• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A decade ago, Danny Boyle treated us to the best spaceship crew in Sunshine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Third act aside, It's such an enjoyable rewatch. I adore this film. It's interesting that after all these years the scene were Capa sends his last message is the one that stayed with me the most. I just love how quiet and stunning the whole thing is(the soundtrack is godly). It's an extremely beautiful movie that still holds up so well, top 5 sci-fi material for sure.

230_1_1080p.jpg

230_19_1080p.jpg

230_4_1080p.jpg

230_13_1080p.jpg

The bluray is also demo material. I highly recommend it.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Event Horizon was better...

One day I need to watch this film to understand what the hell is up with it.

Some people talk about it like it's one of the greats but it has a 24% on RT and I see an equal amount of people clown on it like it's some b-tier movie.

I absolutely love this movie!

The OST is on normal rotation at my workplace music.
Also, there are many visuals I truly like, I LOVE the final Capa looking at the sun scene.

closer013

One day I need to watch this film to understand what the hell is up with it.

Some people talk about it like it's one of the greats but it has a 24% on RT and I see an equal amount of people clown on it like it's some b-tier movie.

I think much of my appreciation for it is that is a good horror movie told in space and I think Laurence Fishburne and Sam Neil are great in this movie.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is it possible to make a "realistic" hard scifi movie about a ship going somewhere without it turning into Alien or some other horror thing? It feels like horror is the only way people can think of to end these movies.

closer013

Is it possible to make a "realistic" hard scifi movie about a ship going somewhere without it turning into Alien or some other horror thing? It feels like horror is the only way people can think of to end these movies.

Agreed, is Interstellar considered hard SciFi?

The ending of the movie really isn't as bad as people make it out to be. I wonder if it's just that popular opinion and people jump on it

I remember sitting in the theater knowing nothing and still hating it. My problem is all the tension and conflict is there without the elements that ruined the third act for me.
When it sinks in that they can no longer contact their loved ones it an incredibly touching moment. Then the shit went all event horizon.

I do want to give it another watch ten years later and see how I feel.

bsp

Interstellar was great at this but they still had to incorporate some suspense/death from Damon's character freaking out. At least it wasn't an alien.

I would love more glimpses of space-exploration in movies that left out disastrous findings and horror elements. The risks of actual space flight are tense enough for a film.

EGM1966

2001?

There's some drama with Hal but it's handled with sublime restraint and the film never shows any signs of worrying about being crowd pleasing (blessed Kubrick) and sticks to its intellectual guns throughout.

Just to add, the movie had a great tone throughout and a really weird sense of unease. The way they talk about the sun really gave me cosmic horror vibes throughout. Probably why the slasher man didn't bother me at all.

Man, the more I think about this film. The more I rank it as one of my favourites. Artistically speaking, it's an incredibly well shot and directed movie. The score is one of the GOAT as well.

Just to add, the movie had a great tone throughout and a really weird sense of unease. The way they talk about the sun really gave me cosmic horror vibes throughout. Probably why the slasher man didn't bother me at all.

Man, the more I think about this film. The more I rank it as one of my favourites. Artistically speaking, it's an incredibly well shot and directed movie. The score is one of the GOAT as well.

I agree. The villains decent into madness fit pretty well with some of the ideas put forth in the film.

Sande

It was possibly the best movie I've seen until... you know. I absolutely loathed the end.

I've been thinking about watching it again to see if I'll love (and hate) it as much as the first time around.

Except for the part where Capa volunteers to help fix the shield with Kaneda. wtf was that about?
What do you mean? He was as qualified as any of the others whose job it wasn't to help. He felt responsible for their predicament so agreed to volunteer on Mace's suggestion.

Not really hard to understand.

Zoe

What do you mean? He was as qualified as any of the others whose job it wasn't to help. He felt responsible for their predicament so agreed to volunteer on Mace's suggestion.

Not really hard to understand.

They had just hammered in the point how he was the only one who could deliver the payload, so I understand the criticism.

NoRéN

Ah, yes, otherwise known as the big hyped sci-fi movie that despite being visually brilliant, had an annoying crew and was a huge let down by the end. Prometheus before Prometheus.
Fuck! This is just stupid. Lol

I think you may have your movies confused.

