the poor is just wrong.

You do realize that this helps the poor right by providing them a reasonable and affordable way to purchase this bundle of assets? The implied interest rate in this deal is far below that of purchasing on a credit card. To determine if it is a bad deal for the poor you also have to assign a value to the 2 years of utility provided by this bundle. Anyway you slice it is a fantastic deal for the INTENDED consumer.

donny2112

It's not supposed to be some amazing deal, just an alternate payment method - cheap upfront cost and monthly payments of just a few bucks rather than spending hundreds of dollars all at once.

Changing discussion points some, what then is the incentive for Microsoft to price drop the console?

If Microsoft can offer the console for $99* from Day 1, the incentive to drop the price of the console to bring in different tiers of buyers is greatly reduced. Calling it a paradigm shift for the selling of home consoles wouldn't be a stretch, I think.

Now if they did a $99 console and then $15 a month for an On-Live type service for any game you wanted (or up to 4 games a month) might be an amazing shift in perspective for the video game world. Wasn't Gabe Newell talking about video games eventually just becoming a service? That might be a part of such a shift.

JGS

Banned
Makes perfect sense and will be Microsoft'ss standard if no one else's (Sony could have a 3G contract plan...Yes i am kidding)

An 800 dollar console for 399 with contract for mandatory online seems like a win win- Microsft makes money, gamers pay the same price for a much more powerful console and a warranty is thrown in that matches the terms. It reminds me more of the cable lease agreements.

It looks like historically deadbeat debtors can't purchase the thing plan either. That will likely change as it expands though.

sleepykyo

When I say better marketed/distributed I simply mean a wider availability and more money into promotions.

I'd bet you see something very similiar to this with next gen launch.

The only problem is that the profit margins on the system itself will be thinner than they are now, and thus, MS will have less room to move on the price of the system.

Maybe we'll see some sort of subsidizing like with cell phones.

Seems like it. Whatever they eat on the hardware, they know they'll get back either on xbl or the etf.

Heck seems perfect with the focus of being a media center. The new age TiVo/dvr.

Epcott

This will the standard next gen dude.

-$400 console cash
-$99 console with 2 year contract
-"free console" with a 4 year contract

The future is now :(

As long as they replace your eventual RROD and YLOD at no added charge, I'd be happy with that (yeaaaaaah right).

So you're going to use the option you don't like?

I don't know if it is related to today's official announcement or just a coincidence but a handful of 360 games are on sale at microsoftstore.com

ME3-$36
KoA-$45
Street Fighter X Tekken $45
SSX-$40
De Blob 2-$11(it's expensive on Amazon)

And a group of shovelware kinect crap is also on sale.

Maybe they are targeting these new budget owners enticed by cheap up front cost.

malfcn

LOL when little Johnny does COD Hacks and gets banned causes mom and dad to have to pay the early cancellation fee and lose the remaining time on the two year XBL membership to boot.

This was my first thought. Some stupid kid sticks their parents with enormous bills because they think it's cool to make their Avatar skin blue, and tell people to suck their barely pubescent balls.

Sean

Banned
Changing discussion points some, what then is the incentive for Microsoft to price drop the console?

If Microsoft can offer the console for $99* from Day 1, the incentive to drop the price of the console to bring in different tiers of buyers is greatly reduced. Calling it a paradigm shift for the selling of home consoles wouldn't be a stretch, I think.

Now if they did a $99 console and then $15 a month for an On-Live type service for any game you wanted (or up to 4 games a month) might be an amazing shift in perspective for the video game world. Wasn't Gabe Newell talking about video games eventually just becoming a service? That might be a part of such a shift.

Yeah this is an interesting discussion that could probably warrant a new thread.

Launching a brand new console at mass market $99 price (on contract) would be absolutely huge. I think that's the direction the console market and even handheld market (subsidized Vita 3G for example) will eventually go in. Even if it remains an option I expect it to be the most popular option.

So if you don't care about your Gamertag, then it only costs $408 to get the 360, Kinect and Live for 12 months. I don't know if terminating your subscription would affect your credit. But for the package included $408 seems to be priced on the low side. Bizarre that this system can cost so much so far into it's life. Kinect isn't that good and 4GB is pretty damn small never mind that this generation is probably almost over.

I do agree with this type of pricing scheme for next get systems though if the games are present and the initial cost is low enough. I think that a lot more people would be willing to pay in this manner which would result in more people entering the next generation sooner than they otherwise would. If MS offers additional services to flesh this out (and maybe some game deals like PS+) then this could be a very interesting alternative.

Korosenai

In my opinion, it just seems dumb to be tied down to a contract for a video game consoles online features, especially when I just got two years of gold off ebay for about $60 total a couple of months ago.

Seems like this should be sold at Walmart, not Microsoft Stores in California.

That's surely the long term goal. The logistical issues make it difficult to launch something like that quickly though. Think employee training (like cellphones), retailer incentive, distribution, etc.

Better to start where you control all the angles, in your own store. Keeps it relatively small time, too, while you work out the kinks.

That's surely the long term goal. The logistical issues make it difficult to launch something like that quickly though. Think employee training (like cellphones), retailer incentive, distribution, etc.

Better to start where you control all the angles, in your own store. Keeps it relatively small time, too, while you work out the kinks.

Yeah, makes sense for a phase 1 roll- out in that regard absolutely. Test it in their own stores, see what reception is, then roll it out. Just not sure if they'll see incremental benefits for where they're testing it. Interesting stuff nonetheless. I like it when companies get more innovative with their pricing.

Now let's see if the console manufacturers/publishers can get more innovative with software pricing...

I'm not sure that we are going to see this deal at other retailers. Gaming hardware doesn't really have the profit margins that cell phone hardware(especially at launch) does so there wouldn't be enough money to go around between the retailer and Microsoft if Microsoft had to cut in a 3rd party.

Plus, it also will be a unique thing that could help drive traffic to their stores which will help them out as they launch W8 and WP8 this fall and into 2013. The stores are a big pet project of Ballmer and the COO(who spent 20 years at Walmart) so this could be something they have cooked up to give them a boost.

Top Bottom