The ending of the movie really isn't as bad as people make it out to be. I wonder if it's just that popular opinion and people jump on it

I agree.

I think the general complaint is how the final 30 minutes or so of the film changes the tone and feel of the film. Overall though, it's a fantastic movie that got overshadowed by the release of Revenge of the Sith a few months prior so it never had a chance to build an early audience.

Still two thirds of a great film. The last act falls apart I agree, but even then there are still some interesting ideas explored. Great cast too, and John Murphy's music is so good of course. It's the last piece of actual film music I can really remember being overused by trailers.

DiscoJer

But doesn't one of the crew go crazy? I only saw it once a year after it came out and wasn't impressed.

I think 2001 is the only move (well, besides Apollo 13) that accurately portrays astronauts as calm, cool, and rational, not angst ridden teenagers who fall apart under pressure.

Beyond that, the premise is out of 1950s kids space serial The sun going out and needs to be re-ignited by a nuclear bomb? And somehow it has to be delivered by people? That doesn't just break the laws of physics, it breaks the laws of common sense.

I don't know. I like the 3rd half of the movie just as much as the rest. There's hints as to the direction it is heading in basically within the first 20 mins of the movie.

Ashhong

The thing with Sunshine is that yes, it could have been a better/different movie with a different 3rd act. However, once you accept that change, you realize that the movie is still an amazing movie even with that 3rd act. Different, sure. But amazing nonetheless

Wow

Okay, I've felt the same way as a lot of the other posts in this thread, regarding the third act, but I've been reading a lot of Lovecraft and cosmic horror recently, and I had never considered Sunshine from that perspective

But now I got to see it again. Reading your comment and similar ones on the internet...that third act suddenly makes so much more sense in that context.

Wow

Okay, I've felt the same way as a lot of the other posts in this thread, regarding the third act, but I've been reading a lot of Lovecraft and cosmic horror recently, and I had never considered Sunshine from that perspective

But now I got to see it again. Reading your comment and similar ones on the internet...that third act suddenly makes so much more sense in that context.

Well, yeah, Sunshine gets better every single time I rewatch it. Seriously pay attention to the dialogue. The 3rd act wasn't pulled out of nowhere. The beauty of the sun legit is getting to them from the very beginning of the movie.

Gattsu25

Banned
This film was on track to being one of my favorite sci-fi films of all time. Yeah, the crew were especially awesome.

However, then the movie decides to devolve into some wack Friday The 13th knock off and it really really really knocks itself down several dozen pegs. It's one of my greatest disappointments in film since it started off so amazing and falls off so hard.

Edit: It hurts even more because this film had some of the best cinematography in years. However, when they introduce their iteration on Jason the film goes out of its way to ruin its look.

Plot? In the tank post-reveal.
Cinematography? In the tank post-reveal.
Character arcs? In the tank post-reveal.
Realism? In the tank post-reveal.
Tension? In the tank post-reveal.
Cohesion? In the tank post-reveal.
Stakes? In the tank post-reveal.

InfernoNR

Pretty sure this ranks at number 2 in my all-time favorite movies. Love that score so much, and the imagery it's tied to... so good.

Replicant

At least no one in this spaceship act like a dumbass. Selfish, crazy, or mission-focused? Yes. But none of them ever engage in Darwinian award like that guy from "Prometheus" who thinks fondling a snake-like creature in an uncharted world is a great idea.

Mace is the best character though. Shame he's not the lead. And the 3rd act is GOAT.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I didn't mind the change up near the end, I actually enjoyed it instead of the crew turning on each other or something more expected. Then again I really enjoy movies that change it up genre and stylewise part way through much like what happens in Dusk Till Dawn about half way through. I can understand why people wouldn't like it but I thought it complimented the first parts in a weird way. This is on top of the fact the movie has amazing cinematography, the characters never act overtly stupid, the score is excellent and I love a lot of the metaphysical elements.

Edit: I also thought the third act was pretty well telegraphed. I was shocked at what happened but they'd be foreshadowing something along those lines for the entire movie.

Zom

Banned
Maaan I feel you, this movie is so good, the score, the cinematography, everything was amazing, I have seen it like a millon times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom